[MOD] T-Mobile Note 2 wireless charging mod

Search This thread

vinas1

Jan 29, 2011
Detroit
This is a fork of the original N7100 Note 2 wireless mod thread found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951493

The purpose of this thread is to determine why the wireless charging pins on the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889) are not working after installing the MOD above.
Please view the thread above for more details about the original MOD, and to see what you need to do first in order to continue with the work around below.

Updated method on 8-5-2013: Thanks to SGBE

The updated method has a better solder point. See that thread OVER HERE.

Results:

The Work Around: (verified working on multiple devices)
We have a mod to make wifi charging work! Regardless if the T-Mobile GN2 is missing hardware or not, the work-around is a low cost (free?) alternative to get wifi charging working. Our work around involves soldering a small wire to a tiny point on the micro usb board. You should be able to solder a very small connection (about the size of a pen tip) before attempting this.​
The mod/workaround below is verified working with the stock charger and stock kernel. <- Pay attention to that last bit. :cowboy:

Workaround Known Issues:
Some kernels have a charge rate which is set too high for the PALM PRE Touchstone to work with. Likewise, some non-oem chargers can not deliver enough amperage to continuously charge the device wirelessly through the Touchstone. Therefore, if you have any problems (disconnect/reconnect proble), be certain that you are using a stock charging rate (kernel controlled) and a stock Galaxy Note 2 Charger (2,000mA). If you are still having problems check your mod for trouble, and finally post up and maybe someone can help you.

The Mod / Workaround:
(also attachment #3 on the list below)

attachment.php

The full work around post is on page 3
.​

New Information:
If you have new information on a hardware or software fix then it will be added here. Until that time, proceed with the workaround at your own risk. Once again, the work around instructional image is HERE.

WARNING: What was claimed to be a fix in the section below did not work, and ultimately people wasted money on bogus hardware. It is here for historical reference.

The Fix
You may need to purchase some missing hardware.

See page 7 for details (you need to replace the flex cable and micro-usb board): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34380437&postcount=65 The SKU number for the board is MBRPSS964.

(the false wifi charging image is only attached for historical reference)

Picture legend:
  1. Sprint GN2 chip (the chip is missing on T-Mobile's version)
  2. Sprint GN2 pin pads
  3. Wifi Charging work around instructions
  4. Completed work around example.
  5. alternate view of work around charging pin
  6. alternate view of work around +5vdc source
  7. Picture of the wi-fi fix working (reported that this may be a fake!)

Older info:
Some steps that I've personally done:
Completed the wireless mod above, confirmed wireless voltage reading of 5.56vdc.
Tested continuity between USB positive, and wireless positive - no connection.
Tested continuity from the negative wireless charging pin to the negative USB, SIM slot, various screws - they are connected.
Jumped the positive post on the USB to the wireless charging positive pin, the phone charges but is not practical to have a wire hanging out of the USB port.

I plan to pull apart the phone and check the paths from the positive and negative ports on the wireless pins. Attached is a picture from a SPRINT GN2 that does not have the pins, but supposedly works for charging once contact is made with the pads. I'm going to be using this to compare the circuit against my T-mobile version.

Attachments

• sprint_wireless_pins.jpg
    sprint_wireless_pins.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 10,896
  • Sprint_Gn2.jpg
    Sprint_Gn2.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 10,574
  • T-Mobile_GN2-USB_Power_Mod.jpg
    T-Mobile_GN2-USB_Power_Mod.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 34,619
  • GN2_wifi_charging_MOD1.jpg
    GN2_wifi_charging_MOD1.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 7,870
  • GN2_wifi_charging_MOD2.jpg
    GN2_wifi_charging_MOD2.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 7,185
  • GN2_wifi_charging_MOD3.jpg
    GN2_wifi_charging_MOD3.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 7,363
Last edited:

xamindar

Apr 8, 2012
Tested continuity between USB positive, and wireless positive - no connection..

Now this makes sense. Because if both wireless and usb charging connections were directly connected together, the phone would have no way of knowing which charging system you were using. But we know from the tests on the international version that it does know. So this in no way tells us that positive is not connected at all.

Even though the phone doesn't detect wireless charging at this time in software, has anyone tried leaving it on the wireless charger to see if it still charges the battery?

vinas1

Jan 29, 2011
Detroit
Even though the phone doesn't detect wireless charging at this time in software, has anyone tried leaving it on the wireless charger to see if it still charges the battery?
I did this too, and waited for a while (waiting for the battery to drain on this phone is like trying to suck the ocean dry) - after a long time of playing video it dropped by 1% while on the wireless charger. :rolleyes:

elite-fusion

Sep 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Well that would be the last resort of course, but I hope that some dev or vinas1 can figure something out at least, this is one of the best features in my opinion :)

Turbo4V

Jun 17, 2009
Subscibing... Stupidly ordered a wireless charging kit for the 7100 ASSuming that it would work for the tmob gn2, then noticed this thread ... DOH

vinas1

Jan 29, 2011
Detroit
Subscibing... Stupidly ordered a wireless charging kit for the 7100 ASSuming that it would work for the tmob gn2, then noticed this thread ... DOH
Sounds like a lot of us did the same thing. Knowing that, any folks who can test with their modded or kit wireless will help speed up the research for everyone! I'm hopeful at this point, but have not had a chance yet to do a tear down. Been working late hours this week but I should have a chance to disassemble the Gn2 this weekend for sure. So far the plan is to do a visual inspection of the wireless charging circuit and compare it to the sprint pictures in the OP. I'm guessing that a bypass is in order and it may be as simple as using some foil tape or conductive marker; but that's all speculation at this point. :good:

note300tt

Jun 5, 2012
You and me both. I guess I should have known better from the past. At least the parts on amazon are rather cheap.

+1
i ordered note 2 and wireless charging items (from amazon) the same time. I should've read it in detail. sighhhhhhhhh , cheaper to buy international note 2 also sighhhhhhhhh

perryh1

Feb 28, 2011
kanata
seems like it may be hardware related, if you look to the left of the pins, there is something attached on the sprint board that is missing on ours i will circle it in the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20121109_143326.jpg
    IMG_20121109_143326.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 1,396
Reactions: degeneration

degeneration

Jul 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
seems like it may be hardware related, if you look to the left of the pins, there is something attached on the sprint board that is missing on ours i will circle it in the picture

I don't doubt your info, but it seems weird to me that other carriers (sprint specifically I think) can't access their pins, but would have added hardware that would make the phone capable of wireless charging, and we have access to the pins, but lack the hardware capability to take advantage of them.

vinas1

Jan 29, 2011
Detroit
I agree. I got a chance to take some macro shot of this with my DSLR. Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,196
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 1,201

perryh1

Feb 28, 2011
kanata
I have a wind mobile note 2. Identical to the tmobile version. I did poke around with my multi meter and couldnt find the positive charging pin connected to anything. Just to be clear im no expert I just took my phone apart so it may help others figure this out. Especially since I already ordered the palm touch stone stuff lol

Sent from my SGH-T889V using xda premium

Reactions: pcorlatan

vinas1

Jan 29, 2011
Detroit
As it stands now, I jumped the USB 5vdc internally with a tiny wire, over to the wireless positive pin. It's working, although it was a tough mod. But it is totally internal so I guess this will have to do for now. So I have wireless charging (kind of, it works teh same as USB) on the T-mobile Note 2 now. If anyone wants to do the same thing, post up a pic of the board by the USB plug and I'll label the connector that you can use for the 5vdc source. The reason it's a tough mod is because you have to solder a small connection to the board under the capacitive touch buttons. It took me about 4 hours to find a good power lead on the board and make it all work internally!

Last edited:

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
As it stands now, I jumped the USB 5vdc internally with a tiny wire, over to the wireless positive pin. It's working, although it was a tough mod. But it is totally internal so I guess this will have to do for now. So I have wireless charging (kind of, it works teh same as USB) on the T-mobile Note 2 now. If anyone wants to do the same thing, post up a pic of the board by the USB plug and I'll label the connector that you can use for the 5vdc source. The reason it's a tough mod is because you have to solder a small connection to the board under the capacitive touch buttons. It took me about 4 hours to find a good power lead on the board and make it all work internally!

Please do. I might do the same thing... I have lots of touchstones and a couple Note2's that need some inductive lovin'!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do. I might do the same thing... I have lots of touchstones and a couple Note2's that need some inductive lovin'!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Here ya go! Keep in mind that this is my wireless volt mod (as in, the way I did it) and as such, any improvements are welcome! I'm very happy with the mod so far. The phone did a full charge over night with no problems. It was very nice just to pick it up off the touchstone this morning! But as usual do this at your own risk! The person doing the mod should be reasonably proficient at soldering small joints. Just be careful and this will work for you. Instructions are on the JPG! Any questions please ask! Verified working on the stock kernel and stock charger. :good:
    This is a fork of the original N7100 Note 2 wireless mod thread found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951493

The purpose of this thread is to determine why the wireless charging pins on the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889) are not working after installing the MOD above.
    Please view the thread above for more details about the original MOD, and to see what you need to do first in order to continue with the work around below.

Updated method on 8-5-2013: Thanks to SGBE

The updated method has a better solder point. See that thread OVER HERE.

Results:

The Work Around: (verified working on multiple devices)
    We have a mod to make wifi charging work! Regardless if the T-Mobile GN2 is missing hardware or not, the work-around is a low cost (free?) alternative to get wifi charging working. Our work around involves soldering a small wire to a tiny point on the micro usb board. You should be able to solder a very small connection (about the size of a pen tip) before attempting this.​
    The mod/workaround below is verified working with the stock charger and stock kernel. <- Pay attention to that last bit. :cowboy:

Workaround Known Issues:
    Some kernels have a charge rate which is set too high for the PALM PRE Touchstone to work with. Likewise, some non-oem chargers can not deliver enough amperage to continuously charge the device wirelessly through the Touchstone. Therefore, if you have any problems (disconnect/reconnect proble), be certain that you are using a stock charging rate (kernel controlled) and a stock Galaxy Note 2 Charger (2,000mA). If you are still having problems check your mod for trouble, and finally post up and maybe someone can help you.

The Mod / Workaround:
    (also attachment #3 on the list below)

attachment.php

The full work around post is on page 3
    .​

New Information:
    If you have new information on a hardware or software fix then it will be added here. Until that time, proceed with the workaround at your own risk. Once again, the work around instructional image is HERE.

WARNING: What was claimed to be a fix in the section below did not work, and ultimately people wasted money on bogus hardware. It is here for historical reference.

The Fix
    You may need to purchase some missing hardware.

See page 7 for details (you need to replace the flex cable and micro-usb board): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34380437&postcount=65 The SKU number for the board is MBRPSS964.

(the false wifi charging image is only attached for historical reference)

Picture legend:
    1. Sprint GN2 chip (the chip is missing on T-Mobile's version)
    2. Sprint GN2 pin pads
    3. Wifi Charging work around instructions
    4. Completed work around example.
    5. alternate view of work around charging pin
    6. alternate view of work around +5vdc source
    7. Picture of the wi-fi fix working (reported that this may be a fake!)

Older info:
    Some steps that I've personally done:
    Completed the wireless mod above, confirmed wireless voltage reading of 5.56vdc.
    Tested continuity between USB positive, and wireless positive - no connection.
    Tested continuity from the negative wireless charging pin to the negative USB, SIM slot, various screws - they are connected.
    Jumped the positive post on the USB to the wireless charging positive pin, the phone charges but is not practical to have a wire hanging out of the USB port.

I plan to pull apart the phone and check the paths from the positive and negative ports on the wireless pins. Attached is a picture from a SPRINT GN2 that does not have the pins, but supposedly works for charging once contact is made with the pads. I'm going to be using this to compare the circuit against my T-mobile version.
    Did anyone tried the "CircuitWriter Pen"?
    I have one and I am tempted to try it.

Here is what I'm talking about:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl?sc=1&category=&search=circuit
    Circuit Pens not recommended for this mod. Grounding issues and reliability issues with conductive pens. To answer your question directly, I have tested with my conductive pen and it is difficult to maintain a path for any significant distance. These pens are probably good for minor repairs though, just not this mod. The path is pretty long and even if a conductive pen could be used, the risk of shorting is pretty high. It may be possible to use conductive tape, but reliability issues are likely.

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that the original mod which I posted is still going strong on my phone. Cheers!
    Hey gang. Wanted to update every one of you on this thread because we were able to get it to work on the Note II on the T-mobile network with a very simple fix that required no wiring, etc. It did, however, require that you purchase a Dock Charging Board Flex cable part that fits perfectly on the bottom of the circuit board. It will cause no functional changes to your phone, either. Wireless charging works in addition to plug-in charging.

Because I'm a new user, I can't post links to the purchase store where I bought it but you can go to the website: China Gadget Land and do a search for charging flex cable n7100 - that one result is the one you are looking for. The SKU is: MBRPSS964

Those of you who still want a link can just PM me to find out info about it. I'm also on twitter: @aaldere1

The main difference between the two you can see by the picture attached. The default T-Mobile flex cable has 3 pins on the upper left corner, while the purchased one has two, plus a bit of a difference in circuitry.

We thought originally that this woudln't work but there isn't any functional difference in the phone at all with this part. Again, this is a T-Mobile Note II. Works great.

The good news is that this flex cable can be interchanged with your default one so if something doesn't work you won't have to severely modify your phone to get it back.