[GUIDE] Install Full Android Market on Kindle Fire (Compilation Master Thread)

Search This thread

Bandage

Nov 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ok, there are several threads alluding to installing the Android Market on your Kindle Fire, and this Guide will bring them all together for the EASIEST and MOST Successful process. Credit given to authors or other guides.

Android Market on Kindle Fire

Itching for a broader expanse of app selection on your rooted Kindle Fire? It is possible to install the Android Market, furthering your journey on the path of turning the Fire into a full fledged Android Tablet. Follow the tutorial.

Warning: NOT for the faint of heart.
As with any modification to system files, there is a chance you could cause damage to your device. Use at your own risk.

Prerequisites

Root your Kindle Fire

Download the following apks
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
Vending.apk (Latest Version 3.3.11)
See HERE for .apk downloads (complete GApps zip file)

Root Explorer App (or similar that lets you change ro/rw permissions)

Side Loading Apps activated on Kindle Fire
On the Kindle Fire Settings screen, go to “Device” and turn On “Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources”

Instructions

1. Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)

2. Open Root Explorer App, and navigate to the transferred .apk files

3. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk and install

4. When complete, click "Done" and return to the file location for Vending.apk

5. Long-press Vending.apk and select the "Move" option on pop-up menu
Navigate to /system/app folder

6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)
Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder

7. Long-press Vending.apk and select "Permissions" from pop-up menu
Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)

8. Install Vending.apk

9. Reboot your Kindle Fire

Once reboot is complete, select Market App and log-in as usual.
Enjoy!

You will most likely notice some familiar apps missing from the market, as this device is lacking certain hardware specifications. However, once custom ROMs start appearing for the Kindle Fire, it is a safe bet it will no longer be the case.

Also, the Market App will not show up in the default Amazon Launcher.
You will need to install an alternate launcher (ie Go Launcher EX, ADW).
Find instructions HERE.
For another option than installing an alternate option, check out this work around also!

Credits
JolleyBoy
mashi
And myself of course.

**Keep in mind, I'm NOT trying to step on toes in posting this guide...just creating a place for users to go and not have to sift through endless posts.**

Last edited:

abremel

Dec 30, 2009
New market apk from tonight that includes google music store attached - can confirm it working following the same directions, at least for me.

Attachments

• Vending.apk
    3.1 MB · Views: 7,809

Printerscape

Apr 14, 2011
I don't think vending.apk is necessary. I didn't copy that over, and everything worked fine.

When I did copy it over, stuff started bugging out (instant video lagging (after unrooting), access to Amazon app store denied), so went back to deleting that file.

DssTrainer

Jun 5, 2008
Chicago
Are we not able to purchase apps through the google market once it installed?
I can download free stuff, but when I try to get a commercial app, it shows an error about not being able to purchase

abremel

Dec 30, 2009
I ran into this with movies in the market - but i can buy apps just fine - just tested.

Thelgow

Dec 1, 2010
I'm having the issue moving the vender.apk - root explorer won't let me mount as r/w. Anyone have a quickfix for this?

One question, have you followed the steps?

"Prerequisites

Root your Kindle Fire"

before using Root Explorer?

Because if you've rooted it, then in root explorer, at the top should be a Mount R/w button you just press.

nerdgirl

Apr 10, 2010
San Francisco
I AM rooted. I get the rw option and can actually change *some* directories to rw, but it won't allow me to change /system/apps. I have tried with terminal emulator as well, but get denied. WTF is going on?!?

I have superuser permissions set on root explorer and can write to most directories...

Help!

GTrowbridge

Nov 9, 2009
I AM rooted. I get the rw option and can actually change *some* directories to rw, but it won't allow me to change /system/apps. I have tried with terminal emulator as well, but get denied. WTF is going on?!?

Feeling the pain here as well... :(

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Aha... finally got it to work using the Jackpal terminal emulator and the instructions in this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19446504&postcount=66

george120879

Aug 5, 2010
Problems with kindle fire

Can you please help with kindle fire?
I did root it,then after that i did follow the step 1. Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)

and then really it doesnt make sense all is written after that???

