[Q] Can Xperia Play run Dosbox Turbo games like Doom at decent framerates?

Search This thread

dukedoom

Dec 13, 2013
I just got a LG970 white for free, i've checked the specs and I think it has exactly the same CPU and graphic processor as the Xperia Play. Just tested Dosbox Turbo and I was pretty dissapointed with the performance, the games are unplayable. Im limited to 2000 cycles tho, because I got the apk of Dosbox "for free" and it says I dont have a license to use higher cycles.

All im asking is: can anyone try doom in Dosbox Turbo and tell me how many framerates are you getting? If it's as ****ty then im not going to bother with buying an Xperia Play becuase I wanted it for Dosbox Turbo mostly (and obviously the sliding gamepad)

dukedoom

Dec 13, 2013
I don't have my XPlay with me currently but when I get it back I'll test it? Do you plan on overclocking?

Well I would like to avoid OC as much as possible. I would like to see how Dosbox Turbo with the optimal cycles configuration runs on games like:

Doom
Duke Nukem 3D
Warcraft 2
Starcraft
Age of Empires 2

basically the good ol dos games

Bakisha

May 4, 2011
On Xperia Play, speed on dos emulators is about as Pentium I at 66MHz.
Hardly Doom can be playable (but i'm sure it will work)
For me, even Settlers 2 run slowly (but playable)

dukedoom

Dec 13, 2013
On Xperia Play, speed on dos emulators is about as Pentium I at 66MHz.
Hardly Doom can be playable (but i'm sure it will work)
For me, even Settlers 2 run slowly (but playable)

Doom runs pretty smooth on a 486 so it should be perfectly smooth on a Pentium I at 66mhz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWHo74jiLh4

Can anyone try it out with Dosbox Turbo and confirm? Be sure you are using Dosbox Turbo and not other emulator because others suck. Also enable the correct cycles.

Last edited:

Rufoo

Mar 5, 2014
Depends on the game. DOSbox Turbo, while very robust for what it is, cannot perform miracles on aged hardware such the Xperia Play. Running DOOM or DOOM II on DOSbox Turbo on this device is not very good (I have multiple Plays) even with generous overclocks. Anything which uses the BUILD engine such as Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Redneck Rampage etc... runs even worse.

In terms of relative consideration, these pieces of software were quite taxing on the hardware available at the time.

Warcraft II runs very well under DOSbox Turbo. Starcraft would not as it is win32 based and not DOS based. You could use Winulator which specifically runs Starcraft but I believe it has an intolerance for Gingerbread.

If you wish to run DOOM or any of the ID Tech 1 based games I would suggest using source ports such as the excellent ports by Kokak such as DoomGLES etc...