[RECOVERY] Patched TWRP recovery with adb working **UPDATE 10/4/14

Search This thread

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Nice! So nothing else needs to be done besides install zip in recovery?

Right. Now remember not to rely on them for backups. 2.8.0.1 has the issue backing up to external sd where the backups disappear. Test them out and let us know. It doesn't do it for me but it has been discussed heavily in the twrp threads.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tweexter

Aug 28, 2010
Nantucket, MA
Ah thanks for the heads up I will do a backup and then check the SD afterwards.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Right. Now remember not to rely on them for backups. 2.8.0.1 has the issue backing up to external sd where the backups disappear. Test them out and let us know. It doesn't do it for me but it has been discussed heavily in the twrp threads.

It appears to be working. I have the boot, data, and system files in the folder, broken into 1GB or so chunks. Does that sound right?
I feel like way back when I used CWM it dumped everything into one big file.

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
Ah thanks for the heads up I will do a backup and then check the SD afterwards.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

It appears to be working. I have the boot, data, and system files in the folder, broken into 1GB or so chunks. Does that sound right?
I feel like way back when I used CWM it dumped everything into one big file.

It backs up to multiple files for me too, I have tested restores successfully from ext SD card too BTW. My tests were ran with the img though, not the flashable zip, but I would assume they should work the same if it was built with my img file.

Reactions: tdunham

WarAxe

Yeah, I've had that happen a couple times now. [emoji22]

Slimegod

Mar 12, 2011
Every time i boot up to flash my rom using TWRP it goes back to download mode I'm assuming the bootloader is locked from what i see.

Attachments

• 1452441516016.jpg
    1452441516016.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 129

tdunham

Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Every time i boot up to flash my rom using TWRP it goes back to download mode I'm assuming the bootloader is locked from what i see.
Bootloaders are not locked on this phone.
You probably have to delete the hidden twrps file out of the twrp folder to reset twrp settings.
I would odin philz recovery so you flash whatever you need and then deal with twrp later.

Slimegod

Mar 12, 2011
Bootloaders are not locked on this phone.
You probably have to delete the hidden twrps file out of the twrp folder to reset twrp settings.
I would odin philz recovery so you flash whatever you need and then deal with twrp later.

Just out of curiosity, what hidden files are you referring to? I've used TWRP for a while and recently purchased my s5 and never ran into this. Especially from a fresh install of TWRP.

tdunham

Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Just out of curiosity, what hidden files are you referring to? I've used TWRP for a while and recently purchased my s5 and never ran into this. Especially from a fresh install of TWRP.
All versions of twrp I've ever used create a .twrps hidden file in the root of the twrp folder that can be seen by a root browser. It stores the settings for twrp.
If the file gets corrupted or is not compatible across version of twrp, you can either find and delete it (if you can find it) or just delete the entire TWRP folder.
Last thing isn't always an option for some since it deletes any backups in there too.

Slimegod

Mar 12, 2011
All versions of twrp I've ever used create a .twrps hidden file in the root of the twrp folder that can be seen by a root browser. It stores the settings for twrp.
If the file gets corrupted or is not compatible across version of twrp, you can either find and delete it (if you can find it) or just delete the entire TWRP folder.
Last thing isn't always an option for some since it deletes any backups in there too.

Thanks for the quick response and insight. Push come to shove I'll use Philz

Edit: ran into the same issue with Philz recovery so i know it's a phone issue.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As always, you are responsible for your phone, and its warranty

I built this recovery because adb was not working in the official. I have submitted all my changes and I am sure this will be fixed shortly but until then I will put this here. Bassically I compiled the stock ND2 kernel with some small modifications and rebuilt the recovery.img with that. everything else should be exactly the same but honestly I did not test everything so please feel free to let me know.

***UPDATE 10/4/14***
    Created version thats branded as kltespr, did this so CM11 is now able to auto update without modifying the CM package. Also, ADB still works. If anybody knows how to reduce the size of this image, please let me know since it is a little larger than the stock TWRP. Also built an image from the 2.8.0.1 base, which seems to have the same kernel from my original build to enable ADB, all I added here was the mod to kltespr so CM can update.

Use dd to install these images:

Newest Link 10/4/2014, working ADB and branded as kltespr so CM11 auto updates work:
    Working ADB and tagged kltespr so CM11 auto updates work
    Same as above but built from version 2.8.0.1 of TWRP

---Below here are all klte with working ADB, but CM11 fails to auto update complaining of wrong device---
    Here is the link:
    miked63017-openrecovery-twrp.img

Or try to grab it from my drive:
    miked63017-openrecovery-twrp.img

Use odin to install this:
    miked63017-openrecovery-twrp.tar.md5

Kernel Source Used:
    https://github.com/miked63017/SM-G900P_ND2_KERNEL
    Just got a test image from twrp, download should be up as official soon...

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app
    Flashable zips of the 10/4/14 files from the OP.
    Confirmed they are working. Have not tested backup & restore.
    I see that you fixed this a few posts later. I am experiencing the same thing and not sure what to do.

I was going to flash a new ROM. Backed up and then wiped, and on reboot I am getting this "unfortunately, SAE has stopped" error. Not sure how to get rid of it.

I am very inexperienced and not a developer so I really am not sure what you did to fix it reading your follow up posts. Any help please?
    This is a fairly old release and TWRP is no longer compatible with the latest NE5 build unless you are running v2.8.0.1 which is here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727406

Now, with this latest release a certain amount of users are reporting issues with backing up to external SD (TWRP folder appears blank in file explorers but the files are really there). Personally, I have not had this issue so I'm not sure what's going on yet and if its SD card related or what.

If you really want dependable backups and restores, I still recommend Philz Recovery. It has zero issues. However, I still use TWRP for flashing roms, mods updates and such because I prefer the nice touch interface and Philz touch interface is a little flakey for me for constant everyday use.

You can download any of these current recoveries from my hosted file server here:
    KLTE Recoveries

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Saw you edited while I was going on and on. Glad you got it worked out.
    Still, some good info to know about TWRP and the latest NE5 build we are using on the Sprint Galaxy S5.
    Hey Mike TWRP updated official not sure if adb working I haven't tried it yet.. Thanks!

What's new in 2.7.1.0:

Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    Improvements to USB storage handling
    Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    Various other bugfixes and tweaks