How to root your HTC One S (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

You will need to htcdev bootloader unlock your device to use this root solution.

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash' but it IS a permanent root in all other regards!).

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader, then pressing the power button again to enter fastboot.
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Enjoy! ;)

P

PS If you find this useful, details on how to donate should you wish to do so are in the download topic at MoDaCo.

jammysunny

Feb 13, 2009
Karlsruhe
Hi @All,
I got a problem, cause I rootet my One X with pauls great stuff...
So I wanted to do the same thing with my One S and didnt change superboot with the file r3 superbootandroot, so something happened with my OneS.....it doesnt start and shows me Warning "this is only for blabla" in red....so I went to bootloader, did it right with the right file, and goes till now, cause doing a restart, it shows me only this warning again....I always have to go to bootloader, to start my device right..what can I do?
And in Bootloadermode, the first word is tampered...I know what that means and is there a chance to change it?

Last edited:

jammysunny

Feb 13, 2009
Karlsruhe
Hi Paul, yes, i did a mistake....booting r3 to OneS, not teh right superboot-file...
after that, i bootet it right with superboot, but now "tampered", and everytime i must go to bootloader and boot your file to use my device^^

big thx for Answer!!

ILoveAndroid77

Aug 16, 2010
I also have this **tampered** line before the **unlocked** line, but no issues with booting - everything fine.

Vintos

Sep 30, 2008
Hi
I would like to ask what's the difference between this rooting method compared to the htc official one, especially concerning the warranty part. Is the official htc method a fastboot flash or fastboot boot?
Thanks for this a hundred times.

xkonni

Jan 16, 2010
berlin
There is no official rooting method, just official bootloader unlock.
Rooting is what you do afterwards.
And it just refers to being able to su to root. For this 'fastboot flash' is not necessary if the needed files are copied by a 'fastboot boot'ed image.

You could alter the ramdisk in order to create an insecure boot.img though and that needs to be flashed...

Sent from my HTC One S

Reactions: Vintos

unk2009

Jul 22, 2009
New York(Hudson Valley)
Good afternoon...I was wondering if it is or will it be possible to root without using HTCDEV ? The reason I'm asking is I'm not sure that I want HTC to know, what if I have to send my phone back for say, a cracked screen or something, will my warranty be voided because I rooted using HTCDEV, they would obviously be aware that I'm rooted...HTC pretty much states that if you root your phone your warranty would be invalid...i've been a long time follower/fan since my G1 days, thanks again Modaco
Thanks in advance for your help and any suggestions that you may have...

Found a great tutorial by Torxx in One S Android development, may be helpful to some...
Thanks again XDA

Last edited:

touchhdsteo

Jan 22, 2009
Hello,

I have also **Tempered** in the top of the bootloader. (HTC One S)

after that I tried to do a factory reset but the only thing it does, the phone reboot and there is no new installation. Clear Storage is the same...

How can I get my phone in the state before flashing with "install-superboot-windows.bat"

Is there an original boot.img that I can flash to restore my phone... ?:confused:

xkonni

Jan 16, 2010
berlin
Hello,

I have also **Tempered** in the top of the bootloader. (HTC One S)

after that I tried to do a factory reset but the only thing it does, the phone reboot and there is no new installation. Clear Storage is the same...

How can I get my phone in the state before flashing with "install-superboot-windows.bat"

Is there an original boot.img that I can flash to restore my phone... ?:confused:

whats the problem here? it does not boot?
you cant get rid of the ** TEMPERED ** message for now...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

You will need to htcdev bootloader unlock your device to use this root solution.

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash' but it IS a permanent root in all other regards!).

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader, then pressing the power button again to enter fastboot.
    - WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Enjoy! ;)

P

PS If you find this useful, details on how to donate should you wish to do so are in the download topic at MoDaCo.
    There is no official rooting method, just official bootloader unlock.
    Rooting is what you do afterwards.
    And it just refers to being able to su to root. For this 'fastboot flash' is not necessary if the needed files are copied by a 'fastboot boot'ed image.

You could alter the ramdisk in order to create an insecure boot.img though and that needs to be flashed...

Sent from my HTC One S
    just to let everyone know, it worked on my TMO USA version flawlessly.

still have yet to flash CWM till i hear someone has got it going with no issues.
    I also used this successfully with the T-Mobile One S. Much like the previous poster, it took two attempts to get it to stick. I also turned on "Unknown Sources" before the second attempt, but cannot verify whether or not that made a difference or was merely coincidence. Either way, T-Mo users should be safe with this tool. Thanks Paul.
    Well if you're unlocked already it's actually fairly simple.
    Grab a recovery from the forums (preferably TWRP, CWM has too many issues and not enough features that actually work - no usb storage mount for instance) and fastboot flash that.
    Afterwards get a SuperSU.zip from chainfire and flash that with the recovery. Then you have root.

There isn't really a "permanent root" on the one s. If you change to any custom ROM it will have root integrated but it will also overwrite the root from your previous ROM. SuperSU is part of the system and cannot be kept separately.

Sorry but I don't have the links available right now so you might want to go search for TWRP and SuperSU yourself. ;)

Sent from a phone