Updated: Robbed Selling Phone on Craigslist in Atlanta |Robbers in Police Custody Now

Search This thread

Dave510

Jun 20, 2010
Toronto
Not going to get in argument with you but its always easy to tell others that it isnt worth the trouble until you have such an exprience. Thats what my friend must have thought when he was trying to sell his car (hope your read the story)

Look where that school of thought left him...... ICU! :mad:

I read about your friend. I'm guessing he probably resisted against the robbers, and it is a BMW M3 coupe we're talking about, not just a mere smartphone, so even if he resisted it's understandable. I'm not saying never ever resist even if your car, house or the safety of your family is at stake. But a phone?

And it seems quite obvious the OP was NOT in any danger by the time he decided to pull out a gun. The preps were leaving the scene. I realize that it's always easier to tell people what to do when I'm not one in the heat of the moment, but that's also why you should think about what you should do in the future in a similar situation ahead of time. I just don't want to see a fellow xda-er get seriously hurt or put into jail because he decided that pulling a gun for a phone is worthwhile.

Rest assure that killing a robber that's running away with a $400 phone will never pass the reasonable person test in a court of law, and it sure as hell doesn't count as self defense.

Reactions: lombardo8

kkmmnn

Oct 30, 2010
I just don't want to see a fellow xda-er get seriously hurt or put into jail because he decided that pulling a gun for a phone is worthwhile.

i, on the other hand, now see OP as the number 1 fan of android devices.. he is the master XDA'er and should be given mod privileges ASAP

dbirdflyshi

Mar 4, 2011
Djeez what a story.
I didn't know you guys still lived in the wild west period?

remember lukesan, america is not just one majority demographic like most of europe. There is more scum in that area of the USA. Also, the specific demographic of that area is not to be desired... Lotsa ghetto trash. That is why law enforcement is a joke in the Atlanta area. It is a joke though only becuase so much crime runs rampant there anyways, the police have to worry about larger things like a car being stolen, or a house robbed and not petty phone thefts! Those issues are to be worked out within the robber and the victim.

What i would do in your case OP is bring a taser :)

that way when they are running away you taze them :p or bear mace haha.

johnsmith970

Jan 11, 2011
Tuff luck. You should have scared them sensless by holding them hostage and buttstroking them repeatedly in the face and balls. Maybe some waterboarding. And also keep a throw away piece around just in case you do want to end some worthless persons life.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App

Lol buttstroking

lombardo8

Nov 25, 2007
London
This was a friend of yours? I remember reading that story in the Times! Nuts!

Yep Yep. Grew up in the same hood in Lagos, Nigeria. Always had beef for him :D cause he got a really pretty girl who I liked a lot and who was friends with my sister and came to my crib all the time but I just didnt have the balls to chat her up.

Lets just say he was faster.

mysterioustko

Sep 15, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
thesmartphonechamp.com
Update: The guy who gave the bogus news story is now in police custody (as of 9pm last night) and is facing robbery charges. I interviewed with the reported today and they will broadcast an updated story today. I will post it up when it airs.

johnson8cyl

Feb 28, 2010
Fort Worth
Very cool. Love this. I have to say I have had my experiences with police not doing anything or doing the wrong thing when something has happened to me in the past. I don't rely on them much at all and will not get wrongfully arrested when a female assaults me and I make the stupid decision to call them to get the situation resolved. I wont bore the thread with any of my stories.

No one got hurt and the situation was resolved in a timely and justly manner. Period. Great story. Hope the new story gets covered with a retraction of false allegations for you :D

Kudos

E

Elvis_Freshly

I live in the ATL and I know what it's like. People here are shiesty as hell...Guy sold me a Mytouch 4G with the Power button issue when I called him back after we made the trade he told me he had my plate and would kill me if I called his phone again.

I wasn't scared because my plate isn't registered to my current address but it showed me the mentality though. I been here a year and I don't trust a damn thing.

