[ROM] Official Sony Xperia ICS Beta for PLAY - Feedback requested

Search This thread

ultraprimeomega

Oct 31, 2006
Texas
I flashed gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip & then gapps-ics-facelock-20120131-signed.zip

EDIT: Just tried it and its working. It detected my face

What kernel do you have?

and others that have face unlock working or not?

re-flashed everything and now face unlock does not work with doomkernel installed

UPDATE: i give up on this, this is beta rom and i have sent a report on this rom, but i might be doing something wrong or wrong files

Last edited:

XperiaPlayer

Jul 26, 2011
Manchester
Flashing gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip & then gapps-ics-facelock-20120131-signed.zip causes Face Unlock not to show up in Settings -> Security -> Lock. I am on the rom from this thread and DoomLord Advanced Stock kernel.

stewart1988

May 6, 2008

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-06-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-06-44.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-06-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-06-59.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-07-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-07-15.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-07-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-07-21.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-07-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-07-45.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-08-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-08-15.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-08-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-30-22-08-34.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 132

clivejefferies

Dec 28, 2010
Manchester
I have spent the day setting up the device to how I want, adding all my apps, changing home etc., now it is really laggy, FIFA and MC3 both crash. Why didnt they make this dual core? FPSE still works well though.

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
It seems the graphics bug lies with Dooms OC kernel, with kernel provided the bug is not present. ;)

Few things to keep in mind.. This Rom was released just a few hours back... So official kernel sources are not available.. We are using the kernel sources which are meant for ARC modifying, patching them to work on PLAY... So a few bugs are expected...

Sent from my LT18i using XDA

ten_tickles

Nov 1, 2010
Leicester
Few things to keep in mind.. This Rom was released just a few hours back... So official kernel sources are not available.. We are using the kernel sources which are meant for ARC modifying, patching them to work on PLAY... So a few bugs are expected...

Sent from my LT18i using XDA

Thats cool man, I admire your work as always....just thought I should report here that the official kernel for this rom doesn't have the graphic bug,and neither does your advanced stock kernel ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: DooMLoRD
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Game title: Reckless Racing 2
What was your general impression? Ok bar the crashing
Did the buttons work properly? Seemed to
Did the touch pads work properly? Seemed to
Did you experience any lagging? Yes but only just before the crash.
Any other feedback? After 2-4 races the phone crashes and reboots.

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
I found a program that the touchpads work... but are backwards for up and down

meaning
up=down
down=up

right and left are correct
right = right
left = left

the program is a popular emulator for a late 90's 64 bit game console don't want to name the program with you guys watching this thread and it being a grey market program ;)

however... if you guys can have an option to reverse the orientation of the touchpads on demand it would be very helpful. This is more a app developer problem rather than a Sony problem. But if you could change it on both ends it would be better for user customization.

Other than that, everything working A-OK so far!

romcio47

Nov 27, 2010
Bydgoszcz
Wow... ROM works pretty nice, the only thing I don't like is a,laggy launcher, little bit laggy system and HEAVY battery drain.
But every other thing is sweeeeeeeeeet! I can't wait for the final release of ICS!

Sent from my beautiful Xperia PLAY using xda premium

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011
Game Testing:

Dragon's Lair (Optimized for Xperia Play) - works very well with the Gamepad. Video playback is comparable to GB 2.3.3, or slightly smoother.

Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (ver. 1.15.26 from 2.3.3 XPlay) - goes black and immediately back to Launcher.

Dead Space ver 1.1.38 - freezes and locks up phone

Will try some more during my break and edit this list.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all devs,

Today we are releasing an ICS beta for Xperia PLAY. After releasing the ICS beta ROM for three other phone models, we got a lot of requests from Xperia™ PLAY users that wanted to try out ICS. As games are such a crucial part of Xperia PLAY and we know that some games need to be optimised, we are really interested in your feedback within this area.

You can submit your feedback either in the Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM survey for Xperia™ PLAY or in this thread. If possible, please describe your experience of different games on the following format:

Game title:
    What was your general impression?
    Did the buttons work properly?
    Did the touch pads work properly?
    Did you experience any lagging?
    Any other feedback?

Thankful for all your feedback!
    /Kalle
    Sony Mobile - Developer Relations
    @KalleD, when can we expect kernel sources for this ROM to be released, I and DooMLoRD are eagerly awaiting them to develop a custom kernel. Current sources are outdated and are restricting development :)

Thanks,

Keiran
    Hi Keiran,
    We are working on the open source archives for the Xperia PLAY beta. Expect it to take at least one more week. There are some differences/updates compared to the beta release open source archives, one month earlier for ray/arc S/neo V. Will keep you posted on progress with the archives.

Also a big thanks to you and everyone that are contributing with testing the SW. Really impressed to see such great and massive response.

FYI: Calle Johansson (XDA username: "CarlJohansson"), also in the Sony Developer World team, is following this thread daily to gather your feedback and is putting together a report from your experiences that will be shared with the ICS SW project development team.

/Kalle
    Sony - Developer Relations
    I'm tired of all complaints from, let's say, Angry Users. Here's my opinion:

Xperia PLAY is a smartphone for GAMING. If the games are laggy on ICS and there are also problems with buttons and touchpad, there's no point in releasing new OS! I don't understand people's whining about the lack of ICS. I don't even imagine more than 120 updates for the games only because of the problems with running on ICS. Most of you, people, are very selfish ones. You blame Sony for the lack of ICS and I see this situation in few versions:

Situation #1. Sony: "No ICS for you, we're sorry, guys. Not every game runs perfect so we will not release the update for you because we want you to have the best gaming experience."
    Angry Users: "F*CK SONY"

Situation #2. Xperia PLAY receives its update, many MANY games run bad (as we can see in many pages in this thread - many problems).
    Angry Users: "YOU RELEASED THE ICS AND THE GAMES ARE BUGGY. FIX IT NOW"
    Sony: "Unfortunately, it's not our fault. You have to request new updates for these games as they have to be updated for the new solutions that were implemented for Xperia PLAY controls"
    Angry users: "NO IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT. THESE GAMES RUN WITH NO PROBLEMS ON GB, SO THEY CAN RUN THE SAME ON ICS. YOU SUCK. F*CK SONY"

(Barely possible) Situation #3. Being blamed, Sony finally releases Xperia PLAY's update, many games were updated because of the problems.
    Angry Users become Happy Users: "YAY, SONY! YOU ROCK!" (hypocritic)

Why is it impossible?
    Xperia PLAY is just a ONE phone that won't be compatible with many games. So I know these games won't be updated just because they run badly on ONE smartphone.

Yesterday I saw one comment that made me laugh. "Why don't you, Sony, release ICS for Xperia PLAY especially for normal daily use for the people who don't play at all? Normal users would use ICS and gamers would stay on GB."

I know that some of Xperia PLAY users may not play (they were forced to have it because of the carrier's plan or they received it as a gift, present form other person, etc etc etc) but most of people had bought the phone to play games. And what's the point of buying Xperia PLAY and not playing AT ALL?

I would like to ask a question:
    Do the games run slowly on other 2011 Xperia devices with ICS?

The short answer is: YES, THEY ARE!

I think I know why Sony don't bother about laggy games on OTHER 2011 Xperia devices. Because LOADS of them were bought by "normal" users who just use smartphones for calling, texting and surfing! Most of them doesn't play at all, they have the phone for normal "standard" usage!

So please remember - Xperia PLAY is a GAMING smartphone. The coolest feature if it is that we have INCREDIBLY UNIQUE device with the ability to play LOADS of games with its UNIQUE keyboard with never seen TOUCHPAD. Appreciate it, Sony made a great device, we should be proud of them they still care about the best gaming experience.

Besides - Sony. If you want to be fair, release your promised PS Store that will finally work on many countries. The only country that is supported in 100% is Japan. They have many many cool games (LOCOROCO. period.) and you promised that many countries will get full PS Suite support with the release of ICS.

Also, ICS had new and (for me) COOL Xperia PLAY games launcher. Why don't you release it for us? I think many people are bored of the old one (but I may be wrong, of course!).

And maybe you should think about updating GB to newer version, f.e. for the same version (and look) like Xperia S has?

That's all I wanted to say. In conclusion, a few words for the company:
    THANK YOU, SONY FOR BEING HONEST WITH US.
    I know this is going to sound mean, and I don't mean it that way.

For everyone who feels cheated by Sony's abandonment of ICS for the Play, now you know how the R800X Play owners feel all the time. We get left behind constantly with ROM development. There are so many cool ROMs that we would love to try, but it's "Sorry, it's only for GSM!" Same with bootloader GSM is a free unlock, CDMA has to pay someone to unlock.

I'm not blaming any of the devs for this. I know full well that it's Verizon's fault. It still sucks to be locked out.

So yeah, Play users got shafted by Sony. Welcome to our world.

Sent from my R800x using xda premium
    What about new version of pssuite?
    Xperia s, arc s should have new versio, but xperia play have old one!!!!
    Oh god
    I'll never trust sony, the sony's blog is the same sony-mobile
    I shouod change my signiture forever

This is the 8th time today I have seen you write about your eternal hate for Sony.

Please. Grow up, or shut up. Do not make everyone else suffer.

Sent from R800x