One XL Audio DAC

Search This thread

raytraceme

Dec 23, 2011
New Hyde Park, NY
For those of you who are interested, I used RMAA and my M-Audio Firewire 410 audio interface to record and analyze the following:

- Samsung Nexus S with Voodoo Sound
- HTC One X LTE with sound processing off
- HTC One X LTE with Beats audio on (headphone set to Other)

I used supercurio's new app that plays a RMAA test signal to do this. Also, I repeated each test twice to verify that my results were accurate.

Note that on the One X, the output level doesn't go beyond -10dB when volume is at maximum, so I adjusted the Nexus S to -10 dB, even though it can go higher.

I have no idea if my methodology is sound, but I'd say the frequency response speaks for itself.

COuld you do a test using power amp instead and include srs sound enhancement because to me poweramp is better than stock att one x music player.

sassafras_

Aug 18, 2010
COuld you do a test using power amp instead and include srs sound enhancement because to me poweramp is better than stock att one x music player.

You miss the point of the RMAA. The frequency response should be the flat white line. Anything else indicates the device has colored the sound and is subject to the listeners subjective bias on what sounds 'good'.

I can understand some deviation on the 'beats' setting, but for stock? That is silly.

sassafras

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Some studies suggest 0.5 to 1 dB in overall volume is discernible to certain people. Not sure about variations in a frequency response spectrum, but the easy way to check is to play around with an equalizer.

Still, I don't think it matters too much. I still find the One X has good sound, except for the annoying hiss.

Isn't 1 dB double the intensity? (Because it's a logarithmic scale) I would hope you could discern that.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

crabnebula

Apr 20, 2010
Montreal

For your info, I didn't use the stock music player. I used supercurio's new app called "Voodoo Audio measurement play", which ensures that the test signal (it has built-in flac audio files) isn't altered by any processing during playback.

belyle

Aug 9, 2010
Kent, WA
Overall I'd say that apart from the noise, any differences are slight and won't detract from the listening experience. To me the frequency response is very similar to the Galaxy S (ie, flat), but mids/vocals sound a little more transparent.

Compared to Wolfson/Voodoo, the sound stage on the One X feels a little wider/more open and separation is perhaps a bit better too, but there is also a slight harshness/sibilance and the details are a little bit less refined. Again, the differences are small and I'm just giving you my own impressions.

If it weren't for the noise -- that apparently only I hear :) -- I'd be perfectly happy with the One X. I actually prefer it on some material because it just feels more transparent/open.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Regarding the noise.

Just an example of a track where I hear obvious hiss on the One X and nothing on the Nexus S :

Artist: Destroyer
Album: Kaputt
Song: Bay of Pigs

On this track hiss is easily audible for at least the first minute.

I'll try to post other examples from more mainstream stuff later on.

I hear the white noise, too. I find that it's really obvious with IEM of any quality. To hear it for yourself, try plugging in your headphones, but not starting any music. Then, start playing a song (I use Google Play Music, but also hear it in Pandora). I find that the white noise is especially noticeable at low volumes (I tend to listen to my music one or two clicks above mute). It is much worse when 'beats' is active than when I leave 'beats' off.

Without having the phone handy for AB comparison, I do remember the Nexus S (with Voodoo) having far superior sound quality, at least with respect to noise.

mesasone

Jul 14, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Actually 6 dB would be a twice as loud a 1dB increase is about a 12% increase.

It depends on what you are measuring. If you're measuring power, then 3dB would be a doubling - if you're measuring voltage then 6dB would be correct. Typically these readings are going to involve some kind of load, so you'll be looking at power out.

Also as an aside, it takes an approximately 10 dBm increase to make something twice as "loud".

crabnebula

Apr 20, 2010
Montreal
I hear the white noise, too. I find that it's really obvious with IEM of any quality. To hear it for yourself, try plugging in your headphones, but not starting any music. Then, start playing a song (I use Google Play Music, but also hear it in Pandora). I find that the white noise is especially noticeable at low volumes (I tend to listen to my music one or two clicks above mute). It is much worse when 'beats' is active than when I leave 'beats' off.

