Upgrading to XWLPi

Search This thread

Obagleyfreer

Jun 29, 2012
Wellington
I'm currently running XWLP7 firmware and there is an upgrade to xwlpi firmware.

The question I want to ask is, does anyone know anything about this firmware? I can't find any info on it at all.
Also does upgrading through mean I will lose things on my phone like Jkay framework and supercharger tweaks etc?
I've never upgraded through kies and don't know if this upgrade is worth it or not.

Any help/info would be great :)

Thanks in advance

UltimateAnas

Jun 2, 2012
Dudley
If your using a Custom ROM then don't update via kies, you'll end up in a boot loop...and even if you aren't , from what I've read updating via kies isn't recommended+is the firmware 4.0.4?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Reactions: Obagleyfreer

Obagleyfreer

Jun 29, 2012
Wellington
If your using a Custom ROM then don't update via kies, you'll end up in a boot loop...and even if you aren't , from what I've read updating via kies isn't recommended+is the firmware 4.0.4?

Thank you for your reply,

I'm not actually sure what the upgrade is I assume it's 4.0.4 but it doesn't say. It's tells me it's:
PDA: xwlpi (which I can't find any info on) phone:xwlpx. And Csc: lp2

If it is 4.0.4 is there any point? Do you what thanges are from 4.0.3?

I'm running stock Lp7 rom but with Jkay framework and a few tweaks and mods.

Thanks for any help :)

UltimateAnas

Jun 2, 2012
Dudley
From experience and what I have read, 4.0.4 is buggy and there is also the risk of the brick bug kernel so in my opinion its not worth upgrading, stay on 4.0.3 or use a custom ROM if you want 4.0.4 although there isn't much change!

Reactions: Obagleyfreer

Obagleyfreer

Jun 29, 2012
Wellington
From experience and what I have read, 4.0.4 is buggy and there is also the risk of the brick bug kernel so in my opinion its not worth upgrading, stay on 4.0.3 or use a custom ROM if you want 4.0.4 although there isn't much change!

cool, thanks for the advice. I'll stay with 4.0.3 and just wait for JB :)

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos

-Yes, 4.0.4 has a brick bug on its kernel.
-Yes, it's not worth upgrading to it only for NOOBS who can't read or ask questions.
-presently, 4.0.4 is the most stable, fastest and smoothest stock ICS firmware for galaxy SII. I've tested and reviewed it myself

Swyped from my Samsung Galaxy SII

Obagleyfreer

Jun 29, 2012
Wellington
-Yes, 4.0.4 has a brick bug on its kernel.
-Yes, it's not worth upgrading to it only for NOOBS who can't read or ask questions.
-presently, 4.0.4 is the most stable, fastest and smoothest stock ICS firmware for galaxy SII. I've tested and reviewed it myself

Thank you for your reply.

I probably wont bother upgrading as 4.1 JB for the S2 is just around the corner.....

You say it's not worth upgrading, but then you say it's the most stable, smoothest and fasted stock firmware?
It seems a little contradictory to me.........

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
Thank you for your reply.

I probably wont bother upgrading as 4.1 JB for the S2 is just around the corner.....

You say it's not worth upgrading, but then you say it's the most stable, smoothest and fasted stock firmware?
It seems a little contradictory to me.........

I said it's not worth upgrading four a NOOB who can read it follow simple instructions

For other people not in the above category, it's a must have.

ksilver89

Feb 8, 2012
Kajang
In a way, he mean 4.0.4 is good, but you need to use a safe kernel instead of original samsung kernel, otherwise you're looking for trouble.

Obagleyfreer

Jun 29, 2012
Wellington
In a way, he mean 4.0.4 is good, but you need to use a safe kernel instead of original samsung kernel, otherwise you're looking for trouble.

Cool I thought that's what he meant :)

I'll just hold tight for jelly bean then as I use the MHL output too much to use a custom kernel.

It's strange that Samsung have made kernels with the EMMC erase command. I wonder why they did that, there must be a reason, they're not stupid. Maybe they were trying to stop people playing around with the software..

Reactions: ksilver89

ksilver89

Feb 8, 2012
Kajang

I'll just hold tight for jelly bean then as I use the MHL output too much to use a custom kernel.

It's strange that Samsung have made kernels with the EMMC erase command. I wonder why they did that, there must be a reason, they're not stupid. Maybe they were trying to stop people playing around with the software..

From what I read, the EMMC_CAP_ERASE was introduced as a feature, but too bad it doesn't work well with the controller, and ended up corrupting the nand. Having said that, the way they continue to release the bad kernel to the public despite knowing the bug is a pretty bad move IMHO.

p/s: Opps, that "thanks" is free.

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
From what I read, the EMMC_CAP_ERASE was introduced as a feature, but too bad it doesn't work well with the controller, and ended up corrupting the nand. Having said that, the way they continue to release the bad kernel to the public despite knowing the bug is a pretty bad move IMHO.

p/s: Opps, that "thanks" is free.

-Yeah, the kernel bug is bad but I'm not sure if it will brick the phone if factory reset is done in the phone and not via CWM.

-All the bricked devices reported / I've known for now, have been through factory reset or restoring backup via CWM recovery

ksilver89

Feb 8, 2012
Kajang
-Yeah, the kernel bug is bad but I'm not sure if it will brick the phone if factory reset is done in the phone and not via CWM.

-All the bricked devices reported / I've known for now, have been through factory reset or restoring backup via CWM recovery

I said so because I read from this, better be safe than sorry. :)

Operations that are likely to cause damage when running an affected kernel:
Wiping in CWM (and likely any other custom recovery) (confirmed)
Restoring a Nandroid backup in CWM (wipes first)
Flashing another firmware in CWM (most flashes wipe first)
Wiping in stock 3e recovery (suspected, also wipes a partition)
Deleting large files when running an affected kernel (suspected but not confirmed)

source: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/hard-brick-bug-on-galaxy-s-ii-and-note-leaked-ics-kernels/

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos

Sure, it's better to be safe than sorry but the truth still remains, a regular user, who only format /reset his phone under SETTINGS-back up and restore will never hard brick his device while running stock 4.0.4.

Technically speaking, The main problem is not with the kernel but with some bad emmc chip in some phones (galaxy SII and note). We all know that some users still have normal emmc chip and will never brick their device even if they wipe in CWM recovery while running stock 4.0.4 kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.