[APP] ICS Enhanced Ringer Control

Search This thread

slopppy

Dec 10, 2010
Perth
Hi all,

Does it bug anyone else that in Android 4.0 (ICS) the ability to unlink the Notification and Ringer volume has been removed? It annoys the heck out of me! At night time I want my notification volume muted, but my ringer volume turned up so I don't miss calls. It has bugged me so much since I switched to ICS that I decided to write an app to "work around" the issue.

UPDATE - ICS Enhanced Ringer Control is now live on the market - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brianhislop.icsringervolume

So, what does the app do? Well it basically ignores the system sound settings in regards to notification volume/vibration, and uses the settings specified within this app instead. It's a workaround, but it works well!

Usage instructions and changelog are in the 2nd post.

Cheers,

Slopppy.

Last edited:

slopppy

Dec 10, 2010
Perth
Brief usage instructions:

After installing the app, open it, choose the volume you want the ringer to be, whether you want it to vibrate or not, then finally check the bottom box to enable it. At this point, when you receive a phone call, it will ignore the system volume settings, and use these settings instead.

To turn it off, just launch the app again and uncheck the last checkbox. The regular notification volume settings will kick in as per normal.

It should run in the background, and should auto-start when you reboot.

Changelog:

V 1.2 (recommended version)
Released 02-Feb-2011
  • New feature: Notifications! Gives you the option to enable a notification icon displaying the status of ICS Enhanced Ringer Control. Also gives you quick access to the app!
  • Green icon = enabled;
  • Red icon = disabled!
  • Tweaked the way the service starts after a reboot, actually works the way I intended now!
  • Minor code cleanup, increased the efficiency of the app in a few minor areas.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.01
Released 30-JAN-2012
  • Bugfix - Volume was restoring after making an outgoing phonceall ... not anymore!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.0
Released 29-JAN-2012

• Initial version.

Last edited:

howetechnical

Aug 21, 2010
Austin
I'm game to beta test it, as I was thinking about writing an app to do the same thing. You've saved me hours of work, so let's get your app up to prime time :cool:

ajrogers111

Jul 24, 2010
I'm running hyper nonsense ICS v0.1 and I'm game if you're still looking...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

slopppy

Dec 10, 2010
Perth
Thanks!

Just installed it and I went 3 out of 7 and now maxing it out to 7 volume level. Now how does the app work if the volume is adjusted on the phone via volume rockers? Does your app override this level?

Yep, should work fine jimmy. Basically whenever the phone rings it saves the volume state, then overrides it with the settings you've specified, then restores them again afterwards.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA App

slopppy

Dec 10, 2010
Perth
Thanks guys ... I'll send you all a PM with usage and download instructions in a few minutes.

Cheers,

Slopppy.

Reactions: PMGRANDS

slopppy

Dec 10, 2010
Perth

thelegendarylegends

Dec 2, 2011
Perth
haha, nice to see a local on here :D

Nah, it's not meant for boosting, just for allowing different volumes/vibration setting for calls/other notifications! The volumes stay within the ROM limits.

Let me know if you're keen to test it though :cool:

Oh yeah im keen to test it thanks :D Do u know any volume boost app for base 3.24?

Australia has too much apple iphone fanboys aye, so overrated products

Sent from my HTC Legend using XDA App

Last edited:

slopppy

Dec 10, 2010
Perth

slopppy

Dec 10, 2010
Perth
Just a teeny tiny note, I've renamed the app from "ICS Enhanced Ringer Volume" to "ICS Enhanced Ringer Control". I won't change anything in the apk for now, maybe just the app label, but that won't have any affect on anything.

I think that describes the app a little better.

Bluejay913

Sep 2, 2010
KC
I would like to test this app and give feedback. Let me know if you need more testers.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using xda premium

janosik.kopac

Dec 11, 2007
Hi slopppy, you're absolutely right: this new "feature" makes me totally angry. If You still need beta testers, I am ready to help a bit.

I am on the last ICS Elegancia using a non-branded Sensation XE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Does it bug anyone else that in Android 4.0 (ICS) the ability to unlink the Notification and Ringer volume has been removed? It annoys the heck out of me! At night time I want my notification volume muted, but my ringer volume turned up so I don't miss calls. It has bugged me so much since I switched to ICS that I decided to write an app to "work around" the issue.

UPDATE - ICS Enhanced Ringer Control is now live on the market - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brianhislop.icsringervolume

So, what does the app do? Well it basically ignores the system sound settings in regards to notification volume/vibration, and uses the settings specified within this app instead. It's a workaround, but it works well!

Usage instructions and changelog are in the 2nd post.

Cheers,

Slopppy.
    I had it running for about a week or so, using Viperroms ICS.
    I noticed no life reduction or anything obvious.

Was very happy with the program, and it was the only one I found that
    properly separated the two sound levels.
    Thanks guys, have PM'd you a download link and usage instructions :)
    Thanks guys ... I'll send you all a PM with usage and download instructions in a few minutes.

Cheers,

Slopppy.

An alternate, free workaround:

• Use Gentle IncRinging (free) to configure a ringer volume that increases progressively, either to maximum or to the current volume setting. Very handy to most situations, as you can quickly silent the ringer on incoming calls by pressing any volume key.
    • Think on the Ringer/Notification volume as the volume for notifications only, or as the maximum volume the ringer will reach if configured that way in Gentle IncRinging.
    (Bonus) In addition, you can use Increasing Ring (free) for adding the increasing volume feature to the alarms as well. *Very* nice for wake up alarms.

Tested and working on ICS 4.0.4 on Samsung Galaxy S (ICS ROM by TeamNyx).