[Discussion] Official ICS OTA Thread (Now FI27)

Search This thread

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
So here it is folks - after about 30 different ICS leaks Sprint has officially released it for the Epic 4G Touch!

History of Official OTA Announcements:
7/11/12 approx. 11:00 am CDT: Source Released on Samsung's Site. OTA will be FF18 based on revision note.
The recommended thread for source discussion is here.
7/12/12 8:45 am - Sprint officially announced OTA on blog. Link is here.

8/22/12 9:53 am - Sprint officially announced update FH13 by OTA. Link is here. Available by Kies and OTA.

10/10/12 8:58 am - Sprint officially announce update FI27 by OTA. Link is here. Appears to be OTA only.

Link to FF18 Stock + Root ODIN One Click (from sfhub):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1721229
It has been confirmed that this package matches the OTA released on 7/12. Use this for rooting.

Link to official OTA (on Google servers):
http://android.clients.google.com/p...bbe3997e3067.SPH-D710_update_EL29_to_FF18.zip
Credit to devinrovell for posting the link!

Qbking77 has also put together a video on how to install it here.
(I linked both because I'm not sure everyone will be able to pick up the Youtube link.
A link to his thread to thank him is here.

Important Notes
Bugs will be in Post #2, including our confirmation that the emmc lockup is still vulnerable..
Post #3 will contain links to leaks, ROMs based on leaks and then those based on source.

Link to sfhub's EL29 ODIN One-Click (in case you want to go back to GB - kept by popular demand)

Last edited:

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Bug Reports for OTA

Will be monitoring and adding as I can here.

eMMC Bug Status: Unsafe at kernel level due to existence of offending option.
Analysis and initial verification here. (Posts #679 for analysis, #680 for verification.)

Users are recommended to continue using GB for factory resets/wipes or installing a known "safe" kernel such as the one in the first post to avoid potentially locking up your internal memory card.
Those that should experience this from doing a factory reset and/or wipe please PM me as I will be tracking any such issues.

Devs using this source should remove the option to render the kernel safe. (Please check sfhub's notes on how to make safe other format/wipe points such as update_binary.)
Edit: See first post as one is already out based on source; others were already safe based on AOSP and sfhub's notes.

Swype Issues
Users are reporting issues with Swype after the OTA.

Confirmed solution:
1) Go to Settings > Applications and select the "all" tab.
2) Scroll down to Swype app, tap.
3) Select clear all data

You will lose saved Swype data but functionality will be restored. (Thanks to many who posted this in Pgs. 16 & 17)

Wi-Fi Sleep Issues
Sfhub summed it up greatly and provided a link to previous discussion - I'm pasting that here for reference:
The WiFi deep sleep not reconnecting issue has been around for many releases

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27635600&postcount=3

They fixed it somewhere in between, but it got reinitroduced.

I also have a guide in Q&A for some custom wpa_supplicant.conf tweaks that have helped people on ICS. Feel free to look if interested.

Battery Issues
A lot of people have been mentioning battery performance and how it has dropped.
The CW (common wisdom) has been to suggest the following course:

1) Back up your phone contents.

2) Use sfhub's FF18 full Odin OC to wipe out /data and give yourself a clean slate.
(Normally a good idea whenever you do this kind of an update)

3) Turn off 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, GPS, etc and do a test battery drain.
If you get really lousy time here you may want to replace your battery.

4) One at a time start reintroducing your apps and functions.
As each may work differently on ICS it's better to do one at a time so you can identify what is draining the battery.

5) Once cause of excessive drain is found try to limit use.

For me it was leaving 3G/4G on when I don't need it. I turn on manually as needed.
I also leave BT, GPS as I only use < 1% of the time.

Please PM or note any bugs if noticed so I can document here - thanks!

Last edited:

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
FF18 Roms

As the leak matches OTA and has been verified I am removing the leak remark.

FF18 Roms & Stock Variants
Sextape's Leak (Stock, Unrooted)
Datajosh's Leak (Rooted, Odexed/Deodexed)
This is a stock rooted rom.
Sfhub's Odin One-Click (Full and Nodata versions)
This is a one click tar file with root that will load FF18. There are instructions on the thread. He also has the individual components available to download and flash through odin(tar, modem, kernel).
AGAT_v0.1.0 with tREC_v0.2.1
Stock kernel compiled from source (eMMC lockup trigger removed) and a few tweaks as mentioned in the first post.
Thanks to Agat63 and Chris41g for getting this out so quickly!

Custom Roms based on FF18
Team Rejectz's Touched by SGSIII
Wicked Sensations Rom™
Phantom's Blazer Rom
Mijjah74's MIJJz BLEND ICS
Team Venum's BOA VeNuM's Own
VeNuM's VeNuM ICE Rom
Agat63's tFF18_v0.1.0
RUJELUS22's The Blu Kuban
Team Rejectz's Supernova Rom

Custom Roms based on FF18 Source
Unofficial AOKP 4.0.4 Milestone 6

Last edited:

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
This post is now deprecated - please see the OP for download and or flashing instructions.

If you get the OTA prompt to download - please follow these steps to help out your fellow XDA'ers:

Steps to find OTA Link:
Download CatLog from the play store (free). Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dcatlog+android

When the OTA update is prompted you can look in the log cat results and find the direct Google download link URL. May take a bit of digging through the logcat but its not hard to find. Once you get the URL share it with others here. This way anyone who wants the official OTA can pull it down rather than wait potentially several days for it.

Edit: It will probably start with http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d710... to give you an idea of what to look for.

If anyone posts it here are steps to flash from EL29 stock: (note, this won't work if have a custom ROM, or if you modified any of the stock apps e.g. if you removed bloatware its not gonna work)

Steps to Manually Install OTA:
Rename the file to “update.zip” (without the quotes - make sure it isn't update.zip.zip)

Move the file to the root of your EDIT: SDCard on the ET4G
(Per results of others, stock recovery only looks at the root of a SDCard, not internal storage)

Shutdown your ET4G

Disconnect any USB Cable

Boot your phone into Recovery Mode
(Push and hold the the Volume Up + Power until recovery screen displays.)

Use Volume Down button to hightlight “apply update.zip”
Select with "home" button

Last edited:

DCRocks

Oct 4, 2010
Washington DC
Got a noobish question..

I got my GF the SGS3, and want to switch her over from the ET4G.

I would still be able to install the ICS OTA update even after I deactivated the ET4G, as long as I used the one click ODIN setup that typically gets posted in the Dev section, correct?

babololo12

Jul 9, 2012
If im flashing the Cyanogenmod 9 should i flash back to stock and get the ota? or just stick with CM9?

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Got a noobish question..

I would still be able to install the ICS OTA update even after I deactivated the ET4G, as long as I used the one click ODIN setup that typically gets posted in the Dev section, correct?

Yep! (Doing this doesn't matter whether activated or not)

Reactions: DCRocks

riggs170

Dec 14, 2011
Indianapolis
Got a noobish question..

yes as soon as someone receives the update and repackages it for Odin one click

Reactions: DCRocks

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
GOOD GRAVY!!!!! You mean they released an OTA update with the emmc bug? That's freakin' scary! I guess they weren't listening to our devs after all. :( I guess the OTA won't trigger a full factory reset, but what if some poor schlub needs to for some reason? :shakes head: That's a shame.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
Yes they did - I have noted this as a known bug. After I get the first 3 posts set up here I'll be venting about that a little more in the eMMC discussion thread.
In the rdf thread, jaysonp stated he had OTA and posted his build stats. Though not a screenshot, if what he posted was true and correct, am I correct in my assessment that the OTA is the same build as the FF18 leak and we already have it? Or do we need to wait for someone to pick apart the OTA to confirm?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

DirkBelig

Jun 10, 2010
Do they need to dig into the code to see if things are the same or would a simple md5 hash check accomplish the verification?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So here it is folks - after about 30 different ICS leaks Sprint has officially released it for the Epic 4G Touch!

History of Official OTA Announcements:
    7/11/12 approx. 11:00 am CDT: Source Released on Samsung's Site. OTA will be FF18 based on revision note.
    The recommended thread for source discussion is here.
    7/12/12 8:45 am - Sprint officially announced OTA on blog. Link is here.

8/22/12 9:53 am - Sprint officially announced update FH13 by OTA. Link is here. Available by Kies and OTA.

10/10/12 8:58 am - Sprint officially announce update FI27 by OTA. Link is here. Appears to be OTA only.

Link to FF18 Stock + Root ODIN One Click (from sfhub):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1721229
    It has been confirmed that this package matches the OTA released on 7/12. Use this for rooting.

Link to official OTA (on Google servers):
    http://android.clients.google.com/p...bbe3997e3067.SPH-D710_update_EL29_to_FF18.zip
    Credit to devinrovell for posting the link!

Qbking77 has also put together a video on how to install it here.
    (I linked both because I'm not sure everyone will be able to pick up the Youtube link.
    A link to his thread to thank him is here.

Important Notes
    Bugs will be in Post #2, including our confirmation that the emmc lockup is still vulnerable..
    Post #3 will contain links to leaks, ROMs based on leaks and then those based on source.

Link to sfhub's EL29 ODIN One-Click (in case you want to go back to GB - kept by popular demand)
    :D you made it sound easy.. That's what I have been reading hopefully sfhub will let us know if the rom is different.... trying to be patient to see what route I should take I'm currently on calkulin el29 v3 rom the suspense is killing me... Thank you again

I compared the results of Official FF18 OTA patch SHA1 checksums against the matching files in the FF18 leak and they match 100%. I will do one more compare of the entire OTA vs leak trees just to be sure, but I would say 99.9% sure the leak and OTA are exactly the same.

So to summarize:

Modem (Official FF18 OTA = Leaked FF18 Odin OneClick)SHA1:9957ce5a632a22735fb2936fa5136fac2e57836a modem.bin (leaked FF18 ODIN OneClick)
    SHA1:9957ce5a632a22735fb2936fa5136fac2e57836a modem.bin (official FF18 OTA)

Kernel (Official FF18 OTA = Leaked FF18 Odin OneClick)SHA1:e14e1856916bdd9a42821366784472a12e5b9a15 zImage (leaked FF18 ODIN OneClick)
    SHA1:e14e1856916bdd9a42821366784472a12e5b9a15 zImage (official FF18 OTA)

ROM (Official FF18 OTA = Leaked FF18 Odin OneClick for all the files shipped as patches)
    All the SHA1 checksums of the patched files in the Official FF18 OTA match up exactly with the Leaked FF18 ODIN OneClick

There is a tiny possibility one of the files in the OTA which was shipped as a full file (rather than a patch) doesn't match (which is why I'll do a full tree compare) but IMO that possibility is very very small.
    thank you for the hard work.. So im on calkulins v3 el29 rogue recovery i can install ur one click ff18 right. one click i can be on any rom right?
    Yes, you can use the One Click FF18 on top of any ROM. If you don't have a ton of apps, it would be worth a shot to do the NoData upgrade which will preserve your data (this will essentially do the same thing the FF18 OTA is doing). If you have a lot of stuff installed or don't mind reinstalling, do the Full upgrade.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

There is a tiny possibility one of the files in the OTA which was shipped as a full file (rather than a patch) doesn't match (which is why I'll do a full tree compare) but IMO that possibility is very very small.
    Ok, I have done the full tree compare. The Official FF18 OTA ICS for all intents and purposes is exactly the same as the Leaked FF18.

So to summarize:

Modem (Official FF18 OTA = Leaked FF18 Odin OneClick)
    SHA1:9957ce5a632a22735fb2936fa5136fac2e57836a modem.bin (leaked FF18 ODIN OneClick)
    SHA1:9957ce5a632a22735fb2936fa5136fac2e57836a modem.bin (official FF18 OTA)

Kernel (Official FF18 OTA = Leaked FF18 Odin OneClick)
    SHA1:e14e1856916bdd9a42821366784472a12e5b9a15 zImage (leaked FF18 ODIN OneClick)
    SHA1:e14e1856916bdd9a42821366784472a12e5b9a15 zImage (official FF18 OTA)

ROM (Official FF18 OTA = Leaked FF18 Odin OneClick)
    All the files in the Official FF18 OTA match up exactly with the Leaked FF18 ODIN OneClick

For completeness I will mention 3 differences which are inconsequential:
    1) patch files for recovery partition are present in an OTA upgrade but not in the leak. This is inconsequential because the ODIN OneClick ships a full recovery.bin image already patched, so there is no need to patch upon first boot. (Not to mention, recovery.bin is essentially unused on our phone)
    1a) /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    1b) /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    2) /system/etc/KiesAir (empty) directory is present in an OTA update but not in the ODIN OneClick. This is probably just a left over directory they didn't remove. The directory is empty (in the OTA update) so it won't have any effect on the ROM.
    I'll get some videos up very soon for manually updating and such.