AURORA mods/addons+Connect to ad-hoc hotspots guide+decompile/compile/edit apks guide

Which mod are you using??

• WAKEUP-WITH-VOLUME-KEYS

Votes: 99 52.7%
  • ICS Dictionary

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • T9 Dialer

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • - baterry percentage V2

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • - center clock + battery percentage V2

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • - battery bar percentage

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • - center clock + battery bar percentage

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • - vertical battery percentage

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • - vertical battery percentage + center clock

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • - horizontal battery percentage

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • - horizontal battery percentage + center clock

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • - dotted circle battery percentage

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • - dotted circle battery percentage + center clock

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • - full circle battery percentage

Votes: 16 8.5%
  • - full circle battery percentage + center clock

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • - honeycomb battery

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • - honeycomb battery + center clock

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • - lockscreen animation

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • - lockscreen rotation

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • - lockscreen animation + lockscreen rotation

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • vold.fstab - CHANGE THE DEFAULT SDCARD mod

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • CHANGE THE GPS SERVER - gps.conf mod

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • BOOT ANIMATION mod

Votes: 46 24.5%
  • CONNECT TO AD-HOC HOTSPOTS mod

Votes: 16 8.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

RBwai

Sep 23, 2011

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-18-20-43-39.png
    Screenshot_2012-04-18-20-43-39.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 242

spirosbond

Liquid blue battery mod added at the first post. I found it quite cool. No percentage version though. The black borders of the icons are invisible due to the black status bar but that I think makes it better!
If someone can change these battery icons to ICS color I will make a mod for them. Now They are green and will look ugly with blue colored ICS...
Finally if someone finds a nice battery mod or any cool battery icons please post/link them here to make new mods for Aurora.
Cheers

Last edited:

RBwai

Sep 23, 2011
Finally if someone finds a nice battery mod or any cool battery icons please post/link them here to make new mods for Aurora.
Cheers
I have a battery mod for 2.08, which I made for myself (change colour from green to blue and resize it a bit - it is made with kitchen) and can share with others. Spirosbond - you can upload it in the firs post with all other battery mods.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-18-20-43-39.png
    Screenshot_2012-04-18-20-43-39.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2.08_horizontal_blue_precentage.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: spirosbond

spirosbond

I have a battery mod for 2.08, which I made for myself (change colour from green to blue and resize it a bit - it is made with kitchen) and can share with others. Spirosbond - you can upload it in the firs post with all other battery mods.

Thanks for the mod but as long as it is made with UOT I don't think it is mandatory to put it to the 1st post. You can share your work here though. But yes, with UOT you can make some pretty mods.

Cheers!

RBwai

Sep 23, 2011
It would be very nice if someone prepare transparent/semitransparent status bar for latest Aurora and share it with us. Also volume wake key sholud be upgraded to v2.09.

spirosbond

It would be very nice if someone prepare transparent/semitransparent status bar for latest Aurora and share it with us. Also volume wake key sholud be upgraded to v2.09.

There are instructions on how to make semitrasparent status bar on the 1st page (posts 3,2). You need to modify the SystemUI.apk, so grab the mod you want (or stock SystemUI.apk), mod it and flash it. It's easy and worth trying ;)
Since 2.07 there are no changes to android.policy.jar, framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk files, so all mods (including wake-up-with-volume-keys) work ok. I tested them. Flash the attached 2.07 version and you should be ok!

Cheers

Reactions: RBwai

RBwai

Sep 23, 2011
There are instructions on how to make semitrasparent status bar on the 1st page (posts 3,2). You need to modify the SystemUI.apk, so grab the mod you want (or stock SystemUI.apk), mod it and flash it. It's easy and worth trying ;)
Since 2.07 there are no changes to android.policy.jar, framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk files, so all mods (including wake-up-with-volume-keys) work ok. I tested them. Flash the attached 2.07 version and you should be ok!

Yes, I try to recompile SystemUI.apk, but without success. There must be a mistake, that I made, so if someone could upload that moded file, I would be very pleased.
And thanks for "wake volume key" info!

spirosbond

New mod guide on 3rd post:

SystemUI.apk - bools.xml

The most useful thing is that it brings back the H (HSPA) icon on signal. I might include this mod in all my future SystemUI.apk releases if dzo doesn't implement it.

