(DISCONTINUED)Why HOX cookers are allowed to hide HTC sources for the community?

Search This thread

budensik

Dec 17, 2010
Kraków
FOR HTC Elevate members. If You signed some documents and You can't share what you've got from htc then don't talk about it on forum or pm each other because people get mad .Anyway xda is changing ,people are changing but not in the good way .Well maybe it's time to start a new project with new open minded people and get rid of all those money hungry mothe....

Just think about it how could it be??

kryptoner

Apr 24, 2011
Well you just sound like your all against development altogether? Are you on stock rom and kernel? If HTC is as good as your making it out to be it wouldn't need all of us working on it trying to make it better.

No dude, I do have full respect, but what I expect is some respect from people doing so much for the community towards htc. And no I am on ice cold jelly rom

Sent from my HTC One X

budensik

Dec 17, 2010
Kraków
One more thing i want to say to all of You. This is my first htc phone and honestly now i regret that i got it because of this forum.Check the samsung forum out people don't behave like here and i think the best thing to do is to sell hox because there's no support ,ppl just talk **** to
each other .Maybe some ppl won't like what i just typed but that's sad but true.

Laurentius26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 22, 2005
Sure it's there choice, xda can't stop them.

But the attitude stinks, the cooker has all the benefits of the people who do share there development (using it in his rom). On the other hand he's hiding HTC source roms from them just to be ahead and in the spotlights.

If you want to be a man like that I would say don't use anything this great community brings you and cook your own.

That means, no kitchen, no tools, no tweaks, nothing from this community.

Do you think that person still could cook? ;)

If you're on about people holding files until they have their ROM out first then I agree that it's a bit wrong but, at the end of the day, it's there choice

shadehh

Mar 27, 2011
One more thing i want to say to all of You. This is my first htc phone and honestly now i regret that i got it because of this forum.Check the samsung forum out people don't behave like here and i think the best thing to do is to sell hox because there's no support ,ppl just talk **** to
each other .Maybe some ppl won't like what i just typed but that's sad but true.

Don't worry about what others say this place is a place to state your opinion, believe it or not, although i haven't been in the galaxy s 3 section often (if it is as positive as you state it is) then i agree with you.

But the attitude stinks, the cooker has all the benefits of the people who do share there development (using it in his rom). On the other hand he's hiding HTC source roms from them just to be ahead and in the spotlights.

If you want to be a man like that I would say don't use anything this great community brings you and cook your own.

I think you're speaking for most of us :) You nailed it ;)

I doubt this discussion will change much (or will it?)

Either way, i'm so glad to see that so many people share the same views behind the scenes. I always thought i'm the only one being annoyed by this childish behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurentius26

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
'All of us' is so general as this is a huge community with many different thoughts.
But I think it's good to express ourselves against these people as they destroy a lot of fun for others.

This is not about to mention myself as I still need to learn a lot about Android but think about other Chefs/Developers stop cooking/developing
because they probably don't like this attitude as well.

Imagine you're a rom chef full with ideas and you are dependent to those people
who use your work in there own rom but keeping the sources behind.

What would you do?

I think you're speaking for most of us :) You nailed it ;)

I doubt this discussion will change much (or will it?)

Either way, i'm so glad to see that so many people share the same views behind the scenes. I always thought i'm the only one being annoyed by this childish behavior.

Last edited:

massalami

Apr 1, 2011
In my opinion, that sharing spirit is in conflict when the donation button was created. I do believe cooks deserve every penny they get for their work, but when there's money involved its hard to be so altruistic
Just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Reactions: shadehh

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
@Massalami, before the donation button was introduced donations already existed, so I don't think you can blame the button.

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
@Massalami, before the donation button was introduced donations already existed, so I don't think you can blame the button.

actually i do blame the donation button...since that came along you get a lot of people pretending to be cookers were they merely just slap a theme on a rom and modify a few things or add a few apps and they call it developing a rom...

just head over to the s2 forums and see how many roms are there specially in the android development section...

crying out loud remember last year a guy had a wish list of what he wanted for xmas and urged people to donate to that list...and stupid people were donating towards it..it shows you how much that button can do...but also that button does come in handy because it is like a reward for proper developers or themers who actually do have a talent and i feel by donating an amount is something towards the long hours that they do for us.....might not be much compare to the work they do but it is still something..so it does have it's good points and bad but still i say 90% is bad.

bippo

Dec 29, 2009
show must go on

What I would really like is the mods answer I am wrong, but no reaction, "the show must go on" from "the dark side of the moon" :D
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
P.S. And again this thread is about hiding ROM sources from other developers and making own rules about that!!!!!

