[Q] Flashing ROM & Restoring Apps ect

Search This thread

smokawhat

May 12, 2014
If I flash a ROM and then want to restore all my apps and data, why should I use Titanium?

1. So I see that my google "Backup account" can backup my data and restore apps and there settings and data. So why use Titanium?

2. whats the difference between googles backup and Titanium's?

3. Can I use both together when restoring? I assume google will restore first and then I will restore from Titanium... Is there any reason to restore from google account?

4. And then there's TWRP and its backup: what I understand about this is if I do a backup before I flash Viper Rom then I can flash my backup if I want to return to my old ROM and it will restore the ROM and apps and all data (so I wouldn't need to restore from Titanium and/or google in this scenario?). Is this correct?

Thanks, smoka

n0ne980

Jun 25, 2014
the app data that is being talked about is rarely 3rd party app data.

http://www.howtogeek.com/140376/htg-explains-what-android-data-is-backed-up-automatically/

titanium lets you back up apps whenever you please it even lets you keep old copies around if for some reason there is something in an update you don't like.

your assumptions on TWRP are spot on however if you make a backup today and a month down the road you decide to flash back all your apps have data from a month ago and you loose all your new stuff.

Titanium also lets you extract data from a TWRP or CWM backup. at least on an M8 I've only gotten it to work if the backup is on the "internal sd card"

Titanium pro has a lot of additional features scheduled backups. you can sync to a google drive, dropbox, or box account. backing up only data/apps that have changed.

http://matrixrewriter.com/android/

also if you have backups of everything and all you have is a metered net connection you can reinstall the apps without dipping into whatever data pool you have.

Reactions: smokawhat

smokawhat

May 12, 2014

http://www.howtogeek.com/140376/htg-explains-what-android-data-is-backed-up-automatically/

titanium lets you back up apps whenever you please it even lets you keep old copies around if for some reason there is something in an update you don't like.

your assumptions on TWRP are spot on however if you make a backup today and a month down the road you decide to flash back all your apps have data from a month ago and you loose all your new stuff.

Titanium also lets you extract data from a TWRP or CWM backup. at least on an M8 I've only gotten it to work if the backup is on the "internal sd card"

Titanium pro has a lot of additional features scheduled backups. you can sync to a google drive, dropbox, or box account. backing up only data/apps that have changed.

also if you have backups of everything and all you have is a metered net connection you can reinstall the apps without dipping into whatever data pool you have.

ok, so what if I do a Titanium backup and then use TWRP to restore from a backup "a month ago" and then will I still have my most resent Titanium backup to restore or will restoring the TWRP backup erase all my current data (titanium backup) on my phone?

thanks for you response

n0ne980

Jun 25, 2014
TWRP will not remove your Titanium backups unless you specifically tell it to wipe your sd card (sdcard2) or your personal data partition(sdcard1) depending on where you have it set to back things up to.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
ok, so what if I do a Titanium backup and then use TWRP to restore from a backup "a month ago" and then will I still have my most resent Titanium backup to restore or will restoring the TWRP backup erase all my current data (titanium backup) on my phone?

thanks for you response
TWRP takes a snapshot of your system in time. I you do a TWRP nandroid, by default it will copy your /boot, /system, /recovery and /data partitions. Think of it like a restore point in Windows Restore - except better ;)
Titanium Backup is more specific (and also or more limited): You use it for your apps and their data.
It becomes useful if you do a clean install as in: wiping your data partition.
Yes, you can also do a partial restore from TWRP and just restore the data partition of any given nandroid after a clean install, but since it's an image of your /data before the wipe it will also restore potential problems. Restoring with TiBu is somewhat "cleaner" since it re-installs your apps from a backup.
I make a nandroid of my system when I want to flash something new - a new rom or new mod - but I want to keep my option to return to my last working setup.
I use TiBu to reinstall my apps after a clean install.
Anyway - you can never have too many backups :laugh:

smokawhat

May 12, 2014
TWRP takes a snapshot of your system in time. I you do a TWRP nandroid, by default it will copy your /boot, /system, /recovery and /data partitions. Think of it like a restore point in Windows Restore - except better ;)
Titanium Backup is more specific (and also or more limited): You use it for your apps and their data.
Yes, you can also do a partial restore from TWRP and just restore the data partition of any given nandroid after a clean install, but since it's an image of your /data before the wipe it will also restore potential problems. Restoring with TiBu is somewhat "cleaner" since it re-installs your apps from a backup.
I make a nandroid of my system when I want to flash something new - a new rom or new mod - but I want to keep my option to return to my last working setup.

What is TiBu?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TWRP will not remove your Titanium backups unless you specifically tell it to wipe your sd card (sdcard2) or your personal data partition(sdcard1) depending on where you have it set to back things up to.

thanks for you response