Bricked Device

Search This thread

benpfeil

Jan 2, 2011
I got a S4 today and I rooted it, and flashed CWM recovery, backed up the firmware, rebooted and everything was good. I updated the phone an hour so later and the boot hung on yellow Sprint screen. I rebooted into recovery and re-flashed my backup but that didn't fix the device. Now I've been trying to flash back to stock using Odin and this is what I see.

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> L720VPUEMK2_L720SPTEMK2_L720VPUEMK2_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Added!!

I was on 4.3 when this all started so I am attempting to flash the MK2 file back on my device. I removed the drivers, and re-installed and that made no difference. Any advice would be great.

xfullmetal17

Jan 31, 2011
Did you accept an OTA? Or did you try to flash a stock MK2 ROM?
I'd say flash an older tar if possible, especially if you plan to root again or install a custom ROM. The MK2 bootloader has KNOX enabled, so any root/custom ROM installs trip the counter.

benpfeil

Jan 2, 2011
I believe it updated via OTA after I activated it today. This was before I rooted. I am currently trying to flash the MK2 Rom. I've also tried MJA which is older. Is there an different older one that could work? I am planning on rooting again, but was going to run the stock rom for the time being. I've never an a touchwiz rom so I'm interested in trying it.

I have tried 3.09, 3.07, 1.85 for versions of Odin. All the same error.

I'm able to flash TWRP recovery from Odin without the error, but not the stock rom which is a bit confusing to me.

leaderbuilder

When you say
I updated the phone an hour so later
what did you 'update' it to and how? And even why?
Did you run Odin 'As administrator'?
What version of Odin are you using? 1.85 and 3.07 seem to work well.
Are you using a new USB cable? I've seen LOADS of issues with USB cables (ports too)

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Try and boot to stock recovery and do a factory reset.

Oh and also you are not BRICKED, you're just borked.

Reactions: ParkerParker

benpfeil

Jan 2, 2011
When you say what did you 'update' it to and how? And even why?
Are you using a new USB cable? I've seen LOADS of issues with USB cables (ports too)

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

I updated some apps and rebooted. Always find that this best after a lot of app updates.
Odin running as admin on Win 7 64. Mostly been using 3.07. USB cable is the new one that ship with the phone.

I've been looking for a stock recovery I can flash with Odin but can't seem to find one. Can you provide a link? Maybe I'm just missing it?

xfullmetal17

Jan 31, 2011
Are you flashing the full MK2 including boot? There's some thing where the phone refuses to boot into an MK2 ROM unless you've updated the bootloader as well.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Since you are on MK2 already try using the 3.09 version of odin. It seems to work best with MK2. Also, if you have the MJA tar file try that one. Either MJA or MK2 should flash on your phone.

benpfeil

Jan 2, 2011
Since you are on MK2 already try using the 3.09 version of odin. It seems to work best with MK2. Also, if you have the MJA tar file try that one. Either MJA or MK2 should flash on your phone.

I re-downloaded Odin 3.09, USB drivers (using 1,5,29), the rom and attempted to flash again and get the same error in Odin. Same result with MJA too.

leaderbuilder

I re-downloaded Odin 3.09, USB drivers (using 1,5,29), the rom and attempted to flash again and get the same error in Odin. Same result with MJA too.
Hmm, you're doing or missing something because in the last week or so there have been about five or ten people with close to the same issue (HELP, I'M BRICKED, MY LIFE IS OVER...etc.) and we've mangaged to get them all work. I've posted dozens of replies to those people and they've been able to get up and running following others and my advice(s).
Spend some time and go through the first few pages of the Q&A, Help forum and read all the way through some of the similar posts. Then try what is suggested in them.
You will resolve your issue. IF you don't, just warranty your phone or grab an iPhone.

benpfeil

Jan 2, 2011
I broke down and stopped into Sprint tonight. I had tried the process on 3 different PC's and still no luck. They tried to flash it and weren't able to as well. The woman in the store told me they could not exchange it because they do not have the phone yet. I was confused by this. The phone that I have has "Sprint Spark" on it which is a tri-band phone and the stores do not have it yet. My company has a large plan with Sprint and we get our phones shipped directly to us. She said I would have to have my procurement person request a new phone for me. My model is actually SPH-L720T. My guess is that this was causing my issues.

Thank you to you all who tried to help out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When you say
    I updated the phone an hour so later
    what did you 'update' it to and how? And even why?

Sammobile.com has the mk5 tar file for the 720T.

Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD