[Q] install custom recovery - libsub error:-12

Search This thread

Dr. Bob!

Feb 10, 2014
Hello Community,

I tried to install custom recovery using this manual "wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_serranoltexx" (<- cannot use the link function, because it's my first post). I followed every step. At point 9 I have to make commands using the cmd. Unfortunately the result is an Error:

Failed to access device. libusb error: -12

I had two insecurities while following the manual:

1. At point 4 I had to rename the recovery image but I'm not sure what the recovery image is. What I downloaded was a .tar.md5 file within a .zip. Do I have to rename the .zip or the .tar.md5? The renaming causes a change of the file type and I cannot really understand, why they didn't put the right file in that .zip at the beginnig...this step is a bit confusing
  2. To point 5: I deinstalled Kies and the device driver in the Windows operating system. Since I've done this, there are appearing two devices in the zadig.exe when I connect my S4. I installed the zadig driver for both of them.

Im using Windows 7 x64

I hope someone can help me, for this moment I don't know what to do further...

greets

fdelente

Jan 5, 2014
  1. At point 4 I had to rename the recovery image but I'm not sure what the recovery image is. What I downloaded was a .tar.md5 file within a .zip. Do I have to rename the .zip or the .tar.md5? The renaming causes a change of the file type and I cannot really understand, why they didn't put the right file in that .zip at the beginnig...this step is a bit confusing

I don't know about the libUSB error, and I haven't modded a Galaxy S4 mini, but I have installed CM on Galaxy Player. The tar.md5 has to be extracted from the zip; it is in fact a tar.gz file (tar archive compressed with gzip), but you don't have to rename it.

I flashed the Galaxy Player with Odin 3 v. 3.04, after having installed Kies to have the drivers installed. The Player showed in Odin with something like "ID:0 COM"; I then clicked on the "PDA" button, then pointed to the tar.md5, and clicked flashed, and it worked.

Here are my 2 cents :^)

Last edited:

Dr. Bob!

Feb 10, 2014
[...] The tar.md5 has to be extracted from the zip; it is in fact a tar.gz file (tar archive compressed with gzip), but you don't have to rename it.
I found out, the .tar.md5 is also a compressed file. If I extract it, I get a file called "recovery.img". At this point it's not very clear what to do. Because there is nothing to rename. And even if you are right, the tutorial would be also wrong. :confused:

If it not rooted, that the first thing you'll have to do.
This is for installing the custom recovery, that's is the root, isn't it? I had the problem that Heimdall doesn't gets access to the device (lubusb error: -12). It's probably a driver problem.
However, I solved the problem by doing another method using odin. The root was succesfull. Afterwards I will flash the custom rom.

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
I found out, the .tar.md5 is also a compressed file. If I extract it, I get a file called "recovery.img". At this point it's not very clear what to do. Because there is nothing to rename. And even if you are right, the tutorial would be also wrong. :confused:

This is for installing the custom recovery, that's is the root, isn't it? I had the problem that Heimdall doesn't gets access to the device (lubusb error: -12). It's probably a driver problem.
However, I solved the problem by doing another method using odin. The root was succesfull. Afterwards I will flash the custom rom.

No, custom recovery is not rooting. Not my favourite method but it easy enough, try this: http://www.kingoapp.com/

It a universal root for JB and it will prompt you to install CWM afterwards.

Dr. Bob!

Feb 10, 2014
After installing the CWM I rooted the device. I succesfully installed Canogenmod 10.2.1. The Tutorial says explicit, that it only helps for 10.2.x but I want to install the Nightly version which is running at CM version 11. If I could, I would ask this questions in the threat but I'm not allowed yet to post in the developers section. "xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2474054"

Can I use this tutorial for flashing CM version 11?