[APP][2.2+] Privacy Protector for non-rooted devices (New update!)

Search This thread

houzuoguo

Jun 3, 2010
Hamburg
What can it do?
============
Are you concerned with certain apps required permissions? Then this app is for you!
Base on your settings, this app will automatically turn OFF location and network connections when it detects that certain apps are running, thus leaving the apps no chance of leaking your data. After the apps finish running, pull down notification bar and you'll easily turn network and location services back on.

It works on both non-rooted and rooted devices.

Alternatively, this app can be used as an ad-blocker or data saver.

Performance Impact
===============
With over 300 apps monitored, on average the app utilizes less than 4% of CPU on a Nexus One.
There is no noticeable impact on battery life.

Required Permissions
===============
Access to GPS and coarse location are for probing the location service settings.
Create bluetooth connections and bluetooth administration are for probing Bluetooth status and controlling bluetooth adapter.
Change Wi-Fi state is for controlling Wifi adapter.

Changelog
================
App published to Android Market after major usability improvements and critical bug fixes.

Major update
- App names are sorted
- Some performance improvements
- UI usability improvements

Minor update
- Option to hide notification when service is running
- User interface tweaks
- Removed all log messages

Please download from Android Market:
https://market.android.com/details?id=net.houzuo.android.privacyprotector

Attachments

• screenshot-1330004076806.jpg
    screenshot-1330004076806.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 572
  • screenshot-1330004154604.jpg
    screenshot-1330004154604.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 520
  • screenshot-1330004170231.jpg
    screenshot-1330004170231.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:

houzuoguo

Jun 3, 2010
Hamburg
Major update :)
- Usability enhancements
- Critical bugs fixed
- Overall performance improvements and smaller memory footprint

Elemris

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2010
elemris.com
Looks useful! Even though I'm rooted, I'm hesitant to install apps that require root because of the obvious security issues. So non-root security apps are important.

I have a question though, will it block access for apps that run in the background, such as code run via Broadcast Receivers? If not, perhaps it could warn the user in such a case, because a malicious program could easily gather or transmit data in the background.

houzuoguo

Jun 3, 2010
Hamburg
Looks useful! Even though I'm rooted, I'm hesitant to install apps that require root because of the obvious security issues. So non-root security apps are important.

I have a question though, will it block access for apps that run in the background, such as code run via Broadcast Receivers? If not, perhaps it could warn the user in such a case, because a malicious program could easily gather or transmit data in the background.

Thank you :)
The app only monitors the current foreground process (the one that is dominating screen).

I'd suggest that, if an app runs a background service and raises a privacy concern, it is better disabled by other ways (uninstall, etc.)

There are two reasons why background services shall not be affected by the app:
- Background services may run a long time, thus disabling network or location services could cause much inconvenience.
- To disable location services, Privacy Protector will forward user to Location Settings page. Currently, if user decides not to take action to the settings and do not run the app, s/he can go back to home screen by clicking home button. However if Privacy Protector keeps forwarding user to Location Settings because a background service is running, it may be very inconvenient and could possibly annoy the user.

Reactions: Elemris

Elemris

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2010
elemris.com
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

I guess many users aren't even aware that apps can run hidden in the background, let alone know how to detect background services. So I'm thinking about a warning to the user along the lines of "hey, you're blocking your 'Unhappy Avians' app, but Privacy Protector detected that app may run in the background, outside of our protection. If you're concerned, you may want to uninstall Unhappy Avians".

Reactions: houzuoguo

houzuoguo

Jun 3, 2010
Hamburg
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

I guess many users aren't even aware that apps can run hidden in the background, let alone know how to detect background services. So I'm thinking about a warning to the user along the lines of "hey, you're blocking your 'Unhappy Avians' app, but Privacy Protector detected that app may run in the background, outside of our protection. If you're concerned, you may want to uninstall Unhappy Avians".

that sounds like a good idea! thank you!

5[Strogino]

Sep 23, 2009
Moscow
Is it possible to get version of Privacy Protector that can run on Android 2.1 and less?
Is it independent of iptables?

p.s. App list must be sorted alphabetically

Last edited:
Reactions: houzuoguo

houzuoguo

Jun 3, 2010
Hamburg
Is it possible to get version of Privacy Protector that can run on Android 2.1 and less?
Is it independent of iptables?

The app only uses features of Android API, it does not rely on iptables.
It has been tested on my Nexus One with Android 2.2 and 2.3 roms, I wasn't able to test it on 2.1 rom because I had difficulty to find one.

I've attached an APK which should be compatible with Android 1.6, but I'm unable to test it. Please give it a try.

Attachments

• PrivacyProtector.apk
    38.4 KB · Views: 206

5[Strogino]

Sep 23, 2009
Moscow
What's about more harder function - to block access only chosen apps?
If I want use Skype and deny App X, your app will turn connection off. But i don't want lose whole connection.

houzuoguo

Jun 3, 2010
Hamburg
What's about more harder function - to block access only chosen apps?
If I want use Skype and deny App X, your app will turn connection off. But i don't want lose whole connection.

That behaviour would only be feasible to implement on a rooted device :)

Has anyone tested this on Galaxy S2 please?
Thank you

The top device which contributes to the 1200+ downloads is Galaxy S2. There has been 4 crash reports in total (the app occasionally crashes after loading apps.. I'm still investigating) but none of them came from S2.

houzuoguo

Jun 3, 2010
Hamburg
Major update pushed to Android Market :)
Changelog
- App names are sorted

ajige

Nov 12, 2007
Colorado
wifi access

Would it be possible to distinguish between data and wifi (like Droidwall)?
The phone it's installed on, has a bad chip and shouldn't be rooted, but I'd like some apps to only have access to wifi, and other apps have access to both data and wifi.

walletless

Sep 14, 2007
San Jose, CA
Does not work on Nexus 4 with Jelly Bean :(
I ticked the LOC box next to Facebook app, saved, enabled... then opened Facebook app and posted a status. My location was right there in the status post :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What can it do?
    ============
    Are you concerned with certain apps required permissions? Then this app is for you!
    Base on your settings, this app will automatically turn OFF location and network connections when it detects that certain apps are running, thus leaving the apps no chance of leaking your data. After the apps finish running, pull down notification bar and you'll easily turn network and location services back on.

It works on both non-rooted and rooted devices.

Alternatively, this app can be used as an ad-blocker or data saver.

Performance Impact
    ===============
    With over 300 apps monitored, on average the app utilizes less than 4% of CPU on a Nexus One.
    There is no noticeable impact on battery life.

Required Permissions
    ===============
    Access to GPS and coarse location are for probing the location service settings.
    Create bluetooth connections and bluetooth administration are for probing Bluetooth status and controlling bluetooth adapter.
    Change Wi-Fi state is for controlling Wifi adapter.

Changelog
    ================
    App published to Android Market after major usability improvements and critical bug fixes.

Major update
    - App names are sorted

Minor update
    - User interface tweaks

Please download from Android Market:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=net.houzuo.android.privacyprotector
    Fantastic app one again, sir! I've posted it to the XDA front page.
    for further updates.. can u hide the top icon?

thx.. great app
    Changelog
    ================

A link will be helpful :)
    A minor update :)
    - User interface tweaks