Unable to do OTA from 1.09

Search This thread

stampy101

Jun 26, 2012
Portland
I have a AT&T One X rooted
HBOOT-1.09.0000
RADIO-0.17.32.09.12

I am attempting to do the OTA's or RUU to bring it up to current because I realized since I had not touched it since first purchased and rooted so none of the OTA's went through. I never gave myself time allowed to figure out how to send them.

Well now I'm trying and I have gotten myself in to a hot mess.

I first tried using the FUU Upgrades provided by Flashalot but it said "wrong update" and I could not find a reason. I backed up a couple and tried 2.14. Well eventually it just stayed at the fastboot "HTC" screen for nearly an hour and appeared locked up. So I pulled it and rebooted. It would not let me get past the boot up screen until I cleared cache's and went back to my stock rom (cmod 10).

Now it will not mount "SD Card" when connected USB and in TWRP. I am also unable to download any files to it via browser or launched phone because it says no SD Card installed.

I attempted to send any of the OTA's via fastboot and it hangs (giving it hours...overnight even). I did writecid 11111111 before sending some with same results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
HBOOT-1.09.0000
RADIO-0.17.32.09.12

I am attempting to do the OTA's or RUU to bring it up to current because I realized since I had not touched it since first purchased and rooted so none of the OTA's went through. I never gave myself time allowed to figure out how to send them.

I first tried using the FUU Upgrades provided by Flashalot but it said "wrong update" and I could not find a reason. I backed up a couple and tried 2.14. Well eventually it just stayed at the fastboot "HTC" screen for nearly an hour and appeared locked up. So I pulled it and rebooted. It would not let me get past the boot up screen until I cleared cache's and went back to my stock rom (cmod 10).

Now it will not mount "SD Card" when connected USB and in TWRP. I am also unable to download any files to it via browser or launched phone because it says no SD Card installed.

I attempted to send any of the OTA's via fastboot and it hangs (giving it hours...overnight even). I did writecid 11111111 before sending some with same results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

First question is do you have s-off?

Second question is did you perform a factory reset from the bootloader at some point? I ask this because it looks like your sd card is corrupt, and that's what happens when you perform a factory reset from the bootloader on a modified Evita. Either way I believe you need to wipe your sd card with TWRP before it'll become usable again. If it still isn't usable after a wipe, try mounting it to your PC again so you can format it with Windows.

My last question is what is your end goal? Are you wanting to run a stock ROM and that's why you're wanting to install OTA updates? The rule of thumb for modified phones is to never install OTA updates on them. If you're just looking to update to the latest/latest needed firmware, you can just flash a firmware package or run an RUU. You must have s-off to do this though.

Another thing I should mention is that you don't use fastboot to install OTA updates. It seems like you're not exactly sure about what you're doing, which can be a very dangerous thing when messing with a modified device. I think you need to do a bit more research before continuing ahead. Tell me exactly what your end goal is though and I'll provide as much information as I can.

Sent from my Evita

Last edited:
Reactions: stampy101

stampy101

Jun 26, 2012
Portland
FUBAR?

Second question is did you perform a factory reset from the bootloader at some point? I ask this because it looks like your sd card is corrupt, and that's what happens when you perform a factory reset from the bootloader on a modified Evita. Either way I believe you need to wipe your sd card with TWRP before it'll become usable again. If it still isn't usable after a wipe, try mounting it to your PC again so you can format it with Windows.

My last question is what is your end goal? Are you wanting to run a stock ROM and that's why you're wanting to install OTA updates? The rule of thumb for modified phones is to never install OTA updates on them. If you're just looking to update to the latest/latest needed firmware, you can just flash a firmware package or run an RUU. You must have s-off to do this though.

Another thing I should mention is that you don't use fastboot to install OTA updates. It seems like you're not exactly sure about what you're doing, which can be a very dangerous thing when messing with a modified device. I think you need to do a bit more research before continuing ahead. Tell me exactly what your end goal is though and I'll provide as much information as I can.

Sent from my Evita

OK So it sounds like I've probably corrupted my memory from what you are saying. Any going back?

1. S-Off. I'm going with no. It was 2 years ago when I rooted it and installed CM10. I do not recall doing this but just flashing CM.
1a. Attempting to do it now just shows error 99 unknown error...
2. Yes. I do believe that I had hit the factory reset. Attempting to do the wipe in TWRP shows "success" but it also shows it could not mount E:\
2a. Still will not let me turn on USB storage. It just spins for a while and ends up giving up when the display is changed.
3. End goal...I could care less about root. I've always used modded ROM's and prefer them. I only did "OTA" when the RUU would not take. I became a bull in a china shop and started banging with a hammer...Was dumb but I think I had already corrupted the memory by hitting factory reset. (I'll be honest I never meant to hit that).

I've rooted and installed many a custom ROM's, but I prefer the simple methods of following one of the many awesome easy setups on here. I'm not completely useless...

I would like to get it back to the SD card working and be able to update the firmware and a moderately functioning ROM.

Thank you for any help. I really do appreciate it.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
OK So it sounds like I've probably corrupted my memory from what you are saying. Any going back?

1. S-Off. I'm going with no. It was 2 years ago when I rooted it and installed CM10. I do not recall doing this but just flashing CM.
2. Yes. I do believe that I had hit the factory reset. Attempting to do the wipe in TWRP shows "success" but it also shows it could not mount E:\
2a. Still will not let me turn on USB storage. It just spins for a while and ends up giving up when the display is changed.
3. End goal...I could care less about root. I've always used modded ROM's and prefer them. I only did "OTA" when the RUU would not take. I became a bull in a china shop and started banging with a hammer...Was dumb but I think I had already corrupted the memory by hitting factory reset. (I'll be honest I never meant to hit that).

I've rooted and installed many a custom ROM's, but I prefer the simple methods of following one of the many awesome easy setups on here. I'm not completely useless...

I would like to get it back to the SD card working and be able to update the firmware and a moderately functioning ROM.

There's no point in attempting s-off at the moment because s-off requires that a working OS is installed. You can tell whether you're s-off by looking at your bootloader, it'll say s-on or s-off in the first line under the unlocked and tampered banners.

Your problem with your sd might be that the version of TWRP you have installed is too old, only the newer versions are able to fix a corrupt sd card. Download TWRP 2.6 from here. Put the file in your fastboot folder. Connect phone in fastboot mode, open command prompt from within fastboot folder, issue the following commands:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"
(the exact filename, minus the talking marks)

Code:
fastboot erase cache
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now try wiping and mounting the sd card again. Once we have that sorted out we can move onto getting your firmware updated.

Sent from my Evita

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Now you can copy files across to flash. You'll need to get s-off now so you can update your firmware. You'll need a bootable OS installed to do that, I'd suggest installing Kickdroid and then you can attempt getting s-off via the Rumrunner method.

Sent from my Evita

stampy101

Jun 26, 2012
Portland
S-Off and firmware updated and running with different ROM's. I'm golden man. Unless you can think of something I should consider?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hey there, I just noticed you made a donation to me with this thread as the reference. I just wanted to thank you, that's very generous of you. Donations aren't expected in return for my assistance but are greatly appreciated. Anyway, thanks again and have a great day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HBOOT-1.09.0000
    RADIO-0.17.32.09.12

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my Evita

There's no point in attempting s-off at the moment because s-off requires that a working OS is installed. You can tell whether you're s-off by looking at your bootloader, it'll say s-on or s-off in the first line under the unlocked and tampered banners.

Your problem with your sd might be that the version of TWRP you have installed is too old, only the newer versions are able to fix a corrupt sd card. Download TWRP 2.6 from here. Put the file in your fastboot folder. Connect phone in fastboot mode, open command prompt from within fastboot folder, issue the following commands:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"
    (the exact filename, minus the talking marks)

Code:
    fastboot erase cache
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now try wiping and mounting the sd card again. Once we have that sorted out we can move onto getting your firmware updated.

Sent from my Evita
    Now you can copy files across to flash. You'll need to get s-off now so you can update your firmware. You'll need a bootable OS installed to do that, I'd suggest installing Kickdroid and then you can attempt getting s-off via the Rumrunner method.

Sent from my Evita
    How far have you gotten?

Sent from my Evita
    As long as you're on the 2.15 firmware or higher, you are indeed golden. I was just curious.

Sent from my Evita