Navigate to /system/app folder ( where is the move option on kindle fire? i triple check and doesnt exist)

8. Install Vending.apk

I am stuck with the instructions please help.
Plus when i install the market after the framework i cant sign in on the market,no conection it says

Rubarb

Nov 22, 2011
To the above and anyone else having problems changing permissions with Root Explorer (I did, the button change to R/W did nothing at times) then try Super Manager, did the trick for me. Strangely once SM has changed permissions once in a session you can generally go back with Root Explorer and change any R/O -R/W you like.

Also "Move" comes up after a press of the file you wish to move.

Finally, I have a problem - I have installed vending.apk, permissions all ok etc. I can load and search the marketplace but when I try and download a file it hangs o waiting for download. This has happened on multiple apps and I've tried a couple of different vending files and a couple of installs. Any suggestions?

My only thought now is that since this is my first Android I don't currently have a device associated with my account. Any other thoughts?

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
I know I was half asleep the second time I installed market (after a system reinitialize) and ran the market installer but forgot to move it to /system/app and then compounded the mistake by leading the name be vending-1 instead of just vending. Only once I caught both mistakes and corrected them did market work properly. But it half worked until I fixed my mistakes. Perhaps you didn't copy to system like me or got permissions wrong?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, there are several threads alluding to installing the Android Market on your Kindle Fire, and this Guide will bring them all together for the EASIEST and MOST Successful process. Credit given to authors or other guides.

Android Market on Kindle Fire

Itching for a broader expanse of app selection on your rooted Kindle Fire? It is possible to install the Android Market, furthering your journey on the path of turning the Fire into a full fledged Android Tablet. Follow the tutorial.

Warning: NOT for the faint of heart.
    As with any modification to system files, there is a chance you could cause damage to your device. Use at your own risk.

Prerequisites

Root your Kindle Fire

Download the following apks
    Vending.apk (Latest Version 3.3.11)
    See HERE for .apk downloads (complete GApps zip file)

Root Explorer App (or similar that lets you change ro/rw permissions)

Side Loading Apps activated on Kindle Fire
    On the Kindle Fire Settings screen, go to “Device” and turn On “Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources”

Instructions

1. Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)

Navigate to /system/app folder

8. Install Vending.apk

Once reboot is complete, select Market App and log-in as usual.
    Enjoy!

You will most likely notice some familiar apps missing from the market, as this device is lacking certain hardware specifications. However, once custom ROMs start appearing for the Kindle Fire, it is a safe bet it will no longer be the case.

Also, the Market App will not show up in the default Amazon Launcher.
    Find instructions HERE.
    For another option than installing an alternate option, check out this work around also!

Credits
    JolleyBoy
    mashi
    And myself of course.

**Keep in mind, I'm NOT trying to step on toes in posting this guide...just creating a place for users to go and not have to sift through endless posts.**
    Hey all, I threw together some aggregated instructions for my boss earlier today. Figured I'd share these with the community. It's nothing special, and it's oriented for Windows, the only real benefit is that it's all aggregated together from setting up the SDK/JDK to rooting and setting up the market. All my recommendations use free software.

Setting up the environment​
    Requirements:
    Java JDK (Choose your OS, probably Windows 32 bit/x86)
    Android SDK (Download the installer)

1.) Install Java JDK first, then install the Android SDK. The Android SDK should download some files. When installing change the installation directory to “C:\Android”. After a time it will launch the SDK Manager – Uncheck everything except Platform Tools and Google Drivers (toward the bottom). Install these things.

2.) Open the folder located at c:\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver, then open the android_winusb.inf file in notepad. We're going to add the following lines to the bottom of [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64]:
    Code:
    ;
    ;Kindle Fire
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006&MI_01

Once you've made the changes, save and close the file.

3.) Open a command prompt (Start → Run (or just type) → “cmd”) and go to c:\android\tools\ (type cd c:\android\tools\) and type the following command:
    Code:
    android update adb

4.) With the same command prompt still open type the following command:
    Code:
    echo 0x1949 >> “%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini”

5.) With the command prompt still open, go to c:\android\platform-tools (cd c:\android\platform-tools) and run one last command to make sure that you've got everything setup:
    Code:
    adb devices
    If you did not see anything, type the following two commands in sequence:
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    &
    Code:
    adb devices

If everything was setup correctly you should see something in the List of devices attached.

Rooting the Kindle​
    Requirements:
    SuperOneClick (scroll to the bottom of the first post, download the most recent version)

1.) Go to the location that you downloaded SuperOneClick and extract it. Once extracted go into the folder and run SuperOneClick.exe (if you receive any notices from your anti virus during this process you'll need to terminate your anti-virus program).

2.) Stay on the Universal tab; click “Root”. Be patient and let it work its magic.

3.) Once you see the message (Rush did it ! …) you'll know that it's going to work. When prompted to “Install Busybox?” select Yes. Then select Yes to “Run a test?”. You can choose to donate if you want to.

4.) You should have seen a brief message at the bottom of the screen that unknown has been granted superuser permissions. If you didn't you should restart your Kindle but you likely have root.

Adding Android Market
    Requirements:
    File Expert
    Go Launcher
    Vending.apk
    -Download both files from here (go to bottom of page, download most recent gapps file)

1.) Install Go Launcher by first copying the GO_Launcher_EX_VX.XX.apk to c:\android\platform-tools\. Now open a command prompt and go to c:\android\platform-tools. From there type:
    Code:
    adb install GO_Launcher_EX_VX.XX.apk

2.) Install File Expert by first copying the FileExpertSigned_X.X.X_GKWeb_EN.apk to c:\android\platform-tools\. Now open a command prompt and go to c:\android\platform-tools. From there type:
    Code:
    adb install FileExpertSigned_X.X.X_GKWeb_EN.apk

3.) Extract the contents of the gapps-gb-yyyymmdd.zip file you downloaded. Once extracted locate the two files, Vending.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk, in /system/app/, then copy these files to c:\android\platform-tools.

4.) On your device (either click disconnect or unplug it temporarily) go to Apps and run the File Expert application we installed earlier. Click the Menu button at the bottom of the screen → More → Settings → File Explorer Settings and check “Root Explorer”, clicking “Allow” to the access dialogue. After this, back out to the Home screen of File Expert. From here click My Files → Phone Internal Storage → sdcard, then tap Menu → More → Mount → Mount as Read Write. Now do this for one more location, so tap the back arrow, then go to system → app and tap menu → More → Mount → Mount as Read Write.

5.) Now you're ready to send the files these to your device. You do this by opening a command prompt and navigating to c:\android\platform-tools again. From here type:
    Code:
    adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /sdcard/
    &
    Code:
    adb push Vending.apk /system/app

6.) We need to change the permissions for Vending.apk – To do this just type:
    Code:
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Vending.apk

7.) On your device, open File Expert (if you closed it) and go to My Files → Phone Internal Storage → sdcard and tap GoogleServicesFramework.apk (if you don't see it, back up a directory and come back). Tap Install. Once it finishes, click “Done”. Now tap back, then system → app. From here tap Vending.apk and Install it. Choose OK to Replace Application. Once finished click “Done”.

8.) Reboot your Kindle Fire.

9.) Go to Apps and launch Go Launcher. From inside of Go Launcher you'll be able to visit and use the Android Market. Now when you press the Home Key you'll be prompted to choose either the Amazon launcher or the Go Launcher. They both have their uses. :)

My recommendations for customizing Go Launcher:

Screen Grid Size: 6 x 6
    Dock Grid Size: 5 x 5 (max by application)
    New market apk from tonight that includes google music store attached - can confirm it working following the same directions, at least for me.
    1 problem:
    i cant download anything from the amazon app store, but i need root explorer to install google market, right?

what to do? :rolleyes:

Go here and download the fileexpert apk first (way at the bottom):
    http://droidsurf.blogspot.com/2011/11/file-expert-v403-403-android-apk-app.html

Then put the apk in the same folder as adb and type:

adb install fileexpert403.apk

Of course that's after you root and make sure you're connected ("adb devices"). After that just use fileexpert to do all the apk installing and the market sideloading.
    Just noticed market is not showing in my app's anyone else have this ?
    Use:
    ...the Market App will not show up in the default Amazon Launcher.
    Find instructions HERE.
    or
    I wanted to be able to use the market via the Kindle UI, so I threw together an app that has a market icon and just launches the market. Since some others were wanting to do the same I figured I'd share:

http://munday.ws/kindlefire/MarketOpener.apk
    or another launcher of your choice.