[MOD] Properly disable Carrier-IQ

Search This thread

insaneoctane

Dec 10, 2010
Los Angeles
I have a newbie question.if I perform the actions in this thread to remove Carrier IQ will that change the status of my phone to modified?
I renamed the 3 files per OP to.. Bak
Then renamed the library. So file per above to. Bak
Carrier IQ is disabled, yeah! But now my phone shows modified. Must it show modified?

hoopsbwc34

Jul 25, 2006
What services in TB did you freeze?
I can find the CIQ services. What are the tagged as?
Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

I have the same question, I don't see any IQ* apps in TB.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

I have a newbie question.if I perform the actions in this thread to remove Carrier IQ will that change the status of my phone to modified?
I renamed the 3 files per OP to.. Bak
Then renamed the library. So file per above to. Bak
Carrier IQ is disabled, yeah! But now my phone shows modified. Must it show modified?

What do you mean by modified? Do you mean your flash counter incremented? That should only happen if you flashed a non-stock recovery.

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
What do you mean by modified? Do you mean your flash counter incremented? That should only happen if you flashed a non-stock recovery.

system status shows modified. yes it must show that when you remove CIQ. That is not the flash counter. Doesn't matter that it shows modified unless you use that allplay where they block you if modified. If you just are concerned for warranty you flash back unmodified and that status goes away. its not like the flash counter where it trips and doesn't reset itself.

hoopsbwc34

Jul 25, 2006
I used root66 via odin to root, and don't have any of the IQ* apks to uninstall. Ran voodoo carrier iq and it shows IQ is inactive but that I still have one .so lib and the com.carrieriq.tmobile package? What is strange is that battery stats plus shows com.carrieriq.tmobile.Wakelock as my number one source of partial wakelocks. What can I do about that?

I'd love to use mrrobinsons debloater, but I don't really want to flash a non-stock recovery and have to worry about the flash counter... so I'm just trying to do it all via stock with root. At least for now.

Baddude8

Dec 25, 2011
So I ran voodoo carrier iq detector and said there was still iq present but seemed "inactive"

So by succesfully removing file in system/lib (file name in 2nd pic)voilla CIQ completely removed test for yourself.

Hope everyone appreciates this not my find just the same spot it always is even on my gs4g I believe mr-x- might be the finder not totally sure just giving back to the community

1st pic- ran voodoo carrier detector! (Free in playstore) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simplecarrieriqdetector
2nd pic- file name and location to remove for complete removal!!! :D
3rd pic- ran voodoo carrier detector again and VOILLA CIQ COMPLETELY REMOVED!!! :D

I did exactly as you did but now my phone is unusable with a message "Unfortunately, System Manager Application has stopped."
Any way to fix it?
Thanks.

jeremyds45

Aug 29, 2013
I just did this the wrong way it looks like, removed the lib.iq etc files from the system after rooting my note 3 and now I'm in a boot loop, can I do anything to fix this?? I have the files moved elsewhere, but not where they should be apparently. Thanks for any and all help! Also I don't have a custom recovery... That was the next step

Att note 3 on 4.4.2

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Probably best if you ask in the note3 forums. This is for the S3.

But you have a few options. Refreshing your firmware via Odin is probably the easiest. Or flash TWRP with Odin, then reboot recovery and use the built in file manager to replace the files.

Jedbot5000

Dec 28, 2007
I'd hesitate to remove the library (the only thing it detects after you pull the apps out) because something else might depend on it. If you have a working recovery its easy enough to test though - move it out of the way, reboot. If it bootloops, boot recovery and put it back. (And let me know so I can update the first post..)

I've got a new Note 4 on T-Mobile...Have it rooted and most of the tools referred to on this site installed. New to android...switching from iphone...what's the best way to create a reliable recovery? Once I have everything set how I like it...is there a program on PC I should use besides Kies to be able to fully restore my phone in case I mess it up trying to clean out all the bloatware like CarrierIQ? Maybe there's a good guide someone could point me to?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Carrier IQ doesn't actually turn off when you disable it (the setting is hidden under System Settings -> Back up and reset.) If you check ps, battery stats, etc you will see it is still running to gather private data and send it off.

Fortunately, it is easier to disable on SGSIII than other devices. No framework mods needed!

To completely disable it (and remove the option from settings) you just need to remove the apps from /system/app. (Freezing is not enough, as it will still run in the background.)

Just remove these 3 files from /system/app and reboot to wipe it out completely:
    IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed_TMO.apk
    IQToggle.signed_TMO.apk
    IQ_OOB_TMO.apk

(If you are feeling paranoid like me, you can just move them to a different directory - ie /system/app-bak. So long as they are gone from /system/app, Android won't run them.)

If you watch logcat on the first boot, you will see the permissions disappear:
    W/PackageManager( 535): Removing dangling permission: com.carrieriq.tmobile.permission.IPC from package com.carrieriq.tmobile

And when you launch the backup page:
    D/PrivacySettings( 967): Package not found : IQToggle

(The error shows on logcat, but the backup prefs work fine without it.)
    I think most of us who did a custom Rom already removed it :)

And everyone else didn't.. so..
    So I ran voodoo carrier iq detector and said there was still iq present but seemed "inactive"

So by succesfully removing file in system/lib (file name in 2nd pic)voilla CIQ completely removed test for yourself.

Hope everyone appreciates this not my find just the same spot it always is even on my gs4g I believe mr-x- might be the finder not totally sure just giving back to the community

1st pic- ran voodoo carrier detector! (Free in playstore) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simplecarrieriqdetector
    2nd pic- file name and location to remove for complete removal!!! :D
    3rd pic- ran voodoo carrier detector again and VOILLA CIQ COMPLETELY REMOVED!!! :D

Carrier IQ doesn't actually turn off when you disable it (the setting is hidden under System Settings -> Back up and reset.) If you check ps, battery stats, etc you will see it is still running to gather private data and send it off.

Fortunately, it is easier to disable on SGSIII than other devices. No framework mods needed!

To completely disable it (and remove the option from settings) you just need to remove the apps from /system/app. (Freezing is not enough, as it will still run in the background.)

Just remove these 3 files from /system/app and reboot to wipe it out completely:
    IQ-tmobile-release-unsigned.signed_TMO.apk
    IQToggle.signed_TMO.apk
    IQ_OOB_TMO.apk

(If you are feeling paranoid like me, you can just move them to a different directory - ie /system/app-bak. So long as they are gone from /system/app, Android won't run them.)

If you watch logcat on the first boot, you will see the permissions disappear:
    W/PackageManager( 535): Removing dangling permission: com.carrieriq.tmobile.permission.IPC from package com.carrieriq.tmobile

And when you launch the backup page:
    D/PrivacySettings( 967): Package not found : IQToggle

(The error shows on logcat, but the backup prefs work fine without it.)

I think most of us who did a custom Rom already removed it :)

Cool

:D:eek::D

Did this for JB t-mobile and it worked. Thanks