Screen can be turned off by touching cornor once in stock. Why not in custom ROMs?

Search This thread

95139ieaci

Oct 18, 2011
I thought that shortcut to turn off the screen by touching the corner once is highly desirable when I can't reach the power button because the phone is lying on the table. Yes, I am that lazy.
Yet, none of the custom ROMs I tried carries that shortcut. Instead, I have to touch the narrow status bar twice in order to turn off the screen. More often than not, I end up touching the clock which appears when I pull down the status bar and, apparently, when I touch the bar. This mistake opens the time and date setting and leads to me shouting and picking up the phone from the table and squeeze the power button angrily.
Is anyone missing that shortcut?

Last edited:

maydayind

Dec 10, 2011
I thought that shortcut to turn off the screen by touching the corner once is highly desirable when I can't reach the power button because the phone is lying on the table. Yes, I am that lazy.
Yet, none of the custom ROMs I tried carries that shortcut. Instead, I have to touch the narrow status bar twice in order to turn off the screen. More often than not, I end up touching the clock which appears when I pull down the status bar and, apparently, when I touch the bar. This mistake opens the time and date setting and leads to me shouting and picking up the phone from the table and squeeze the power button angrily.
Is anyone missing that shortcut?

How do u turn screan off by touching corners. Are u sure u are not running a 3party apps for that.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
If you use AOKP you can just put a power button on the navbar and turn it off there, done.

Otherwise, there are other methods posted in this very forum. You didn't look.

95139ieaci

Oct 18, 2011
If you use AOKP you can just put a power button on the navbar and turn it off there, done.

Otherwise, there are other methods posted in this very forum. You didn't look.

I don't use AOKP and I know there are other methods, but I want that particular method.
It's very neat, never misfire, invisible(until touched). Also it is a stock function(at least in the Korean version), therefore I wonder why doesn't custom ROMs include that which quite caters to G2.

DroidSloth

Mar 8, 2010
NY
I don't use AOKP and I know there are other methods, but I want that particular method.
It's very neat, never misfire, invisible(until touched). Also it is a stock function(at least in the Korean version), therefore I wonder why doesn't custom ROMs include that which quite caters to G2.

I'm on verizon stock, no such functionality and I have not read mention of it anywhere. I imagine if there were a spot where a single touch would shut off the screen it would be too easily triggered alllllll the time. Perhaps if you take a backup and flash back to stock you could demo this for better understanding?

apad

Dec 5, 2007
Batu Caves
Yes. You can actually switch off the screen by double tap anywhere in the status bar. I've tried all area and it just works! By default you need to be on homescreen to do this, but I think as the status bar was part of it, that why it works.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app

coogrrr94

Jan 20, 2011
I was just messing around with the settings on my Sprint lg g2. You can also turn off the screen by double tapping on an empty area. I've got some empty space on a couple of my home screens with no apps or widgets, double tapping will turn off the screen.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

archzz

Mar 14, 2011
Valmiera
I was just messing around with the settings on my Sprint lg g2. You can also turn off the screen by double tapping on an empty area. I've got some empty space on a couple of my home screens with no apps or widgets, double tapping will turn off the screen.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Haven't you heard of knock-on and knock-off features? Were you thinking you can only turn the screen on by double tapping it?

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app

madmurdoch

Nov 2, 2010
Try Invisible Lock Widget on Play Store. You set up an invisible widget on your home screen and press that. I've got 12 icons of it all round my clock.