Are new droids 4.2 or 4.4?

Search This thread

ArdW

Jan 8, 2014
I would like to ask, if anybody know, if I buy a Droid Mini now, if the phone is 4.2 or 4.4 out of the box? I am asking because the root.
Also, if 4.2, is there a general plan when the phones will be 4.4 out of the box, or does this even happen?
Thanks

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
I would like to ask, if anybody know, if I buy a Droid Mini now, if the phone is 4.2 or 4.4 out of the box? I am asking because the root.
Also, if 4.2, is there a general plan when the phones will be 4.4 out of the box, or does this even happen?
Thanks

FWIW the brand new Moto X DE I received today was still on 4.2.2 pre camera update.

Metfanant

Jan 10, 2011
Its probably gonna depend on how long the phone has been sitting there...my GUESS is it will still be 4.2.2 but could be new wrong obviously

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

coronanlime

Mar 13, 2010
Anyone want to trade my locked version for a DE version. Lol :(

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

LannieB

Nov 22, 2012
Dallas!
I know you asked about a Mini ... BUT - I was in the VZW store yesterday and picked up a Maxx - software is 4.2.2 - 12.7.7 (build date Aug 6, 2013) ... all they did was put in the sim card and that stupid OTA started (yes, yes I asked which build was on there before purchase - they said it *should* have KK ~ they were all supposed to be updated once they got into the store blah blah blah) ~ regardless ... I didn't register an email, etc ~ all they did was put in a SIM and switch it on and *whammo* - it started ... I asked the guy to put it into Airplane mode until I could figure out what to do ...

Thus far, I've been sitting here with my phone *off* Airplane mode ~ have "Background Data Restricted" and it has managed to stop that ridiculous update that I *DO NOT* want until I have the time to get it rooted and rename / delete those OTA files *sigh* (it has about 12% of the update already downloaded, but like I said - it is "suspended" until I hook up to a wireless network (which automatically was toggled "On" when I took it out of Airplane Mode) ...

Is that the same same for Droid Mini??? I don't know ... but I suspect it may well be ... If your VZW store is anything like mine??? They'll probably pull one out othe box for you and let you look ... (don't ask / don't get, right? :eek:) ) ... HTH

JoshManning

Jul 6, 2013
The Maxx is still at 4.2.2 factory

Picked up a brand new one from Verizon today, and it was 4.2.2 out of the box. Tried to OTA as soon as they booted it, but I deferred so I could root, which thanks to Jcase was a piece of cake.

But I live in a small town that doesn't move as much stock at the bigger stores, so I would think it's possible 4.4 is now out of the box some places, but I don't know that for certain.

j.bruha

Jan 15, 2010
I just had my Employee Edition Maxx delivered and it had 4.4 installed right out of the box. This makes sense to me since this looks to be the newest Droid device that would've come off an assembly line since it has some hardware variance.

Not thrilled as I've come to rely on many root-based changes on my original Maxx. Will probably end up returning it because of this.

gbgopher

Sep 14, 2012
New Droid Maxx from Verizon store 5 days ago. 4.2 out-of-the-box, auto-updated to 4.4 before I even got out of the store.

xXKebobXx

Jul 27, 2012
What numbers are good and what numbers are bad that I should be looking for on a new boxed up device?