Last edited:

kuklux

Aug 12, 2010
Donating to someone is people choice just my cent

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix

but if everyone had the same thing then what is the point? we would all end up with the same rom. so to have one individual rom with the tweaks and mod that is good and that would inspire other devs to work harder to make even something more unique and show off there skilss:)

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
@Goku80, i do have some years of experience on xda and like I said I don't think you can blame the donation button.

Yeah sure a lot of chefs exist nowadays who use work from others in there roms but same counts for devs and I have no idea what the button has to do with that?

It's very easy to make yourself a Paypal button as well and place it on your rom/app introduction post.

But we are going of topic as this thread is about 'Why cookers keep hiding HTC sources for the community'

Last edited:

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
Note land is getting like this. That "go search "
Thing really gets me. A rule is you help others to the best of your ability. Cookers are not real devs ,anyway! Some don't do more than take a deodexed rom grab aroma and stick every mod they can find and think they made something new !!! Lmbo

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
Note land is getting like this. That "go search "
Thing really gets me. A rule is you help others to the best of your ability. Cookers are not real devs ,anyway! Some don't do more than take a deodexed rom grab aroma and stick every mod they can find and think they made something new !!! Lmbo

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

real developers..just look at Cyanogen roms....now that is development or AOKP roms...or Adam G...now he is proper developer or our great Lord Clockan....but still people forget that kernel developers as well..Faux, show-p, Neocort, yes i say him even though he is learning from others he still is doing an amazing work.....i could name few others but will be here all day...Plus look at Mike what he is doing great stuff.:)

but again if everyone shared then would we end up having the same stuff all over the forum....

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
@Goku80,

Real devs yeah many exist here on xda not only in hox section and that's why this thread is so important.

These real devs do share there work while other people are hiding HTC sources to stay a few steps ahead
and meanwhile process that same work into there own roms.

These people who are hiding the HTC sources do use a kitchen/tools/tweaks other people created and shared here, so it's not fair they do that don't you think?

I know you can't do anything about it but it's good to show public the other side as well.

Reactions: PAGOT and mike1986.

Flozzo

Jul 13, 2010
The word 'sources' is a bit misleading in the title. A rom is nothing more than a zip (or a img file in some cases) containing system files. It does indeed not take a lot of skill to make a custom ROM, but a lot of people don't know this and probably assume chefs are coding 24/7, while most copy/paste instead.
Anyway, what I have gathered from this so far is people are getting annoyed by ROM chefs not releasing the bases they use or do not allow others to use their rom as a base. Anyway, to add some heat to the discussion, if a chef has acquired the rom from his contacts and or HTC Elevate, doesn't it mean he may at least use this benefit he has for a few days, since he got it for 'us'?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
Yeah sure it's great he got it for 'us' and we should be thankful for that if the source is getting shared.
But he shouldn't use it in his roms to stay ahead of his fellow chefs/devs who created the tweaks/tools and kitchen.

This hiding is destroying whole xda spirit to my opinion, it's taking out the enthusiasm to share.

Anyway, to add some heat to the discussion, if a chef has acquired the rom from his contacts and or HTC Elevate, doesn't it mean he may at least use this benefit he has for a few days, since he got it for 'us'?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Flozzo

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah sure it's great he got it for 'us' and we should be thankful for that if the source is getting shared.
But he shouldn't use it in his roms to stay ahead of his fellow chefs/devs who created the tweaks/tools and kitchen.

This hiding is destroying whole xda spirit to my opinion, it's taking out the enthusiasm to share.

Now I'm not saying I agree with what he does, in an ideal world he'd share with the community and we'd all be friends. However, this is XDA, donations are on the line and people want to be as popular as they can (sad but true, this actually matters to chefs). He also probably feels entitled to a head start because of his source, which is sorta fair enough. You have to understand this is just an ethical debate with 2 perfectly good arguments, and not much will change, unfortunately.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
I'm no developer but I think it's their personal choice sure sharing is always good but it's up to them if he or she wants to share it or not. It's not like he is holding back the sources forever it's just for 3 days which I think it's fine. Yes I know XDA is al about sharing

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XDA-Developers is about development.

Rules are already laid down to protect the integrity of our forums, with the sole objective so that development persist, no matter of individual or collective choices.

If a user decides to share a RUU, fine, if not, fine again, and here is the reason why: fortunately development does not depend on RUUs, it depends on sources, and, obviously, developers to work with them. Sources are out there published under a licence that allows anyone to modify them and contribute to them in order to achieve a better product, reason why kernel sources have to be posted everytime you decide to share your custom kernel. Android is open source, reason why xda has boosted over the last few years.
    HTC ROMs are not intended to be developed over them (ask their lawyers, heck, ask developers around what they find easier, to compile and modify android sources, or stock firmwares).
    Now, development does not depend upon sharing. Sure, sharing is a great thing, it speeds up development and makes it greater, but, it does not depend on it. That is why sharing in our forums is a private choice.

XDA delopers started with a group of individuals that wanted to "tweak and modify" their stock roms (some developers I can see around here, and I am glad they are still around). It was a time of sharing and development, and there werent as many "issues" with this kind of environment back then. We all miss those times, but it is time we let go, we gotta move on and adapt to our current circumstances and stop trying to go backwards .....in short, develop a new mentality towards how we accept and deal with our current users. Afterall, we are in a development forum right?

RUUs are propietary to HTC, if they get "leaked" into our forums, well, thanks to the leaker, but under no cirmcunstance XDA will allow anyone to be "forced" to do something that they cannot/want to do. Not to HTC or any user for that matter. We do not ask anyone to share anything. If a user decides to share, we all win, if he doesnt decide to share, well, that is his choice, but we (by we I reffer to us as a community) do not depend upon anyone to continue what this forum is about, which is and will always be, development.

Hope the above does not cause any confusion that we (or I) support nonsharing but on the contrary, sharing stuff makes development greater and more fun, but we do know that development does not depend on it :)

Have fun!, but please try to stay within our forum rules, since the nature of this subject I can foresee someone getting angry XD
    A little off topic but I want to mention this one here, cooker/ROM creator baadnews, he was blaming HTC for slow updates a few weeks ago, he was telling why he is going to get s3.. its such a shame that people do not respect the work HTC puts behind sense interface. People like baadnews modify a few things, get reputation on XDA, get some donations and then start blaming htc? The company because of whom you are recognised as a developer in this forum? This is very very unfortunate... at least not expected from a developer like him... anyways...

Sent from my HTC One X

It's rude to just single out certain people, baad has provided us with lots of good things so don't go have a go at him. If I'm thinking correctly he brought us the first jb sense rom and guide how to flash it.

My personal views is that everyone should share whatever they have/create.

This way people can see how and what is done. The only reason I see for some users not sharing, is like the other user posted, they don't want something they "created" in another ROM as they want all the "attention" to themselves, or they are scared that their ROM will become less popular, which I don't see as a problem, if someone prefers another ROM fine, let them use it.

If everybody was open about everything and shared, the rom/kernel development would be of twice the level it is at currently, it would benefit everyone, roms/kernels would have twice the amount of features.

But we still have those individuals who want to be ahead of everyone else and look "the best".

Just my two cents.
    when the rule on XDA is:
    If you are developing something that is based on the work of another Member, and HTC is no member, why to hold for only one member the right to post ROM's based on HTC work (RUU, OTA, etc)???:confused:
    And, when a new RUU of OTA is used for developing a ROM, why have the right to don't share with other developers the source and keep only for himself whatever his name is???:confused:
    Acceptance of such policy will not help HTC community at all, as already proven and give mods just headache.:crying:

P.S. This question is also for mods, the simply answer is to ...don't answer of close thread of delete it but there are coming many annoying new conflicting rules witch make XDA a private club in stead of Share and Care community!
    Thanks Laurentius26, I have change the title of this thread.
    P.P.S. Rule : Sources need to be posted for all kernels!!! but why not for ROM's also???
    P.P.P.S thanks Laurentius26 thread title changed again!
    Not a stupid but a good question. :)

It's because those people can't cook, they need to stay ahead a few steps so they have time to
    process the hard work of those other developers in there roms (the people who do share there personal development).

It's pathetic what these cookers do to my opinion, but XDA can't force those people to share.

If you ask those cookers to share, they always have excuses like 'I need to protect my sources' blablabla.... ;)

If you're on about people holding files until they have their ROM out first then I agree that it's a bit wrong but, at the end of the day, it's there choice