Nexus 10 (Manta) Help Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Search This thread

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
No worries, this can be confusing at first but luckily nexus devices are simple
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery anyrecovery.img
(Yes twrp, cwm, stock, just so long as its for the n10 - I highly recommend twrp)
Now boot to new recovery, here you will find that when you unlocked your device it wiped all partitions, so of course prior to the first step back all up, but now you need a ROM, I highly recommend a custom ROM here, and for simplicity let's go with slimkat (link for ROM and gapps in dev thread)
You will go to advanced settings in twrp
Choose adb sideload
adb sideload nameofrom.img
When complete
adb sideload nameofgapps.img
And when complete reboot
Now you are running slimkat, one of many awesome custom ROMs, you are fully rooted and have a custom recovery to make backups and flash new ROMs etc
Best of luck! If you need more help feel free to ask or run a couple searches or watch a YouTube video for visual
You'll get it in no time!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thouston472

Mar 27, 2014
thanks again,

still have a some questions. you mentioned backing up. i understand the importance of a good backup in the windows environment. however my nexus device is still basically out of box, nothing to really backup except a non-critical gmail account.

do you mean backup before i flash anything, or right after i flash the recovery, but before i use the adb sideload command?

i have downloaded twrp, slimkat, and gapps from their sites. but stll not sure i have everything i need. i have the following:

the recovery image: openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.1-manta.img
the rom: Slim-manta-4.4.2.build.4-OFFICIAL-3659.zip
gapps: Slim_AIO_gapps.4.4.2.build.4.zip

for the rom, do i use the file in the slim zip called boot.img?
in the gapps zip i was unable to find any .img files, dont have a clue what to use.

obviously im stil not putting it all together

Last edited:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Oops, my previous post on adb sideload I messed up, those are .zip at the end of the command not .img, sorry for confusion.

So being you have nothing of value to back do not worry about it, in the future, when changing ROMs, steps should be as such
Boot to recovery
Backup
Wipe
Install
But for now don't worry about backup

Those are the correct files but For simplistic sake, rename them to
recovery.img
rom.zip
gapps.zip

So commands will then be
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Then in the recovery
adb sideload rom.zip
adb sideload gapps.zip

Reactions: thouston472

thouston472

Mar 27, 2014
Oops, my previous post on adb sideload I messed up, those are .zip at the end of the command not .img, sorry for confusion.

So being you have nothing of value to back do not worry about it, in the future, when changing ROMs, steps should be as such
Boot to recovery
Backup
Wipe
Install
But for now don't worry about backup

Those are the correct files but For simplistic sake, rename them to
recovery.img
rom.zip
gapps.zip

So commands will then be
Then in the recovery
adb sideload rom.zip
adb sideload gapps.zip

an update to say thank you and add a bit of info for anyone else who may be new like myself.
didnt get the time to try this yesterday, but i did give it a go first thing this morning.
went smoothly except stuck @ slimkat load screen

did a bit of digging in the slimkat thread/site and found the following:

In recovery make a full wipe as per these instructions:

In TWRP choose advanced in wipe section and wipe dalvik cache, cache, system and data.

*i had failed to wipe because i didnt have anything of importance to backup*

so i went back into recovery
wipe>advanced wipe selected dalvik cache, cache, system and data,
swiped to start, allowed it to finish

while still in the recovery
advanced>adb sideload
swipe to start

from the pc
adb sideload rom.zip

after completed had a reboot button, did not reboot yet,

still in the recovery
home>advanced>adb sideload and swipe to start

from the pc
adb sideload gapps.zip

after completion, did a reboot to a new setup :)

again, many thanks, to all who helped

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
How do i reformat with pc?

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to answer! Life has been rushing for me! I don't really know how to do it with Windows, but I do know in Fedora and Ubuntu. Although, I thought a little deeper in your issue for the week and unfortunately it looks like a broken EMMC, and formatting won't solve it... However you can try it, but if you are using one of the Linux distros I mentioned then I can try helping you better.

