[BUILD] **Complete FroYo Bundle** FRX07.1 - Maintenance Release

Search This thread

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
I've installed SD Booster and set the cache to 256 kb.

I believe it has improved the reset situation, but not eliminated them. I'm still getting 2 or 3 resets a day (vs ~10).

I'll keep playing I guess - sure would like to figure out what is causing it. Anyone know of better logs to look at than dropbox (not revealing much)?

Checkout my Speed Improvments thread. Perhaps that will help? I think I should probably add the cache topic as well. Results seem to vary drastically depending on the SD card. Might want to try different values to see if it makes any more of a difference - AFAIK the lowest setting is 128kb.

As for logs, with these types of resets (within Android) you should not lose any logs at all. Not sure to be honest, but I would think logcat would still roll, although that log does scroll off the buffer pretty quick (as they all do, but logcat seems to be the quickest one to overrun its buffer).

I'm kind of wondering if it is your SD card in general - have you tried a different card? Could be the time it takes to write on your SD is killing everything, and if the system hangs up, killall zygote is sent and boom... back to the boot animation.

Reactions: argenisaz

eruisi

Nov 28, 2008
Cupertino
Amazing development work. Really appreciate it!

One minor question: I installed Talking Tom in this Android and couldn't get Tom hear my voice and play back in a funny way. Other features work fine.

Anyone know why or is there a workaround?

Thanks

yoyo81

May 8, 2010
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try. I have to find another microsd card somewhere.

But just as a clarification, i'm not getting the killall zygote to the animation screen. I'm getting full on resets into winmo. (I have seen the behavior you're speaking of, but not nearly as often as the full reset into winmo).

I'm kind of wondering if it is your SD card in general - have you tried a different card? Could be the time it takes to write on your SD is killing everything, and if the system hangs up, killall zygote is sent and boom... back to the boot animation.

argenisaz

May 2, 2010
El Tigrito, Anzoátegui
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try. I have to find another microsd card somewhere.

But just as a clarification, i'm not getting the killall zygote to the animation screen. I'm getting full on resets into winmo. (I have seen the behavior you're speaking of, but not nearly as often as the full reset into winmo).

I used to have a soft reboot each and every time I installed or updated an app from Market.

Installed SD Booster, set cache to 256 Kb and up until now everything works perfect! I even dare say the phone is more responsive!

Thanks!

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Amazing development work. Really appreciate it!

One minor question: I installed Talking Tom in this Android and couldn't get Tom hear my voice and play back in a funny way. Other features work fine.

Anyone know why or is there a workaround?

Thanks

Everyone has issues with this app. I don't use it, I don't get the point. Is there a use for this app? I might try to troubleshoot it if there is some use case, but I can't see one.

If you want to troubleshoot on your own, perhaps booting Android with a call into voicemail (perhaps on speakerphone) will help. Keep the call going while you boot Android. This was an old trick used back in the day when there was issues where the mic wasn't properly initialized.

I'm sure the new audio routing code will resolve this issue, assuming it ever stabilizes :p.

Now let's be careful here. Resets to WinMo are kernel panics, almost 100% of the time. Resets within Android (back to the boot animation) all stem from the system hanging and becoming unresponsive. Not sure the exact metrics, but if the system is unreachable for a certain period of time, it will force the phone to reset itself.

Luky522

Jul 30, 2010
Sokolov
Hi, Is there someone who can please help me with DroidExplorer, I still can't get it to work (I know, I'm noob in things like that). Thanks a lot.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Hi, Is there someone who can please help me with DroidExplorer, I still can't get it to work (I know, I'm noob in things like that). Thanks a lot.

Might want to explain the problems you're having with it.

Is it the USB drivers? Did you use PDA.net as directed? I'm assuming this is Windows? What actually is failing? Where are you getting stuck...? Do any devices show!?!?!

yoyo81

May 8, 2010
So I am experiencing kernel panics? That does not sound good. I can't imagine me executing some code path that is unique. I know there are others experiencing the full resets into winmo. Like I said, I didn't have this problem in FRX06 - and i've reinstalled data.img a few times as well as formatted the SD card using HP Tool.

You would think a kernel panic would leave remnants of something in the logs, but I haven't been able to find any. I'll keep digging.

Now let's be careful here. Resets to WinMo are kernel panics, almost 100% of the time. Resets within Android (back to the boot animation) all stem from the system hanging and becoming unresponsive. Not sure the exact metrics, but if the system is unreachable for a certain period of time, it will force the phone to reset itself.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
So I am experiencing kernel panics? That does not sound good. I can't imagine me executing some code path that is unique. I know there are others experiencing the full resets into winmo. Like I said, I didn't have this problem in FRX06 - and i've reinstalled data.img a few times as well as formatted the SD card using HP Tool.

You would think a kernel panic would leave remnants of something in the logs, but I haven't been able to find any. I'll keep digging.

Well resets to WinMo, you'll only get logs from Dropbox/ramconsole. You won't get logs any other way...

Kernel panics can happen for many reasons. Even things like a bad SD card could cause it. Obviously kernel panics should never happen, but our kernel is far from perfect :p. In reality, the kernel should be hardened against anything that could cause a panic, it should just generate an error for userland to deal with.

Make sure you're on the newest kernel & rootfs.

prexzone

Apr 17, 2011
Hello guys, my internet stopped working n i realized the 3G sign is gone. i tried turning my phone off n back on but still the same problem. i cant update anything or even receive mms. can anyone help me out?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Hello guys, my internet stopped working n i realized the 3G sign is gone. i tried turning my phone off n back on but still the same problem. i cant update anything or even receive mms. can anyone help me out?

So after a full reboot? You said you turned the "phone off n back on" but that to me could just mean putting the device to sleep and waking it back up, all within Android.

You could try flipping airplane mode on/off. If that fails, reboot. If that fails, new data.img I guess? If that fails, pillage and start over. If that fails, throw your phone out the window :D.

Reactions: prexzone

teemo

Nov 18, 2007
Kolding

You will find the panic-logs in
/data/system/dropbox/SYSTEM_LAST_KMSG@xxxx.txt.gz

They will look something like this:
Code:
[  769.691131] SMD: ch 7 CLOSED -> CLOSING
[  769.691375] SMD: ch 7 CLOSING -> OPENING
[  769.691436] kernel BUG at arch/arm/mach-msm/smd.c:317!
[  769.691497] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
[  769.693450] SMD: ch 7 OPENING -> OPENED
[  769.693511] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception
[  769.693542] Rebooting in 7 seconds..<6>msm_proc_comm_reset: Soft reset done.

I believe the smd(7) is a well known error, but don't know if dev's are looking into it yet. Try to apply some of the tweaks that came up in this forum the last few days, they seem to help on both speed and stability.

smartidoos

Jul 7, 2009
in the Netherlands
xdaforums.com
Hello ,first of all thx for this great android for mijn Tp2 ,it works fine ,only I got one annoying problem ,Is it possible to turn of the led notification ,it always burn and i think it is also draining my battery.
Thx

Smartidoos,netherlands t-mobile rhodium tp2 energierom/froyo

latinohot

Hello ,first of all thx for this great android for mijn Tp2 ,it works fine ,only I got one annoying problem ,Is it possible to turn of the led notification ,it always burn and i think it is also draining my battery.
Thx

try the a newer kernel, that did the trick on my tilt2
i think i'm using the one dated 8/19, but don't quote me:rolleyes:
I just checked and yes I'm using 20110819_183957

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Thx

It's not draining your battery, it's indicating sleep state.

As was mentioned previously, update to the newest kernel.

yoyo81

May 8, 2010
Thanks for the pointer. Believe it or not, no panics appear in my logs. I am definitely seeing full resets into winmo, but the logs don't show anything about a kernel panic, or anything else to show a reset.

Does anyone know the boot sequence, or a string I can search for to indicate the booting of xandroid in the SYSTEM_LAST_KMSG? That way I can find the last statement before the boot sequence and see if it shines some light on what is causing the reset?

Thanks!

You will find the panic-logs in
/data/system/dropbox/SYSTEM_LAST_KMSG@xxxx.txt.gz
ability.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Thanks for the pointer. Believe it or not, no panics appear in my logs. I am definitely seeing full resets into winmo, but the logs don't show anything about a kernel panic, or anything else to show a reset.

Does anyone know the boot sequence, or a string I can search for to indicate the booting of xandroid in the SYSTEM_LAST_KMSG? That way I can find the last statement before the boot sequence and see if it shines some light on what is causing the reset?

Thanks!

Probably would be best to just post your logs so others can review them.

My .02.

detule

Jan 30, 2010
I have updated to the newest kernel,(htc-msm-linux @ 20110819_183957) I wonder what Happend ,but the led notification
is stil burning ,but is it possible to turn this off.

Thx

Smartidoos

If you are indeed on the latest kernel you should be seeing a solid LED under one (or both) of the following scenarios:

1. Your phone is plugged in.
2. You have not mounted the updated liblights library and you have a pending notification in your taskbar (SMS, or e-mail).

Anything else is borderline impossible at this point. Verify a few times that indeed you are booting the latest kernel. If this is truly the case and your behavior falls outside the two cases above, then post a dmesg (or download the app GetLogs that is on this form and post complete logs.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FRX07.1 is here!!

This is a maintenance release - basically taking the newest components to make a completely up-to-date (as of Sept. 1).

Quite a lot has changed since FRX06 - the install process hasn't really, but be sure to read the changelog in the next post and the caveats in post #3!

<<<This is a link to the... FAQ Click it!!>>>​

I have created a complete bundle of FroYo with a stable kernel from GIT (August 19 / 1348), and rootfs from GIT (Sept. 2).

Please, feel free to DONATE to the XDAndroid project!

Every little bit helps!

Directions:

1. Download the full bundle (zip). (Updated September 1 2011)

If instead you just want the system.ext2 (zip) (Updated July 15 2011) file by itself... Don't download this if you're not sure! Grab the full bundle!

2. Extract it. You’ll see a folder, FRX07.1, copy its contents to the root of your SD card. If you want to run Android from a folder instead of all the files on the root of the card, follow the steps below.

3. Go into the STARTUPS folder. Grab the appropriate startup.txt for your device (if you don't know what device you have, you should read the FAQ), and move it to the root of the card (or where you run haret.exe from. If you want to change the location of the build, put a rel_path= statement in the cmdline section of the startup.txt. Mine is located two folders deep on the SD, so my rel_path=Androids/TP2Ref)

4. Screen calibration - you have three choices:
    • Re-use an old ts-calibration file if you have it and you know it's good.
    • Download the ts-calibration.zip file and extract it to where you put the rest of the files (root of SD or in a folder - make sure it all stays together!)
    • Manually calibrate - boot with no ts-calibration file and watch the boot process - you'll be asked to hit 5 points to calibrate the screen. If you have issues calibrating, try an older kernel (1225 works well) Once you have the calibration file hold on to it (make 15 copies if it's a good one :p), reboot & go back to the newest kernel!

6. Run haret.exe.. Profit! :D

Let it settle out on the first boot. Many have reported they had to reboot basically because it was so slow - if you let it sit for about 10 mins so the media scanner can go thru everything, etc. it will be much more pleasurable experience. If you want adb in and watch the processes via top, you'll see why the phone seems so slow - there's lots of background processes cranking because this is the first boot ;).

Troubleshooting:
    Please read the... FAQ
    If you have any issues with the kernel, feel free to change it:
    There are some devices that are having issues with the newest kernels. Please see the kernel autobuild service to get archived kernels. Once you download a replacement kernel, go to where you run haret.exe from - remove your old zImage/modules-xxxxx.tar.gz. Take the new zImage/modules-xxxxx.tar.gz and replace the old ones, same folder - where you run haret.exe from. Make sure the ‘zImage’ is named just that. Do not rename the modules file, do not extract it - should be in .tar.gz format.

See Incremental Updates for more information on updating the kernel and other components.

Random issues can often be solved by forcing the system to create a new data.img. If you're worried about losing data (all user data is stored in the data.img!!), Titanium Backup works quite well. If you wish, you can rename the data.img to something else, and let the system create a new one - just to see if it resolves your problem.

Similarly, if you wish try formatting your SD card - I prefer to use the HP Tool - do a full format, FAT32.

Even though this build is considered fairly stable, you are more than likely going to run into issues. The next post will address issues particular to this build - PLEASE READ THESE before asking questions! Feel free to post questions in this thread, I will do my best to address them. Big thanks to stinebd for releasing the system image, and of course the other developers for their hard work on making these kernels available.
    stinebd's Changelog:

stinebd said:
    Here’s a new release for you, folks. This is a major release with a ton of changes, new features, and fixes. Our friend hyc/highlandsun did most of the heavy lifting for this release. Highlights include a rewritten RIL with support for world phones and greatly improved CDMA support; fixes for the media codecs; fixes for MMS on Sprint; increased security with the Superuser app.

A list of changes is included below. The FRX07 system image is available for download now, and will require the use of a new rootfs image, also available now. Additionally, we have a new bundle containing everything needed to enjoy a full FRX07 system.

Note: Due to the incredibly long list of changes, this is a somewhat condensed, terse changelog describing only the overall scope of the changes.

FRX07:
    • frameworks/base:
      • Major frameworks changes for CDMA/GSM dual-mode worldphone support. (hyc)
      • Fixes for data connection handling to improve startup time. (hyc)
      • Fixes for wifi handling to avoid issues on hanged drivers. (hyc)
      • Stagefreight (media codecs) fixes. (hyc/viruscrazy)
      • Fixes for Sprint’s wonky MMS markup structure. (hyc)
      • Fix MediaScanner not finding audio files (including ringtones) in system.ext2
    • hardware/libhardware_legacy:
      • Minor GPS driver fixes. (Alex[sp3dev])
      • Rename wifi interfaces to wlan0 on all devices (hyc)
    • hardware/xdandroid-ril: Major RIL refactoring for improved performance on all devices, and added CDMA/GSM dual-mode worldphone support. (hyc)
    • packages/apps/Gallery3D: Switched back to Gallery3D as the gallery app (closes bug #111)
    • packages/apps/Mms: Fixes for Sprint’s wonky MMS markup structure. (hyc)
    • packages/apps/Phone: Fixes for CDMA/GSM dual-mode worldphone support. (hyc)
    • packages/apps/Superuser: Added the Superuser package for authorizing su privileges. This, along with our signed builds, provides greatly increased security for the end user (mostly against malicious apps from the Market).
    • system/extras/su: Added as a dependency for the Superuser package
    • vendor/qcom/android-open: Include missing stagefright codec symbols. (hyc/viruscrazy)

To coincide with the FRX07 system image, the following rootfs changes have been made:
    • init.froyo.rc modifications...
      • Adjust wpa_supplicant service for the new abstraction provided by libhardware_legacy, as well as interface rename
      • Abstract the hciattach service to provide bluetooth support on both chipsets
    • Rename wifi interface to wlan0 on all devices
    • apns-conf.xml updated
    • keymaps completely reorganized, and RHOD end-call key has been remapped to be the Home key in Android.
    • default.prop: set ro.secure=1 to lock down the adb shell - su can be used with the Superuser app to authorize root access in adb if needed.
    Layman's Changelog​

(As in, the changelog I wrote :p)​

FRX07.1 Changelog:

• RHOD - all buttons on the front no longer wake the device. Only the power button wakes the device now.
    • Updated to the newest RIL
    • hyc's modified libs for video now baked in - *most* HQ YouTube videos (and other HQ videos) should finally work!
    • RHOD & TOPA - Userland (Android) now controls the LED by default now. If you need to debug sleep, you will have to change the behavior manually. See Detule's post on this topic.
    • Facebook sync should now work, out-of-box.

FRX07 Changelog:
    • Updated RIL (thanks hyc!) - this covers many different bugs that were in the old RIL - I'm only going to cover the major ones...
      • CDMA now works correctly (for the most part). force_cdma (and north_am_dialing) is now deprecated (not needed/ignored!)
      • You can boot with a SIM in on a CDMA device and choose your GSM or CDMA on the fly under Settings.
      • Location based on towers now works on CDMA.
      • 1xRTT now displays correctly, but I never seem to get EVDO Rev.a... I always get 0. This is represented by a 3g icon, as this is what the Android framework provides.
      • Full MMS support! Please see this page for configuration instructions. Will need help fleshing out the list of carriers folks!
      • Spotty service, switching towers, etc should no longer cause the dreaded SoD (Sleep of Death) condition!
    • (Basic audio) 3.5mm support for RHOD400/500
    • Droidwall works out of the box now
    • Keyboard backlight now fades in/out
    • Gallery3D back in! Picasa Web Sync comes with it ;)
    • A couple new apps added to AndroidApps folder:
      • rpierce99's app GetLogs
      • Titanium Backup
    Yay! No more "when is FRX07 coming out?" posts!

And to that effect, I would like to personally apologize to everyone for how long it took. Life has been crazy busy the past couple months. Hopefully we'll get GRX01 out in a more timely manner. :D
    Caveats:

• BT - works now! But audio doesn't route. See this thread if you're feeling adventurous and want to play with/don't mind using some unstable/incomplete code...
      NOTE: BT must be disabled in WinMo before booting Android or else you'll run into all sorts of odd issues...
    • WEP on wifi doesn't work. I heard an app called 'wifi-ace' (on the Market) fixes WEP!
    • If auto-brightness is enabled, the keyboard/button lights will fail at random. See this post for more scant details :p.