Cheers

EDIT: I found out what config_statusBarShowNumber does. Enable it and you will have something like this ;):

1kVjosBp5WkC6t5DoTL04G

Last edited:
Reactions: Filatov.p

Mark98

Mar 19, 2012
Hi all,

Question re: weird behaviour on APK files I've edited according to http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23923507&postcount=2

I use a couple of apps regularly and have tried modifying them to make the UI suit me a bit better. For what it's worth, one's a Twitter app and one's a keyboard.

I've used apktool to decompile them, edited certain res .xml files to change the interface and then compiled them again with apktool. I've then signed them using Sigare (obviously it's not signed using the original developers key, but a key that I've made)

I've then replaced the apk in data\app with my modified one.

The problem is that, while the new app works for a little white, after a while it just disappears from my app list. When I go to run it directly, I get a message that the app won't load.

TL;DR: apps I've modified work to start with and then don't. Anyone think of a reason?

spirosbond

Hi all,

Question re: weird behaviour on APK files I've edited according to http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23923507&postcount=2

I use a couple of apps regularly and have tried modifying them to make the UI suit me a bit better. For what it's worth, one's a Twitter app and one's a keyboard.

I've used apktool to decompile them, edited certain res .xml files to change the interface and then compiled them again with apktool. I've then signed them using Sigare (obviously it's not signed using the original developers key, but a key that I've made)

I've then replaced the apk in data\app with my modified one.

The problem is that, while the new app works for a little white, after a while it just disappears from my app list. When I go to run it directly, I get a message that the app won't load.

TL;DR: apps I've modified work to start with and then don't. Anyone think of a reason?

Maybe this is a "sign" issue. Try downloading the apkManager 4.3.1 from the 1st page and take from the others/ folder the files signapk.jar, testkey.x509.pem and testkey.pk8. These are responsible for signing the apk and are which I am using. Put them at your work dir and try this command (May vary on Windows, not sure):

Code:
java -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 [I]yourunsignedapkhere[/I] [I]theoutputfilehere[/I]

Hope you luck!
Cheers

Reactions: Mark98

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *THESE MODS ARE FOR AURORA! USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK ! SEARCH THIS THREAD FOR BAD REPORTS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ! SAY THANKS IF EVERYTHING GOES OK !*

*REMEMBER TO REBOOT YOUR PHONE IF YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES AT YOUR /SYSTEM/ FOLDER WITH A ROOT EXPLORER, IN ORDER FOR THE CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT
    REMEMBER ALSO TO SET THE SAME PERMISSIONS AS THE OTHER FILES OF THE FOLDER YOU EDITED
    IT IS SUGGESTED TO WIPE CACHE & DALVIK CACHE BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING
    CWM 5.5.0.4 IS RECOMMENDED FOR FLASHING THESE MODS

YOU MAY ALSO SEE THIS VERY USEFUL THREAD

ALL MODS UPDATED TO 5.0 (and compatible with any of the small updates, since they don't interfere with SystemUI, framework or android.policy.jar)

WAKEUP-WITH-VOLUME-KEYS:

UPDATE: Do you want this mod for your official 2.3.5?? See here

Hi there. I've modified a file of the dzo's aurora release in order to enable the "wakeup with volume keys" feature, when the phone is locked. I've been using it since the 1.6 dzo's release without having any problems and it has been tested also by other users without a problem yet. As many of us are having trouble with the nearly dead power button I think it may be useful. I have to pinpoint that this modification is NOT AN OPTION. IT IS PERMANENT. The only way to disable it is to reflash a regular (dzo's) aurora release, older, the same or newer, it doesn't matter or to flash the attached "stock_android.policy_(xxx)_flashable.zip" file.

So... the file that needs replacement is the /system/framework/android.policy.jar. As long as dzo doesn't make any changes to that file you can replace it without any problem at any aurora release. If any change is made I will update a new patch.

I suggest the following procedure to apply it:

1) Download the Aurora release you want.

2) Open the aurora_xx.zip file you've downloaded.

3) Navigate to /system/framework/ folder

3) Drag and drop inside that folder the "android.policy.jar" from the flashable zip attached. Replace if asked.

4) Flash the new .zip as usual.

Alternatively, you can try coping the android.policy.jar file with a root explorer to the same folder from your phone. Users have confirmed that this method works ok. I suggest the flashing method described above though.

EDIT: Flashable version added at the attachments. Flash it through clockworkmod normally. Thanks to sks976.

TABLET MODE

See this post and search this thread for reports.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25452526&postcount=286

What is tablet mode? See this

FONT CHANGER - thank to leventccc and his thread here

Change the fonts of your phone. WARNING! COMPATIBLE WITH ANDROID 4.xx ONLY!
    Flash the .zip through clockwork mod and follow the instructions. Navigate with volume buttons and select with power buttons.
    It includes:
    - Android Logo
    - Gingerbread Stock
    - MeeGo
    - Nokia Pure View Font
    - Roboto(Stock)
    - Ubuntu
    - Windows Phone 7
    - Sony Xperia S

You can download the .zip from the original thread or you can get an updated version made by me (I only updated the Ubuntu fonts :) ) from here:

http://ubuntuone.com/3CfA4Hu4BKTjcCmPhxYzaa

4kQPKNEiw6MuNDAopECizT

ADDING SYSTEM APPLICATIONS:

Some other changes you can do is to add the applications you want at the /system/app/ folder. After flashing or copying, these application would be "system applications" and the only way to remove them is to delete their xxxxx.apk file from the /system/app/ folder of your phone. You can do that easily with a file explorer with root permissions (ex. Root Explorer). So these applications better be worth it. I do that for Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher. IF YOU COPY THEM MANUALLY REMEMBER TO SET THE CORRECT PERMISSIONS (rw-r--r--) AND REBOOT!

SGS3 Apps - thanks to sr21

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1682697

ICS Dictionary:

In the following link you will fild a post with a .zip attached. Inside the .zip is a version of LatinIME.apk with added these dictionaries:

English
    French
    German
    Italian
    Spanish
    Greek

Enable it from "language & Input" settings and set the desired language! Thanks to halman for digging it for us.
    THE FILE IS NOT A FLASHABLE .zip. I WON'T MAKE IT BECAUSE THE APK IS ABOUT 10MB SO COPYING IN MANUAL AS DESCRIBED ABOVE WILL ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE AMOUNT OF FREE SPACE NEEDED!

file here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23949474&postcount=103

T9 Dialer:

thanks to boss_y and fsnelis for digging it up for us...

see here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1503581

Stock MMS APK with 160 characters sms capacity! - thanks to theos0o and mrasquinho - IMPLEMENTED ON AURORA 4.0 AND LATER

HUGEHUGEHUGEHUGE patch. See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1591989

You don't like the above?? You want our stock Aurora Mms.apk with correct translations?? See this - thanks to mrasquinho

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25577189&postcount=309

CM9 DSP Manager - thanks to eng.stk

see here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1636056

REMOVING SYSTEM APPLICATIONS:

You can also remove applications that you don't want from any rom, simply by deleting their xxxx.apk file from the /system/app/ folder of the rom's flashable .zip or from inside the phone (after flashing) with a root file manager. Just be careful with which you remove, because it may be important for the system to work properly. Here is a list of POSSIBLE unwanted applications. I haven't tested all of them, but there are reports that removing them won't harm anything. It's up to you.

OpenWnn.apk (Japanase IME) - safe to remove if you want
    PinyinIME.apk (Chinese IME) - safe to remove if you want
    BackupRestoreConfirmation.apk (Google's backup and restore - see settings->Backup & reset)
    SharedStorageBackup.apk
    WAPPushManager.apk (process incoming WAP Push messages, supported by your provider) - safe to remove if you want
    PermissionToAccessLocApi.apk
    PrivInit.apk
    com.android.inputmethod.pinyin.apk
    ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk (sync's your bookmarks from pc chrome if installed) - safe to remove if you want
    Email.apk - If you use only Gmail)
    Exchange.apk - If you use only Gmail)

Feedback on more apks and descriptions much appreciated!!

Thanks to eng.stk, wangjun1984

UI MODS:

SystemUI.apk:

SystemUI.apk is a system apk that controls the look/behaviour of your status bar. Here are some modified SystemUI.apk. Install them as described above (ADDING SYSTEM APPLICATIONS) or flash if .zip is a flashable file. BACKUP THE ORIGINAL SystemUI.APK AND REMEMBER TO SET THE RIGHT PERMISSIONS

return-to-stock-SystemUI.apk - flashable .zip

stock-SystemUI.apk + center clock - flashable .zip

- baterry percentage V2 (higher quality, ICS coloured) - flashable .zip

- center clock + battery percentage V2 - flashable .zip

6aWREbpiWUVO9xmVxhRhRp

- battery bar percentage - flashable .zip

- center clock + battery bar percentage - flashable .zip

433Rtz8rXKk5AX0bSAndec

- vertical battery percentage - flashable .zip

- vertical battery percentage + center clock -flashable .zip

Axiom_Stock_Vertical.png

- horizontal battery percentage - flashable .zip

- horizontal battery percentage + center clock - flashable .zip

GingerBlu.png

- dotted circle battery percentage - flashable .zip

- dotted circle battery percentage + center clock - flashable .zip

Axiom_Dotted_Circle.png

- full circle battery percentage - flashable .zip

- full circle battery percentage + center clock - flashable .zip

FullCircle_Pendo.png

- honeycomb battery - flashable .zip

- honeycomb battery + center clock - flashable .zip

2dmMBzhahQmORiWbkEMDLc

- honeycomb battery V2 (only ICS colours and transparent background) - flashable .zip

- honeycomb battery V2 + center clock - flashable .zip

2DKjJllo3WgDjhihdNYSKY

- liquid blue - flashable .zip

- liquid blue + center clock - flashable .zip

7OMBaXIbA1xJ5asZ476PDT

- more to come...

framework.apk

/system/framework/framework.apk is an .apk that configures the UI of your phone (transitions,look,icons e.t.c). Here are some mods:

return-to-stock-framework - flashable .zip

- lockscreen animation (only when screen turns off) - see howto on 3rd post - flashable.zip - thanks to fjsferreira - IMPLEMENTED BY DZO AT 4.1 AND LATER...

- Turn lockscreen animation off - flashable .zip

like this video

- lockscreen rotation - see howto on 3rd post - flashable .zip

- lockscreen animation + lockscreen rotation - see howto on 3rd post - flashable .zip

- ICS screen buttons - see howto on 3rd post - flashable .zip
    whats_new_nav_bar.png

- Turn lockscreen animation off + ICS screen buttons - flashable .zip

- Jellybean Animations - thanks to fjsferreira

see this post
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36596794&postcount=8326

- more to come...

If you want a combination of the above see post #3 for guides...

framework.apk + SystemUI.apk

stock framework.apk + SystemUI.apk - flashable .zip

vold.fstab - CHANGE THE DEFAULT SDCARD: -thanks to julle131

There is this file named vold.fstab at your /system/etc/ folder, which controls which of your sdcards (Internal/External) will be mounted when you connect your phone to the PC. The last 2 lines are the only that matter. These are the two possibilities:

EXTERNAL SDCARD MOUNTED (DEFAULT):

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host
    dev_mount emmc /mnt/sdcard1 14 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host

INTERNAL SDCARD MOUNTED:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 14 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host
    dev_mount emmc /mnt/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host

change them as you wish with a root explorer or before flashing.

Record Videos in .mp4 file format

I edited the /system/etc/media_profiles.xml in order to record all videos in .mp4 file format. Download it and replace the stock one on your phone with it. Remember to set the same permissions and reboot.

mp4_media_profiles.xml

Speedup wifi speeds - thanks to sbasil for the patch

Some reported that this works some didn't. Just try it if you have wifi speed problems. You can find the patch here
    It replaces the /system/etc/firmware/wlan/qcom_cfg.ini file. The only difference from the original is at this line:

gDynamicPSPollvalue=5

that is commented out like this:

#gDynamicPSPollvalue=5

so you can do this change manually.

Ad-Blocking hosts

There is a file inside /system/etc/ folder named "hosts" which is responsible for blocking incoming links from the web. This can be used to filter out annoying ads from inside an app or at the browser. Flash normally without wipes. It's permissions must be rw-r--r--

download

If you want the default flash this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL GUIDES

GPS FIXES

CHANGE THE GPS SERVER - gps.conf:

There is a file at your system/etc/ folder named gps.conf. This file has information for your GPS in order to work properly. If you open this file the first lines look like this:

#Test
    #NTP_SERVER=time.gpsonextra.net
    #Asia
    NTP_SERVER=asia.pool.ntp.org
    #Europe
    # NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
    #North America
    # NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org

These are the servers your gps is communicating with. By default a server at asia is chosen (everything after a '#' symbol is a comment and isn't "executed"). So if you are in europe you should change the default server to be the european one for better behaviour of the gps. I always do this change and my gps works good and locks really fast. So this is how you should change these lines for the european server (you can use any root explorer to open the file as text):

#Test
    #Asia
    #NTP_SERVER=asia.pool.ntp.org
    #Europe
    NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
    #North America
    # NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org

and for the american:

#Test
    #Asia
    #NTP_SERVER=asia.pool.ntp.org
    #Europe
    # NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
    #North America
    NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org

CHANGE THE GPS INTERMEDIATE_POS - gps.conf: ON 2.03test DZO MADE THIS CHANGE - THANKS

Do this only if you have problems with gps.
    Inside the /system/etc/gps.conf file you will find a line

INTERMEDIATE_POS=1

change it to

INTERMEDIATE_POS=0

save and exit. Report if it works for you...

ADD YOUR BOOT ANIMATION:

It is very simple to add your own boot animation. Just copy/replace the desired bootanimation.zip file to /data/local/ with a root explorer. Set the permissions to rwxrwxr-x and reboot.... Done! This will not delete your stock bootanimation, it just replaces it. To revert delete or rename the file you pasted...
    To find boot animations search google for "ICS Bootanimations" or "Android Bootanimations" and you will find many of them. If the file you find is a flashable .zip DON'T FLASH unless it's compatible for U8800. If it is for another phone (for ex Nexus), just extract the bootanimation.zip file from it and do the procedure described above! Make sure that the file you paste is named exactly "bootanimation.zip", else it won't work.

Here is a boot animation developing thread for dzo's aurora releases. Credits to kostasvr :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22843604

CONNECT TO AD-HOC HOTSPOTS GUIDE - FOR ANY ANDROID VERSION:

I finally figured out how to connect to ad-hoc hotspots (hotspots from your pc) since android has disabled this, by filtering out the ad-hoc networks from the list. The best way to do this is to recompile the wpa_cli file removing this filtering but since I have no idea how to do that I found another way to bypass it. The idea is to manually create the profile of your wifi inside your phone and let it connect automatically! In order to do that you need a root file manager to edit the file : /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf.
    Lets say the ad-hoc wifi you have created is called MyWiFi and it has no password. Here is the guide:

0) Disable your wifi
    1) Goto /data/misc/wifi/ and open wpa_supplicant.conf as text
    2) Add this entry somewhere:

network={
    ssid="MyWiFi"
    mode=1
    frequency=2412
    key_mgmt=NONE
    priority=50
    }

set priority as you wish. Wifi connects automatically to the lowest available profile

3) enable your wifi and let it connect automatically!!!!

If you need encryption to your wifi (WARNING: only plaintext and static WEP) you have 2 ways:

1) Add at your wifi sharing options on your PC, MAC address filtering and enter the MAC address of your mobile. This way only your mobile would be able to connect to your wifi and no changes are needed at your phone.
    OR 2) Set a WEP encryption code from your computer and add these lines inside the {...} of the above code:

proto=WPA
    key_mgmt=WPA-NONE
    pairwise=NONE
    group=TKIP
    psk="secret passphrase"

I haven't tested it but it should work. Report if it does or not!

This entry wont be deleted until you do a FULL WIPE or delete it manually...

This is not only for Aurora, it is for any AOSP android which has ad-hoc filtering. But since MIUI and CM have this disabled I post it here and added it at the name of the thread.

BEWARE. WHEN THE PHONE IS CONNECTED TO AN AD-HOC NETWORK (MAYBE ALSO WHILE WIFI IS ON AND AT STANDBY) IT WON'T ENTER TO "DEEP-SLEEP" STATE NORMALLY, CAUSING GREATER BATTERY LOSS. I don't know why this is happening but it is a known problem!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will support this thread with any other fixes-updates-tips-mods I find.

Thank you very much and CREDITS TO DZO FOR HIS WORK!

Enjoy!
    Cheers
    AURORA ICS- "wake with volume keys" + mods/addons + Connect to ad-hoc hotspots guide

As promised, this is a complete guide on how to edit apk files. It is not only for AURORA. It is a general guide!

TOOLS YOU NEED
    - apktool (It can handle .jar files too)
    OR
    - apkManager: Uses apktool to decompile and compile apks but offers easier UI and other options, such as signing apk. Rcommended!

You can find any of the above tools for your platform (linux, Windows, MacOs) at google or at xda threads.I won't put any links here because there are many editions. Find what works for you best. Attached you can find the version of apkManager I use (only linux compatible, and with some fixes).

UPDATE! New version (4.3.1) added that supports decompiling framework-res.apk! Enjoy!

MOD APKS

To edit any apk you need to decompile it. This process will create some folders which include the .xml files, the icons and the .smali files of the apk. The .smali code is a pain in the ass to understand but it is the only "safe" way to decompile and recompile an apk without destroying it. To edit an apk you have to do the following:

STEP 1: You need the framework-res.apk of the rom you are editing, because it contains necessary information for the apktool to decompile or compile. Copy the framework-res.apk of the rom and paste it at the same folder with apktool (if you are using apkManager, apktool is inside its "other" folder; copy it there)

STEP 2: Open a terminal/command line and navigate at the directory of the apktool

STEP 3: type this command

Code:
    ./apktool if framework-res.apk

This will install the framework-res.apk to your system. In linux it installs it at ~/apktool/ . I don't know for windows :) .

STEP 3: Decompile an apk. Lets say you want to decompile the SystemUI.apk.

If you use apkManager copy SystemUI.apk (or any apk you want to decompile/compile) at the "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder and run the Script.sh and you will easily find how to decompile, compile and sign the apk.

If you are using apktool copy SystemUI.apk (or any apk you want to decompile/compile) at the same place with apktool and execute this at terminal

Code:
    ./apktool d SystemUI.apk

and you will find at the same directory a folder with the name of the apk you decompiled and all of its files inside.

STEP 4: Edit anything you want to edit!

STEP 5: Recompile...

With apkManager follow the on screen instructions of the Script.sh and also sign the apk. You will find the apk ready at the "place-apk-here-for-modding" with the the name "repackaged-signed.apk". Rename it as the original and you are ready to rock.

With apktool execute this command:

Code:
    ./apktool b SystemUI/

SystemUI is the folder of the decompiled apk. It could be any other apk name instead. After that you will find a folder named "dist" inside the SystemUI folder and inside of it a an .apk file which is the new .apk with your changes. In order to sign your apk you need some extra tools. You can search the web on how to sign an apk. I don't know what are the consequences of using an unsigned apk. Probably it would work ok but I haven't tried it.

STEP 6: You are ready to put the new apk at your phone. Remember if you are replacing a system apk to set the correct permissions after pasting.

Cheers
    AURORA ICS- "wake with volume keys" + mods/addons + Connect to ad-hoc hotspots guide

How to Change Battery in ICS ROM - thanks to fergie716 and his guide here

After you got apktool all set up with ICS resources installed get the SystemUI.apk from your ICS ROM, decompile it.

