[Q] Bell apps show up on my Rogers phone

Search This thread

rezadue

Jun 14, 2011
Ottawa
Hi,

I bought an S4 which was previously rooted. Last owner unrooted it and used triangle away to make sure all was as stock looking as possible.

Last week I did a factory reset on the phone as I was having issues with it. After the reset it shows all the stock apps and standard Rogers bloatware. BUT it now has a couple of Bell Bloatware apps as well!!!

I need to send the phone in for repair as I am getting "intermittent SIM card not detected, phone is restarting error". Should I be worried that Samsung will detect that the phone was at one time rooted?

What should I do?

Thanks

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
Hi,

I bought an S4 which was previously rooted. Last owner unrooted it and used triangle away to make sure all was as stock looking as possible.

Last week I did a factory reset on the phone as I was having issues with it. After the reset it shows all the stock apps and standard Rogers bloatware. BUT it now has a couple of Bell Bloatware apps as well!!!

I need to send the phone in for repair as I am getting "intermittent SIM card not detected, phone is restarting error". Should I be worried that Samsung will detect that the phone was at one time rooted?

What should I do?

Thanks

When the last owner unrooted the phone, they likely used one of the odin files from here which are all Bell based for I337M (Canadian S4). There is a thread in here where this happened to another user and they returned the phone to stock Rogers instead of Bell, you will need to search for that thread. The bigger concern is Knox is probably tripped on the phone, when it boots up there will be some tiny text it the top left corner, yellow and red I believe, there is a thread about that here too.... If Knox is tripped (pretty sure it is) then all you can do is try to get it repaired by Samsung, I wouold be interested to find out if they do it or not.....

rezadue

Jun 14, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks for the reply.

I shut the phone down and then turned it back on, paying close attention to evenrything. There is no small text in any corner. What is odd id that the phone goes through its boot sequence, gets to the lockscreen, and then goes through the boot sequence again a second time.

And for clarification, I have all the Rogers bloat, but I have three Bell bloat apps too!

I will do a search again to see if I can find the threads you have mentioned.
When the last owner unrooted the phone, they likely used one of the odin files from here which are all Bell based for I337M (Canadian S4). There is a thread in here where this happened to another user and they returned the phone to stock Rogers instead of Bell, you will need to search for that thread. The bigger concern is Knox is probably tripped on the phone, when it boots up there will be some tiny text it the top left corner, yellow and red I believe, there is a thread about that here too.... If Knox is tripped (pretty sure it is) then all you can do is try to get it repaired by Samsung, I wouold be interested to find out if they do it or not.....

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Thanks for the reply.

I shut the phone down and then turned it back on, paying close attention to evenrything. There is no small text in any corner. What is odd id that the phone goes through its boot sequence, gets to the lockscreen, and then goes through the boot sequence again a second time.

And for clarification, I have all the Rogers bloat, but I have three Bell bloat apps too!

I will do a search again to see if I can find the threads you have mentioned.

You have to go into download mode to see the text.

Sent from Black<3's I337 running Foxhound ROM

rezadue

Jun 14, 2011
Ottawa
Put the phone in download mode and no small text.

Now that the phone is not rooted, can I put it in download mode, attach it to a PC and flash a stock Rogers 4.3 ROM via ODIN? Do I need root for this?

Last edited:

abalian

May 20, 2014
Almost same issue here on my N900W8. My phone is working fine and rooted, except I got the Rogers AND Bell apps too before rooting and flashing CWM (only way I knew of at the time to force boot following seandroid enforcing error). I data wiped, downloaded and flashed the labeled "Rogers" stock ROM from SamMobile, and first time I ever saw bloatware from two carriers on any phone.

I disabled the Bell apps thinking that was all, but instead of 4G, I get H+. LTE connects fine outdoors, but H+ seems slightly slower than the 4G I'm used to. Which makes me wonder if LTE speeds are impacted too, hope not. Anyway, it's a bother because I am rarely in an LTE zone.

Tomorrow, I will try unrooting with SuperSU (is this even important if I'm wiping & flashing?), data wiping with CWM, re-flashing same file from SamMobile and not flashing anything more, and trying emergency recovery with Kies. Anyone know if this will work or change anything in the end? Or is Kies 3 also affected by the Knox counter? CSC (OYA) is the same as the non-rooted up-to-date S4 in the house.

Thanks

OP, have you tried using someone else's SIM card? Just a thought.