Cannot upgrade rooted magic 32a...no way, no how!

Search This thread

Catlish

Mar 30, 2012
Zulia
It says FASTBOOT and lists

<Vol Down> HBoot Mode
<SEND> Reset Device
<ACTION> Restart to HBoot
<MENU> Power Down

I think you misunderstand, tell me EVERY SINGLE character that says there, if you can upload a picture or something, it would be much better

remember to tell me the other things I asked

LAFitz

Mar 5, 2011
Sorry. I failed to provide this:

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.76.0009 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-6.35.08.29
Dec 8 2009, 17:38:48

FASTBOOT

<Vol Down> HBoot Mode
<SEND> Reset Device
<ACTION> Restart to HBoot
<MENU> Power Down

LAFitz

Mar 5, 2011
gain, here are the other things you asked for with apologies for how little I know:

I have Root Explorer installed and am able to access the SD Card. But don't have /system/data folder. I do have system/app but can't figure out how to COPY any of the apps listed to the SD Card.

As for the ROM, I don't have a clue which will work on my device. I do have Ginger Yoshi on my PC. Should I put it on the SD Card?

Catlish

Mar 30, 2012
Zulia
Search this!

p.s. I got root months ago using Universal Androot

perfect! for now, look for this

Hey, i recomend you SFM 3.0.2 (becouse for ginger yoshi is moooore work to do) ROM (look in devolp section, you'll also need one kernel (they're in the post for that). This steps are for that specific ROM, for ginger yoshi are different

put sfm & kernel on your sd, also download:
the engineering SPL 1.76.2007
Amon RA's recovery (RA-hero-v1.6.2)
Radio 6.35.10.18

Look for those things on the devolpment sections (use the search tool)
the recovery (i think) is in the htc hero version

without those files, you're death

you'll need more, but let me look those for you

Remember to read and check that the files are the same!!! you can find all those files, just reand and search

Catlish

Mar 30, 2012
Zulia
Once you have that, do this

Ok, first check this!

-----------------------------------------

In your phone, download and install
-Terminal emulator

You need to have in your SD the following things:
-SFM 3.0.2 ROM (.zip)
-(the kernel of your preference) (.zip)
-Amon RA's RA-Hero-v1.6.2 recovery (.zip)

Now, you'll need this in your pc:
-"The roottools" (sdk and drivers for magic)
-6.35.10.18 Radio (.img)
-Eng SPL 1.76.2007 (.img)
-Amon RA's RA-Hero-v1.6.2 recovery (.img)(This one must be decompressed)

(ensure the files are zip and img as correspond = unzip files that need to be unzipped, the others DON'T)

Uncompress Roottools.rar and you have the folder "roottools"
Put that folder in C:\ (your hard disc drive = computer > local disc C:\)
and now put the 6.35.10.18 Radio (.img), RA-Hero-v1.6.2 recovery (.img) and the Eng SPL 1.76.2007 (.img) in the folder C:\roottools\windows\

-------------------------------------------

Now, rename the things this way (without moving them)

ROM SFM..........zip > rom.zip
(your kernel).....zip > kernel.zip
Radio 6.35.......img > radio.img
Ra-hero-v1.6...img > recovery.img
Eng SPL 1.76....img > hboot.img
Ra-hero-v1.6....zip > recovery.zip

------------------------------------------

For now, let's leave it this way, and here's one more question:

wich ROM you want to use?

there is a few steps to keep going, tell me, you can go to old radios 3.22 an install ginger yoshi or the new radios (but... to go new ones, you must try a lot to finally do it, is very complicated) for SFM

in any way, search for a thread called How to upgrade to 1.76 spl and 6.35.10.18 radio (and revert too)

remember, i told you to download new radios and spl, (for sfm) check ginger yoshi's post to check wich radios use..

then, following that thread you can upgrade...

there's also an easier way to change the radios check this spanish post

Ah, only remember this

THERE IS A BIG RISK TO BRICK YOUR PHONE WHILE UPDATING RADIOS

put it that way to be shire you'll read it ^

tell me what you gon'na do and i will help you

cheers

LAFitz

Mar 5, 2011
Hi Cesar,

Sorry for the delay...I went out for the evening. In any event, thanks for your guidance. We seem to be getting somewhere. However, I have a question: I went here to find SFM 3.0.2 but can't find a download link --> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1317368 ... just a description. I'm wondering if there's some procedure to use on XDA-developers to get ROMs etc that I don't know about. Call me a dummy if there is...and if not, can you give me a pointer about where to acquire the items on your list. By the way, I have found the ROM for downloading on a search but all sites require a membership. Is there any way to avoid shelling out any more money than I already have for this phone?

Laurie

LAFitz

Mar 5, 2011
Second question: What would the kernel of my preference be? I don't even know what a "kernel" is let alone which I prefer?

Laurie

Catlish

Mar 30, 2012
Zulia
Hmmm...

Call me a dummy if there is...and if not

Dummy! :p

Hmmm.... there are two BIG mistakes - 1) that ROM is for the HTC Hero - 2) The download links are there as tiles (e.g. SFM 3.0.2

Any way, have you readed the link I told you yesterday?

What about the radio and spl, you allready found it?

REMEMBER, RADIO AND SPL MUST BE FOR 32A HTC MAGIC

Also remember this: You may brick your phone while changing radio and spl, I WILL NOT take any responsibilities for that, I only will help you through the steps

BTW, here is the link of THE RIGHT SFM ROM http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1025330

Now then, download the rom and I recomend you the OC Kernel (is everything in the post, just clic the names (eg: Kernel OC

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Lets keep going, Shall we?

for now, you need the recovery (Amon RA's Ra-Hero-v1.6.2.zip) in your phone and terminal emulator, now do this:

Sorry, i get wrong somewhere:

In your phone put the recovery (extract it from the zip) and rename the Ra-hero-v1.6.2.img file as recovery.img

now, put the mem in the phone and go to terminal emulator app

now write this (dont write things on the "()")

su
(press enter)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
(press enter)

it will take a few seconds and.... TADA!

now you have a Recovery, for get sure, turn off the phone and press Home + Power and keep holding it untill the phone passes the splash (phone first bootimage)

and there is your new recovery, verify the number in the bottom is: RA-Hero-v1.6.2

-----------------------

For now, lets leave it that way, don't do anything else untill you have the rom and all that!

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

If this help you, here are the links of SFM ROM

ROM
http://i.minus.com/1329822894/cg41JT30MBpGK5MTQfL3ow/dUJ2cxOfSEnRg.zip
Kernel
http://i.minus.com/1329823578/Xobd7Ft7Ut_X4ZoJXQ_2OQ/ddVUgnyTAguC.zip

sup, did you installed the recovery yet?

Last edited:

LAFitz

Mar 5, 2011
Hello Cesar,

I'm hopelessly lost. Tried to flash the recovery PRECISELY as per your instructions -

"...you need the recovery (Amon RA's Ra-Hero-v1.6.2.zip) in your phone and terminal emulator, now do this:

In your phone put the recovery (extract it from the zip) and rename the Ra-hero-v1.6.2.img file as recovery.img

su
(press enter)
(press enter)

I get the messages "Executing recovery" and "...granted Superuser permission"...but no TADA! Hours later my screen remains frozen on the terminal.

In addition, I cannot even manage to find or download even half of what you've listed although I've been trying for the last 10 hours. So I won't waste any more of your time. You've gone out of your way to help me but I am going afraid it will be better if I donate my phone to Goodwill and pick up something newer. I'm really sorry for putting you to all this trouble...

Laurie

Catlish

Mar 30, 2012
Zulia
Here to help you!

Hello Cesar,

I'm hopelessly lost. Tried to flash the recovery PRECISELY as per your instructions -

"...you need the recovery (Amon RA's Ra-Hero-v1.6.2.zip) in your phone and terminal emulator, now do this:

su
(press enter)
(press enter)

I get the messages "Executing recovery" and "...granted Superuser permission"...but no TADA! Hours later my screen remains frozen on the terminal.

In addition, I cannot even manage to find or download even half of what you've listed although I've been trying for the last 10 hours. So I won't waste any more of your time. You've gone out of your way to help me but I am going afraid it will be better if I donate my phone to Goodwill and pick up something newer. I'm really sorry for putting you to all this trouble...

Laurie

Never mind, I'm here for help, no matter what

only one last thing: Try to search in youtube for how to upgrade your phone to android 2.1 or 2.2, that must be fine (and i think there's no need to root or anything :D)

Glag to help you! but...

If you want to keep going trough this process, send me a Private Message n.n

Remember to read my signature!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Adiós y gracias por su visita n.n
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-