[Firmware][Unofficial][ODIN]S4 DevEd[boot/recovery/radio/modem][MDK-MJ7-MK2-NC5]

Search This thread

Skeetch79

Oct 29, 2010
West Milford, NJ
Google Pixel 5

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Moved this thread to Android Development. Here's why:
Original development constitutes original works. Dumps into a tarball for Odin is repacking Samsung's efforts.
Thank you and sorry for the thread interruption.

00negative

Aug 9, 2010
Any body know of a developer that would like to dev for the S4 but needs a device? The device has the Knox counter tripped, Android 4.3. Haven't checked for root but it does show a custom binary and system status currently so who knows.

00negative

Aug 9, 2010
Dumping the phone? Throwing in the towel?

Yep after 6 weeks of bs and no resolution I can't take it anymore. And I am tired of having to call through and get escalated multiple times to get to someone that still can't or won't do anything about the issue.

Might even change carriers so I can get a nexus device and not have to deal with waiting on carriers or manufacturers to provide updates and the locked bootloaders

Reactions: Skeetch79

gavron

Jan 9, 2005
That really stinks. So you have been in touch with someone verbally or via email??

KitKat for Dev S4 would probably be I545OYUFNC5 if it existed - and would have KNOX and bloat in all its glory! :)

I have two VZW DEV phones fresh from Samsung hell that now have I545OYUFNC5 on them.
I can flash TWRP jfltexx on it but it won't run jfltevzw. I can flash clockwork as well but it won't run philz.
I can not get it to run CM11 or CM10 (which worked fine on the VRUAMDK phone).

I have attempted to heimdall flash the files from VRUAMDK and of course ABOOT is not agreeing to be updated.

I have googled everything from "kernel is not seandroid enforcing" and "knox" and "I5450YUFNC5" and many
other posts and have read every thread on xda that seemed relevant...

QUESTION 1: Can I get CyanogenMod (or any AOSP ROM) to run on this device and if so how? Explicit answers
or pointers appreciated.

QUESTION 2: It takes TWRP a while to start up because I have to wait for that stupid "kernel is not seandroid enforcing"
message to time out on every recovery boot. Is there a way to improve that situation?

QUESTION 3: If a phone will not allow installation of any normally available kernel and system (e.g. CM11) is it truly
a "developer" phone?

That last one I'm asking because I intend to take Samsung to court over this if there is truly no workaround.
(That's why I paid $700... instead of $0+2yr).

Thank you in advance for pointers... I've spent days on this and am running out of hair to pull.

E

Skeetch79

Oct 29, 2010
West Milford, NJ
Google Pixel 5
I have two VZW DEV phones fresh from Samsung hell that now have I545OYUFNC5 on them.
I can flash TWRP jfltexx on it but it won't run jfltevzw. I can flash clockwork as well but it won't run philz.
I can not get it to run CM11 or CM10 (which worked fine on the VRUAMDK phone).

I have attempted to heimdall flash the files from VRUAMDK and of course ABOOT is not agreeing to be updated.

I have googled everything from "kernel is not seandroid enforcing" and "knox" and "I5450YUFNC5" and many
other posts and have read every thread on xda that seemed relevant...

QUESTION 1: Can I get CyanogenMod (or any AOSP ROM) to run on this device and if so how? Explicit answers
or pointers appreciated.

QUESTION 2: It takes TWRP a while to start up because I have to wait for that stupid "kernel is not seandroid enforcing"
message to time out on every recovery boot. Is there a way to improve that situation?

QUESTION 3: If a phone will not allow installation of any normally available kernel and system (e.g. CM11) is it truly
a "developer" phone?

That last one I'm asking because I intend to take Samsung to court over this if there is truly no workaround.
(That's why I paid $700... instead of $0+2yr).

Thank you in advance for pointers... I've spent days on this and am running out of hair to pull.

E

Good to see that they are "officially" loading I545OYUFNC5 on the phones.

I installed Philz with no problem on my phone via ODIN 3.09 (Odin 3.09 - unzip this file). Make sure Samsung USB drivers are installed on the PC. Reboot your phone to download mode - Power off phone, Hold Power button and Volume down, on warning screen press volume up to enter Download mode). Open the ODIN 3.09 executable, make sure only F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot are checked, NOTHING ELSE. Load tar.md5 for Philz in to the AP slot - this is equivalent to the PDA slot in ODIN 3.07). I used this version: Philz Touch Recovery - the latest version seems to be 6.46.3.Connect phone via USB, make sure it shows up on a COM port. If all these prerequisites are met, then click start to flash the recovery. Once the phone reboots and loads normally, grab the latest Superuser - I prefer Chainfire's SuperSu (Supersu). Transfer the Superuser zip file to your phone. Reboot to recovery. Choose Install Zip. Select the Superuser Zip file. Flash it. This roots your phone and you should be good to go.

Now why would you flash files from VRUAMDK onto the phone. VRU is for the retail variant. If the VRU ABOOT happened to flash then you would have locked your bootloader and ended up with a "retail" device and at the mercy of Samsung to help you out by flashing the original Developer Edition Software back to it. Their call, their choice. For the DevS4, please stick only to phone firmware which contains "OYU", not "VRU" (i.e. I545OYUAMDK vs I545VRUAMDK). You can find OYUAMDK files here on XDA.

Answer 1 to Question 1: At this point I believe you can only run Touchwiz based roms efficiently. Try CM, see if it works. Just PLEASE make a nandroid backup from your custom recovery of your original firmware before you make any changes. That way, in case CM does not work or AOSP does not work, you can roll back to your original firmware. You after rooting you can also dd all the partitions and then keep them in a safe place.

Answer 2 to Question 2: I am not familiar with this situation. As I said, I use Philz and I have never had a problem.

Answer 3 to Question 3: This is a Developer phone. It will allow installation of Kernels and Systems as long as you do it the right way. There are Kernel apps in the play store along with Custom Recovery flashable zip files for both Kernels and Systems.

Good luck taking Samsung to court. This is a developer phone. They sell this phone with the hopes that those who purchase it are already familiar or will eventually become familiar with the device and how to change the software on it. There are tons of threads on XDA which can help you. Read, read and read again. Make sure you understand before you go about making changes or flashing software - especially software not intended for the Developer Device (i.e. firmware containing the three letters VRU versus firmware containing the three letters OYU). Ask questions - we are here to help. I am more than willing to help, but please do the research before hand. I was a n00b once and even at this point I am not a master of this stuff, I learned by asking questions and also by trial and error.

Good luck.

Last edited:

gavron

Jan 9, 2005
EDIT: Update: Your version of Philz works fine! Thank you! And also, I have a clockworkmod nandroid backup that doesn't work (com.google.gapps constantly dies on the restored version), a TWRP backup that works great to get back to virgin Samsung OS, and am now doing a Philz backup as well.

Thanks for lots of good info. I will try your version of Philz and see if that runs or gives me the no run error.
(Note: I use linux but am confident that heimdall flash is equivalent to Odin. It worked for TWRP and CWR...)

- Why did I try VRUAMDK? Originally when I got the first one of these (DEV) it was running VRUAMDK.
At the time I could flash whatever I wanted. TWRP + CM11 ran fine. Then I put the wet-apply screen protector
on it and the digitizer&screen died. While repairing that, Samsung "did me a favor" and flashed it locked.
After six months of back and forth I now have two of the I545OYUFNC5s and they allow me to flash SOME
things with no issues.

- I cannot get CM11 or CM10 or Team Gummy ROMS to work now. THEY DID WORK ON THIS PHONE
BACK before I gave it to Samsung. I'm assuming the new Aboot is preventing them from running.

- I *can* get a touchwiz-based Jely-Bean to run (jfltevzw_JellyBeans_B7) if I select its installer's safestrap
option. This also provides the seandroid enforcing message and 30+ seconds later times out and boots
the rom.

- What is the ultimate goal of my use of this dev phone? I would like to run custom builds based on CM10&CM11
to test various things. I currently have a DEV VZW MotoX, a DEV TMO MotoX, and these two DEV VZW S4s.
SO I get when you're saying "we were all n00bs but please do research ..." and "...you can install kernels and
systems..." My requirements are not that complex, but I'm unable to get CyanogenMod to run. THAT right now
is the biggest hurdle.

Thanks for taking the time to detail your answer! I hope I've clarified further.

E

Good to see that they are "officially" loading I545OYUFNC5 on the phones.

I installed Philz with no problem on my phone via ODIN 3.09 (Odin 3.09 - unzip this file). Make sure Samsung USB drivers are installed on the PC. Reboot your phone to download mode - Power off phone, Hold Power button and Volume down, on warning screen press volume up to enter Download mode). Open the ODIN 3.09 executable, make sure only F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot are checked, NOTHING ELSE. Load tar.md5 for Philz in to the AP slot - this is equivalent to the PDA slot in ODIN 3.07). I used this version: Philz Touch Recovery - the latest version seems to be 6.46.3.Connect phone via USB, make sure it shows up on a COM port. If all these prerequisites are met, then click start to flash the recovery. Once the phone reboots and loads normally, grab the latest Superuser - I prefer Chainfire's SuperSu (Supersu). Transfer the Superuser zip file to your phone. Reboot to recovery. Choose Install Zip. Select the Superuser Zip file. Flash it. This roots your phone and you should be good to go.

Now why would you flash files from VRUAMDK onto the phone. VRU is for the retail variant. If the VRU ABOOT happened to flash then you would have locked your bootloader and ended up with a "retail" device and at the mercy of Samsung to help you out by flashing the original Developer Edition Software back to it. Their call, their choice. For the DevS4, please stick only to phone firmware which contains "OYU", not "VRU" (i.e. I545OYUAMDK vs I545VRUAMDK). You can find OYUAMDK files here on XDA.

Answer 1 to Question 1: At this point I believe you can only run Touchwiz based roms efficiently. Try CM, see if it works. Just PLEASE make a nandroid backup from your custom recovery of your original firmware before you make any changes. That way, in case CM does not work or AOSP does not work, you can roll back to your original firmware. You after rooting you can also dd all the partitions and then keep them in a safe place.

Answer 2 to Question 2: I am not familiar with this situation. As I said, I use Philz and I have never had a problem.

Answer 3 to Question 3: This is a Developer phone. It will allow installation of Kernels and Systems as long as you do it the right way. There are Kernel apps in the play store along with Custom Recovery flashable zip files for both Kernels and Systems.

Good luck taking Samsung to court. This is a developer phone. They sell this phone with the hopes that those who purchase it are already familiar or will eventually become familiar with the device and how to change the software on it. There are tons of threads on XDA which can help you. Read, read and read again. Make sure you understand before you go about making changes or flashing software - especially software not intended for the Developer Device (i.e. firmware containing the three letters VRU versus firmware containing the three letters OYU). Ask questions - we are here to help. I am more than willing to help, but please do the research before hand. I was a n00b once and even at this point I am not a master of this stuff, I learned by asking questions and also by trial and error.

Good luck.

Last edited:

00negative

Aug 9, 2010
- Why did I try VRUAMDK? Originally when I got the first one of these (DEV) it was running VRUAMDK.
At the time I could flash whatever I wanted. TWRP + CM11 ran fine. Then I put the wet-apply screen protector
on it and the digitizer&screen died. While repairing that, Samsung "did me a favor" and flashed it locked.
After six months of back and forth I now have two of the I545OYUFNC5s and they allow me to flash SOME
things with no issues.

E

Glad to see I am not the only one that has had issues with Samsung service.

gavron

Jan 9, 2005
EDIT: Update: Your version of Philz works fine! Thank you! And also, I have a clockworkmod nandroid backup that doesn't work (com.google.gapps constantly dies on the restored version), a TWRP backup that works great to get back to virgin Samsung OS, and am now doing a Philz backup as well.

Further update in case this helps anyone else or triggers a thought.

When using Philz to flash CM11, Philz reports

E: Error loki-ifying the boot image.

I have manually pulled aboot.img, boot.img, and ran loki_tool to find out that:
Code:
/data/local/tmp # loki_tool patch boot aboot.img boot.img out.lok
Loki tool v2.1
[-] Failed to find function to patch.

From examining the source code it appears the code in loki_patch.c looks for
a set of patterns ("fingerprints") of the target code. The new VZW DEV ROM Aboot
does not appear to have any of those.

Is this the right conclusion? Do I need to wait for someone to release a new loki_patch
that can handle this new aboot... or is there a different method?

Thank you all,

Ehud

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Further update in case this helps anyone else or triggers a thought.

When using Philz to flash CM11, Philz reports

E: Error loki-ifying the boot image.

I have manually pulled aboot.img, boot.img, and ran loki_tool to find out that:
Code:
/data/local/tmp # loki_tool patch boot aboot.img boot.img out.lok
Loki tool v2.1
[-] Failed to find function to patch.

From examining the source code it appears the code in loki_patch.c looks for
a set of patterns ("fingerprints") of the target code. The new VZW DEV ROM Aboot
does not appear to have any of those.

Is this the right conclusion? Do I need to wait for someone to release a new loki_patch
that can handle this new aboot... or is there a different method?

Thank you all,

Ehud

If you have a Developer Edition phone, the bootloader is unlocked. You don't need to use Loki to bypass it.

Skeetch79

Oct 29, 2010
West Milford, NJ
Google Pixel 5

Thanks for lots of good info. I will try your version of Philz and see if that runs or gives me the no run error.
(Note: I use linux but am confident that heimdall flash is equivalent to Odin. It worked for TWRP and CWR...)

things with no issues.

- I cannot get CM11 or CM10 or Team Gummy ROMS to work now. THEY DID WORK ON THIS PHONE
BACK before I gave it to Samsung. I'm assuming the new Aboot is preventing them from running.

- I *can* get a touchwiz-based Jely-Bean to run (jfltevzw_JellyBeans_B7) if I select its installer's safestrap
option. This also provides the seandroid enforcing message and 30+ seconds later times out and boots
the rom.

- What is the ultimate goal of my use of this dev phone? I would like to run custom builds based on CM10&CM11
to test various things. I currently have a DEV VZW MotoX, a DEV TMO MotoX, and these two DEV VZW S4s.
SO I get when you're saying "we were all n00bs but please do research ..." and "...you can install kernels and
systems..." My requirements are not that complex, but I'm unable to get CyanogenMod to run. THAT right now
is the biggest hurdle.

Thanks for taking the time to detail your answer! I hope I've clarified further.

E

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply, busy weekend with the 3 kids, 2 dogs, wife and other family. Glad to hear Philz worked for you. It has basically been my go to recovery. After the upgrade from MDK I have not had any success with TWRP, the Loki exploit was patched after MDK which is also why the amount of ROMs which you can run have dwindled (hence why you are having issues with CM Roms) - with MDK you could basically run anything! Oddly enough, SafeStrap ran fine while I was on MJ7/MK2 and that utilized TWRP as it's recovery - had no issues with TWRP in this fashion, just as a standalone recovery.

I find it hard to believe that the original Firmware on your Dev phone was I545VRUAMDK, when Developer phones would have run I545OYUAMDK, unless Samsung forgot to change the baseband/Build information. Interesting nonetheless.

My experience with Samsung has been less than par as well. I started out with an OYUMDK and after paying close to $700 in September of last year for the phone and then finding out we would never have software updates, etc, I sent an email to someone at Samsung. That started a ball rolling where I was able to have the device upgraded to MJ7 then MK2 and then finally NC5. It shouldn't have to be that way. (Some argue is not the point of having a Developer phone - and I agree, but software upgrades are nice. The Moto Developer Ed phones get upgrades, as well as the HTC Developers). After my time with this device - which I cannot complain about the Camera, though TouchWiz sucks - I will definitely look to get back in the Moto world with one of their Developer Edition phones. I took a chance with Samsung after having a Droid X, Droid Bionic and Droid Razr and stepped outside of my comfort zone :). I should've stayed within the Moto walls!

But I hope I can help moving forward if you have any other questions or issues.

00negative

Aug 9, 2010
I got rid of the custom system status on mine but can't get rid of the custom binary designation?? And triangle away doesn't seem to reset the flash counter. Chainfire's G+ says that had been an issue on 4.3 devices that show a custom system status or binary.

Odin won't let me flash stock radio files says Auth (fail). Any one have any ideas?

Dev edition with MJ7 currently

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
This whole topic is very confusing. If the dev. edition phone comes with mdk2 can it be downgraded to mek or mdk and does this have to be done with`these developer edition files in the op? thanks in advance.

00negative

Aug 9, 2010
This whole topic is very confusing. If the dev. edition phone comes with mdk2 can it be downgraded to mek or mdk and does this have to be done with`these developer edition files in the op? thanks in advance.

Assume you mean emk2, but the answer I think is no unless you had the mdk bootloader partition still because of Knox I think but been awhile since I have thought about this mess.

Skeetch79

Oct 29, 2010
West Milford, NJ
Google Pixel 5
Anyone tested the NC5 ROM on their Dev Ed?

