[ROM] OaT's Light n Tasty: DISCONTINUED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
I generally don't clutter dev threads with thank you posts, just hit the thanks button. But, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your time and effort.

I'd been using the nightlies with little to no issues but decided to try your 3/31 and liked it. So, now about to flash 4/18. Also, I like your overall approach to the rom regarding the LnT, as well as your demeanor in this forum. Really nice job!

Btw, you may be Old And Treacherous but I'm Old And Tired. :p Thanks again.

Mike T

And I'm OaF... Old and Fat :p

Hip, hip, hooray for the O.a.X's! :D

Reactions: nimms and swear0730

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Just flashed 4/18 and tested a few things. Everything seems to be working fine so far. The only hiccup I noticed was with Netflix, when selecting a movie for the first time on load, there is no sound. Backing out of the movie and then playing again fixes it. Btw, it's random as it doesn't happen every time.

Quite frankly, I don't remember if this may have already existed with the previous nightlies without the new Adreno drivers??? Anyway, seeing as how it's easily corrected, not a big deal to me. Thanks.

Mike T

Last edited:

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Sorry, I know this is another non-dev post but I did really LOL at that. :D Thanks for the laugh.

On another note, @OaT could you take a look at SuperSu, made by Chainfire on XDA forum? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

It has a more ICS look and works well, I've been using it on my TP & now on my KF ICS builds for almost a month, replacing Superuser. There's an interesting feature to temporarily unroot, I haven't tried this but it could be useful for services like some movies etc. that won't allow rooted devices.

Anyway, take a look and if you like it, maybe you can replace Superuser in your future builds. Thanks.

Mike T

I'm trying it now and it looks interesting! You want to test this on a modified version B?

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
I'm trying it now and it looks interesting! You want to test this on a modified version B?

Got your PM, I'll check it out but it's been running fine on my TP and so far, it's been recognizing everything that needs root access.

EDIT: Making a nandroid now and will flash mod B...will let you know.

Mike T

Last edited:

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Got your PM, I'll check it out but it's been running fine on my TP and so far, it's been recognizing everything that needs root access.

EDIT: Making a nandroid now and will flash mod B...will let you know.

Mike T

Just sent you another PM with some of the things I initially saw when I flashed mod B. But everything has been fine since.

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Just sent you another PM with some of the things I initially saw when I flashed mod B. But everything has been fine since.

Got it, just replied. Glad it's been working well for you, I really like the look, kinda' brings an "old standard" into the ICS era. :D

Btw, I don't d/l from Play Store, I just embed it right into the rom zipfile so it's a system file immediately and doesn't have to replace Superuser's domain. I believe this avoids any initial conflicts with apps looking for root and relying on Superuser being there. Don't know if that could make a difference on a first boot???

Of course, this is just a semi-educated guess. :cool:

EDIT: Short time but I've had no issues. I ran every app that I have that needs root, updated the su binaries, rebooted a couple of times, powered up/down and it's working great. I'll keep it on my TP overnight and post again tomorrow. As an aside 4/18B seems to be fine, wifi is steady and the only thing I've noticed is that when you turn wifi off/on, takes about 15s to come back on. But for me, this is not unique to this build. I've been seeing this on recent builds I've tried overall.

Mike T

Last edited:

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Got it, just replied. Glad it's been working well for you, I really like the look, kinda' brings an "old standard" into the ICS era. :D

Btw, I don't d/l from Play Store, I just embed it right into the rom zipfile so it's a system file immediately and doesn't have to replace Superuser's domain. I believe this avoids any initial conflicts with apps looking for root and relying on Superuser being there. Don't know if that could make a difference on a first boot???

Of course, this is just a semi-educated guess. :cool:

EDIT: Short time but I've had no issues. I ran every app that I have that needs root, updated the su binaries, rebooted a couple of times, powered up/down and it's working great. I'll keep it on my TP overnight and post again tomorrow. As an aside 4/18B seems to be fine, wifi is steady and the only thing I've noticed is that when you turn wifi off/on, takes about 15s to come back on. But for me, this is not unique to this build. I've been seeing this on recent builds I've tried overall.

Mike T

@OaT

Ok, one small hiccup this morning with the modified B version. When I first powered up, all apps requiring root were working properly. Matter of fact, I use No Frills CPU, which requires root at startup and it worked perfectly. However, I decided to go into the SuperSu app to check the log and it wouldn't open, the loading icon just kept spinning. I was able to just back out of the app and upon testing my rooted apps, all were working.

I rebooted my TP but the app still wouldn't open, so I cleared data and rebooted. This cleared it up and the app opened without issue. I was using your A version, so I restored my backup from last night and the same thing happened on the initial boot. However, this time just a reboot got the SuperSu app to open. I probably never noticed this for the 3+ weeks I've been using it, because all rooting privileges were working, I applied my settings and didn't have to go into the app.

