Updating from MDL

Search This thread

cegna09

Jun 20, 2009
I tried to figure this out and I'm lost. I've not been keeping up with development on this phone for a while. I'm currently on stock rooted MDL, stock recovery. I'm looking to move to rooted current stock rom. How do I go about this. As simple as just putting a new recovery on and flashing the new one? Or do I need to be careful of anything?

Feels weird to be out of touch with how everything works now.

Reactions: jd1639

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I tried to figure this out and I'm lost. I've not been keeping up with development on this phone for a while. I'm currently on stock rooted MDL, stock recovery. I'm looking to move to rooted current stock rom. How do I go about this. As simple as just putting a new recovery on and flashing the new one? Or do I need to be careful of anything?

You need to put a custom recovery on. Then flash the ROM in the recovery. Since you're rooted you could use goo manager to put twrp on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Free mobile app

cegna09

Jun 20, 2009
You need to put a custom recovery on. Then flash the ROM in the recovery. Since you're rooted you could use goo manager to put twrp on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Free mobile app

If that's it awesome. Reading about the latest stock roms I was just confusing myself and thinking there was some new BS to deal with.

capti2

Jan 27, 2011
I am in the same boat. Have tried goomanager and rom manager but both failed to load recoveries. It seems they have moved on to 4.4.2 kitkat and no longer work with 4.2.2 MDL. Have also tried to find .tar files for older recoveries and flash with ODIN but no luck. Afraid to OTA update from AT&T and get MK2. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

G

GuestX0019

I am in the same boat. Have tried goomanager and rom manager but both failed to load recoveries. It seems they have moved on to 4.4.2 kitkat and no longer work with 4.2.2 MDL. Have also tried to find .tar files for older recoveries and flash with ODIN but no luck. Afraid to OTA update from AT&T and get MK2. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Not sure but can you unroot and reroot with Adam's Motochopper. It installs twrp. Maybe JD can confirm that.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

G

GuestX0019

Thank you for the advice . It worked like a charm.

Glad you got it--you can now flash custom recoveries from recovery. I like twrp 2.5.0.2

Don't try goomanager anymore--not needed

There are a couple files to delete so you don't get auto updated. Some have Update in name and one has FOTA. I don't have them in front of me atm

Get a nandroid asap and put copy on pc too

Plus backup efs

cegna09

Jun 20, 2009
Just one last check before I try and mess with things tonight. Since I'm on MDL still, to install a new current ROM (like this one http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2280556), all I need to do is:
- install a custom recovery (TWRP 2.5.0.2 looks like the most recent)
- backup
- full wipe
- flash new ROM

I shouldn't have to mess with any of the safestrap stuff correct?

Just trying to be cautious.

G

GuestX0019

Just one last check before I try and mess with things tonight. Since I'm on MDL still, to install a new current ROM (like this one http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2280556), all I need to do is:
- install a custom recovery (TWRP 2.5.0.2 looks like the most recent)
- backup
- full wipe
- flash new ROM

I shouldn't have to mess with any of the safestrap stuff correct?

Just trying to be cautious.

No SafeStrap. Backup should include System. Make sure to read OP and last few pages of thread for any new info. Make sure ROM doesn't need loki-doki. Most in att forum don't. What recovery are you on now?

cegna09

Jun 20, 2009
No SafeStrap. Backup should include System. Make sure to read OP and last few pages of thread for any new info. Make sure ROM doesn't need loki-doki. Most in att forum don't. What recovery are you on now?

Thank you.

I thought I was on stock recovery, but checking just now apparently I put OUDhs CWM Touch Recovery v1.0.3.4 on sometime in the past year. I'll either go to the latest version of CWM or TWRP before doing anything.

G

GuestX0019

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure but can you unroot and reroot with Adam's Motochopper. It installs twrp. Maybe JD can confirm that.

I can confirm from the short time i was on MDL that CASUAL does install TWRP.