I have the official NC5 Rom on my Dev Ed and it seems to run very well. Knox is easy to disable. Root is easy to achieve. Enabling writing to the External SDCard is easy (even though it is a PIA that they disabled it in KitKat). I have an "upgrade" package here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-verizon/development/firmware-i545oyufnc5-emergency-restore-t2820232

Backup your ABOOT partition. I have used the emergency restore which I created on my NC5 to return to rooted NC5 numerous times without issue.

I have the official NC5 Rom on my Dev Ed and it seems to run very well. Knox is easy to disable. Root is easy to achieve. Enabling writing to the External SDCard is easy (even though it is a PIA that they disabled it in KitKat). I have an "upgrade" package here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-verizon/development/firmware-i545oyufnc5-emergency-restore-t2820232

Backup your ABOOT partition. I have used the emergency restore which I created on my NC5 to return to rooted NC5 numerous times without issue.

Hey Skeetch, Are you still around bud? I've got a mucked up Dev Ed SCH-I545 that maybe you can shed a little light on. I purchased it with MDK on it (it worked fine of course) When I received it I was happy to find your thread with these NC5 files and stupidly dove right into Odin. All went well until reboot... BLACK SCREEN :( Nothing more :(:( The device is now only recognized by my PC as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008. Been there, Done that with the Moto's. I read here that you are/were deep into Moto as well. I've been developing Moto since the OG Droid :) needless to say I'm not new to this game lol. Anyhow, it was then, (I know I know... stupid right?) that I decided to dig deeper into what I had just done to my device. Your tarball includes the .tz partition which I believe is what caused my brick due to still being on MDK aboot. You had mentioned Samsung actually updated your device which proves my theory as to why the file works fine on your device. I assume you have their official Dev Ed NC5 aboot image on yours? Again I am basing my theory on my Motorola knowledge. If I could only turn back the hands of time I would have removed that .tz from the tarball. But what's done is done. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I do have access to a RIFF box and may actually end up purchasing it if necessary.

Skeetch79

Oct 29, 2010
West Milford, NJ
Google Pixel 5
Hey Skeetch, Are you still around bud? I've got a mucked up Dev Ed SCH-I545 that maybe you can shed a little light on. I purchased it with MDK on it (it worked fine of course) When I received it I was happy to find your thread with these NC5 files and stupidly dove right into Odin. All went well until reboot... BLACK SCREEN :( Nothing more :(:( The device is now only recognized by my PC as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008. Been there, Done that with the Moto's. I read here that you are/were deep into Moto as well. I've been developing Moto since the OG Droid :) needless to say I'm not new to this game lol. Anyhow, it was then, (I know I know... stupid right?) that I decided to dig deeper into what I had just done to my device. Your tarball includes the .tz partition which I believe is what caused my brick due to still being on MDK aboot. You had mentioned Samsung actually updated your device which proves my theory as to why the file works fine on your device. I assume you have their official Dev Ed NC5 aboot image on yours? Again I am basing my theory on my Motorola knowledge. If I could only turn back the hands of time I would have removed that .tz from the tarball. But what's done is done. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I do have access to a RIFF box and may actually end up purchasing it if necessary.

Sorry it took me this long to reply, I have been traveling with family. I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Where I can suggest to start at this point is Surge's thread with the MDK emergency recovery ODIN tar. That may bring your device back. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2483619.

Hard lesson to learn, but before flashing any firmware to your Dev Ed device, I would have rooted it and then dd'd (pulled) all partitions. That way an original backup would exist in case things went awry. You would then be able to build you own ODIN tar and bring your device back.

EDIT: I have some of the files which Surge included in his original MDK Odin. If you need some of them or all of them please let me know and I can find a way to get it/them to you.

EDIT 2: look here for an example on how to create your own ODIN tars....: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2637686

Here is a .bat file I created to pull the partitions from an NC5 Dev Ed device. All files are saved to the extSdCard which can be pulled later.