Glad your safe. I don't condone it yet I applaud you (if that makes any sense to you).

Prayers to you and your situation.

Hoggles

Jun 9, 2011
under a doxie
I read about your friend. I'm guessing he probably resisted against the robbers, and it is a BMW M3 coupe we're talking about, not just a mere smartphone, so even if he resisted it's understandable. I'm not saying never ever resist even if your car, house or the safety of your family is at stake. But a phone?

And it seems quite obvious the OP was NOT in any danger by the time he decided to pull out a gun. The preps were leaving the scene. I realize that it's always easier to tell people what to do when I'm not one in the heat of the moment, but that's also why you should think about what you should do in the future in a similar situation ahead of time. I just don't want to see a fellow xda-er get seriously hurt or put into jail because he decided that pulling a gun for a phone is worthwhile.

Rest assure that killing a robber that's running away with a $400 phone will never pass the reasonable person test in a court of law, and it sure as hell doesn't count as self defense.

+1

WELL SAID.

It's very understandable that the OP was pissed and shocked about just getting robbed, but he took it way too far.

First question would be, why on earth would you ever have a loaded assault rifle in your car?? You are looking for trouble, with all due respect. I would not be shocked at all if charges were pressed against the OP for using his gun in a NON-LIFE THREATENING manner.

All he really had to do was call 911 and say he's following the robbers. If that doesn't work, use a "find my phone" app that I would sure think (hope) he had installed. Eventually he would get his phone back, or have the crooks arrested.

Again with all due respect, the OP should be charged with reckless use of a firearm
. Obviously along with the robbers. Both parties are at fault here.

A phone would NEVER be cause for ending someones life....shame on you OP and stop carrying around guns or you are no better than the idiots who robbed you.

Reactions: El Daddy

lukesan

May 1, 2009
remember lukesan, america is not just one majority demographic like most of europe. There is more scum in that area of the USA. Also, the specific demographic of that area is not to be desired... Lotsa ghetto trash. That is why law enforcement is a joke in the Atlanta area. It is a joke though only becuase so much crime runs rampant there anyways, the police have to worry about larger things like a car being stolen, or a house robbed and not petty phone thefts! Those issues are to be worked out within the robber and the victim.

What i would do in your case OP is bring a taser :)

that way when they are running away you taze them :p or bear mace haha.

Well I lived in Scottsdale AZ which is a nicer area ;-)
I do agree that there is alot of generalization going on everywhere. If this story goes around in Europe the answer is always the same 'only in the USA' like it is like that everywhere in the US.
It still is a bit crazy that you have to bring your 'best friend' around. It makes me wonder why 'people' still haven't learned that it's not the solution and always leads to more violence and a worse future in general.
What if people were all friendly and acted like good fathers and mothers, now that would be a wonderful world. I guess and fear that it will never happen.

mysterioustko

Sep 15, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
thesmartphonechamp.com
+1

WELL SAID.

It's very understandable that the OP was pissed and shocked about just getting robbed, but he took it way too far.

First question would be, why on earth would you ever have a loaded assault rifle in your car?? You are looking for trouble, with all due respect. I would not be shocked at all if charges were pressed against the OP for using his gun in a NON-LIFE THREATENING manner.

All he really had to do was call 911 and say he's following the robbers. If that doesn't work, use a "find my phone" app that I would sure think (hope) he had installed. Eventually he would get his phone back, or have the crooks arrested.

Again with all due respect, the OP should be charged with reckless use of a firearm

A phone would NEVER be cause for ending someones life....shame on you OP and stop carrying around guns or you are no better than the idiots who robbed you.

First of all, just because I keep an AR on me doesn't mean I'm looking for trouble. It means that if trouble comes, I want to be able to dispatch it quickly. Second, I keep an AR because I grew up here in Atlanta and I know how this city is (I was robbed 6 times growing up). Third, state law gives me the right to employ deadly force to protect my property (not limited to real property)...this law was passed several years ago. You have no right tell someone to stop carrying around guns because it makes them an idiot. I'd say you're an idiot for refusing to acknowledge that there are people in the world that you may need to protect yourself from. Now my situation wasn't self defense, it was defense of my property. I'm not the "lay down and take it" type. I'm the type that if I'm in a position to help myself then I will..period point blank. The reason crime is so high is because of people like you who too afraid to protect yourselves and are content with just filing a police report after the fact and hoping that the cops investigate it. Most of the time the police will never even look to far into things like that because they have other things going on, so the criminals often go unpunished which just furthers their thinking that they can just do things to people with no consequence. At some point you have to stand up for yourself. I'm not saying everyone should chase someone down, I did that because I am very skilled with my weapon and knew how to take control of the situation. Long story short, if everyone thought the way you did, crime would be even worse.
Kennesaw is a city here on the outskirts of town...they have one of the lowest crime rates in the Metro Atlanta area because they have an ordinance that requires their residents to own a firearm. Criminals are a lot less likely to do crimes to people they know are armed...Fact.

lukesan

May 1, 2009
.... Criminals are a lot less likely to do crimes to people they know are armed...Fact.

Well it is how you look at it.
I think that if a criminal knows that you are armed then it is you or him and it will end up in bloodshed a lot easier than if he knows you are unarmed.
My wife lived in SA for 20 years and everyone is armed there too. Her family returned to Europe because of that.
I'd rather have the thief knowing that I can't do anything at that moment and survive the whole thing.

OccasionalDroid

Jun 4, 2011
So I'm selling a phone on craigslist...a guy calls me this morning wanting to buy my phone...I go to meet up with him at a QT gas station in Decatur, Ga....to make a long story short, there were two guys and they robbed me for my phone and drove off.........well....long story short....my car is faster than theirs and they quickly found out that I had an assault rifle in the car...my phone was promptly returned to me. Then next thing I know, I get a call a few hours later from someone telling me they saw my story on the news...but the guys who robbed me are on the news crying victim (saying they got robbed). Well anyway I went to Dekalb County Police and showed them the receipt for the purchase of the phone, craigslist ads, and online auction ads, and I easily proved I own the phone. Now there's a warrant out for the arrest of the guy who is on the news pretending to be a victim. Moral of the story: You guys out there who use Craigslist..BE CAREFUL!!....especially in Atlanta.

Here's a link to the story (this is what the robber told them): http://www.wsbtv.com/news/28442577/detail.html

Update: The guy who gave the bogus news story is now in police custody (as of 9pm last night) and is facing robbery charges. I interviewed with the reported today and they will broadcast an updated story today. I will post it up when it airs.

This is mega, great story;)))

If it was in the UK the person that owns the phone would be put in prison too, god bless america, they do justice the right way over there;)))

Hoggles

Jun 9, 2011
under a doxie
First of all, just because I keep an AR on me doesn't mean I'm looking for trouble. It means that if trouble comes, I want to be able to dispatch it quickly. Second, I keep an AR because I grew up here in Atlanta and I know how this city is (I was robbed 6 times growing up). Third, state law gives me the right to employ deadly force to protect my property (not limited to real property)...this law was passed several years ago. You have no right tell someone to stop carrying around guns because it makes them an idiot. I'd say you're an idiot for refusing to acknowledge that there are people in the world that you may need to protect yourself from. Now my situation wasn't self defense, it was defense of my property. I'm not the "lay down and take it" type. I'm the type that if I'm in a position to help myself then I will..period point blank. The reason crime is so high is because of people like you who too afraid to protect yourselves and are content with just filing a police report after the fact and hoping that the cops investigate it. Most of the time the police will never even look to far into things like that because they have other things going on, so the criminals often go unpunished which just furthers their thinking that they can just do things to people with no consequence. At some point you have to stand up for yourself. I'm not saying everyone should chase someone down, I did that because I am very skilled with my weapon and knew how to take control of the situation. Long story short, if everyone thought the way you did, crime would be even worse.
Kennesaw is a city here on the outskirts of town...they have one of the lowest crime rates in the Metro Atlanta area because they have an ordinance that requires their residents to own a firearm. Criminals are a lot less likely to do crimes to people they know are armed...Fact.

