[Q] Bricked Moto Defy

Search This thread

novaproject

Feb 18, 2012
HI there. First i want to excuse for my bad english.
So, right into the question. Week ago i tried to flash CM9 on my moto defy. I flashed it, it ran well, when suddenly, after 2-3 days the trebuchet luncher crashed. I reboot my phone and all i got is boot loop. So, i'm a noob :D, but i tried to fix the problem whit installing one of the SBF's for moto defy+ (didn't notice that, the sbf is for Defy+ not for Defy). Actually the rom ran great, but the camera don't work. So i have a NANDROID backup but the moto defy original recovery, doesn't flash it (it says: "E: failed to verify whole-file signature"). I can't instal clockworkmod, couse i can't root the rom. So, the question is: is there any chance to root my rom and instal clockworkmod or can i fix the original recovery error, so i can apply my backup and downgrade to 2.2 froyo.
The rom that i flashed is ->
4.5.1-134-DFP-231 - retail, vodafon, tmobile, O2, full Blur

I tried to flash other SBF's but they dont work, or can't root either.
I tried to root the rom with everyone possible root exploits posted in this forum... but they doesen't work. I noticed that, there are some SBF's wich are rootable, but the download links doesen't work.
So, what is the exit of this ****ty situation? :D

Last edited:

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Ontario
So, right into the question. Week ago i tried to flash CM9 on my moto defy. I flashed it, it ran well, when suddenly, after 2-3 days the trebuchet luncher crashed. I reboot my phone and all i got is boot loop. So, i'm a noob :D, but i tried to fix the problem whit installing one of the SBF's for moto defy+ (didn't notice that, the sbf is for Defy+ not for Defy). Actually the rom ran great, but the camera don't work. So i have a NANDROID backup but the moto defy original recovery, doesn't flash it (it says: "E: failed to verify whole-file signature"). I can't instal clockworkmod, couse i can't root the rom. So, the question is: is there any chance to root my rom and instal clockworkmod or can i fix the original recovery error, so i can apply my backup and downgrade to 2.2 froyo.

I tried to root the rom with everyone possible root exploits posted in this forum... but they doesen't work. I noticed that, there are some SBF's wich are rootable, but the download links doesen't work.

Okay dude. First thing:
Calm down. If you already are then read on! :p
Since Defy and Defy+ are more than 90% similar in hardware flashing SBF should not be a problem until you don't want downgradability! So from the name of the SBF I guess its for 2.3.6(GB) So now no way can you downgrade to Froyo kernel or for that matter any ROM using Froyo kernel. Am not sure about your ROM but I use the Asia retail SBF (4.5.1-134-DFP-1321 - retail-asia full Blur multilanguage) and I have rooted it using latest superoneclick and modded, rooted and installed CWM recovery umpteen times! So, what you can do is:
1.) Find out version of Android(2.3.4 or 2.3.6) in your phone at present.
2.) Case a:If it is 2.3.4: You can get any kernel and downgradeability is
preserved. There should be no prob faced!
Case b: If you have 2.3.6: You should try the SBF I have since it is rootable.
3.) Now I presume your phone should be working fine with Android 2.3.6.

Let me know if it works and than we can proceed further..

You can also give a try with Walter's fixed SBF and Nandroid backup

PS: A Defy as I understand is almost impossible to Brick!!! Y? Since its bootloader is locked

Last edited:
Reactions: novaproject

novaproject

Feb 18, 2012
HI there, thx for the help :)
Yes, the installed rom is 2.3.6. I want to change it, couse the battery drain too fast (one day and it's gone) and there's no camera.

I flashed the rom that you said me (4.5.1-134-DFP-1321 - retail-asia full Blur multilanguage), but it's not working.. Doesn't boot at all. After the rom is flashed, the phone reboot and nothing, black screen. Only the white LED light on the upper left corner is activated. I'm giving a try with Walter's fixed SBF now.

Last edited:

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Ontario
Walter's fixed SBF doesen't work too. Same blackscreen...

Oh! I think similar thing happened with me once when I installed CM9 kernel! This is what I did:

1.) Flash SBF. (Full)
2.) Boot to stock android recovery.
3.) Wipe data and wipe cache.
4.) Reboot.

Well since you already installed a full SBF of 2.3.6 you cannot downgrade! And from what I have seen till now from users experience(and mine) 2.3.6 gives much better battery life. So from now on whenever u use a nightly or ROM use the one for GB(Defy+) builds

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Ontario
This means, that i cannot change the rom anymore?

You can change ROMs. But you can't go back to an old or downgraded ROM(like froyo). That means you will always have to use ROMs made for Defy+ (GB). There are many CM7 nightlies by Quarx for Defy+ and the latest one for me worked great.

However, should you want to go to Froyo again there is a workaround:
A chinese sbf of froyo was found to have an updated bootloader! So the workaround is:

1.) Flash the chinese SBF(Never use the flash as it will burn your flash)
2.) Root, install 2nd init and CWM.
3.) Now you can flash CM and ROMs for Defy(Froyo) since you got a froyo
kernel(And use your flash now :) )
This is something I gave a try and it worked for me. I am sorry don't remember which thread it was with this tutorial. May be you can give it a search...

novaproject

Feb 18, 2012
Thanx again.
I tried the chineese sbf but it didn't work. Same black screen...
Is there any way to instal .zip rom (like CM7) with program like RSD lite?

