2.1 update for UK streaks

Search This thread

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
maybe people stuck wit h market in the UK should try the original 1.6 string...
has anyone got the build. prop from the 4339 build?
here's the one from 3883. If you change that line in build.prop to see if it works on UK 2.1UPDATES....
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=qsd8250_surf-user 1.6 Donut 3883 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=Dell/qsd8250_surf/qsd8250_surf/8x50:1.6/Donut/3883:user/release-keys;

Last edited:

jdsemler

Aug 17, 2007
Austin
That might work, but wouldn't using a 1.6 fingerprint limit you to not being able to see the 2.1 apps? For example, you cannot see apps like LauncherPro in the market from a 1.6 device.

bigsro

Nov 30, 2008
Stoke-on-Trent
Have to say, ive had no problems whatsoever with my newly upgraded Streak. Eclair is so much better. The official update should be just around the corner.

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

OliFos

Oct 31, 2008
I'm having no great issues witht he new build other than apps missing in the market. I've tried the build fix and gmail/googlemail swap as mentioned but I can't see certain apps.

Can you guys see the National Rail application in the market for example? I can't and there's a few others like the Pure Calendar widget etc that are missing for me.

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
The signal strength is much improved. I now have 3 bars of HSDPA compared to none at all under 1.6. It means i can actually use it for the purpose it was bought!

Fazziebear

Jul 26, 2010
I'm in the same boat, I can't see the national rail app or pandora radio. I've deleted my cache but no progress. Not sure what else to try.

Fazziebear

Jul 26, 2010
I got 2.1 going on my Streak, but I noticed I couldn't see protected apps in the Android Market. I edited the build.prop file of my phone in a way similar to what the Eris fix

Im going to try the above from jdsemler, I'll let you know how iget on

fards

looking at various build.prop and the one from the 2.1 update I reckon we could change

ro.build.fingerprint=Dell/qsd8250_surf/qsd8250_surf/8x50:2.1-update1/ERE27/eng.cmbuild.20100805.171647:user/release-keys

to
ro.build.fingerprint=Dell/qsd8250_surf/qsd8250_surf/8x50:2.1-update1/ERE27/6941:user/release-keys

or

ro.build.fingerprint=Dell/qsd8250_surf/qsd8250_surf/8x50:2.1-update1/Eclair/6941:user/release-keys

Even more reading around, looks like it MUST be an existing rom fingerprint that google have already approved... so the 3883 build will work but its going to be 1.6 only..
http://www.androidguys.com/2010/04/20/protected-apps-missing-htc-desire-owners/

the verizon works as should any other 2.1 build thats been out for a while.

Last edited:

illmatic75

Jan 28, 2009
Leeds
been into the o2 store today on my lunch to play with the streak... said there was an update adavilable and to connect to wifi to download it. guess o2 are pushing this out OTA now?

Any news on getting the 1.2 update to work on unlocked dell streaks? i.e the ones bought directly from dell and not through carphone warhouse or o2?

dont think its available yet :(

Fazziebear

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks fards, im going to try the eris patch and report back. Would have dobe,it already but I aint had time...........groan. That's the trouble with working for living!

fards

Thanks fards, im going to try the eris patch and report back. Would have dobe,it already but I aint had time...........groan. That's the trouble with working for living!

all it does it change the ro.footprint line of text in boot.prop to verizon, try that one first, although if you're uk then try a desire one for eclair first as it maywork better...

if you have rootexplorer from marketplace (it's cheap) then you can edit the boot.prop on the device as it has an option to edit with a text editor.

there's loads of other settings in there I'm having a play with.. set hdmi to false to see if it would increase the FPS past 30, but no joy..

Fazziebear

Jul 26, 2010
looking at various build.prop and the one from the 2.1 update I reckon we could change

ro.build.fingerprint=Dell/qsd8250_surf/qsd8250_surf/8x50:2.1-update1/ERE27/eng.cmbuild.20100805.171647:user/release-keys

to
ro.build.fingerprint=Dell/qsd8250_surf/qsd8250_surf/8x50:2.1-update1/ERE27/6941:user/release-keys

or

ro.build.fingerprint=Dell/qsd8250_surf/qsd8250_surf/8x50:2.1-update1/Eclair/6941:user/release-keys

Even more reading around, looks like it MUST be an existing rom fingerprint that google have already approved... so the 3883 build will work but its going to be 1.6 only..
http://www.androidguys.com/2010/04/20/protected-apps-missing-htc-desire-owners/

the verizon works as should any other 2.1 build thats been out for a while.

Fards I tried these and no luck. Trying the eris one now

Fazziebear

Jul 26, 2010
No luck so far....just going to reset my phone to see of it works......[small cry]

dkl_uk

Jul 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Er, help.

I've just rooted my phone and i'm now on attempt #6 of flashing the 2.1 update.

Why oh why do I end up with the stock OS as if i've just taken the phone out of the box?

I am:
Booting the phone using the volume up/down & power.
Option 2 - recovery.
Nice little status bar with the upackaged box image.
Reboots.
Second little status bar and box image.
Reboots.
Welcome back to a stock 1.6 OS.

Why??

Oh and if it's any help - the baseband ends in 21 - so i'm assuming it's "21" and it's build 4399. Bought from O2.

***********FURTHER UPDATE***********
Whatever file modaco and several forum posts on here are referring to, I am guessing it's the stock O2 ROM which is the half-way update for those who can't get to 2.1 from their own ROMs. I have no found a different update file from Mediafire and have applied this successfully. 2.1 is so far looking fairly awesome and i'm about to throw the VR Tunnel live wallpaper at it.

Last edited:

Fazziebear

Jul 26, 2010
No luck with the build. Prop file. I'm guessing my inexperience was the reason. Tried the market enabler.pkg (thanks dcogen) and it worked a dream.

Jezza0

Mar 6, 2009
Southampton
Fards I tried these and no luck. Trying the eris one now

Did you find the Eris hack TOTALLY ruined your phone? When I tried this, I could no longer unlock the phone, apparently because the screen calibration was way off. After a factory reset, the phone freezed whenever it booted to GUI. Currently, I'm still trying to recover it an hour later!

fards

Did you find the Eris hack TOTALLY ruined your phone? When I tried this, I could no longer unlock the phone, apparently because the screen calibration was way off. After a factory reset, the phone freezed whenever it booted to GUI. Currently, I'm still trying to recover it an hour later!

why didn't you just try and change the ro.footprint line in boot.prop ?

can you link to the eris fix you used as the one I saw was just a boot.prop with the line changed, at least that's what the thread suggested.

Jezza0

Mar 6, 2009
Southampton
why didn't you just try and change the ro.footprint line in boot.prop ?

Cos I was trying to take a shortcut, thinking that the very worst that could happen would be that I'd have to do a factory reset. How wrong I was

can you link to the eris fix you used as the one I saw was just a boot.prop with the line changed, at least that's what the thread suggested.

Got it from the market.

Streak's at home dead at the moment. I have stock recovery and stock 4399 as update.pkg on the SD card, but it won't install it -- just gives me a blank screen on update. Have to try and fix it tonight.

Back on my trusty X1 for now :)