[ROM][JB 4.1.2] z999 UVDMD5 (Modified) Stock TouchWiz ROM (Odexed) NEW 6/20/13

Search This thread

agriff

Oct 23, 2009
Dallas
The ROM's name is simply "z999", in reference in reference to my primary ROM for the at&t Galaxy S III i747z

There is no deep meaning to the name, here, I just wanted to keep the letter "Z" in there for the sake of consistency. Plus, I wanted something simple and stock-like on /Settings/About device for the phone for those who might have company IT Departments viewing their devices.

The current Jelly Bean 4.1.2 from Samsung is pretty solid. But, as we all know, for whatever reasons, Tmo will take a good ROM and add restrictions and "features" that make it barely usuable.
Our Canadian GSIII brothers, on the otherhand, have been mercifully spared from the full carrier hack-job given to us by At&t and Tmo. Using the Canadian version of the ROMs build characteristics, I have attempted to give us in the US what Tmo should have.

This ROM is odexed (re-odexed), as it would come from Samsung. In theory, this should give you better speed and battery performance. I have found it be lightning fast, smooth as silk, with best I've tested battery usage. Let me know what you think.

This ROM started off as a port to our still sadly-lacking 4.1.2 at&t i747 devices. After noticing 95% of it would work just as well for Tmo T999's, I thought I would share.
***I do NOT have a T-Mobile T999 GS3 to test the ROM on, so if the modem doesn't flash with the ROM, just reboot to recovery and flash the file I will link to.
If there are any other issues, please let me know and I will gladly try to work them out.

ROM Features:

-Fully Functional Native Call Recording!
-Rooted (Latest SuperSU)
-BusyBox installed
-Based on Stock UVDMD5 Touchwiz 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
-Stock kernel
-UVDMD5 Modem
-Odexed ROM. All Modded APKs and JARs properly re-odexed.
-Partially debloated. Feel free to remove whatever else you don't need.
-Carrier iQ free
-Unbranded-Generic GS3 build characteristics, (Rogers d2can v1 build properties)
-4.1.2 Premium Suite
-All Apps enabled for Multiview
-T-Mobile WiFi Calling functioning
-Extended Power Menu. 4-way Reboot
-****Google Voice****Calls Placed with Google Voice app will now show proper contact Name/Number in Call Logs, instead of GV dial-in-number
-Call Recording is back! Recordings Saved to /sdcard0/Sounds
-24-Toggle Mod, Original blue-themed. Stock Green Theme available as add-on
-Precise battery mod. (This is what I call my 1% battery mod. There are no percentages on the battery, itself. IMO, not necessary since the option to display remaining battery percentage is available to us in a stock ROM. So, whereas in a stock ROM, the battery image displayed in the status bar will change only after 10-15% is lost or gained. With my theme, the blue or green in the battery image will gain or lose one row of pixels for every 3-4% lost or gained. Even without battery percentages shown, in a day or 2 you will be able to guesstimate how much battery you have left within 5%, in my experience.) Thanks to Wanam and Lidroid
-International Boot Animation. Not sure where I got the Startup/Shutdown sounds. Probably a Wanam ROM along the way.
-Fast Dormancy Disabled by default
-Functioning WiFi and Bluetooth Tethering
-Email app, Corporate Exchange policies disabled. http://goo.gl/ShfEg
-White themed email app
-Editable voicemail number
-TMO address book and other TMO apps on data/app and removable
-9-Screen TW Launcher with Scrolling enabled
-Extra Wallpapers in SecWallpaperChooser.apk. All are from various Galaxy Tab Tablets. Very nice HD look
-Increased number of available Speed Dial Entries to 99.
-Join up to 99 Contacts, instead of 5
-Jobnik camera mods. Thanks to him
-Camera available on calls
-Samsung "Find My Mobile"/Samsung Dive enabled in Settings
-Backup to Samsung account now enabled
-Removed "Software Update" option from Settings
-Hardware version shown in Settings.
-Ability to Set Custom Vibrations for each contact
-Option to close browser available on browser menu.
-Removed all carrier Browser Bookmarks. Only 1-preset now, which is Google and is editable.
-Pop-up browser from Galaxy Note 2. http://goo.gl/nGcER
-Extra Touchwiz widgets from I9300 Intl 4.1.2 ROM
-Increased allowed size of custom Ringtones.
-Native Android SIP Calling over 4g/WiFi (with Receive Calls enabled)
-Dropbox with 50gb of extra storage for 2 years
-Updated some but not all of Google Play updatable /system/apps
-Enable dialing contact with motion
-S Translate from GS4
-Throttling disabled
-ad blocking with hosts file
-Group SMS
-Original Themed and color enhanced SMS Bubbles, based on bubble #1
-Unlimited SMS recipient list Fixed 1.0
-Clean Stock Reboot headers (No ROM names on any of them)
-Various build.prop tweaks.
-More tweaks that I can't recall right now. Will edit as I recall.

To Install

-Copy Rom to either sdcard
-Backup Current ROM
-Wipe cache/Dalvik cache. Full wipe Twice. Format /system and /data and /cache. Full factory reset again.
-Flash ROM from recovery
-Reboot
-Be awesome.

More Features, screenshots, and proper thanks and credits to come, when time allows.

Thanks to Wanam for all the apps, mods, and guides he provides.
Thanks to jovy23 for the ROM base and for his many excellent tutorials.

Version 1.0 Full Wipe Strongly Recommended

UVMD5 Modem
Stock TouchWiz Green Theme
Original Blue Theme (Main ROM comes with Blue theme
SecEmail and SecExchange with Exchange Policies Intact
Save additional Battery with lowered backlight values

Looks like I missed the ad-blocking file. Please flash below from recovery.

Attachments

• z999_RemoveAds_6-21-2013.zip
    346.3 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:

agriff

Oct 23, 2009
Dallas
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-20-19-01-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-20-19-01-55.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,303
Last edited:

agriff

Oct 23, 2009
Dallas
the boot up sound freaked me out at first lol im not gonna lie sounds like a possessed child in a horror movie lol
The boot sound is of a woman humming in a lovely sing-sing-voice, actually. Not that horrific or "lol" worthy, if you ask me. At any rate, you can delete the PowerOn.ogg and PowerOff.ogg in system/media/audio/ui if you don't like it

Last edited:
Reactions: Sincitybronze

Kamau54

Mar 30, 2011
From where the wind begins....
OK, help me out a bit here. I've seen odexed & deodexed a thousand times, but gave no thought to it.
That said, does odexed mean I cannot add the files and/or applications that I want to without going through a procedure?

Sincitybronze

Aug 19, 2010
Yes, but it is pretty tedious work. Open /system/etc/hosts with a text editor and remove the hosts you want to allow. Save, put it back in the same place and set permissions

EDIT: The procedure described below didn't work for me after all, but the app "Hosts Editor" by nilhcem does work. It's easy to use and it has a search function.

For anyone who is clueless like me, I was able to do this pretty easily by

locate hosts file in root explorer
upload to dropbox
open with wordpad on my pc
ctrl+f find and delete hosts you don't want blocked
save and exit
copy and paste hosts file from dropbox to root explorer

Thanks for the help, agriff!

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Great to hear. Is tmobile's Wi-Fi calling working correctly for you?

I've never used wifi calling, so I just froze it with titanium backup. I'll try to mess around with it later today to see if i can get it to work.

Last edited:

agriff

Oct 23, 2009
Dallas
For anyone who is clueless like me, I was able to do this by

locate hosts file in root explorer
upload to dropbox
open with wordpad on my pc
ctrl+f find and delete hosts you don't want blocked
save and exit
copy and paste hosts file from dropbox to root explorer

Thanks for the help, agriff!

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

I've never used wifi calling, so I just froze it with titanium backup. I'll try to mess around with it later today to see if i can get it to work.

I'd appreciate you doing that.
Don't forget to set the hosts file permissions to the same as the others in /etc folder, as well.

agriff

Oct 23, 2009
Dallas
OK, help me out a bit here. I've seen odexed & deodexed a thousand times, but gave no thought to it.
That said, does odexed mean I cannot add the files and/or applications that I want to without going through a procedure?
I'd say do a search for a lot of detail on this but you can still use mods, as long as they don't contain .jar files in system/framework. If the mod is a /system/app, then you have to delete the corresponding .odex file to the mod.
Not a necessary step, but you can, then, use odexme (search for it) from Paul O'Brien to re-odex the /system/app files. You'll have to flash an insecure kernel, like ktooonz's kernel before getting this to work, though. There are better ways to re-odex, which, again, can be found with an xda search.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The ROM's name is simply "z999", in reference in reference to my primary ROM for the at&t Galaxy S III i747z

There is no deep meaning to the name, here, I just wanted to keep the letter "Z" in there for the sake of consistency. Plus, I wanted something simple and stock-like on /Settings/About device for the phone for those who might have company IT Departments viewing their devices.

The current Jelly Bean 4.1.2 from Samsung is pretty solid. But, as we all know, for whatever reasons, Tmo will take a good ROM and add restrictions and "features" that make it barely usuable.
    Our Canadian GSIII brothers, on the otherhand, have been mercifully spared from the full carrier hack-job given to us by At&t and Tmo. Using the Canadian version of the ROMs build characteristics, I have attempted to give us in the US what Tmo should have.

This ROM is odexed (re-odexed), as it would come from Samsung. In theory, this should give you better speed and battery performance. I have found it be lightning fast, smooth as silk, with best I've tested battery usage. Let me know what you think.

This ROM started off as a port to our still sadly-lacking 4.1.2 at&t i747 devices. After noticing 95% of it would work just as well for Tmo T999's, I thought I would share.
    ***I do NOT have a T-Mobile T999 GS3 to test the ROM on, so if the modem doesn't flash with the ROM, just reboot to recovery and flash the file I will link to.
    If there are any other issues, please let me know and I will gladly try to work them out.

ROM Features:

-Fully Functional Native Call Recording!
    -Rooted (Latest SuperSU)
    -BusyBox installed
    -Based on Stock UVDMD5 Touchwiz 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
    -Stock kernel
    -UVDMD5 Modem
    -Odexed ROM. All Modded APKs and JARs properly re-odexed.
    -Partially debloated. Feel free to remove whatever else you don't need.
    -Carrier iQ free
    -Unbranded-Generic GS3 build characteristics, (Rogers d2can v1 build properties)
    -4.1.2 Premium Suite
    -All Apps enabled for Multiview
    -T-Mobile WiFi Calling functioning
    -Extended Power Menu. 4-way Reboot
    -****Google Voice****Calls Placed with Google Voice app will now show proper contact Name/Number in Call Logs, instead of GV dial-in-number
    -Call Recording is back! Recordings Saved to /sdcard0/Sounds
    -24-Toggle Mod, Original blue-themed. Stock Green Theme available as add-on
    -Precise battery mod. (This is what I call my 1% battery mod. There are no percentages on the battery, itself. IMO, not necessary since the option to display remaining battery percentage is available to us in a stock ROM. So, whereas in a stock ROM, the battery image displayed in the status bar will change only after 10-15% is lost or gained. With my theme, the blue or green in the battery image will gain or lose one row of pixels for every 3-4% lost or gained. Even without battery percentages shown, in a day or 2 you will be able to guesstimate how much battery you have left within 5%, in my experience.) Thanks to Wanam and Lidroid
    -International Boot Animation. Not sure where I got the Startup/Shutdown sounds. Probably a Wanam ROM along the way.
    -Fast Dormancy Disabled by default
    -Functioning WiFi and Bluetooth Tethering
    -Email app, Corporate Exchange policies disabled. http://goo.gl/ShfEg
    -White themed email app
    -Editable voicemail number
    -TMO address book and other TMO apps on data/app and removable
    -9-Screen TW Launcher with Scrolling enabled
    -Extra Wallpapers in SecWallpaperChooser.apk. All are from various Galaxy Tab Tablets. Very nice HD look
    -Increased number of available Speed Dial Entries to 99.
    -Join up to 99 Contacts, instead of 5
    -Jobnik camera mods. Thanks to him
    -Camera available on calls
    -Samsung "Find My Mobile"/Samsung Dive enabled in Settings
    -Backup to Samsung account now enabled
    -Removed "Software Update" option from Settings
    -Hardware version shown in Settings.
    -Ability to Set Custom Vibrations for each contact
    -Option to close browser available on browser menu.
    -Removed all carrier Browser Bookmarks. Only 1-preset now, which is Google and is editable.
    -Pop-up browser from Galaxy Note 2. http://goo.gl/nGcER
    -Extra Touchwiz widgets from I9300 Intl 4.1.2 ROM
    -Increased allowed size of custom Ringtones.
    -Native Android SIP Calling over 4g/WiFi (with Receive Calls enabled)
    -Dropbox with 50gb of extra storage for 2 years
    -Updated some but not all of Google Play updatable /system/apps
    -Enable dialing contact with motion
    -S Translate from GS4
    -Throttling disabled
    -ad blocking with hosts file
    -Group SMS
    -Original Themed and color enhanced SMS Bubbles, based on bubble #1
    -Unlimited SMS recipient list Fixed 1.0
    -Clean Stock Reboot headers (No ROM names on any of them)
    -Various build.prop tweaks.
    -More tweaks that I can't recall right now. Will edit as I recall.

To Install

-Copy Rom to either sdcard
    -Backup Current ROM
    -Wipe cache/Dalvik cache. Full wipe Twice. Format /system and /data and /cache. Full factory reset again.
    -Flash ROM from recovery
    -Reboot
    -Be awesome.

More Features, screenshots, and proper thanks and credits to come, when time allows.

Thanks to Wanam for all the apps, mods, and guides he provides.
    Thanks to jovy23 for the ROM base and for his many excellent tutorials.

Version 1.0 Full Wipe Strongly Recommended

UVMD5 Modem
    Stock TouchWiz Green Theme
    Original Blue Theme (Main ROM comes with Blue theme
    SecEmail and SecExchange with Exchange Policies Intact
    Save additional Battery with lowered backlight values

Looks like I missed the ad-blocking file. Please flash below from recovery.
    This rom is exactly what it is supposed to be. Read the op. If you want something else, move on. No need to make snide remarks. Respect the hard work these guys put into development.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    So, I just got my zero lemon battery. Going to fully charge tonight and see how my battery life is now! Going to be insane I am sure!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I just uploaded an additional power saving mod to the OP. Lowered values for the backlight