[Q] Questions About MHL Adapter & OTG Cable Working Simultaneously

Search This thread
Apr 27, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have an unrooted Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 on T-Mobile (UK). Running firmware 4.3.

I have an MHL adapter that works perfectly. I also have an OTG cable that also works perfectly.

I wanted to be able to connect my PS3 controller and display the game on my TV, so I bought an adapter from eBay and after plugging it into the phone and connecting the power cable, it simply charged the phone and the phone didn't recognise that the HDMI cable was plugged in or the PS3 controller either. So I got a refund and purchased the official
Samsung Multimedia Smart Dock(also from eBay)which is compatible with the S3 and it was exactly the same result as the cheap adapter I bought. The Smart Dock didn't recognise that the HDMI or the controller, it just charged the phone and nothing else.

Does anyone know why this is happening? For me, it doesn't make sense because the MHL and OTG cable work fine separately with their own individual adapters, so I can't see why they can't be connected simultaneously. Does it have something to do with the 4.3 update?

Can anyone please shed some light on this issue?

Thank in advance

Apr 27, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have an unrooted Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 on T-Mobile (UK). Running firmware 4.3.

I have an MHL adapter that works perfectly. I also have an OTG cable that also works perfectly.

I wanted to be able to connect my PS3 controller and display the game on my TV, so I bought an adapter from eBay and after plugging it into the phone and connecting the power cable, it simply charged the phone and the phone didn't recognise that the HDMI cable was plugged in or the PS3 controller either. So I got a refund and purchased the official
Samsung Multimedia Smart Dock(also from eBay)which is compatible with the S3 and it was exactly the same result as the cheap adapter I bought. The Smart Dock didn't recognise that the HDMI or the controller, it just charged the phone and nothing else.

Does anyone know why this is happening? For me, it doesn't make sense because the MHL and OTG cable work fine separately with their own individual adapters, so I can't see why they can't be connected simultaneously. Does it have something to do with the 4.3 update?

Can anyone please shed some light on this issue?

Thank in advance

*Thanks in advance