Battery Life Since 4.4.2

Search This thread

cpurick

Jul 29, 2011
I only had mine a week or so before the upgrade, but I would say it's definitely taken a hit. Now, screen is not always the biggest power consumer like it used to be. Android OS and Android System are taking a much bigger portion of the power than they used to. I always reboot the phone if something other than screen is monopolizing the battery.

Also, I heard there's a Qualcomm-specific bug related to powering the cameras, and that it's been a particular issue with the latest Skype builds.

I worry that they'll fix these issues quickly in the Android project but it'll take months for me to see the fix from Verizon, by which point my battery will have been subjected a lot of unnecessary heat and wear.

D

Darth

Tonnes of android os talk in this thread. Or try Googling it.

Basically, the more services you have on and apps syncing, the higher it gets. For experimentation .....disable sync, location, Google now and Amy other service you can find, and usually android os goes way down. Decide what's important to you and enable things again....but do like one change a day. And when your android os skyrockets again....you'll know the last thing you enabled is the main culprit.

Anyway.....a pile of battery tips in here, and android os talk. Take some time and read through some. Maybe start at last page and go back as far as you can. ;)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2418077

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

someguyatx

Feb 7, 2012
Louisville
Yes that battery life thread is very good. No change noticed here after the upgrade from 4.4

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

cpurick

Jul 29, 2011
Thanks, but I didn't really have to add anything except 4.4.2. The increased battery draw was pretty obvious after I applied the OTA. Since the upgrade, this phone doesn't have anywhere near the life that it once had. And even after the bugs that are draining it are addressed how long will it take to get the fix through Verizon?

D

Darth

Thanks, but I didn't really have to add anything except 4.4.2. The increased battery draw was pretty obvious after I applied the OTA. Since the upgrade, this phone doesn't have anywhere near the life that it once had. And even after the bugs that are draining it are addressed how long will it take to get the fix through Verizon?

Trust me, you can fix it now....if you try. Just gotta troubleshoot.

Many have no such bugs....or they've disabled whatever has wrecked their battery.

Just gotta put in some time and your issues can be fixed. ;)

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
Rooted with 4.4.2 and xposed/gravity box... Excellent battery life. Always 24+ hours use and 6+ hours of screen time. Granted I don't game but I always get some GPS and lots of music and browsing. I love this phone. I'm selling my n5 now.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Soldier 2.0
D

Darth

Rooted with 4.4.2 and xposed/gravity box... Excellent battery life. Always 24+ hours use and 6+ hours of screen time. Granted I don't game but I always get some GPS and lots of music and browsing. I love this phone. I'm selling my n5 now.

I seem to be one of the few that's matching my Moto x's battery life on my N5. :)

Not sure why some have such bad battery life on either phone sometimes, I can only assume its app related and very hard to pin down.

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I have noticed no appreciable change in battery life on any of the builds that the phone has had since I got it in December. Some days it is excellent, the next day, the wind blows the other direction (literally and figuratively) and the battery life is terrible with no change in usage or where my phone spends most of its time.

beefgoat

Jul 13, 2011
Chicago
I had the Android OS bug after the OTA. I reflashed the stock firmware in fastboot and now it's gone back down to a more manageable level.

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
I actually had slightly better battery life on my Nexus5. I still haven't passed 7+ hours screen time on the MotoX. I did it multiple times with the Nexus5. Although I think the Nexus5 has some tech to save battery while reading or screen is still. It still wasn't enough to make me choose it over the awesomeness that is the MotoX. Although I do miss that raw power every so often.

I too have had the random drain issue. It's definitely app related and since I reset and have stopped installing outdated apps I've been fine.

Moto X developer edition

okaban

Feb 18, 2008
Cork
You know, I thought it was just me, but the battery life definitely why down after 4.4.2! Yes they added a couple of features, but not that many for the drop in battery life experienced

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
My battery life is better on 4.4.2

The issues are with apps that have not been updated since kit kat. I've since removed such apps and have been enjoying much better battery life.

Moto X developer edition

southern87

Installed ds battery saver. And let discharge overnight. Gsam reported a 2%/hr discharge. I had some apps not be shutoff

Install a xposed module appopsx or find a app on the play store if you don't have xposed. 4.4.2 requires root.

It's the built in permissions management. You can disable location for what app for example. It shows you what app is using that permission and how long ago it used it.

