Droid 4 tethering question

Search This thread

NiveusLuna

Jan 14, 2011
Wylie
On T-Mobile, their phones' built in tethering switches you to a different APN to inform the carrier that you're tethering.

I've heard rumors that Verizon uses deep packet inspection to guess whether you're tethering or not. A Verizon salesperson told me that they can guess only based on the amount of data you use.

Which brings me to my question:

Does the Droid 4 switch you to a different APN when you tether? Does Verizon use DPI? Or do they make a scientific wild-ass guess based on the amount of data you use?

Thanks, guys.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
While I have no idea, I have done light tethering on my D4 and haven't had an issue. I've also used my OG Droid as my main source of internet for a week while my cable was down.

At the moment, tethering w/out a tether plan is a bit of a risk, although I've never heard of anyone on VZW getting in trouble for it. Anyone heard anything different?

Dagrog

Jan 18, 2012
When you tether does the Verizon screen pop up? On my D2G stock tethering was impossible without Verizon knowing. I'm looking at a D4 and no tethering is a dealbreaker. It's for occasional data (light usage) while on long trips.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
USB tethering works without any hassle. Wifi tethering does an entitlement check, but if you're rooted you can disable the check.

If you use the wifi tethering app, there's no check either.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

NiveusLuna

Jan 14, 2011
Wylie
I haven't changed the MTU, and USB tethering seems to work fine. Verizon didn't even try to upsell me when I launched my laptop's web browser.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

wkearney99

Dec 19, 2007
Bethesda, MD
I rooted my D4 and installed the 'Wifi Tether" app and it works great. Used it to connect an iPad2 and a win7 laptop. Using this lets you have more than one device connect through it. Using USB would only have that one computer connected.

raw33

Aug 26, 2010
How do you actually do USB tethering? Do you select PC mode?

To use USB Tethering you obviously need a USB cable connected to your computer, then go to Tethering & Mobile Hotspot, and click on USB tethering.

Also note you also need to have WiFi disabled to use USB tethering. If WiFi is on the USB Tethering option will be disabled.

icebear8

Aug 5, 2010
Des moines ia
well not with a Droid 4 but with my Samsung stratosphere which is a 4G phone for verizon, i would use PDAnet and connect it by USB. i use about 15-25gigs a month and i have never had any problems. i don't torrent with my phone but i use it to download my PSN games that i buy from the store and also use it for online games like Swtor and WoW as my home internet is very very slow compared to my 4G speeds i get.

but also i do all my heavy tether use during late night (12AM-6AM) i never got throttled or anything before.

i used Fox Fi for my wireless tether app but lately i been having problems with it and it kicks me off 4G and i have to restart my phone but that is only for wireless tether