Google Maps Navigation: I've got it but I don't know how

Search This thread

Aitese

Apr 15, 2010
London
Hi all. I was one of the people moaning about the woeful volume levels on my T-Mobile UK Desire. I solved the issue by flashing with a generic ROM (although it seems to be a Virgin Media ROM judging from the bookmarks)

Anyway, being in the UK I didn't have access to the free Google Navigation...I even gave the Brut hack a try but uninstalled it due to it's unstable nature and lack of features.

Well, I've just been prompted to update to Maps 4.1.1 and I now have navigation. Fully functional, with the arrow and the street name (both missing in the hacked version)

Is this a general roll out by Google? Is this now available to everyone, even on branded ROMs, or is this an added bonus of flashing a generic ROM?

Let me know

UPDATE:

Google officially verify Navigation: http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/mobile/navigation/

Last edited:

Highland3r

Sep 27, 2009
I'm not using the desire (nexus user here) and navigation appears to be working ok for me as well!
Haven't recently updated maps (was on 4.1.1 before) so they must have allowed it to work in the UK now :D w00t!

micks_address

Apr 12, 2010
glad to hear you got the volume sorted... no navigation or update to maps here.. i cant even seen google maps in the market even though it cam pre installed on my phone.. .bummer

Reactions: fksuperstar

Raul Duke

Mar 28, 2010
I didn't even notice I had this. When I got my Desire, the update to maps was one of the first things it asked me to do.

I added the Brut hack because I just assumed it wasn't there.

It does state it is in beta still but yea, seems Navigation is included now.

fdrzrich

Oct 23, 2007
Maidstone
Working for me here to on my Desire. Just going to remove the brut hack to test it works without that...

[Edit] Yeah, it works fine with the Nav Launcher and Brut hack, excellent!

Last edited:

beaker656

Jan 12, 2008
Bolton
Well spotted Aitese!!
I hadn't bothered downloading the update to maps as I was using Brut maps and it worked well enough for me. However downloaded the update today, selected that newer version of maps for navigation and it is working. Haven't compared it against the cracked version (sat in an office) but looks to have more information on the screen etc.

daern

Jun 28, 2005
Have you got some screenshots? I've got Google Maps 4.1.1, but it all looks the same for me....what am I missing?

Aitese

Apr 15, 2010
London
Have you got some screenshots? I've got Google Maps 4.1.1, but it all looks the same for me....what am I missing?

Can't do screen shots as I don't have all the development junk here but just search for a destination and when it finds it you should have several options, show route, navigate or street view. The navigate option wasn't there when I first got the phone last week.

tifosi256

Jan 21, 2009
London
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Am I right in thinking the option "navigate" should be right under "show on map"? If so, I've not got this. I'm running the stock rom with Google Maps 4.1.1. Iv'e never applied any hacks to get navigation in the past.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know as I'd love to get this working.

daern

Jun 28, 2005
Can't do screen shots as I don't have all the development junk here but just search for a destination and when it finds it you should have several options, show route, navigate or street view. The navigate option wasn't there when I first got the phone last week.

Cool, working now. Had to reboot the phone to get it.... w00t!

Raul Duke

Mar 28, 2010
Yea, that's where it appears on mine.

I select 'Directions' from the menu, enter my destination, then under 'Show on Map' I get the 'Navigate' option.

I've uninstalled the Brut hack now and it's still there.

friedgoldmole

Jan 10, 2009
Shows up on my phone now after a reset, sweet. Shame I don't drive :)

Get the impression it might be a mistake though, looked at a google forum thread where someone mentioned on the 14th that they had navigation working on the 14th of April on his Nexus one, and a Google employee responded a couple of days later saying it was only enabled in the US.

Last edited:

Aitese

Apr 15, 2010
London
Get the impression it might be a mistake though, looked at a google forum thread where someone mentioned on the 14th that they had navigation working on the 14th of April on his Nexus one, and a Google employee responded a couple of days later saying it was only enabled in the US.

Well...if you suddenly get prompted to install Maps 4.1.2 any time soon...DON'T!

subharmonic

Mar 30, 2010
FWIW, Maps is on my T Mob handset as well, and has been since I got the phone wed /thurs last week.
I haven't tested the reliability of it though, but it's def there.
I'll try it out on the journey home...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    glad to hear you got the volume sorted... no navigation or update to maps here.. i cant even seen google maps in the market even though it cam pre installed on my phone.. .bummer