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395593580985.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395593580985.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 323
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395593594755.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395593594755.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 311

fury683

Dec 20, 2010
MSP
I unlocked and finally upgraded to 4.4.2 on Tuesday the 18th. I had a four day weekend and was on my phone A LOT (because I wasn't at work), so I wouldn't consider it normal usage to compare with. I'm waiting patiently for my averages to level off now that I'm back at work and on normal patterns again.

Before I wiped I took a screenshot of my averages according to GSAM, and it was showing 15h7m (7h42m active) average battery life, with 5h3m (7h12m max) screen on time.

I am currently a little below that, 12h20m (7h33m active) average battery life, with 5h28m (5h17m max) SoT. I was on my phone basically all day Friday-Sunday and had it on and off the charger. I haven't really had a full cycle of waking up, using the phone all day, and going to bed yet.

The apps I am running now are almost all identical. I actually removed 2-3 of them after finding that Gravity Box could emulate the features of standalone apps that I was using.

I am not using Greenify (I didn't see any substantial gain from it), but I do have the Snapdragon Battery Guru.

Overall, I don't think it's worse.

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
This was my drain while I slept last night. That's even better than I thought it was. 4.4.2 BTW. I'm pretty sure I don't have any apps installed that haven't been updated since Kit Kat came out.

Having updated applications makes a huge difference.

Moto X developer edition

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395679346776.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395679346776.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 298
D

Darth

This was my drain while I slept last night. That's even better than I thought it was. 4.4.2 BTW. I'm pretty sure I don't have any apps installed that haven't been updated since Kit Kat came out.

Having updated applications makes a huge difference.

Moto X developer edition

Some have got down to 0.5 per hour drain on standby, but I never could. Our x is about 1 also. Its strange, cause its set up about the same as my n5 and it can get to 0.4 usually, not in airplane mode either.

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
The 5 is a beast on standby drain. I miss that. I'm not even going to try for less on the X. I just attribute it to the Touchless and Active Controls. Whether that's the case or not, who knows.

Moto X developer edition

D

Darth

The 5 is a beast on standby drain. I miss that. I'm not even going to try for less on the X. I just attribute it to the Touchless and Active Controls. Whether that's the case or not, who knows.

Moto X developer edition

That's part of it I'm sure. Maybe the radio? Who knows what else. LOL

Still.....better battery at the end of the day than my n5....with my usage.

An extremely light user may get more mileage with lower standby for sure, but doesn't really affect my wife. She charges over night regardless.

hlaraujo

Nov 8, 2012
Rio de Janeiro

Moto X developer edition

I have always wondered if touchless and active notifications were the ones to be blamed for the average 1%/h drain on standby but never did a test to try it out, until today
I charged my phone to 100%, turned off touchless controls and active notifications and let it rest through the night, when I woke up 5h and a half later (yes, I usually don't get much time of sleep), I was still on 100%, just I did when I had my N4
I guess these stuff take so much battery because they have to keep the phone "awake" all the time to recognize your voice and to know if your phone is upside down or in your pocket or whatever and as much as motorola made them separate CPUs to handle it with less battery consuptiom, they still take that 1%/h... Probably we would get a higher %/h if it wasn't for the 8 chip processor motorola came up with
Actually I even think that it has something/all to do with the high android OS usage that we get, and to be honest, I really don't mind getting 1%/h drain on standby overnight if I can wake up any time in the morning and ask to my phone to do almost anything I want or check my notifications without having to light up the whole screen, so I'm quite pleased with it

danny39

Jun 26, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have always wondered if touchless and active notifications were the ones to be blamed for the average 1%/h drain on standby but never did a test to try it out, until today
I charged my phone to 100%, turned off touchless controls and active notifications and let it rest through the night, when I woke up 5h and a half later (yes, I usually don't get much time of sleep), I was still on 100%, just I did when I had my N4
I guess these stuff take so much battery because they have to keep the phone "awake" all the time to recognize your voice and to know if your phone is upside down or in your pocket or whatever and as much as motorola made them separate CPUs to handle it with less battery consuptiom, they still take that 1%/h... Probably we would get a higher %/h if it wasn't for the 8 chip processor motorola came up with
Actually I even think that it has something/all to do with the high android OS usage that we get, and to be honest, I really don't mind getting 1%/h drain on standby overnight if I can wake up any time in the morning and ask to my phone to do almost anything I want or check my notifications without having to light up the whole screen, so I'm quite pleased with it

Now we just need to test it througout the day with touchless control and active notifications off

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Moto X developer edition