I like the SuperSu app and for me, it's a minor issue, so I'm going to keep it on my TP. Being that you distribute your rom, you may just want to keep the "Old Faithful", superuser. I'm going to post my issue in Chainfire's SuperSu thread, see if I get a response/solution.

Also, your A & B worked equally well for me as I really don't have any wifi issue, so which would you recommend? Do you suggest I just stick with the new kernel A version? Thanks.

Mike T

Reactions: O.a.T.

LinuxNewb

Jul 21, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Version A did not work very well for me. On my previous 3/30 build I had the dreaded "Authentication Error" with WiFi and the I had to clear cache and dalvik along with fixing permissions. Version A had similar authentication issues and I'm only running WPA2 on my home WiFi.

Switched to Version B and my WiFi connected right upon startup. I am using Apex launcher and I've noticed the transitions are a little slower than on the previous build.

@Oats - Have you messaged the CM9 devs to let them know their recent kernel changes doesn't work with the ath6kl drivers?

Last edited:

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
@OaT

Ok, one small hiccup this morning with the modified B version. When I first powered up, all apps requiring root were working properly. Matter of fact, I use No Frills CPU, which requires root at startup and it worked perfectly. However, I decided to go into the SuperSu app to check the log and it wouldn't open, the loading icon just kept spinning. I was able to just back out of the app and upon testing my rooted apps, all were working.

Mike T

By any chance, did you have wifi running when you decided to go into SuperSU? This reminds me of what happened to me yesterday, which I mentioned in my PM to you, on my first entry into SuperSU with wifi running. On the other hand, started up my TP this morning, without wifi running, went into SuperSU and all was well.

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Version A did not work very well for me. On my previous 3/30 build I had the dreaded "Authentication Error" with WiFi and the I had to clear cache and dalvik along with fixing permissions. Version A had similar authentication issues and I'm only running WPA2 on my home WiFi.

Switched to Version B and my WiFi connected right upon startup. I am using Apex launcher and I've noticed the transitions are a little slower than on the previous build.

@Oats - Have you messaged the CM9 devs to let them know their recent kernel changes doesn't work with the ath6kl drivers?

Re: wifi. If you've had problems with wifi, I would definitely recommend version B as it has the ath6kl drivers that the March 31 version did. I have not gotten a response about the apparent incompatibility with the new kernel and the ath6kl drivers.

Re: slowdown. Has there been an update on Apex launcher recently, that may be causing the slowdown? Although, I believe I too have noticed a general slowdown in both A & B, but definitely more noticeable in A with the new kernel. There may be some additional "overhead" in all the updates over the last couple of weeks that is adding a bit of drag on the system.

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
By any chance, did you have wifi running when you decided to go into SuperSU? This reminds me of what happened to me yesterday, which I mentioned in my PM to you, on my first entry into SuperSU with wifi running. On the other hand, started up my TP this morning, without wifi running, went into SuperSU and all was well.

Yeah, I always have it running. I have wifi settings to Keep Wifi on during sleep to Always. Then I use Green Power to override the wifi sleep policy, which allows the wifi to turn off automatically when the screen is off, since this is not yet functional in CM9. This seems to save a bit of battery for me.

Anyway, I just powered on from off, as well as reboot from system a few times and I was able to open the SuperSU app without issue. Also, I have SuperSU on my Kindle Fire running the latest CM9 and it works fine.

I just disabled CyanogenMod statistics, wanna' see if that makes any difference, as that loads on startup and seems to pop up in notifications just as my wifi icon is appearing. Sorry, Dalingrin, I'll re-enable it after a little testing. ;)

Mike T

Nos0x

Apr 25, 2006
Staffs
Installed version B, very happy with it so far, seems a tiny bit slower than the last ROM I had on (one of the CherryKang ROMs) but seems to have more stability.

Zombie138

Dec 28, 2011
I flashed A and its been working great so far. Thanks for the great work

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using XDA

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
News section in OP updated. Am especially interested in everyone's thoughts about an "LNT + Cornerstone" version.

Reactions: swear0730

viskon

May 4, 2011
News section in OP updated. Am especially interested in everyone's thoughts about an "LNT + Cornerstone" version.

That would be wonderful!!! I am currently using antiphon's rom and I swear it is awesome. Being unable to connect to wifi after reboot is the biggest irritant on that rom. I would love the legendary reliability of LnT with the awesomeness of Cornerstone.

Edit: I was secretly hoping you would take this up.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

viskon

May 4, 2011
IMHO, other than a novelty I really don't see cornerstone as a positive addition. To me it seems to get away from the LnT concept and possibly opens the door to incompatibilities. Just my to $.02

For people (like me) that also use the tablet for academics- reading books and taking notes from the books- Cornerstone is a godsend. I have the ebook open in one window and can type in my notes on Evernote in another window. No more clumsy switching between apps :thumbup:

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background
    As a bit of background, I publicly posted ROMs on PPCGeeks for the HTC Touch w/WinMo several years ago. Since then, I continue to develop ROMs primarily for family and friends on the EVO4G, LG Optimus, Acer A500, and of course the HP TouchPad. After an initial testing period by a group of volunteers here at XDA (thank you, thank you, thank you), I have decided to publicly release this ROM. I hope you enjoy it.

Philosophy and Acknowledgements
    My emphasis has always been on a very light and fast ROM that leaves plenty of room for one's own apps and customizations. My HP TouchPad ROM is based on a very stripped down KANG of the latest CM9 version (big thanks to Dalingrin, JCSullins, and all the other TPad devs that have brought this capability to us) that supports HW Video (meaning Netflix and HD YouTube) and all the other goodies you have come to know and love.

In addition there are also a few other treats thrown in, primarily,
    • the recently released QualComm adreno 2xx drivers,
    • the init.d tweaks published by Rohan,
    • the new ath6kl wifi drivers being incorporated into the 3.0 kernel,
    • the new HD Tablet launcher by the "Go" folks.

Big thanks to all the folks associated with these for their generosity in publicly providing these tweaks. Finally, I also employ a very stripped down version of the latest version of GApps that I will also link to. You can use the full version of GApps found elsewhere, but that will then somewhat defeat the intent of this ROM. The attached pics will give you some idea of what to expect. The benchmarks are all "typical" of the results I get on a non-overclocked CPU running at ~1.2GHz.

Updates
    In terms of updates, I actually build the ROM and the kernel almost on a daily basis so my older AMD quadcore isn't tortured with having to handle an extraordinary number of new commits. But that doesn't mean I flash almost daily. It all depends on what looks significant, if I really want to try something new, or if I'm just bored :eek:. You can find out what's new in the below "News" section of this OP to find out what's the latest on my front.

Flashing and .apk's
    Of course, all the standard cautions about doing the necessary backups (nandroids, titanium, or my backup) and the requirement for a complete set of wipes/formats (data, cache, system, dalvik) apply. Actually, I only find it necessary to wipe cache and dalvik between flashes of my own ROM. I also flash Gapps anew after each ROM flash. If you like experimenting with the other available ROMs, I advise a complete set of wipes and formats. And of course, you are flashing at your own risk.

Any .apk's included below need to be placed in the system/app directory with a rooted file manager, e.g. es file explorer, ensuring the permissions are the same as other .apk's in that directory, followed by a reboot. Unless, otherwise noted.

News
    08/30/12
    • DISCONTINUED

Links
    OaT's "Light n Tasty" GApps:

OaT's "Light n Tasty" ROMs:
    Plan on posting "final" CM9-based LnT this weekend, including a new BEATS audio and a few other ROM refinements, this weekend. Then I'm just going to hunker down and try working with CM10. We'll see how that goes. :confused:
    JB & LnT Update (as I currently see it)

First, I am seeing a lot of activity on the repo as the JB packages are even now being readied and moved into the new tree. The process, I believe, is to "finish" up CM9 with a stable RC2 then fully concentrate on CM10. Since CM10 is a "minor" update (4.0.4 ->> 4.1.1) CM9 will ultimately be abandoned with only CM7 (Gingerbread - 2.X) and CM10 (4.x) being maintained (Honeycomb - 3.X was never publicly released). I don't know how long this will take; could be anywhere from a few weeks to several months, but it has been said that any device that was supported on CM9 will be supported on CM10. Of course, a lot of that will depend on the developers who have specifically contributed to the TPad to rebase their work as necessary.

In terms of updates to LnT, I'm planning one more update sometime this month and then I'll hunker down and wait for JB, as I'm guessing there will only be minor improvements to the current state. Of course, should something major/interesting show up (e.g. the camera) or I get bored :silly:, I will adapt. Finally, I've decided to not go the direct AOSP JB route and just wait for CM JB.

Bottom line, because of the quality of the Touch Pad developers, I firmly believe our lowly TPs will be one of the early recipients of a sleek new JB including some interesting capabilities, e.g. Google Now.
    LnT JB Posted Including LnT JB Gapps

Please read updated News section in OP. Links located in OP.
    When you compile?! The cm10 source are you going to release public? Or you wait jcsullins to released first?

I'll release when it's, IMO, daily-driver quality. That doesn't mean it will be completely bug free, but it must be useable for all basic tasks including browsing, email, music, video, and many of my "critical" apps.