[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Search This thread

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Not sure if this got said before but I have not seen it and noticed that if you set you default browser to say chrome then all the icons mess go blank. You get them back by defaulting back to IE.

Hi

This is a note issue (you can read it on changelog), to solve this issue just open OblyTile v0.7.1 for few seconds after you changed the predefinite browser, and Tiles will works again.

Hope this helps.

Argony.

Last edited:

freddx

Jul 25, 2010
Great tool!
Its awesome! The only bug that I had so far was when you select an image that has an very big size (for example 1200x1200) your created tile will show nothing but the background color.
My startscreen from Windows 8 Pro so far with some created tiles:

unbenanntn.png

lumpaywk

Mar 30, 2010
Portsmouth/Gosport
Hi

This is a note issue (you can read it on changelog), to solve this issue just open OblyTile v0.7.1 for few seconds after you changed the predefinite browser, and Tiles will works again.

Hope this helps.

Argony.

Thanks, yeah i feel like a right idiot for not checking the first page before posting. That wont happen again. Also love that you can name the tiles now as i was doing this manually and i have a lot of shortcuts to docs etc on my start screen and it was getting a real bore. :good:

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
What makes long tiles harder than square tiles to make?

Many things...
I hate the choice that Microsoft has made to "lock-down" the Modern UI (also called Metro), i guess they want people to pass from Desktop apps to Windows Store apps.

I'm sure that, if not now, maybe soon, me or someone else will find the way to create wide-tiles :good:

Argony.

scaryshark

Jan 11, 2012
I can't tell you how great this is - now that I've got my start screen configured the Modern UI is starting to look really good on my TV! :)

I have one problem though, when I try to add a shortcut to a file that's got some funny characters in the location path it doesn't work. In this case when I try to make a link to Lego batman 2 the game I get the error on the screenshot.

I guess the easiest way to fix it would be to correct the shortcut path for the .lnk but I can't find it in the start menu folder :confused:

Edit:
Yeah it was pretty easy to fix! I just renamed the game directory to remove the Trademark symbol and stuff - I was a bit hesitant to do so at first incase it broke anything but it didn't ;D

P.S. To the guy that said that if the resolution is too high it will just display the background image I have a little something to add to that:
It's not the resolution that matters - it's the size of the .png. Microsoft has put a limit of 200kB so it can't be any bigger than that. I had a couple 512x512 600kB .png's and all I did was use this online compression tool to make it a little smaller. Then using Paint I saved that compressed file as a .jpg at 300x300 pixels then used the same compression tool to get out a 300x300 .png at 192kB.
( I guess I probably could have not bothered optimising it but I did it just to ensure it would be under 200kB)

Last edited:

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
I can't tell you how great this is - now that I've got my start screen configured the Modern UI is starting to look really good on my TV! :)

I have one problem though, when I try to add a shortcut to a file that's got some funny characters in the location path it doesn't work. In this case when I try to make a link to Lego batman 2 the game I get the error on the screenshot.

I guess the easiest way to fix it would be to correct the shortcut path for the .lnk but I can't find it in the start menu folder :confused:

Edit:
Yeah it was pretty easy to fix! I just renamed the game directory to remove the Trademark symbol and stuff - I was a bit hesitant to do so at first incase it broke anything but it didn't ;D

P.S. To the guy that said that if the resolution is too high it will just display the background image I have a little something to add to that:
It's not the resolution that matters - it's the size of the .png. Microsoft has put a limit of 200kB so it can't be any bigger than that. I had a couple 512x512 600kB .png's and all I did was use this online compression tool to make it a little smaller. Then using Paint I saved that compressed file as a .jpg at 300x300 pixels then used the same compression tool to get out a 300x300 .png at 192kB.
( I guess I probably could have not bothered optimising it but I did it just to ensure it would be under 200kB)

Hi

Very curious bug (and funny, i must say, "Batmanà" :laugh:) if i'll find the cause of this, i will fix as fast as i can.
Thanks for your comment :good:

Argony.

N000D

Sep 27, 2012
Good time of day!)
What about Cyrillic characters in the title tile?

I also faced the challenge of creating a tile with a link to the Modern UI.
I mean - I copied the Modern UI app from another computer from the folder C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and put it tnto same folder in my PC, but I can `t create a tile to run this application on my computer, may be necessary to specify the program arguments? Or may be need to specify not exe file to run modern UI app?

Thanks in advance for helping to create the tile set with link to the Modern UI app

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Good time of day!)
What about Cyrillic characters in the title tile?

I also faced the challenge of creating a tile with a link to the Modern UI.
I mean - I copied the Modern UI app from another computer from the folder C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and put it tnto same folder in my PC, but I can `t create a tile to run this application on my computer, may be necessary to specify the program arguments? Or may be need to specify not exe file to run modern UI app?

Thanks in advance for helping to create the tile set with link to the Modern UI app

Hi

I'll try to add Cyrillic and Special characters support to the next version of OblyTile (But not sure i can do it.)
Edit: Seems i can't add Cyrillic and Special Characters support to the tile name, Thought i will add it to the Program Path.

About creating shortcuts/tiles for Windows Store Apps, it's a limitation of the system (This is the reason why MetroAppLink has been created), i suggest to copy the shortcut file "%localappdata%\microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts" from your pc, to the pc you want to run the app.

Hope this helps.

Argony.

Last edited:

Leonick

Jan 8, 2008
I'm guessing the small images is for the zoomed out view? Any limitations on it? I made a 30x30 png with a size just shy of 3kb but zoomed out it just shows a blank tile with only the background colour (which btw it would be nice to have a larger selection of, the default shortcut tile background for starters.).

Either way, awesome app! Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, noticed the small icons are for searches. Odd how nothing displays when zoomed out though.

EDIT2: While I'm at it. This is likely some stupid Windows 8 code in play but maybe you'd be able to do something about it. The borders on my tiles are a bit inconsistent which is annoying. A tile whit a mostly white background get a solid white border (last pixel) but on a black icon it's almost completely transparent which makes the tiles look like they are different sizes. Image demonstrating the issue: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/732993/win8borders.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Argony-OT

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
I'm guessing the small images is for the zoomed out view? Any limitations on it? I made a 30x30 png with a size just shy of 3kb but zoomed out it just shows a blank tile with only the background colour (which btw it would be nice to have a larger selection of, the default shortcut tile background for starters.).

Either way, awesome app! Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, noticed the small icons are for searches. Odd how nothing displays when zoomed out though.

Hi

The small tile image is the one you can see on "All Apps" menu (you can access it by pressing WindowsKey + Q).
About the image in zoomed out view, i'll try to fix it in the next version of OblyTile.

Thanks for your feedback! :good:

While I'm at it. This is likely some stupid Windows 8 code in play but maybe you'd be able to do something about it. The borders on my tiles are a bit inconsistent which is annoying. A tile whit a mostly white background get a solid white border (last pixel) but on a black icon it's almost completely transparent which makes the tiles look like they are different sizes. Image demonstrating the issue: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/732993/win8borders.png

I can't do much about it, the first "solution" that come to my mind is to make the border black on your png image.
Hope this helps.

Argony.

Last edited:

Leonick

Jan 8, 2008
Hi
The small tile image is the one you can see on "All Apps" menu (you can access it by pressing WindowsKey + Q).
About the image in zoomed out view, i'll try to fix it in the next version of OblyTile.

Thanks for your feedback! :good:
No worries it seems it just takes a while before the icons show in the zoomed out view, when they do they use the same icon as for the all apps view.

I can't do much about it, the first "solution" that come to my mind is to make the border black on your png image.
Yea, I just went in and added a 1px border using the same grey as the standard shortcut tiles do and that stopped it from added the transparency. I could have understood if they decided to add a small border to tiles of certain colours but how someone thought adding a transparent border would be I good idea, well that just makes no sense at all :p

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
No worries it seems it just takes a while before the icons show in the zoomed out view, when they do they use the same icon as for the all apps view.

Yea, I just went in and added a 1px border using the same grey as the standard shortcut tiles do and that stopped it from added the transparency. I could have understood if they decided to add a small border to tiles of certain colours but how someone thought adding a transparent border would be I good idea, well that just makes no sense at all :p

I noticed it too, that by opening the All Apps menu, the image will be showed in the zoomed out view too, i'm trying to find a way to make it happens automatically (is not really necessary, but.. why not.)

About the border i'm glad the "problem" is gone!, and.. about the "makes no sense at all", i totally agree with you. Microsoft and their choice, i think we will never understand them :confused:

Thanks again for yor comments and feedback.

Argony.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Version 0.8 Released

Version 0.8 has been added on main post.
Hope you enjoy it.
If you have any problem with the new version, please let me know.

Argony.

Leonick

Jan 8, 2008
Only made the one tile with 0.8 yet but that worked well. Used the background colour selector and it worked as well. Would be neat if you could enter a hex value for a colour though, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Only made the one tile with 0.8 yet but that worked well. Used the background colour selector and it worked as well. Would be neat if you could enter a hex value for a colour though, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement.

I think i will add more option about colour, at the moment i just put the basic color selection dialog, to test, but i have in mind to develop a color selection dialog more functional. :)

Argony.

Leonick

Jan 8, 2008
In that case, take gradient in to consideration, I noticed the tiles with generic background do have a slight left to right gradient on them with colours depending on your settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
    OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
    OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
    • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
    • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
    • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
    • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
    • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
    • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
    • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
    • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
    • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
    • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
    • Fixed other minor stuffs.
    • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
    Known Issues:
    • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
    • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
    • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
    • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
    • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
    • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
    • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
    • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
    Tested on:
    Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
    Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
    f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
    View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506
    Current State of OblyTile on Windows 10

Hey all,

To start; I'd like to thank all of you over the past 3 years for the support you've given me and the appreciation towards the work I've done. I really can't tell you how much it means and the confidence it has given me to explore what I do and continue improving.

I am trying my best to find a way for OblyTile to work on Windows 10, however I have stumbled in to some compatibility issues and so far I haven't figured out a way around these and just wanted to make you all aware that it may not be possible for OblyTile to work on Windows 10.

I'll keep trying.

With that being said, any progression I make will be updated right here. Along with any news or other possible avenues for me to explore. But don't expect anything in the immediate future as MS have changed the OS from their first builds and these issues aren't small as what was possible, is no longer.

Thank you once again,
    Argony.
    Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.
    Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
    Great app! Makes Windows 8 worth while. One small suggestion though, It would be nice if it made a 30x30 image automatically from the 120x120 image (or just have it as an option).

New version released! (v0.8.8)

The function you request is included on this new version.

Infos and Download on main page