Without having the phone handy for AB comparison, I do remember the Nexus S (with Voodoo) having far superior sound quality, at least with respect to noise.

Thanks for confirming that you hear the noise too. Indeed, Beats increases the noise substantially and this is probably due to the spike in high frequencies that it creates, as seen in the frequency response. The Nexus S is dead silent with respect to noise when you compare both side by side.

I'll be very curious to see how the North American Galaxy S III performs compared to the One X, given that it is also based on the same S4 processor.

In the end, I absolutely love the One X as a phone, and will I'll probably endure its slight deficiencies in SQ unless the S3 is much better.

lamenramen

Jul 19, 2011
I can confirm that the One X (tegra 3 version) has a vastly inferior sound chip.
I have an iPhone 4, and upon switching, I immediately noticed a difference. In fact, noticing this difference without any prior reading is what drove me to look for this thread.

The difference is not placebo, and it's not a matter of what my ears are used to. I gave the One X a good 2 week exclusive listen, and I did not like what I heard. The iPhone 4's sound quality is far better, and it's hard to describe but it's got deeper, tighter, denser bass; better balance, more overall volume, everything is more controlled. It just sounds right; the One X I found to fatiguing. Listening through $300 headphones.

I hear that the One XL is much nicer, along with far better battery life, which would completely fix my two biggest gripes with the One X Tegra 3 version. Ain't no way that the Tegra 3 will fix these qualities. The processor sucks juice, period. The sound chip isn't going to magically improve, either. As an aside, I agree that Beats is a complete lie, and if I was judge and jury, I'd prosecute them for false advertising. There's marketing, and then there's beats.

DesirableDesire

Nov 20, 2010
Brisbane
Is it just me or does everyone get the buzzing sort of noise when they are plugged into power and have the headphones in with nothing playing, and it is still there when listening to something also. It annoys me so much and I have to unplug my phone whenever listening to something. Holding my finger on the camera lens stops the noise but this is uncomfortable, and the noise returns as soon as I lift my finger. I'm guessing it's some sort of electrical interference. It only happens when it is plugged into AC power, not when in my computer via usb.

Is it just me or does everyone have this annoying noise? It's not something which you have to listen closely for.

UPDATE: It only happens when plugged into the HTC adapter that came with my phone, just tried plugging the cord into an iPhone power adapter and there is no background buzzing sound.. Is this happening with anyone else? Maybe it is just mine, or maybe its just the Australian ones?

ThisWasATriumph

Aug 14, 2010
Detroit
Xiaomi Mi 9
Is it just me or does everyone get the buzzing sort of noise when they are plugged into power and have the headphones in with nothing playing, and it is still there when listening to something also. It annoys me so much and I have to unplug my phone whenever listening to something. Holding my finger on the camera lens stops the noise but this is uncomfortable, and the noise returns as soon as I lift my finger. I'm guessing it's some sort of electrical interference. It only happens when it is plugged into AC power, not when in my computer via usb.

Is it just me or does everyone have this annoying noise? It's not something which you have to listen closely for.

UPDATE: It only happens when plugged into the HTC adapter that came with my phone, just tried plugging the cord into an iPhone power adapter and there is no background buzzing sound.. Is this happening with anyone else? Maybe it is just mine, or maybe its just the Australian ones?

The bundled adapter I found to be extremely poor quality in regards to electrical noise. Causes the touchscreen to go all wacky and headphone noise. Plus the cord's way too short. Haven't used it since I got it.

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com

Assuming the audio has JUST stopped (within 1 second) yes there is a buzz, but this has nothing to do with the ac adapter and is set to stop after one second. If yours continues to buzz after that 1 second and nothing is playing I'd say that's odd. I'm also not sure why the camera lense would affect it either.

DesirableDesire

Nov 20, 2010
Brisbane
Assuming the audio has JUST stopped (within 1 second) yes there is a buzz, but this has nothing to do with the ac adapter and is set to stop after one second. If yours continues to buzz after that 1 second and nothing is playing I'd say that's odd. I'm also not sure why the camera lense would affect it either.

This must be different, because this is as soon as the headphones are plugged in the noise is present. I'm guessing holding the finger on the lens is some sort of grounding or something because it stops if I hold my finger on the exposed part of the headphone connecter in the headphone jack.

crabnebula

Apr 20, 2010
Montreal
For those of you who are interested, I used RMAA and my M-Audio Firewire 410 audio interface to record and analyze the following:

I used supercurio's new app that plays a RMAA test signal to do this. Also, I repeated each test twice to verify that my results were accurate.

Note that on the One X, the output level doesn't go beyond -10dB when volume is at maximum, so I adjusted the Nexus S to -10 dB, even though it can go higher.

I have no idea if my methodology is sound, but I'd say the frequency response speaks for itself.

I repeated measurements with a new USB audio interface (a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6) and obtained different results for the One X LTE.

The frequency response is now almost identical to what GSMArena obtained for the HTC One S, which is what we should expect given that they use the same hardware.

Since this is a newer audio interface, and my older one is now dead, I'd say the previous results were probably due to that.

Attachments

• d39536c9_fr.png
    d39536c9_fr.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 176

aznrice2k4

May 27, 2010
Chi-Town
One thing that. I've noticed is that with beats enabled there's this static in the background. The white noise becomes even more noticeable when I enable dither in neutron. I'm using neutron 64bit version and I gotta say wow this is almost comparable to my infuse with voodoo sound and neutron.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: I repeated the below measurements with a new USB sound card (a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6) and obtained a different result one the One X. Please see new post later in this thread.

---------------------------------------

The other discussions are buried in other threads like Cool underrated features. It's an important enough topic to have its own thread, or the thread can die if others don't think so.
    Good stuff. Compared to the voodoo nexus, how does the the One X do when it comes to detail, sound stage and instrument separation? assuming "beats" is off, does it have a colored sound signature or is it flat/accurate?

Thanks!

Overall I'd say that apart from the noise, any differences are slight and won't detract from the listening experience. To me the frequency response is very similar to the Galaxy S (ie, flat), but mids/vocals sound a little more transparent.

Compared to Wolfson/Voodoo, the sound stage on the One X feels a little wider/more open and separation is perhaps a bit better too, but there is also a slight harshness/sibilance and the details are a little bit less refined. Again, the differences are small and I'm just giving you my own impressions.

If it weren't for the noise -- that apparently only I hear :) -- I'd be perfectly happy with the One X. I actually prefer it on some material because it just feels more transparent/open.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Regarding the noise.

Just an example of a track where I hear obvious hiss on the One X and nothing on the Nexus S :

Artist: Destroyer
    Album: Kaputt
    Song: Bay of Pigs

On this track hiss is easily audible for at least the first minute.

I'll try to post other examples from more mainstream stuff later on.
    Hopefully we got the One S DAC. Could someone that knows how, please check. One X (Intl) doesn't fair very well.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_s-review-746p5.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/gsmarena_lab_tests-review-751p4.php
    The HTC One S performance in our audio quality test came as a really pleasant surprise to us. It appears that the Beats influence hasn't been limited to a single equalizer preset this time as the smartphone delivers the cleanest output we have seen from any device so far.
    I haven't seen many posts of people that are concerned with audio quality.

I ended up purchasing a Rogers One X LTE here in Canada, to replace my Samsung Nexus S. I've been using Voodoo Sound with the Nexus S.

So how do they compare?

Well, after A/B'ing various material, the most important audible difference to me is the background noise (or hiss, if you prefer) that is definitely louder on the One X.

However, the only time I can really hear it is during near-silent passages (eg, at the beginning of a song that starts from complete silence). Also, at high volume levels, the noise in the Nexus S increases significantly and comes close to par. This is probably in large part due to Voodoo Sound on the Nexus S, which keeps the amplifier at its minimum level by maximizing digital volume first.

All in all, I'm still quite satisfied with the SQ, but will probably give the Galaxy S III a try.

Too bad we can't get the equivalent of Voodoo Sound with manual control over the amplifier on the One X...

For the record, I've been comparing the phones using Monster Turbine Pro Copper IEMs. Beats audio processing was obviously turned off. I also tried my ATH-AD700 cans, and with those the noise is completely inaudible even at max volume levels on the One X.