Change your APN settings!

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I do not live near a LTE area nor do i think ill be getting it anytime soon(i live in south new jersey). So i googled at&t hspa+ settings and found this forum that gave the settings for hspa+ and mms and rebooted my Skyrocket. Boom! Ping times down to 80 and speedtest.net app connects asap. Every single thing i do that involves internet is instant. If you dont have LTE in your area i highly recommend doing this.

Thanks. My Austin area is getting LTE any week now. In the meantime, we're still HSPA+.
I changed to settings linked to in your OP and it got my ping times better than they've been on any phone before. The speed may have increased a bit also.

shansmi

May 1, 2007
DFW
I am not sure why everyone (or a few) is having issues. I go to several H+ and Edge areas with no issues using the PTA APN. Some near my home area and some down in South Texas. I never had an issue. It depends on what is on your account. If you have PTA in the HSS, the others will not work and vice versa.

Last edited:

Phoneguy589

May 1, 2011
S.E. Florida
I tried wap.cingular and phone. Both allow me to access justin.tv but when I try to download from the market....I'm lucky if it's 220k per second. Should name the PTA apn PiT(A)rse)

opencipher

Feb 3, 2008
I'm in an LTE area and this is happening to me pretty frequently. Some times I can't even access google, but if I turn on and off my radio it works again. I can't access Justin TV..etc. Then turn radio off and on and it works. What are my options if i'm in LTE? I have to use PTA?

jmreed97

Jul 8, 2009
to prove that it's "at&t conspiracy" to make grandfathered user to switch...

Anyone using the PTA APN with the 2GB "Unlimited" Plan have issues going to sites like.. say www.justin.tv?

I personally think the PTA APN is restricted and has NOTHING to do with which plan someone has.

Find someone with a 2GB Plan and ask them to use the PTA APN and see if they can get to ... www.justin.tv

Works for me and I'm on the 2 gig plan...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App

mex2309

Nov 11, 2011
See Madmike23's new post on how to stabilize data and get MMS. I haven't seen any difference in speed issues between all the APNs.

netnerd

Dec 4, 2006
ATT California USA
first 2 test, when i just got the skyrocket LTE, apn pta not activated yet.
last 4 test, after apn pta activated.
before i got this LTE skyrocket, i never get speed over 5mb and ping never under 100ms!

shot_000001.jpg

Dxtra

May 27, 2010
I think the best thing to do is call at&t, the more people call the faster they'll fix it . I've called and they told me they never heard of the problem. Really? I'll try the apn settings for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

spjuggalojoe

using att apn's from tmo g2

I live in a rural area where I get VERY limited cell coverage (which until tmo and at&t dropped their roaming agreements in 2008 was never an issue) and am trying to use att apn's to connect to 3g and hspa. I have tried several combinations listed in this forum and elsewhere on the net, with mixed results. At best, I've achieved edge service at a whopping 12kbps (vs tmo's 7!) but can't send or receive mms while connected to att's apn's. One other thing that is strange is whenver i change the MNC from the default 260 to the suggested 410, the apn profile disappears from the list. Any help would be appreciated, I can see an att tower from my front door, or walk about a mile uphill and get tmo hspa, but can't get either at home.

thanks, joe
o yeah running cm7.1 on HTC Vision

jgivesit

May 7, 2011
This may not be the right place to post but with all the talk of APNs and MMS, I figured its worth a shot. Have any of you run into an issue where when attempting to MMS a picture, it is compressed and sent as a video? I can't get my phone to actually send a picture, they all go through as videos. Same with incoming pictures sent from others...they come in as videos. So strange and frustrating!:mad:

00mred00

Aug 11, 2010
Princeton Tx
They go in and out as multimedia and are read as such. From what I understand it is a carrier issue but using an app like chomp SMS or hand cent is a good work around
This may not be the right place to post but with all the talk of APNs and MMS, I figured its worth a shot. Have any of you run into an issue where when attempting to MMS a picture, it is compressed and sent as a video? I can't get my phone to actually send a picture, they all go through as videos. Same with incoming pictures sent from others...they come in as videos. So strange and frustrating!:mad:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When i started using my Skyrocket i noticed my data was very patchy(would work here and there and not let me open certain websites and speedtest.net app was not connecting at all). I looked into the APN settings and noticed it said "PTA". I looked into this and found out that it was for the new LTE network. I do not live near a LTE area nor do i think ill be getting it anytime soon(i live in south new jersey). So i googled at&t hspa+ settings and found this forum that gave the settings for hspa+ and mms and rebooted my Skyrocket. Boom! Ping times down to 80 and speedtest.net app connects asap. Every single thing i do that involves internet is instant. If you dont have LTE in your area i highly recommend doing this.

Data speeds vary so widely depending on 100's of factors. The "speedtest" apps themselves are barely reliable, you can run them 5 times in a row and get huge variations. You can't get true results based on one 5 second download. One time I get 10ms ping and 5 seconds later I get 9,500ms. One time I get .2Kbps and 5 seconds later I get 9MBps download.

Most of these speed test results and their fixes are just smoke and mirrors and the "results" are totally meaningless because they will vary from one SECOND to the next.
    Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1109983

I live in Maine, we don't even have "4g", let alone lte. I have not messed with my APN settings and data has been flawless for me. I get 3.5-4mb consistently at my house (3g) where I used t get anywhere from 500kb-2.5mb, with a rare spike of 3mb. I also have yet to try anything data wise on my phone that was "blocked" or didn't work.
    Will someone do me a favor?

Someone not using the pta apn, ie someone using the "phone" apn, send a MMS and let me know the results.

I can only send MMS when using the pta APN. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Did I mess up the settings?

I also have experienced the same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium