Run Android on your PC or Laptop..for real.

Search This thread

apristel

Feb 25, 2009
Green Bay
www.arizzle.com
Want to run Android on your PC or Laptop?

This is pretty cool, did it this morning.

If you have troubles with getting your internet to work in it, what I did was put my EVO in USB tethering mode,plugged it into my PC..then booted the PC and it worked great.

1. Download Android from here..android-x86-1.6-r2.iso
2. Download UNetBootin

Now you have a few choices... either just burn the ISO to a cd (and boot your computer off it) or use unetbootin to make a usb thumb drive bootable with the ISO image on it.

29gob9d.png

Here are some better more detailed instructions.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrena1bNl18 -- cheesy video of it on my pc.

Last edited:

bubba1114

Jul 20, 2010
Omaha, Ne
ok so this looks bad a** but like is it a dual boot? or is it if you dont have the memory card you cant run it? im running ubuntu and think this would be pretty sweet if you have the UI of this but still have the functioning of ubuntu

apristel

Feb 25, 2009
Green Bay
www.arizzle.com
ok so this looks bad a** but like is it a dual boot? or is it if you dont have the memory card you cant run it? im running ubuntu and think this would be pretty sweet if you have the UI of this but still have the functioning of ubuntu

I just booted up off a thumb drive so it doesn't effect your current os... you could also burn the ISO on to a cd and bootup off the CD...

You don't actually install this on your hard drive or anything. You could, but it'd be kinda pointless.

incubus26jc

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2009
Illinois
mine gets stuck on detecting android x86. I even tried burning the disk and got stuck in the same place. I really want to try this.

hazeline

Mar 2, 2008
Singapore
You can boot from Virtual PC too

Hi, i have successfully booted from Windows Virtual PC software..

You need to :
1. Download Windows Virtual PC
2. Go Bios to enable CPU virtualization technology(newer pc would have this function)
3. install the Windows Virtual PC software
4. Create a virtual disk
5. Give it any name
6. Go to Settings for that Virtual Disk
7. Search for dvd drive and point it to the android iso
8. Boot up the Virtual Drive you have created
9. select the third option, debug, and follow the instruction there, you should type exit twice to boot into android
10. Wella you have reached android

10a. Make sure you got a ethernet connection on your pc
10b. Try either ethernet port 1 or 2 to get connected to the internet by editing in the android ethernet settings.
Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

nexus5894

Mar 9, 2010
This is sick!! Can anyone think of any possible way to install apk files???? Can I add Google Apps somehow??

I would assume that the OS uses the flash drive as a filesystem- so put the APKs on the flash drive, download a file manager from the web and install using the file manager.

Also I can't get this to work in VirtualBox, it says the ISO file is invalid.

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
I read about this months ago but never did give it a go. I can only imagine how awesome this would be to run on a computer that has a touchscreen monitor.

That said... once windows releases a few of their tablets and we have the option to boot into android.............. AWESOME!!!

CHERNAB0G

Jan 19, 2010
This is confusing...no matter how I try to start it, it always comes to a black screen with an underscore that blinks every couple of seconds

CHERNAB0G

Jan 19, 2010
This came out just in time.....not even 3 days ago I was looking at live android, which has been discontinued as it seems

gatesjr03

Jun 4, 2010
Mac OSX

I got a Macbook Pro and I wanted to try, so I used Parrells desktop and mounted the ISO as as a Windows 7 (unsure if that was right) but it seemed to work just fine

Check it out!
Android on OSX -

Captainkrtek

Retired Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle
Got it running on my Acer Aspire one, wifi works and I can connect to the internet! :D this is awesome!

boxygreg1982

Nov 22, 2006
Hull
i got it running in virtualbox. just set up a virtual system and use ubuntu linux as the virtual system to be created and use the defaults to create the system :D

vdub804

Sep 2, 2008
it runs great under vmware workstation 7. even internet works I just wished the real market was pre-installed. im pretty sure someone will get froyo into a iso now that this version is getting attention

system02

Jun 11, 2010
will the touchscreen be usable if you install android on a Tablet or UMPC?

I'm getting a Sony Vaio UX this week and that would be a realy cool android device!! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Want to run Android on your PC or Laptop?

This is pretty cool, did it this morning.

If you have troubles with getting your internet to work in it, what I did was put my EVO in USB tethering mode,plugged it into my PC..then booted the PC and it worked great.

1. Download Android from here..android-x86-1.6-r2.iso
    2. Download UNetBootin

Now you have a few choices... either just burn the ISO to a cd (and boot your computer off it) or use unetbootin to make a usb thumb drive bootable with the ISO image on it.

29gob9d.png

Here are some better more detailed instructions.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrena1bNl18 -- cheesy video of it on my pc.
    Is it somehow possible to get the original google market running?

Yes but there is not a lot of apps that work on android-x86 as they are written to arm and not x86 cpu's so at this point it is not useful.

It might be better when ICS comes with the intel support.
    Android x86 4.0 RC1 on lenovo S10 3t running perfect even with launchers, wi -fi perfect!!!