~Lord

unitnerd

Feb 4, 2012
Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to answer! Life has been rushing for me! I don't really know how to do it with Windows, but I do know in Fedora and Ubuntu. Although, I thought a little deeper in your issue for the week and unfortunately it looks like a broken EMMC, and formatting won't solve it... However you can try it, but if you are using one of the Linux distros I mentioned then I can try helping you better.

~Lord

First of all Thank You soo much for your response.How about i emulate a linux distro on windows? Because i made a lot of changes to do a dualboot thing on windows 8 and 7 so installing a linux distro will mess it up. And the reason i think that the EMMC is not broken is because i can install apps through adb(not only as a system app but a normal user app as well). Is there any way to repartition or something? And the time of your response is not a big issue as ive been using my tablet less lately ever since i bought my Note 3 :cool:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
First steps should be to make a nandroid backup in recovery and also separately backup anything like pics from data to PC, then gooogle search android factory images and find the latest for the manta
Then wipe all with fastboot and flash all again (check out post two or three of this thread for details)
If this doesn't work post a copy of all input/output from cmd along with what happened

Reactions: gunner1937

dontfcuk

Sep 11, 2012
Hi! I'm also pretty new to using a Nexus 10 and I had questions. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong in any of the following. When answering, use the least amount of abbreviations possible as i might not know what they mean and it saves me from having to ask lol)

The advantage of google devices is the instant updates and no garbage added into the OS by the service providers (mostly pure android). I've recently gotten googles update to 4.4.2 and it has negatively affected my wifi capabilities; internet drops a couple times per minute, takes forever to load anything, playstore never loads, nor does youtube, signal strength low. After doing some research i found out a lot of other people have been having this issue. One guy reverted back to a previous OS, he went back to 4.2.2. I would like to do the same thing since my tablet is new and i'm really not enjoying it right now.
The problem i've been hearing from some friends is that in order to flash a ROM, the tablet needs to be rooted, and to root a nexus means to void the prioritary updates given by google (am i wrong?). i'm afraid to lose that privilege in case it is true so i'm avoiding rooting. So how can i go back to 4.2.2 without rooting?

I've already downloaded the image file from google, now i just need to put it on. My friends were saying this can be done without rooting if i used Odin, but i don't think it's compatible with the nexus because i found no DIY with it. I've only been reading about fastboot and ADB which seem scary and are unknown to me lol. I might've bricked and soft-bricked phones before playing around with Galaxies, and am weary about software i don't quite understand.

Help me understand my options!

Thanks a million

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Hi! I'm also pretty new to using a Nexus 10 and I had questions. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong in any of the following. When answering, use the least amount of abbreviations possible as i might not know what they mean and it saves me from having to ask lol)

The advantage of google devices is the instant updates and no garbage added into the OS by the service providers (mostly pure android). I've recently gotten googles update to 4.4.2 and it has negatively affected my wifi capabilities; internet drops a couple times per minute, takes forever to load anything, playstore never loads, nor does youtube, signal strength low. After doing some research i found out a lot of other people have been having this issue. One guy reverted back to a previous OS, he went back to 4.2.2. I would like to do the same thing since my tablet is new and i'm really not enjoying it right now.
The problem i've been hearing from some friends is that in order to flash a ROM, the tablet needs to be rooted, and to root a nexus means to void the prioritary updates given by google (am i wrong?). i'm afraid to lose that privilege in case it is true so i'm avoiding rooting. So how can i go back to 4.2.2 without rooting?

I've already downloaded the image file from google, now i just need to put it on. My friends were saying this can be done without rooting if i used Odin, but i don't think it's compatible with the nexus because i found no DIY with it. I've only been reading about fastboot and ADB which seem scary and are unknown to me lol. I might've bricked and soft-bricked phones before playing around with Galaxies, and am weary about software i don't quite understand.

Help me understand my options!

Thanks a million

Hi,

First of all, there's no need to root to restore an Android version, although you'll need to unlock your bootloader, which means you'll lose all your data. When rooted you'll still receive Android updates, although every time you update your tablet, you'll lose your root access, and then you'll have to root again.

I never used Odin with Nexus 10, nor I saw other people using... I prefer the convenience of using fastboot! @demkantor wrote a great guide regarding restoring to stock, you may wish to read this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50823261&postcount=3. With this guide you will be able to restore your Nexus 10 back to 4.2.2 ;).

Also, if you want to lock your bootloader after downgrading (keep in mind you have to be completely stock! And it'll also delete all your data), just type in the end:
Code:
fastboot oem lock

Hope this helps,
~Lord

celaw

Sep 5, 2011
Hi, I'm facing problem to connect my Nexus 10 to my Windows 8 laptop. What I had done is installed Android SDK tools, installed Google USB driver, then manually update the Android ADB USB driver. But in "my computer" in the laptop, no folder / driver appear no matter I choose MTP or PTP.

I also try other method, i.e. install wifi file transfer (http / ftp) also didn't work. My Internet browser (http) and windows file explorer (ftp) unable to detect my nexus 10 address although both using same wireless wifi.

FYI, my Nexus 10 is rooted, installed TWRP recovery and on stock ROM. Hope someone can help. Thank you.

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
Hi, I'm facing problem to connect my Nexus 10 to my Windows 8 laptop. What I had done is installed Android SDK tools, installed Google USB driver, then manually update the Android ADB USB driver. But in "my computer" in the laptop, no folder / driver appear no matter I choose MTP or PTP.

I also try other method, i.e. install wifi file transfer (http / ftp) also didn't work. My Internet browser (http) and windows file explorer (ftp) unable to detect my nexus 10 address although both using same wireless wifi.

FYI, my Nexus 10 is rooted, installed TWRP recovery and on stock ROM. Hope someone can help. Thank you.

Try a diffrent cable

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

unitnerd

Feb 4, 2012
Hi,

Did you try formatting your storage? I know that relocking the bootloader will format, but maybe you need to reformat with a PC or something... Make sure you didn't select a bad partition ;).

Sorry, but this issue is a little weird... And I can't help you too much, I'll think a little more, but hope this helps a little.

i think i found something. /data/media/0 is completely accesable and writable.but whenever i open /storage/emulated/0 it says not found. I think the directories need to be linked. I think it can be done i read somewhere that it can be done but please guide me how

unitnerd

Feb 4, 2012
i think i found something. /data/media/0 is completely accesable and writable.but whenever i open /storage/emulated/0 it says not found. I think the directories need to be linked. I think it can be done i read somewhere that it can be done but please guide me how

Rox598

Sep 7, 2011
Northern Ireland
Think I may have gotten a machine with a dud battery :(

When i first got it it was at 100% and stayed at 100% for over an hour even with me flashing custom ROMS to decide on one I wanted. stuck with PA in the end and started setting it up it finally started to drop and when it hit 70% it switched off and wouldn't switch back on.

It's on the charger now but charging very very slowly (which I heard it does?) guess the only way to make sure I have a dud battery is to keep trying it?

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
Guys I get dust in my speakers. Is there any way to get it out or prevent it? They still work fine but it just looks ugly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

Krillen

Jan 4, 2014
I am unable to to get my nexus 10 to boot into anything but fastboot mode. I put these fastboot commands in:

fastboot erase system -w
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery

They all work fine but when I put in the command:

fastboot flash bootloader nameofbootloader.img

I see in command prompt on my pc (running win7 ultimate 64bit)

sending 'bootloader' <1280 KB>. . .
and on the necus 10 it says

FASTBOOT STATUS - DATA00140000
on the screen. What I would like to know is, what is "FASTBOOT STATUS - DATA00140000" and how can I fix it? That way I can run the rest of the commands I need to and have my table usable again.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Did you replace "nameofbootloader.img" with the file name for the bootloader?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung/Google Nexus 10 Help Thread!
    mantaray

Welcome to the Nexus 10 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. For a list of supporters, see here:

Current List of Supporters
    @demkantor - All Things Nexus - adb & fastboot expert!
    @lj50036 - GitHub Expert and All Around Android Guy!
    @rirozizo - Battery Guru and Android Know It All!
    @XxLordxX - The Unbricker!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just send me a PM!

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @ like above. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible for posting there, you may post here. And Please Read The 2nd & 3rd Post Of This Thread Before Posting! Thank you!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligible for posting in development section.

To all of you: Remember the Rules and the Forum Etiquette
    Hi, demkantor. Thanks for helping me, man! :good:

No, I tried to flash a JB 4.3 kernel from here: hxxp://goo.gl/aI4ULX

I tried all the three 4.3 kernel versions (TX3-4.3-ANY, TX11-4.3-ANY and TX17-4.3-2000-ANY) posted at the Trinity kernell webpage, all with the same result (Status 7 error).

Hi,

I'm not sure about what is causing this problem, but there's this friendly thread about the Status 7 error, you may be interested in it ;)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2302599

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
    Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10
    Quick Tips!

Okay, so if you look through the Q&A thread here the number one issue that keeps popping up is "Help Bootloop!" and "Help I Think it's Bricked!"

So here is a quick guide that will most often fix these issue (90% of the time anyway)

First things first.... Drivers
    Now many of you have these installed, so if you can connect your device to PC through USB and are able to communicate with adb and fastboot just skip this.

If however you can not, then you need to download appropriate drivers for Windows.
    You can get these through the Adroid SDK if you already have this
    Or direct from the OEM following the link HERE
    Or some say having the Naked Drivers works best, so try HERE or HERE or HERE
    If you need help installing these then see the next chunk on adb/fastboot or feel free to ask here as well!
    *Linux users just need the android rules set up, see fastboot link for how to...

So after drivers are up... Fastboot!
    Well here is many's big fear, but fear not as the terminal is not that scary!
    For an in depth explanation on how to use fastboot, I highly suggest reading through THIS
    It will have all you need to know and if there are any further question please feel free to ask here or in the fastboot thread.

If you have any issues running fastboot (or adb) commands, please copy and paste all input/output from terminal/cmd here so one of your helpers can assist better.

You can connect to PC and you know the commands.. but what to flash?
    For the most part we want to use the stock firmware found here (some OTAs HERE for another use)
    Download the latest for mantaray (currently 4.4.2-(KOT49H)

Now check MD5sum or sha1 for a match (Linux use terminal, windows use THIS)
    If all is good lets extract the contents (I prefer 7zip but whatever)

So if all of your prep work is a success then when you type
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    Into a terminal/CMD you will see your serial number
    If not be sure you are in bootloader mode (power on while holding volume +)
    Also have a high quality USB cable if not the one that came with your device
    *Still have issue, ask in this thread!

If you have a locked bootloader it may be wise to
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Then follow the below info, if you don't want to unlock your tablet just run the flash-all.bat to get similar results

And now you have a bunch of images, lets erase and flash so we will be oh so clean!
    *have everything backed up first! this will erase your tablet!
    Code:
    fastboot erase system -w
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase recovery
    now after we cleaned things up, lets flash back to stock!
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader nameofbootloader.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot flash cache cache.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    (Everything should be named accordingly except for bootloader, so change this command)

Congrats! You can reboot to a functioning tablet!
    Some quick notes:
    If you want a custom recovery, fell free to instead flash latest TWRP or CWM or whatever.
    You do not need to use stock recovery for the above to work, but you will need your custom recovery in a .img

Similarly if you want a custom ROM instead of stock you can do this, but only if your dev supplies you with the system.img, if not just boot to recovery, make a nandroid, wipe all, flash custom ROM and gapps through adb sideload.

If you still have a bootloop or a "brick" then ask us here and someone will be glad to give you personal assistance.
    Or for real time help you can see if anyone is at ##Manta_Help_IRC on freenode

Anything I missed feel free to ask in this thread!

Happy Flashing!
    Quick Linux/Unix Rooting Guide

First of all, you need to have Fastboot and ADB. To do as such open your command line and type:

Code:
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/fastboot
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/adb
    Now that you have both files, you need to setup them to be able to use. As you're an Unix user you'll probably get what I'll do here, you can do it slightly different, but this way was the easiest IMO, also it makes the procedure for next times using adb and fastboot easier. Type the following:

Code:
    sudo mv fastboot /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo mv adb /usr/bin/adb
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/adb
    Now that you have adb and fastboot set up it's time to start the real thing. First of all, make sure to backup your device, as everything will be lost in this procedure! First you need to unlock your device bootloader (if it is already unlocked, skip this part). Please, go to settings, "About Device" and click multiple times "Build Number", a new tab will appear in settings, called "Developer Options", go there and enable USB Debugging. Now plug your Nexus 10 on your PC and type this to check if your device was recognized:

Code:
    adb devices
    If something came up it was successfully recognized and you can follow up :victory:, but it nothing appeared you may need to check this:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/258-udev-rules-for-any-device-no-more-starting-adb-with-sudo/

When you get your device recognized do the following:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Wait for the device to reboot, when it turns on again, you'll type the following:

Code:
    sudo fastboot oem unlock
    Now follow the instructions on your tablet screen. As soon as your bootloader is unlocked the device will reboot, so you'll now download the recovery and the Superuser.

Copy SuperSU to your device internal memory (that's probably empty now) and rename the .img file of TWRP to recovery.img. Now enable USB debugging again (it's explained above lol) and replug the tablet on your PC. Time for typing again! (Please, open the terminal in the folder where the recovery.img is located).

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Wait for it to reboot, and then type:

Code:
    sudo fastboot boot recovery.img
    (If you want to install the recovery permanently in the device, type 'sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' before issuing the command above).

Now you probably see a screen like this:
    eIDZ.png

Click in Install and select the SuperSU zip that you copied to your tablet internal memory earlier. When the flash is complete, reboot the tablet and congratulations! You're rooted :victory:.

Hope this helps anyone who may need it!
    Quick Linux/Unix Restoring to Stock Guide
    So you've decided that you don't want root anymore or you did something and want to restore to stock? That's not a hard thing to do! Just follow these steps and you'll be fine.

First you need to have adb and Fastboot ready. To do as such open your command line and type:

Code:
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/fastboot
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/adb

Now that you have both files, you need to setup them to be able to use. As you're an Unix user you'll probably get what I'll do here, you can do it slightly different, but this way was the easiest IMO, also it makes the procedure for next times using adb and fastboot easier. Type the following:

Code:
    sudo mv fastboot /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo mv adb /usr/bin/adb
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/adb

Now that you have adb and fastboot set up it's time to start the real thing. First of all, make sure to backup your device, as everything will be lost in this procedure! First you need to unlock your device bootloader (if it is already unlocked, skip this part). Please, go to settings, "About Device" and click multiple times "Build Number", a new tab will appear in settings, called "Developer Options", go there and enable USB Debugging. Now plug your Nexus 10 on your PC and type this to check if your device was recognized:

Code:
    adb devices

If something came up it was successfully recognized and you can follow up :victory:, but it nothing appeared you may need to check this:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/258-udev-rules-for-any-device-no-more-starting-adb-with-sudo/

When you get your device recognized do the following:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Wait for the device to reboot, when it turns on again, you'll type the following:

Code:
    sudo fastboot oem unlock

Now you'll follow the instructions on screen. When your device is unlocked, you'll have to download the stock firmware you want from one of those links:

Now that you're done with your download, you'll extract the .tgz package the way you prefer. Now, open a command line in the folder where the extracted files are and (with your device plugged on fastboot mode) just type:

Code:
    chmod 755 flash-all.sh
    sudo ./flash-all.sh

The procedure will now begin. It can take some time to finish. When it ends, it's recommended that you lock back your booloader, which is as easy as unlock. Type (tablet plugged in fastboot):

Code:
    sudo fastboot oem lock

Hope this helps!
    ~Lord
    i want in! "all-round-android-guy"

Sent from my Nexus 4