[Q] Bluetooth Message Access Profile(MAP)

Search This thread

bigcrav

May 31, 2010
I am thinking about getting the One X but I do have a question first. I search the forums and read plenty of reviews to no avail. Does anyone know if the One X support the Bluetooth Message Access Profile(MAP). I would like the feature in my next phone to use with my Ford Sync system.

shirreer

Mar 5, 2006
Me too. Though my Sensation does it pretty well. Never hurts to be sure...

jlb

Aug 22, 2006
It apparently does support it. I was able to see text messages on my BMW 550's iDrive screen earlier. During pairing, I got a MAP Access request.

However there appears to be some kind of bug. When you go to Advanced Options in Bluetooth Settings, the only thing you see if FTP Server. However briefly other options flash and then disappear. Once earlier the options 'stuck' but if you'd check them they wouldn't save.

Hopefully the forthcoming OTA fixes this. I was really hoping this phone would show contact pictures in iDrive. The Sensation supports this. I suspect something in Bluetooth needs to be enabled that is not. (I borrowed a Lumia 900 with WP7 and it did this -- quite cool.)

Can anybody else test to see if the Advanced Options menu does the same thing?

Last edited:

pzboyz

Dec 14, 2005
When you got the MAP Access Request, did you select the 'always allow' option too? If not go back through the pairing process again to fix this.

jlb

Aug 22, 2006
Still doesn't work, unfortunately. The options appear quickly and then disappear.

I cannot get Contact Pictures to work, nor E-mail. Text messages seem sporadic.

raskell

Mar 21, 2007
Massillon Ohio
IT WORKS!

I just got the One X yesterday and it works perfectly for me with Ford SYNC and for the BMW iDrive in my wife's X5d. You are correct though, there does not seem to be any literature or documentation stating this as part of the phone's capability. My selling agent was willing to send me the One X to try out over the weekend. To my surprise and contentment, I finally have an Android phone working with AT&T and all of my BT capabilities. No compromises.

Last edited:

bigcrav

May 31, 2010
Any tips on getting it working? I enable "Message Access" in the Bluetooth advance setting. My Sync system won't Download unread messages and it won't let me send text message from the car. The phone hasn't pop up with a allow MAP access request dialog either. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I am also using the ATT One X. Not sure if thats the problem or not.

Zathu

Apr 16, 2011
I just got the One X yesterday and it works perfectly for me with Ford SYNC and for the BMW iDrive in my wife's X5d. You are correct though, there does not seem to be any literature or documentation stating this as part of the phone's capability. My selling agent was willing to send me the One X to try out over the weekend. To my surprise and contentment, I finally have an Android phone working with AT&T and all of my BT capabilities. No compromises.

Sir, does your SYNC system show the sender of the SMS properly? Mine's showing my number as the sender of every SMS in a 2013 Mustang with 1st gen SYNC w/NAV.

Any tips on getting it working? I enable "Message Access" in the Bluetooth advance setting. My Sync system won't Download unread messages and it won't let me send text message from the car. The phone hasn't pop up with a allow MAP access request dialog either. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I am also using the ATT One X. Not sure if thats the problem or not.

Did you go into advanced settings on SYNC and enable the MAP profile? I had to do this in a 2013 Mustang with 1st gen SYNC w/NAV.

francoisvanderV

Oct 25, 2012
RE : Bluetooth MAP BMW

I currently drive the BMW X3 F25 with advanced bluetooth connectivity , and although sms and phonebook works fine the email function in the office menu just states"No messages with the current filter." Before buying my HTC one X I checked the bmw compatibility site and saw that the HTC sensation supports this function with no problems at all, however after they updated their site to show the One x it does show no email support for one x but support with the sensation. What is really bugging me is what makes the sensation so special to allow the email support that the One x cant offer?

Is there any custom roms out there that might give me that support?

Are you on a specific custom rom allowing you ALL of your BT capabilities in your wife's car (inc Email) ?

Kind regards

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm hoping to get some help here. I have been having trouble getting the MAP settings for my One X to stick to connect to my Toyota Entune. I will set up the advance settings in bluetooth, but it will not save. Entune is set up to go. I just can't get the settings to say on the phone. Anyone had this issue and was able to fix it?

JCG3

Feb 5, 2011
I am a sensation user and before I rooted my phone most of the features worked. I have been looking high and low for more info in this so I will give you what I have.

4.4 (KitKat) has native support for MAP (Message Access Protocol) which is part of the Bluetooth stack. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#Message_Access_Profile_.28MAP.29)

Most Makers of the phones (HTC) have to set the profiles accordingly. The sensation had it for the HTC email app that was part of stock because it was built with that MAP profile setting from HTC. My car could not send a text message but it could receive them. After loading KitKat on my Sensation I can now send the messages but I think Google hangouts is messing with the receiving side of it. I am still trying to wrap my head around this but there you go...

Good luck!