[Q] High-Pitched Squealing Whine On Calls

Search This thread

Memnoch42

Jul 10, 2014
So, I've searched around quite a bit on this, and the only things I could find were on other devices, not even ones in the moto_msm8960 family, either.

As the title states, I'm getting what sounds like a feedback squeal in my ear when I make a call, or receive a call (doesn't matter which). This does not happen every single call, but it does happen most, almost all, of the time (>=95%). As of yet, I can't determine a pattern of any kind, such as people on a particular carrier, within a certain region or location, or even a time of day. When it does happen, however, the other party can hear static over the line, and it has nothing to do with signal (full bars or no, it's consistent with the squealing I hear). The sound decreases phenomenally when I put the phone on speakerphone, I have to put the phone almost right next to my ear to hear it...but the other parties can still hear the static pretty bad. One person told me it "sounds like [I'm] in the rain" it was so bad, and him living in Florida means he's not talking about a light sprinkle ;)

To answer questions I've seen frequently on similar posts for other devices, and to give you an idea of what I've tried; it does not matter if wifi/GPS/bluetooth are activated. One post even mentioned pocket mode, but that did nothing with I toggled it. The sound does not occur when playing music through the speakers, only calls. On that note, I'm going to reiterate that it does not matter if I'm making or taking a call, the sound persists. I can move the phone away from my face during the call, but it doesn't decrease the sound.

UPDATE: When I make a recording, I can indeed hear the "rain" that the person mentioned above, making me think that it might be my mic.

If this is a hardware problem, I can easily replace the microphone. Spare parts are easy to find, and I'm tech savvy enough and even have the proper tools to replace the parts myself. However, if there's even the slightest chance that this is a software problem, I'd rather see what you guys think first.

Thanks for your time!