I'm sorry, but you will never convince me or many others you're in the right. Since when does standing up for yourself involve carrying firearms on the streets?

If you know you're in a historically violent area and you feel the need to carry a "assault" rifle (made for killing people) with you...why would you not make sure you put yourself in the safest possible situation....for instance right in front of the local police station. That's where I've done many craigslist deals and I live in a relatively safe part of town. For me that's common sense. If you tell the potential buyer you want to meet outside the police station....most crooks would not show up....honest people would have no problem with that. You might not be looking for trouble, but you're not trying very hard to stay away from trouble.

Maybe the problem with the area you live in, is people (like yourself) that feel the need to carry weapons. I'm sure gangsters and thieves feel the need to carry weapons. Domino effect anyone? I would strongly suspect that there are many good people in your area that don't carry and have never carried firearms and somehow manage to lead happy, productive lives. Correct?

As far as my thinking....If everyone thought like I did...no one would have guns on the streets....period. I'm all for defending myself, my family and friends, or anyone who needs help....as I've done MANY times...without a gun. My firearm is kept in my home, in a safe. Only to be used in an emergency situation where my life is directly at risk. My gun is not for chasing down a thief who just stole my TV. There is a difference.

From your own words, you were no longer in danger....you chased after them and could have potentially been in a gunfight over a phone. That is exactly what is wrong with people who feel the need to carry guns around. If that's law where you are....that's disturbing and could cause countless deaths over petty theft.

Again...I know this pisses you off...but you are just as bad as the crooks who robbed you. Have you asked yourself what would have happened If you killed a couple of people over a phone? There is no court in this country that would say you had the right to hunt them down and kill them. No way dude....not gonna happen.

I will let you respond without any further "opinions" from me...I've stated my case ;) I hope you don't kill or get killed. Sounds like it's only a matter of time though :rolleyes:

hurske

May 26, 2010
Great story, glad you scared the crap out of them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

Dave510

Jun 20, 2010
Toronto

I suppose Georgia laws are different, although I still would not risk my life over a phone.

I'm going to have to disagree with most of the suedo-statistics you throw out which you claim to be facts. If criminals are a lot less likely to do crimes to people they know are armed then Canada should have a much higher crime rate than US. The cultural and the economic aspects of the two countries are similar, so why isn't crime rate much lower in the States? Furthermore, shouldn't Texas have one of the lowest crimes in the country with their extremely lax gun laws and trigger happy residents? (Hint: They don't. Not by a long shot.)

Harsh penalties and lax gun laws don't mean lower crime rates. It seems more like you're trying to rationalize your decision.

Last edited:

pr0x2

Mar 22, 2010
Thats why you always call people when you sell **** 101.

When they are all "gangsta" or talking very bad English, you just hang up and move the **** on.

Man I am now scared to go on vacation to USA this summer :D you ****ers are craaaaaaaaaaazy :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I'm selling a phone on craigslist...a guy calls me this morning wanting to buy my phone...I go to meet up with him at a QT gas station in Decatur, Ga....to make a long story short, there were two guys and they robbed me for my phone and drove off.........well....long story short....my car is faster than theirs and they quickly found out that I had an assault rifle in the car...my phone was promptly returned to me. Then next thing I know, I get a call a few hours later from someone telling me they saw my story on the news...but the guys who robbed me are on the news crying victim (saying they got robbed). Well anyway I went to Dekalb County Police and showed them the receipt for the purchase of the phone, craigslist ads, and online auction ads, and I easily proved I own the phone. Now there's a warrant out for the arrest of the guy who is on the news pretending to be a victim. Moral of the story: You guys out there who use Craigslist..BE CAREFUL!!....especially in Atlanta.

Here's a link to the story (this is what the robber told them): http://www.wsbtv.com/news/28442577/detail.html

Update:
    The robbers are in police custody now and Channel 2 news has aired the corrected story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tTwkq8usas
    No, I think it has more to do with the fact that Americans clearly are too good for reading comprehension. Tell me exactly how chasing down robbers that already escaped constitutes defending yourself. Did you even bother reading the topic post? He didn't pull out an assault rifle while they were robbing him. He pulled it out and chased down the robbers after he was already robbed and the robbers were already on the road.

Edit: Not all Americans of course. There are many thoughtful and civilized Americans (who are willing to actually read about what went down vs. using the version that only exists in their own mind) but clearly not in this thread.

I am not American, I am Bulgarian. I live in the states. I think doing something about it, instead of just getting over the fact that the phone, or anything else for that matter, is gone forever. Its not about where are you from, its about always trying to get back what was taken from you. You cant just come in here with "oh you americans this and that"... Thats like me singing "BLAME CANADAAA" all the time ;)

Doing something about it is going to make a change. IF he never went after the guy - he would of never get the guy in jail.

Its not about the phone, or anything else. Its about the sanity and relief that you get from trying to fight the injustice.

If OP didnt go after the guy, and getting him arrested by doing so, the robber could of shot someone for a $5 rolex knock-off.

Getting bad guys where they need to be is a must, and I bow down to the OP for actually having the balls to do so! Its people like the OP that make a difference, not people like you, that would just lay down, and get over the fact that something that you worked hard for is stolen, and just go on with your life like nothing happened.
    +1

WELL SAID.

Most of you pro-protecting-yourself-with-gun people do realise that's not even the issue at hand right? The OP was already robbed. His phone was ALREADY taken, and the robbers were ALREADY leaving. They didn't turn the car around and run the OP over, they didn't pull out a gun and shoot the OP or pull out a knife and stab the OP. The crime was done, they were running away. The M16 in the OP's trunk wasn't going to save him from anything had the preps actually had weapons and decided to serious maim the OP or kill him.

The issue at hand was that the OP decided it was a good idea to go into his trunk, pull out his assault rifle, speed and catch up to the preps endangering other drivers, then reconfronting them with gun in hand. He was putting himself and others in danger when he was clearly already safe (albeit $400 down).

And to all the people who think it's a "sissie" thing not to want to have a violent confrontation over a few hundred bucks: Really? Are you seriously still in high school?

If I was an alien reading this thread, I'd assume Canada was some chaotic land with wonton violence everywhere and criminals running the country. Afterall, us normal citizens don't have guns to protect ourselves and clearly that's a "Go ahead" signal to all the criminals. And most Canadians must be criminals since we don't have the right to bear arms.
    Criminals are not afraid of a possible prison sentence. They are not afraid of being caught. The only thing that they ARE afraid of are armed citizens who will quickly turn the tables on them. I am absolutely appalled by the fact that some people actually believe that the OP was in the wrong. Not only are his actions to be commended, but the lowlife scumbags who tried to rob him will think twice before pulling this again.

A couple of years ago, a hardware store in Harlem was held up by a few armed lowlives. After pistolwhipping an employee, they raided the cash registers and tried to get away. The store's owner, a man in his late 70s, pulled a shotgun from underneath the counter and blasted away two of them. I suppose some people feel that he should have let them get away. Make no mistake - the robbers wouldn't have thought twice to kill him, had he not complied with their demands.

Kudos to the OP - you were completely right in protecting yourself and your property.

As far as the comment about Americans being unwelcome in other parts of the world, that's just silly. We're unwelcome because we are legally allowed to possess firearms and won't hesitate to protect ourselves? Really?:rolleyes: