Amazon instant video (app or website) work?

Search This thread

mwinschel

Aug 12, 2010
Hi using my new infinity and am trying to get amazon instant video either through the website or app with no success. App is crashing and while it looks as if I can watch video in a scaled windows at times on the website, if I try to go full screen it doesnt work at all. Has anyone tried using this and/or found a way to get it to work if you have the same problem? I was wondering if it was a browser issue and tried the stock, chrome so far.

Last edited:

BritCrit

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
Works on stock browser and dolphin for me. I've tried to get the "app" working before on other devices but never with success.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Splaktar

Aug 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Got it working last night on the website with Dolphin HD. Kind of lagged when I was multi-tasking (running speed tests). But after closing open apps and restarting the browser, it was very smooth and clear.

BritCrit

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
Probably worth mentioning works great on splashtop when streaming from the desktop too. (using the unbox app not looking to be super redundant) Splashtop is included with the TF700 under the MyNet application.

mwinschel

Aug 12, 2010
Probably worth mentioning works great on splashtop when streaming from the desktop too. (using the unbox app not looking to be super redundant) Splashtop is included with the TF700 under the MyNet application.

I have had more success with Dolphin lately although still buggy. when you expand to full screen you lose video until you pause and play again. Seems to work a little better now for some reason. Would be nice to have the app working.

fella1

Sep 27, 2009
frustratingly enough amazon saw fit to release the app for Ipad today while neglecting to release an android version. Terribly annoying because they've obviously had the app ready for android forever ago since it used by the kindle fire. Guess they want to force people to buy the kindle fire to get the app. Pretty stupid because they would make more money from the people getting prime to use the app than they would on the kindle fire sale.

breathlessasus

Sep 3, 2012
Amazon streaming

New to Forum and just tried to use Amazon's prime streaming through Dolphin Browser installed on my TF700 but when logged in, got a screen message that Adobe Flash wasn't installed and therefore it wouldn't play. I read somewhere Adobe wasn't supporting newer tablets as TF700 which have updated Android OS. Am I missing something here?

Any and all help/comments will be greatly appreciated. :fingers-crossed:

Thanks all. SIZE]

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
New to Forum and just tried to use Amazon's prime streaming through Dolphin Browser installed on my TF700 but when logged in, got a screen message that Adobe Flash wasn't installed and therefore it wouldn't play. I read somewhere Adobe wasn't supporting newer tablets as TF700 which have updated Android OS. Am I missing something here?

Thanks all. SIZE]

Make sure you have flash installed and your browser configured for flash. I'm using Boat browser and go to settings then set flash for "on demand" works fine with Amazon instant video streaming.

Reactions: breathlessasus

fortunz

Apr 19, 2009
inside
I've never been able to get it to consistently work with no sync issues in a browser. The sync loss is minor, but it's just noticeable enough to be annoying. It's a flash thing, I'm sure, rather than a specific browser thing. Some day I'll get around to trying earlier flash releases to see if any are better. I've experienced a similar sync issue with splashtop too.

I was going to use XBMC + bluecop's repository + asus mynet, but I've been having all kinds of errors adding shows to a library where they would be accessible to other devices.

I was able to get the fire apk working when I briefly had a Nook Tablet running a slightly modified version of gingerbread (see my sig). From what I've read, no one has gotten it working on ICS+. My brief attempt just resulted in crashes when i tried to play a vid. Boy I wish Amazon would get their app up to date and release it officially for Android in general. I'd much rather use the app again.

breathlessasus

Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for the response/help. Never heard of Boat Browser but will give it a try. :D

UPDATE: Tried using Boat Browser with flash setting to "on demand" and still got the same message - Adobe not installed. Don't think it's so much the browser as it is that Adobe no longer supports newer Android OS devices. Found list of those tablets which will work with Amazon's Prime instant streaming and TF700 is not one. :(

Could there be a difference in streaming vs. buying or renting a video? :confused:

Thanks again for response/help - appreciate it.

fortunz

Apr 19, 2009
inside
With the new Fire HDs coming, one would hope we can get at least yank an updated apk from them that will work in the next couple of weeks.

Amazon has been on a roll, laying out apps for PS3, 360, and the iPad. Surely they're at least working on a broad release of the easiest one of all, Android, one of the first they had working. Surely. If you haven't used their support form to request an Android app for all tabs, please do so now.

Lancerator

Sep 27, 2012
Let me get this straight some of you are streaming on the tf700 on amazon prime instant video and having no sync issues? Cause I just upgraded to the tf700 and mine is way out of sync.

BTrack

Jan 22, 2009
Let me get this straight some of you are streaming on the tf700 on amazon prime instant video and having no sync issues? Cause I just upgraded to the tf700 and mine is way out of sync.
I posted the same question regarding Amazon Instant Video lag in browsers on the TF700. My video lags about 1/2 second. Enough to be annoying. I've tried the stock browser, Boat Browser, and ICS+ to no avail.

Ironically, I had no issues streaming Amazon's Instant Videos on the Prime I returned in order to get my Infinity.

Lancerator

Sep 27, 2012
well I went to performance mode on dolphin and it does do a bit better. Its to bad I had no problem with the prime.

sparksd

Sep 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amazon Prime sucked on my Xoom. Over at the Motorola Xoom Forum, a very knowledgeable poster (gmanapps) posted the following explanation for the Xoom issues:

------------------------------

Prior to ICS, flash had support for each individual CPU/GPU combo with specific video acceleration code for each type of CPU/GPU (OMAP, Snapdragon, Tegra, etc) which meant that flash could totally take advantage of the hardware.

When adobe ported flash to ICS they used the new ICS API. Under ICS all devices are only required to support the lowest encoding profile, but may support the higher bitrate encoding profiles.

Adobe decided that since only the lower bitrate profile was guaranteed to work with hardware acceleration accross all ICS device, to only send the lower bit rate profiles through the ICS hardware accelerated API. Everything else is done as software decoding inside of flash. So while the Xoom hardware is capable of accelerating/decoding the higher bitrate encoded data, flash no longer sends it to the GPU for decoding and tries to do it in software which is slow.

Amazon's content is encoded in one of 4 different mpeg encoding profiles. One of the profiles goes through hardware acceleration and works fine. But higher bitrate data profiles get stuck getting decoded in flash's software decoder and looks horrible.

Adobe could have provided a configuration option, test or other method to allow individuals to enable decoding of the other profiles in hardware....or at least try it and see if it worked on their device. On many devices it would work. But they chose not to go that route.

So unless you are running a high end quad core device, with a small screen, the software decoding of much of higher resolution flash content is going to be painful to watch.

Out of curiousity I just tried it with Dolphin on my Galaxy S3 phone - HD video of Downton Abbey looked beautiful and had no synch issues at all. But a very small picture ...

Dave

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Amazon Prime sucked on my Xoom. Over at the Motorola Xoom Forum, a very knowledgeable poster (gmanapps) posted the following explanation for the Xoom issues:

Prior to ICS, flash had support for each individual CPU/GPU combo with specific video acceleration code for each type of CPU/GPU (OMAP, Snapdragon, Tegra, etc) which meant that flash could totally take advantage of the hardware.

When adobe ported flash to ICS they used the new ICS API. Under ICS all devices are only required to support the lowest encoding profile, but may support the higher bitrate encoding profiles.

Adobe decided that since only the lower bitrate profile was guaranteed to work with hardware acceleration accross all ICS device, to only send the lower bit rate profiles through the ICS hardware accelerated API. Everything else is done as software decoding inside of flash. So while the Xoom hardware is capable of accelerating/decoding the higher bitrate encoded data, flash no longer sends it to the GPU for decoding and tries to do it in software which is slow.

Amazon's content is encoded in one of 4 different mpeg encoding profiles. One of the profiles goes through hardware acceleration and works fine. But higher bitrate data profiles get stuck getting decoded in flash's software decoder and looks horrible.

Adobe could have provided a configuration option, test or other method to allow individuals to enable decoding of the other profiles in hardware....or at least try it and see if it worked on their device. On many devices it would work. But they chose not to go that route.

So unless you are running a high end quad core device, with a small screen, the software decoding of much of higher resolution flash content is going to be painful to watch.

Out of curiousity I just tried it with Dolphin on my Galaxy S3 phone - HD video of Downton Abbey looked beautiful and had no synch issues at all. But a very small picture ...

Dave

Thanks all. SIZE]

Make sure you have flash installed and your browser configured for flash. I'm using Boat browser and go to settings then set flash for "on demand" works fine with Amazon instant video streaming.