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Ontario
Thanx again.

Did you do a data wipe from stock recovery after installing the chinese SBF?

I dint quite get your second question! If you asked :

a.) Can zip be flashed using RSD lite.. No!! You cant. RSD lite understand only proper SBF files with correct checksum!

b.) Can zip be installed from stock recovery: No!! To instal a zip from stock you need the zip to be signed by motorola. That is why the whole concept of 2nd init comes up! It is a recovery menu which comes before the system boots up

novaproject

Feb 18, 2012
It was the first question :p
Yes, i did the data wipe, and nothing... I think, no other SBF works except mine... I don't know what to do now. :(

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Ontario
Yes, i did the data wipe, and nothing... I think, no other SBF works except mine... I don't know what to do now. :(

Sorry dint see that! I am afraid i think the SBF you flashed has BL7 as someone in the thread mentioned earlier! just to be sure:

1.) Download this .

2.) Extract the sbf and check the cmg versions. Check the version for cmg39.

3.) If it is 7. I am afraid there is no way out yet!! For the time being you are stuck with that SBF!! You are unable to boot because the SBF I gave you and most others has BL6 !!

Sorry again as I dint thought of this possibility earlier! And don't worry much. For now reflash the SBF that is working for you and wait till a way to root it is found!!

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Ontario
And speaking of it I welcome myself to the group!! :D
Just got back my Defy+ from service center and after I switched it ON I saw the lockscreen interface was different! A quick check told me that it is the latest SBF they flashed. I kept my fingers crossed. Once back home I checked and found this phone is not rootable!!! :( Now I am stuck too!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Okay dude. First thing:
    Calm down. If you already are then read on! :p
    Since Defy and Defy+ are more than 90% similar in hardware flashing SBF should not be a problem until you don't want downgradability! So from the name of the SBF I guess its for 2.3.6(GB) So now no way can you downgrade to Froyo kernel or for that matter any ROM using Froyo kernel. Am not sure about your ROM but I use the Asia retail SBF (4.5.1-134-DFP-1321 - retail-asia full Blur multilanguage) and I have rooted it using latest superoneclick and modded, rooted and installed CWM recovery umpteen times! So, what you can do is:
    1.) Find out version of Android(2.3.4 or 2.3.6) in your phone at present.
    2.) Case a:If it is 2.3.4: You can get any kernel and downgradeability is
    preserved. There should be no prob faced!
    Case b: If you have 2.3.6: You should try the SBF I have since it is rootable.
    3.) Now I presume your phone should be working fine with Android 2.3.6.

Let me know if it works and than we can proceed further..

You can also give a try with Walter's fixed SBF and Nandroid backup

PS: A Defy as I understand is almost impossible to Brick!!! Y? Since its bootloader is locked
    This means, that i cannot change the rom anymore?

You can change ROMs. But you can't go back to an old or downgraded ROM(like froyo). That means you will always have to use ROMs made for Defy+ (GB). There are many CM7 nightlies by Quarx for Defy+ and the latest one for me worked great.

However, should you want to go to Froyo again there is a workaround:
    A chinese sbf of froyo was found to have an updated bootloader! So the workaround is:

1.) Flash the chinese SBF(Never use the flash as it will burn your flash)
    2.) Root, install 2nd init and CWM.
    3.) Now you can flash CM and ROMs for Defy(Froyo) since you got a froyo
    kernel(And use your flash now :) )
    This is something I gave a try and it worked for me. I am sorry don't remember which thread it was with this tutorial. May be you can give it a search...
    Thanx again.

Did you do a data wipe from stock recovery after installing the chinese SBF?

I dint quite get your second question! If you asked :

a.) Can zip be flashed using RSD lite.. No!! You cant. RSD lite understand only proper SBF files with correct checksum!

b.) Can zip be installed from stock recovery: No!! To instal a zip from stock you need the zip to be signed by motorola. That is why the whole concept of 2nd init comes up! It is a recovery menu which comes before the system boots up

Sorry dint see that! I am afraid i think the SBF you flashed has BL7 as someone in the thread mentioned earlier! just to be sure:

1.) Download this .

2.) Extract the sbf and check the cmg versions. Check the version for cmg39.

3.) If it is 7. I am afraid there is no way out yet!! For the time being you are stuck with that SBF!! You are unable to boot because the SBF I gave you and most others has BL6 !!

Sorry again as I dint thought of this possibility earlier! And don't worry much. For now reflash the SBF that is working for you and wait till a way to root it is found!!
    And speaking of it I welcome myself to the group!! :D
    Just got back my Defy+ from service center and after I switched it ON I saw the lockscreen interface was different! A quick check told me that it is the latest SBF they flashed. I kept my fingers crossed. Once back home I checked and found this phone is not rootable!!! :( Now I am stuck too!!