[APP] FM Radio for the Droid 2!!

Search This thread

E-Gwen

Jan 24, 2012
Limoges
Attached file missing

Hi,

Is someone be able to set a new link to the FMRadio_droid2.zip file, cause the link is dead ?

Thanks a lot. :)

E-Gwen.

dudesavage

Sep 19, 2015
I doubt it. But, if you can document that the One X uses the same FM chip as the Droid 2, it might be worth a shot. Otherwise, if you know your particular One X version does have an FM tuner, I'd recommend Spirit FM.

I tried the Spirit FM as well as NextRadio. They don't work on the Lollipop 5.1.1 ROM I recently updated. The NextRadio displayed a message saying that the Kernal has no driver for FM Chip, so is there anyway to get a driver for the FM Chip.
And also thanks for the files I will give it a shot and let you guys know.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

How about some more details. When you run it, what does it do (or not do)? Did you have a headset plugged in (it doubles as the antenna) when you tried it?

The radio apps such as nextradio says that the kernel does not have a FM Chip driver since I am using new ROM from SlimLP with 5.1.1 android. And yes I do use a headset as a antenna. So as suggest by jb789 I'll give it a shot.

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
I tried the Spirit FM as well as NextRadio. They don't work on the Lollipop 5.1.1 ROM I recently updated. The NextRadio displayed a message saying that the Kernal has no driver for FM Chip, so is there anyway to get a driver for the FM Chip.
And also thanks for the files I will give it a shot and let you guys know...
According to this post, the Droid 2 uses a Ti chip and the One X a Qualcomm so I'd be surprised if it works. Mike Reidis and his Spirit apps are probably your best bet, there's lots of references to Lollipop support but who knows, it may be ROM dependent.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instuctions to get FM Radio on Droid2

1. Droid2 must be rooted. Remount the /system to RW

2. Unzip the archive, and use abd push to put the files in the appropriate folders.
    cd system

a. adb push app/FMRadio.apk /system/app
    b. adb push app/FMRadioService.apk /system/app
    c. adb push bin/fmradioserver /system/bin
    d. adb push lib/libFMRadio.so /system/lib
    e. adb push lib/libfmradio_jni.so /system/lib
    f. adb push lib/libfmradioplayer.so /system/lib

3. Remount /system to ro
    4. Plug in headphones.
    5. Run FMradio
    6 ???
    7. Profit!

For me, I live in a crappy radio area, so I was only able to pick up 2 stations. YMMV.

As always I will not be responsible for any damage, pregnancies, or missing items from your home.

Thanks!

Slayher
    Forgot the Link

Forgot the link..
    LINKS! URL -> android.antbox.org/slayher/FMRadio_droid2.zip
    I'm going to do some more digging about the Droid 1; if it uses the same Broadcom chip as the others - the HTC Desire has been FM-radioed, too - it's not at all impossible. But there doesn't seem to be a consensus yet regarding which chip it has.
    A little research shows that although the Droid 1 has the necessary wireless chip, there is no physical connection to the headphone port, so it can't generate sound and doesn't have an antenna, making it, you know, not that useful. So for the Droid 1, possibly a lost cause, unless my sources are incorrect, which I really hope they are! ;)

These chips apparently can transmit FM, as well. Seriously, why don't these phones include these features? These seem like pretty killer features; are they really not worth the extra work to enable, connect, and code for?
    Here's another way w/out SDK, and full instructions

Install/setup FM Radio on Droid2 (most info from orignal post by Slayher, 08/31/10)

I did this on a Droid 2, FRG22d (new VZW stock phone, which I rooted)
    I added step by step instructions for those not as familiar with Linux systems and the mount and filesysetm permission commands.
    I did this almost completely on my droid 2 via the built-in terminal emulator after copying the necessary files to the sdcard, this is how my instructions are setup, but you could also use the SDK and push the files manually as long as you have root access to the SDK shell program on your droid. The root access is required because you need to manually change permissions on several files. Do this at your own risk, the only way I figure you could mess up is if you miss-type the mounting commands, or have some sort of power failure in the middle of it.

First go here >> android.antbox.org/slayher/FMRadio_droid2.zip
    Grab the file and unzip it on your computer. Your Droid 2 has the built-in radio hardware, I have no idea why they don’t send it with the software to run it (probably just a selling point for other models). When you unzip the file you should have 3 directories: /app, /bin, and /lib.
    Then put the files on your SD card, I did this in USB card-reader mode and put all three folders in a directory I called “fmradio”. These instructions assume you have the same directory on your sdcard.
    Open the terminal emulator program on your droid 2 and type these commands carefully, you will first see the prompt $. There are faster ways to do this, but these commands are safer and harder to mess up.

su (this will bring up the # prompt with root access)
    cd /sdcard/fmradio/app
    cp fmradioservice.apk /system/app (copy files to the android sysetm directory)
    cp fmradio.apk /system/app
    cd /sdcard/fmradio/bin
    cp fmradioserver /system/bin
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system (mount rw for permissions)
    chmod 0755 fmradioserver
    cd /sdcard/fmradio/lib
    cp libfmradio.so /system/lib
    cp libfmradio_jni.so /system /lib (that is a j in the filename after libfmradio_)
    cp libfmradioplayer.so /system/lib
    cd /system/lib
    chmod 0644 libfmradio.so
    chmod 0644 libfmradio_jni.so
    chmod 0644 libfmradioplayer.so
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system (remount back to ro)
    exit
    exit

Has a nice interface, and will scan and store stations, also reads the text ID for the stations. Works great in the Seattle area.

Michael
    To help clear up and consolidate information:

Permissions
    Permission in *nix, which included Android, work like so. Every file recognizes three boundaries: user, group, others. When doing a long listing of a file (ls -l) the first set of information displays permission. For example
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x
    The line above should be read in four parts.
    • The first dash indicates whether a file is a directory or no. If it's a 'd' then the file is a directory; a dash (-) means it's just a file.
    • The next three spots (2, 3, 4) indicate the permissions for the user, i.e. the owner of the file.
    • The next three spots (5, 6, 7) indicate the permissions for the group; each file has a group and each user can be part of multiple groups.
    • The last three spots (8, 9, 10) indicate the permissions for everyone else; if you're not the file's owner or part of its group these are the permissions you get.
    r means you can read the file. w means you can write to the file. x means you can execute the file or move into that directory.

So what's up with the numbers like 644 in the commands listed in other posts? The chmod command changes the permissions of a file; it takes the intended permissions as a group of three octals. Each digit is an octal number that corresponds to a certain mixture of permissions. To decode a chmod argument like 644 let's break it down:

• Each number in 644 corresponds to one of the same three groups above: user, group, others.
    • The order is the same as in the long listing: 6 = user, 4 = group, 4 = others.
    • To figure out how a single number translates into the three permissions (read, write, execute) you have to look at each permission in binary. This is a little complex so bear with me:
      1. Start with 0.
      2. If execute is on add 1.
      3. If write is on add 2.
      4. If read is on add 4.
      5. Using these rules you will result in some number between 0 and 7 (hence the octal part). A value of 6 can only be created by turning on write and read. A value of 5 would be read and execute.
    • If you do this for each digit in the argument you can determine just what permissions the file should have. 644 means the user has read and write, group has read, and others have read. 755 means the user has read, write, and execute; user has read and execute; and others have read and execute.

For FM Radio specifically only bin/fmradioserver should have execute permissions. Write permissions on each file should be given solely to user. Read permissions should be granted to user, group, and others.

It breaks down as thus:
    app/FMRadio.apk -rw-r--r-- (chmod 644)
    app/FMRadioService.apk -rw-r--r-- (chmod 644)
    bin/fmradioserver -rwx-r-x-r-x (chmod 755)
    lib/libfmradio_jni.so -rw-r--r-- (chmod 644)
    lib/libfmradioplayer.so -rw-r--r-- (chmod 644)
    lib/libFMRadio.so -rw-r--r-- (chmod 644)

Capitalization is important. *nix systems are case sensitive when it comes to file names.

Fission ROM
    This just won't work on Fission. There's probably some library Fission isn't including that the service expects. Fission does delete a lot of stuff when you install it so I assume something in there is needed.