Make sure you have installed framework-res.apk in apktool prior to decompiling ICS apks

Navigate to your decompiled SystemUI folder, go to /res/drawable-hdpi/

This is where the battery png's are in ICS. Copy/paste your battery png's. To make it more easy, make sure your png's follow the pattern (stat_sys_battery_1.png, etc)

If you plan on changing the png's for charging animation make sure you have the correct png's named stat_sys_battery_charge_anim0.png etc

(optional) Delete leftover battery png's, if any, from stock ICS

Once all your png's are in place, you need to modify the corresponding xml's

Those are found in SystemUI/res/drawable/stat_sys_battery.xml and stat_sys_battery_charge.xml

The first is responisble for the look of the battery while discharging and the second while charging. The form of them is like: When battery=20% show stat_sys_battery_20.png (random example). if you have percentage icons with all the values (0-100) you need to have a stat_sys_battery.xml like the attached named "stat_sys_battery_allpercentage.xml.zip".

For the charging images you can keep the stock stat_sys_battery_charge.xml or you can create a new based on the stock in order to show all percentages (if icons are provided). Attached you will find a charging animation .xml named "stat_sys_battery_charge_allpercentage_anim.xml.zip" which needs charging icons for all percentages in order to work properly.

If you have made mistakes at one of the .xml files the build will probalby fail or you will lose the battery icon. Your phone will work ok though and a flash of the stock SystemUI.apk will fix everything. You can decompile and use .xml files from other SystemUI.apk as long as the filenames match.

Now that you have your png's and xml's in place, go back and recompile.

How to Enable Lockscreen Rotation (ICS) - thanks to fergie716 and his guide here

-decompile framework-res.apk using apktool
    -navigate to decompiled folder, go to /res/values/bools.xml
    -change "config_enableLockScreenRotation" to "true"
    -recompile framework-res.apk

HOW TO CENTER CLOCK - thanks to fergie716 and his guide here

-decompile your SystemUI.apk
    -navigate to your decompiled folder and go to res>layout>status_bar.xml
    -look for this line:

Code:

-press "enter" to create an empty line
    -place your cursor at the beginning of that empty line and paste this line of code:

Code:

-make sure everything lines up (see the attached xml below)
    -lastly, find this line:

Code:
    name="notification_header_bg">

#00000000 would be fully transparent, #ff000000 is fully opaque.

[SIZE="5"][B]Lockscreen animation - thanks to fjsferreira for the guide[/B][/SIZE]

decompile framework-res.apk
    go to res/values/bool.xml
    change line

[CODE]true
    to
    Code:
    false

Disable Unlock-with-menu-key - implemented by dzo on 2.05 and later

You may have noticed that if you are at lockscreen and press the menu key the phone unlocks. If you want to disable this do the following:

change line

Code:
    false
    to
    Code:
    true

Enable ICS screen buttons
    whats_new_nav_bar.png

change line

Code:
        false
    to
    Code:
        true

SystemUI.apk - bools.xml

After decompiling the SystemUI.apk you will find the bools.xml file inside res/values/ and it's stock form is this (I added descriptions, true:eek:N, false:eek:FF):

Code:
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"][/COLOR]
        false

[COLOR="YellowGreen"] [/COLOR]
        false

false

false

false

false

Change them in your desire and report if you find something.

ENABLE VOLUME WAKE:

1) decompile android.policy.jar

I use apktool 1.4.3 for linux.

with the command:

apktool d [dir-of-the-.jar]

2) go to the apktool folder where the decompiled version is.

3) find the KeyguardViewMediator.smali source

4) change this:

.method private isWakeKeyWhenKeyguardShowing(IZ)Z

:sswitch_data_8
    .sparse-switch
    #0x18 remove
    #0x19 remove
    0x1b -> :sswitch_5

5) save and compile again with the command:

apktool b -f [dir-of-the-decompiled]

- ...more to come

Cheers
    So all you have to do is replace services.jar in system/framework/ and change permissions, also set the DPI to 128. But i must warn you that the phone isn't working at such low DPI, it will crash if you want to make a call. I'm trying to make it work but it's just not cooperating.. everything else should work. Nova launcher works great with tablet mod. To go back to normal phone just change DPI back to 240. If you need any help just ask :)
    New Mms.apk (160 characters sms capacity) compatible with latest Aurora 3.0_beta. (I've done it all again, but based on Mms.apk from new release)

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ng56w2nfy2yeys5

Install instructions:

push it via adb to /system/app
    or

Use a file manager to copy file to /system/app.
    Set apk file permissions to 644.
    Set apk file ownership both to root.