@echo off

adb shell "su -c mkdir /mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/aboot.mbn'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/apnhlos of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/NON-HLOS.bin'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/backup of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/backup.img'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/boot.img'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/cache of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/cache.img.ext4'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/carrier of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/carrier.img.ext4'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/efs of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/efs.img.ext4'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/fota.img'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fsg of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/fsg.img'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/hidden of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/hidden.img.ext4'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/m9kefs1 of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/m9kefs1.bin'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/m9kefs2 of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/m9kefs2.bin'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/m9kefs3 of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/m9kefs3.bin'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/mdm of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/modem.bin'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst1 of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/modemst1.bin'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst2 of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/modemst2.bin'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pad of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/pad.img'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/param of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/param.lfs'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/persdata of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/persdata.img.ext4'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/persist of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/persist.img'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/recovery.img'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/rpm of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/rpm.mbn'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/sbl1 of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/sbl1.mbn'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/sbl2 of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/sbl2.mbn'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/sbl3 of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/sbl3.mbn'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/ssd of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/ssd.img'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/system.img.ext4'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/tz of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/tz.mbn'"
adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata of=/mnt/extSdCard/NC5dump/userdata.img.ext4'"

To find partition names and locations enter this command either into your terminal app on the phone (need to be rooted of course) or through an ADB shell command prompt on the PC (again, need to be rooted): ls -l /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/

Last edited:
No problem on the delay, it is the holidays. Thank you very much for the reply and the info. I don't think my device will come back by any other means than JTAG. I can't use ODIN because it won't even boot into download mode. I do believe though, that if I can JTAG the correct files to the tz partition, the chain of trust will be restored and device will boot at least the bootloader. From there I can ODIN usable firmware. I have acquired the tz.mbn file from a consumer device on MDK but if you have it available from the Dev Ed MDK I would feel more confident in the restoration of my device.

Edit: The MDK PIT file could also be beneficial to my quest. Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For Samsung Galaxy S4 Developer Edition Devices Only!

I have extracted the Boot.img, Recovery.img, NON-HLOS.bin (Radio) and Modem.bin files from the Samsung Galaxy S4 Developer Edition on builds I545OYUAMDK (original Factory Firmware), I545OYUEMJ7 and I545OYUEMK2. With those files, I have created various tar.md5 restore files which include the Boot, Recovery, Radio and Modem partitions. The tar.md5 files were created using 64-bit Cygwin in Windows 8 by running the following commands (for example):

filename=I545OYUAMDK
    tar -H ustar -c boot.img recovery.img > $filename.tar
    md5sum -t $filename.tar >> $filename.tar
    mv $filename.tar $filename.tar.md5

I have also extracted the MD5 sums and SHA-1 values from each tar.md5 file below and have posted them for reference. Please use at your own risk. I am not responsible for damaged devices.

Again, for S4 Developer Edition Devices Only!!!

Odin 3.07 - Odin 3.07
    Odin 3.09 - Odin 3.09

I545OYUAMDK
    Boot and Recovery: I545OYUAMDK_Boot_Recovery_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: 6b41bc15f669ef1c962626c011735790
    SHA-1: 1cc5d06781ecb6fa4dea28b107cad8b6237902ce

Modem and Radio: I545OYUAMDK_Modem_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: b063d6a1496cf2076199782542ec9f08
    SHA-1: b67a531b252d94a01b559b260a744d81610d9792

Modem: I545OYUAMDK_Modem_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: ee08455730004f0c4321bf98ca2a26d8
    SHA-1: bce6dda7f5b6aab3abd965f734e4b772ec8a035e

Radio: I545OYUAMDK_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 487aab147698d96eb254336e4192fc1e
    SHA-1: 25273c28a5ea411cfdc113e8fceb30c5a7ff9097

I545OYUEMJ7
    Boot and Recovery: I545OYUEMJ7_Boot_Recovery_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: a8c2954756ef9b82102d4c9cc999f810
    SHA-1: f9fc296bff37682718b07a1de47f8250b1aaf52d

Modem and Radio: I545OYUEMJ7_Modem_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: acf4d72e743469932a2aa9f54f4cafeb
    SHA-1: 69271c6e610835dbfd320e4bafb5a759814e7e74

Modem: I545OYUEMJ7_Modem_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 9396924db03efd8fb1856813cf2419b6
    SHA-1: f5210eee25281b68fb450893c02357e7a26d10ed

Radio: I545OYUEMJ7_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 3989422900fb177d4d36efa35e1869ae
    SHA-1: 519111d252122776a6d2a7f33c888544da2f5a36

I545OYUEMK2
    Boot and Recovery: I545OYUEMK2_Boot_Recovery_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: b5017c04df3b73a363e012feef73c343
    SHA-1: 13372816d6e774d84272f53b5285ed6a62c30a97

Modem and Radio: I545OYUEMK2_Modem_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 63eec954e5d4290b8d7dfb96fcdae580
    SHA-1: 2f3b4f6587ca3e233e0091db5742c9171053ca40

Modem: I545OYUEMK2_Modem_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 7791393740b06a304b015ee1f28a0fa8
    SHA-1: 9d5eb0b7f90ae8d4ee04486533eac30a30dbd279

Radio: I545OYUEMK2_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 9252cbac68d52a62a8811e7cd4542940
    SHA-1: cb20f968c0e1fff74d68613c56230da1b127cdef

I have flashed these files using Odin 3.07 and Odin 3.09. Load tar.md5's into "PDA" slot in Odin 3.07 or "AP" slot in Odin 3.09. For both Odin 3.07 and Odin 3.09, "F. Reset Time" and "Auto-Reboot" options are ok to be checked, but make sure "Re-partition" is NOT CHECKED.

If you have any questions or any requests for other partitions please do not hesitate to ask. This is the first thread I have ever created, please go easy on me! :)
    Holy moly. This is wonderful news! Am on vacation and will try when I get home next week. Thank you so much.
    If you can flesh out each step more clearly it is most appreciated. Do we keep 2 versions of Odin opened at same time or do one at a time?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

I would be glad to help out as best I can.

You only need one version of Odin installed and running at a time, I know there are two versions available, which is the reason I linked to both. User's choice. Surge or Bait-Fish may have more insight whether one is better than the other. Personally, I have always used 3.07.

1. Download and install USB drivers for phone from Samsung's Website (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I545ZKDVZW? - scroll down for "downloads" option)

2. Download the desired tar.md5 file as linked above. Check the md5 or SHA-1. (I have stumbled across an interesting program that integrates in to Windows and gives the option of md5, SHA-1, etc checking - HashCheck Shell Extension - http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/ - right click the tar.md5 file and choose properties. You will see the option for Checksums)

3. Put phone in download mode. (Power off phone. Hold Volume down and Power button. Press Volume up at the warning screen.)

4. Connect to Computer via USB. Let windows install necessary drivers.

5. Load Odin.

6. Odin should list the phone on a ID:COM port (upper left of the program - i.e. ID:COM 6)

7. Load tar.md5 file into Odin - 3.07 use PDA button. 3.09 use AP button.

8. Make sure only Auto-reboot and F. Reset Time are checked. Re-Partition should not be checked, if it is, UN-CHECK it!

9. As long as tar.md5 is loaded properly, the phone is in download mode, Odin sees the phone on a COM port and only F. Reset Time and Auto-Reboot are checked, press the "start" button.

10. The phone should reboot and eventually you will see a green "PASS!" above the COM port area.

11. You should be now good to go.

12. Reboot to recovery or check baseband to ensure things worked.

I have hosted these files also as a way to get out of binds (i.e. you flash an inappropriate Philz Touch recovery or TWRP recovery, you can revert to stock recovery and boot or you wish to change or revert basebands). You can obviously also use these files at your own leisure to change basebands, recoveries or boots.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the rest of vacation.

As I said, I have other partitions available if need be.
    Individual Boot and Recovery images

Individual Boot and Recovery Odin tar.md5's

I545OYUAMDK
    Boot: I545OYUAMDK_Boot_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: afba73816e13008afecf2499b3a5c3a3
    SHA-1: a2ba6c75436b022fa40061aecea9716a795d527d

Recovery: I545OYUAMDK_Recovery_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: 87ea570503f3114f45b89dc9991e0e2d
    SHA-1: eb7f3a50bf7af6935eacd6e29a791d9d1e4e359e

I545OYUEMJ7
    Boot: I545OYUEMJ7_Boot_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: cb183c42be45915f7ebb26a9342d72a8
    SHA-1: f537fa025a7f139c2538629cb8cb90334a7205f4

Recovery: I545OYUEMJ7_Recovery_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: 2c3c1fdb9b4ca20f9985c20cd77faf54
    SHA-1: 108f6e5b169bef047c9f2ce8551f91a1265c3236

I545OYUEMK2
    Boot: I545OYUEMK2_Boot_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: beea9797febf1471ae75240a67379d3a
    SHA-1: d40ca498559c38adec9a135fa81728ffcf1c7ea3

