[Tutorial] Upgrade your HTC HD7 memory to 32 GB

Search This thread

Dun3rider

Jan 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I know im asking a lot but is their anyway you can make a video of this. I know the instructions are very clear but i am paraniod about whether this is possible or not, i tried to pull of the back cover (The bottom part that says windows phone) and it didnt seem to come off. Its not that i dont understand what to do its just that i dont want to try it until i actually see a video of someone doing it, hope you can see from my perspective thanks

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
Replacing the SD card for more storage (up to 32GB)

You can safely replace the internal microSD card in the phone to increase storage space and maybe even performance.

WARNING: This will void your warranty with HTC and/or your carrier.

View this image: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5467/1230101402pub.jpg

What you need:

• One or two plastic opening tools, you can use these: http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Plastic-Opening-Tools/IF145-000
  • A T5 Torx screwdriver
  • One of the following microSD cards:
    • Sandisk Class 4 8GB microSD - SDSDQ-008G-J35A (used in 8GB version)
    • Sandisk Class 4 16GB microSD - SDSDQ-016G-J35A (used in 16GB version, tested)
    • Sandisk Class 2 32GB microSD - SDSDQM-032G-B35 (tested)
    • Sandisk Class 4 32GB microSD - SDSDQ-032G-J35A (not tested and only available in Asian markets)

Now, let's start.
First you need to disconnect all cables and turn off your phone by pressing and holding the power button. Now remove the top back cover, the battery and your SIM card.
The red dots on the bottom back panel with the metal strip indicate two hinges which face towards the bottom of the phone. You need to use the plastic opening tools in the green marked areas in the image linked above and thrust the bottom cover towards the battery area to remove it without damaging it. Now if that's done, get your screwdriver ready and unscrew all the screws marked with the yellow/green circles. One of them has a tiny warranty sticker on it.
If you removed all the screws and put them in a safe place, lift up the cover, you can do that using the kickstand, don't worry, even though you removed two screws there, it's not loose.
Now, if you've done that, peel off the gray cloth tape strip covering the microSD card slot and push the SD card a little into the slot to remove it using the spring load.
Now insert your new SD card, reassemble the phone, hold down both volume buttons and power it on, keep the volume buttons pressed until you see blue text on gray background, then release both volume buttons and press volume down to reset your phone to factory settings.
Enjoy your capacity upgrade.

If you would like to be able to use your old SD card in another phone or your computer, you will need to format it using a device with secure digital password protection support. You don't need to know the password for that. Most Symbian devices can do this, if you don't have one, try to ask the nice person in your local mobile phone store to lend you one for one or two minutes.

Now for some performance statistics:

SDSDQ-016G-J35A said:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 14.792 MB/s
Sequential Write : 5.463 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 14.434 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 4.537 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.908 MB/s [ 221.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.562 MB/s [ 137.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.212 MB/s [ 295.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.030 MB/s [ 7.4 IOPS]

Test : 4000 MB [H: 0.6% (0.1/14.8 GB)] (x1)
Date : 2010/12/30 18:14:13

SDSDQ-032G-B35 said:
CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 15.827 MB/s
Sequential Write : 5.660 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 15.035 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 5.020 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.034 MB/s [ 496.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.243 MB/s [ 59.3 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.086 MB/s [ 265.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.036 MB/s [ 8.8 IOPS]

Test : 4000 MB [H: 0.3% (0.1/29.7 GB)] (x1)
Date : 2010/12/30 13:48:07

As you can see, the 32GB Class 2 card is actually faster than the one that came with the device.

Last edited:
Reactions: bahrami_a

Program.X

Nov 17, 2010
effect on unlocked phone?

Thanks for the time spent on investigating and documenting this. Obviously, as you say, a hard reset is required for the phone. Having unlocked my HD7 from Manx Telecom, will this re-lock my phone?

Program.X

Nov 17, 2010
No. Once a phone is unlocked, it is for life.

Thanks for that. I forgot to ask, also ... what about my having a dev-unlocked phone? Will it retain its status, require reunlocking or require re-unlocking using one of my permitted 3 devices for my app account?

Seems like I might just have a "stab" at this.

Wolfman017

Jan 11, 2008
Toulouse
For that point, I don't know. It will be like if you make a hard reset of your phone. So if this hard reset does not "kill" one of your permission, it should do the trick.

Reactions: Program.X

ricklo19

Jan 15, 2008
Good to know

Ok, so I am wondering. No other 32gb card other than the a Sandisk Class 2 works only right? Since it's class 2. Is it still able to capture the 720p good? You know stuff like that. I just want to know if it will effect any high speed data transferring. Please help?

Wolfman017

Jan 11, 2008
Toulouse
As I know, this is the only compatible card. Maybe someone will find other compatible models, but for now this is the only alternative.
Concerning performance, I did not notice any loss.

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
another same thread already exist(Sticky)
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10012169&postcount=1
use search button before posting....
Best regards ;)

Now, to be fair, I have looked and not seen that thread, but it's not the same as it does neither list the model numbers of SD cards HTC themselves use for those devices that ship from the factory or other definitely working ones and their performance.
Also as you can see here, he broke or overbent the hooks in the bottom back cover.

KingP1n

Jan 1, 2011
can you post a video on how you took the back bottom cover off? i have those tools but i really dont want to break the hooks...and thanks for the new instructions..the other instructions had you break off the hooks which is why im waiting for better instructions!

Last edited:

KingP1n

Jan 1, 2011
dorianmuthig

when you get a chance, pls create a video on how you removed the bottom back cover without breaking anything! Thanks

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
I can't make you a video, because I don't have a camera, but basically you first pry it up on the left and right, there are special gaps there. Then you pry above the headphone jack and push it upwards and then it's loose.
When you put it back on, you put it on there a bit above its actual position and push down on the areas left and right of metal strip first. When you push down the cover at the bottom it'll snap into place.

KingP1n

Jan 1, 2011
I can't make you a video, because I don't have a camera, but basically you first pry it up on the left and right, there are special gaps there. Then you pry above the headphone jack and push it upwards and then it's loose.
When you put it back on, you put it on there a bit above its actual position and push down on the areas left and right of metal strip first. When you push down the cover at the bottom it'll snap into place.

So, based on the videos on you tube and the other instructions on this website; you 1st should pry open from the sides and not going straight down like the other instructions correct? Thanks just don't want to break it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: sorry for my english... :D
    French version avalaible here : http://www.monsmartphone.net/gonfler-son-htc-hd7-a-32-go-t1036.html

If you think your HTC HD7 is too short with his 8 GB memory, here is a detailed tutorial on how to give it a little boost to 32 GB ! Here is, step by step, how to do it. You can clic on photos to get them in high res...

WARNING : this tutorial needs you to open your smartphone completely, and may unvalidate your warranty. If you upgrade your HD7, you do it at your own risk !!

Read this tutorial entirely before begining anything.

!!! This memory change will completely erase the content of your phone. Backup it before !!

You will need the following tools :
    - A HTC HD7 (yeah, easy...)
    - A Sandisk MicroSD 32 GB Card : Warning !! Ony some references are compatible. Check the compatibility list at the end of this tutorial.
    - A Torx screwdriver - Size : 0.4
    - A little plastic card, like a fidelity card (little size)
    - Tweezers
    - A piece of paper

Remove the battery cover, the battery itself, and you SIM card :

Now, you need to remove the bottom cover. To do this, insert the plastic card inside, and pull upside gently. It will be a little hard, just do it quietly until it "clics". Do the same on the other side, and finish removing the cover :

Take the screwdriver. At minimum, you will need to remove the 3 screws marked by red arrows. Personaly, I remove the 3 screws marked by the green arrows too for more confort. One of the screws is hidden by a VOID sticker (which unvalidates the warranty if you remove it). Either you don't remove this sticker, the other black screws will scratched by the screwdriver, and you will lose warranty in all cases.

Now, pull the plastic framework upside with your finger, to get access to the MicroSD card reader :

The MicroSD card is protected by a "metallic" sticker. Unstick it, and tear it below the plastic framework. You cannot remove it completely :

If you don't want to be annoyed by this sticker, place your piece of paper on it. Now push the memory card in his reader with the tweezers : you will here a clic. Release, the card will be ejected :

Take the MicroSD card with the tweezers, and remove it :

There you are. Now insert your brand new memory card, and reassemble your phone following the previous steps.

Once your phone is reassembled, put your SIM card, the battery, and close the cover.
    To turn it on, push the two volume buttons, and keep them pushed while pressing the Power button :

Keep the volume buttons pressed until you see this message :

Press the Down Volume button to confirm the Hard reset :

Press again the Down Volume button to restart the phone. Follow the Windows Phone configuration wizard, then reboot your phone again (just a simple reboot).
    And "voilà" ! A HTC HD7 with full memory !!! :D

Updated on 28th April 2011 :
    Compatible 32GB card :
    - Sandisk SDSDQ-032G-J35 (Class 4 - Asian market)
    - Sandisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 (Class 2 or Class 4)

Avoid these references :
    - Sandisk SDSDQ-032G-E11M (Class 2 or 4)
    I putting money on, that this voids your warranty.

Just keep the 16gb card spare, put it back in if it needs to go back for warranty, simple.
    Hello,

Where did you purchase your sd card fom ?

Struggling to find a decent dealer in France for a Sandisk 32 Go =(

I bought mine from this dealer : http://shop.ebay.fr/labayatxi/m.html
    But it seems he does not have cards anymore. Maybe you should ask him if he can get new cards ? I bought it 50€, and it had been sent very quickly (I received it the day after my order).
    Of course it does void it...maybe I should add "steel balls" in the necessary tools list ? :D
    Wow...although I don't really feel like doing this, its amazing.

:eek::eek::eek: