[Q] Thinking of getting one; How does Splashtop Work with it?

Search This thread

Shadow of Chaos

Feb 17, 2013
So I'm looking at getting some kind of keyboard/tablet combo like the Transformer series in order to steam from my desktop computer anywhere; I've settled on using Splashtop for the actual streaming, so now I need to wonder which Tablet is the better choice.

My question is more in using the trackpad- In other words, does the trackpad work mostly as a "standard" trackpad would (THat is, right and left clicking)? The only videos I can find demoing the idea use a USB mouse, so I'm not finding any luck there.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I don't use Spashtop, so I can't help you there.
But the trackpad does not work lik on a Windows laptop. You do not have a right click context menu in Android. In some apps the right click functions as "back", in others it does nothing.
I never use it anyway. Feels extremely awkward if you have a perfect touch screen right in front of you.

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
The trackpad kind of works like windows - well windows 8 anyway. It works as if it is a touchscreen.

As for splashtop last time I used it it worked fine and I could use the device as netbook. Gaming will only be as good as your streaming connection so I found it ok for strategy type games but not for FPS as it introduces lag.

mashed_ash

Sep 20, 2010
So I'm looking at getting some kind of keyboard/tablet combo like the Transformer series in order to steam from my desktop computer anywhere; I've settled on using Splashtop for the actual streaming, so now I need to wonder which Tablet is the better choice.

My question is more in using the trackpad- In other words, does the trackpad work mostly as a "standard" trackpad would (THat is, right and left clicking)? The only videos I can find demoing the idea use a USB mouse, so I'm not finding any luck there.

The only functionality you wont get from the trackpad on splashtop is two finger scrolling. This works with standard android apps but doesnt work with any RDP client i've tried.

Shadow of Chaos

Feb 17, 2013
The trackpad kind of works like windows - well windows 8 anyway. It works as if it is a touchscreen.

As for splashtop last time I used it it worked fine and I could use the device as netbook. Gaming will only be as good as your streaming connection so I found it ok for strategy type games but not for FPS as it introduces lag.

That's fine with me, as I'm not much for FPSs anyway (and gaming was going to be at my main rig anyway).

One last question, though I think I found the answer to this before: Does the trackpad have right and left clicks, or is it where you have to hold the one button in order to right click?

Sleeepy2

Dec 9, 2009
Toronto
Depends on the app. There is a right click however it is up to the developer if and how they use it. Most apps just use the right click as a back button.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
That's fine with me, as I'm not much for FPSs anyway (and gaming was going to be at my main rig anyway).

One last question, though I think I found the answer to this before: Does the trackpad have right and left clicks, or is it where you have to hold the one button in order to right click?

In splash top it will work as a right click I believe so it will behave well for windows apps. In normal apps as said it is up to the app to configure mouse buttons - most android apps don't understand a right click - we have screen tap and screen tap and hold, etc....

Devolution1x

Dec 3, 2010
Splashtop works just fine with it. I managed to actually play Mass Effect 3 from my gaming laptop in splashtop. It's just a pain to set up, that's all.

alesi80

Feb 21, 2009
I do have the tf201 and I use splashtop 2 free version everyday with my windows 7 pc.

It works pretty good, the right click button of the trackpad dock acts as a windows right button.

only sad thing is that you have no ESC and no CANC button on the tf201 dock.

I remeber that a couple of years ago, in previous version of splashtop, the button which is located in the top left corner on the tf201 dock used to act as an esc button, but since some update it is no more like that.