Recovery: I545OYUEMK2_Recovery_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5 sum: 9faa83bed96ea652584bc56c54bd986b
    SHA-1: 4b573f989b6b1b7a4fcfe96608f091ca47deeb1e
    I545OYUFNC5 Boot, Recovery, Radio and Modem images [UPDATED: 7/15/2014]

Below you will find the Modem, Radio and and Boot images from the recent Verizon 4.4.2 I545OYUFNC5 KitKat build (Developer Device version) and Recovery image from the recent Verizon 4.4.2 I545VRUFNC5 build (Retail version). Since there isn't a root method yet for Verizon 4.4.2 KitKat on the Galaxy S4, in order to achieve root, the stock recovery partition had to be overwritten with Philz Touch Recovery and Chainfire's SuperSu was then flashed. Because of this there isn't a back up of the 4.4.2 Developer Recovery image. The Recovery Image that is included is the stock recovery from the Retail Galaxy S4 on 4.4.2 KitKat, this functions perfectly fine on the Developer Device.

The Build for the Galaxy S4 Developer Edition device on 4.4.2 KitKat is KOT49H.I545OYUFNC5 and the Baseband is I545OYUFNC5. If you decide to flash the stock Recovery, it will say I545VRUFNC5 in the upper corner of the recovery screen. If you want a custom recovery, however, you can flash the latest Philz Touch Recovery for jflte devices (found here). At the time of this write-up 6.50.6 is the latest version.

I have not tested any of these files on the Developer S4 running builds earlier than 4.4.2 KitKat - i.e. I545OYUAMDK (4.2.2), I545OYUEMJ7 (4.3) and I545OYUEMK2 (4.3). I do not think the Radio and Modem would have any issue on a non-KitKat build, but I would recommend holding off on the Boot file unless you have a 4.4.2 KitKat build on your device. Both Modem (modem.bin) and Radio (NON-HLOS.bin) were edited to remove the padded zero's at the end of the file which allows ODIN flashing (allows the pass on the signature test)(thanks @Surge1223 for your HexEdit guide). If you have any issues with the Modem and Radio, you can always flash back to a version which is stable for your device using the above posted files.

Below you will find the Boot, Recovery, Modem and Radio images as individual tar.md5's and also bundled as Modem/Radio, Boot/Recovery and Boot/Recovery/Modem/Radio.

I545OYUFNC5

Boot (OYU): I545OYUFNC5_Boot_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 4653908b820535c4a953432a46558378
    SHA-1: 6f67c3ad8e2ec38b3189b300e478d5e912055445

Recovery (VRU): I545OYUFNC5_Recovery_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 7fb655f8b05b0e72edb5258705de992a
    SHA-1: d07f72bd8f8279c5dff23c02589f76308a5b8ee5

Modem (OYU): I545OYUFNC5_Modem_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: bc61795e901c424f4735d63b88571c4c
    SHA-1: 8e53ec92b82a64868a28dffbe7513fa662d45c48

Radio (OYU): I545OYUFNC5_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: b6dbfa97425ac88c710cb05743a99932
    SHA-1: 733118569ec934d87b9e22fe903d17d3ea427601

Boot (OYU) and Recovery (VRU): I545OYUFNC5_Boot_Recovery_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 3066f7578bf7d5a1aa982a8ab5b1bcf8
    SHA-1: 606b3252ee826dc87577ed4397c24db34845ffca

Modem (OYU) and Radio (OYU): I545OYUFNC5_Modem_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 3ae8fc408c542d4d99f0b2cf199e0776
    SHA-1: e3dfb6634a802d19dcfe92abeaa028788a28ac8e

Boot (OYU), Recovery (VRU), Modem (OYU) and Radio (OYU): I545OYUFNC5_Boot_Recovery_Modem_Radio_Restore.tar.md5
    MD5: 7c55aae7fdf93a6cacb076eaece03b77
    SHA-1: 9960f092ee7fcd0321d99929f309b87caee8b7a6
    So, if I have a Developer Edition and wanted to backup my aboot partition, would I do that with a terminal command like this?
    Code:
    busybox dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=$/storage/sdcard0/backup/aboot.mbn
    (taking that code from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417603 )
    You know, just in case...

From a pc with your phone connected, adb set up and root permissions already granted you can run: adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/storage/extSdCard/aboot.mbn'"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk