[Q] How do I turn off the OTA notification?

Search This thread

beefamato

Jan 7, 2008
I'm on a non-dev Verizon and am rooted with 4.4. I don't want to upgrade and lose my root (re-enable WP, that is), so I've been delaying it by a day every time it shows. If I just want to stay on 4.4, how do I cancel the OTA notification?

overthatscreen

Mar 15, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but... If you're not on the stock recovery, it will download the OTA but fail to flash which in return prevents it from asking for another OTA attempt. At least that's my experience from other phones.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

beefamato

Jan 7, 2008
I did that once, and it stopped asking. But within a day or so it had downloaded the OTA again and began notifying me again.

D

Darth

Freeze Motorola ota app.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

Ezekial

Feb 6, 2011
I am in a similar boat as you. My 4.4 is setup and working great. One of these days I will update to 4.4.2 through a rooted SafeStrap install. However, I don't have enough benefit at the moment to do so and risk loosing root, etc.

To disable the damn annoying update prompt I have frozen FOTA and MotorolaOTA using TitaniumBackup.

Other unrelated apps frozen is AT&T Locker, Motorola Migrate, myAT&T, Visual Voicemail.

Reactions: beefamato

EVOSerb

Jan 17, 2011
Chicago
There are few threads I've seen about that. Search for it.

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
If you are rooted, use a file manager/explorer with root compatibility (like Root Explorer), navigate to /system/priv-app and rename 3C_OTA.APK to something like 3C_OTA.APK.BAK and restart your phone.

If the OTA ZIP has already downloaded, you also want to navigate to /cache and find/delete the update ZIP file.

Should you ever want to take the OTA in the future, you'll just need to "undo" the rename.

Reactions: beefamato

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am in a similar boat as you. My 4.4 is setup and working great. One of these days I will update to 4.4.2 through a rooted SafeStrap install. However, I don't have enough benefit at the moment to do so and risk loosing root, etc.

To disable the damn annoying update prompt I have frozen FOTA and MotorolaOTA using TitaniumBackup.

Other unrelated apps frozen is AT&T Locker, Motorola Migrate, myAT&T, Visual Voicemail.
    If you are rooted, use a file manager/explorer with root compatibility (like Root Explorer), navigate to /system/priv-app and rename 3C_OTA.APK to something like 3C_OTA.APK.BAK and restart your phone.

If the OTA ZIP has already downloaded, you also want to navigate to /cache and find/delete the update ZIP file.

Should you ever want to take the OTA in the future, you'll just need to "undo" the rename.