[$$$$$BOUNTY] To any dev that can write a apk to setup wifi bluetooth and adb debug

Search This thread

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
I along with the others in the community have recently been served by GOOGLE with the pull of the apk servers.

If you happen to hard reset your Q then your Q can no longer be setup rendering it useless.

I am willing to payout $50.00 to any dev that can engineer an apk that will allow the user to setup a stock NEXUS Q without googles servers.

The APK will have to do the following -> access and setup the initial setup, this includes, wifi, bluetooth, nfc and adb debugging to be able to load APK's to the systems as I am sure many will be coming that will make the Q worth building this for, hence why GOOGLE pulled the servers because they saw this coming ....all as the original apk did but without the GOOGLE servers or need for servers.

I have 3 of these units and they are great for music, I love the internal amps and want to retain all the internal functions of the ports, also the audio is better quality when stock compared to rooted and cm10.1'ed.

I have one working setup still, one on the shelf and one with cm10.1 working with cheapcast.

Bounty is as follows this will be updated as members add their payment amounts.

IAN-$50.00

***If you are going to attempt this or have questions DEVS email me is best.***

Thanks-Ian

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
I along with the others in the community have recently been served by GOOGLE with the pull of the apk servers.

If you happen to hard reset your Q then your Q can no longer be setup rendering it useless.

I am willing to payout $50.00 to any dev that can engineer an apk that will allow the user to setup a stock NEXUS Q without googles servers.

The APK will have to do the following -> access and setup the initial setup, this includes, wifi, bluetooth, nfc and adb debugging to be able to load APK's to the systems as I am sure many will be coming that will make the Q worth building this for, hence why GOOGLE pulled the servers because they saw this coming ....all as the original apk did but without the GOOGLE servers or need for servers.

I have 3 of these units and they are great for music, I love the internal amps and want to retain all the internal functions of the ports, also the audio is better quality when stock compared to rooted and cm10.1'ed.

I have one working setup still, one on the shelf and one with cm10.1 working with cheapcast.

Bounty is as follows this will be updated as members add their payment amounts.

IAN-$50.00

***If you are going to attempt this or have questions DEVS email me is best.***

Thanks-Ian

put this to the top sticky please

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
The problem I see is the Q's original BT authentication method has to hacked. If this passes through the servers then this is a serious hurdle. You cannot pair anything that requires you enter a pin on the Q as the dialog doesn't even exist. Considering how crippled stock is, unlocking and installed either a stock based ROM or CM10 would be my suggestion.

Last edited:

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
The problem I see is the Q's original BT authentication method has to hacked. If this passes through the servers then this is a serious hurdle. You cannot pair anything that requires you enter a pin on the Q as the dialog doesn't even exist. Considering how crippled stock is, unlocking and installed either a stock based ROM or CM10 would be my suggestion.

Well if someone can write a stock rom or explain how to get adb debugging via usb working without the need to authorized it that would be a start. Because adb via wifi doesnt get the prompt and once you hookup a mouse in host mode you can not get the same usb to mount adb.

Any suggestions??

That is the biggest road block for me, while i know you can work around that it is a big crippling part of the q.

Is there enough interest for a dev to look at the factory setup procedure and see if they can re engineer around needing the servers? ? IDK

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Well if someone can write a stock rom or explain how to get adb debugging via usb working without the need to authorized it that would be a start. Because adb via wifi doesnt get the prompt and once you hookup a mouse in host mode you can not get the same usb to mount adb.

Any suggestions??

That is the biggest road block for me, while i know you can work around that it is a big crippling part of the q.

Is there enough interest for a dev to look at the factory setup procedure and see if they can re engineer around needing the servers? ? IDK

There has been a working stock based ROM for about a year now. Prior to Google killing the Q function it worked as a dual mode with Nova Launcher as a desktop. Even now the desktop mode still works. All that's needed is a keyboard. Also ADB starts on boot even on a fresh install and even after a hard reset. In the current test build everything except Q mode and BT work.

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
There has been a working stock based ROM for about a year now. Prior to Google killing the Q function it worked as a dual mode with Nova Launcher as a desktop. Even now the desktop mode still works. All that's needed is a keyboard. Also ADB starts on boot even on a fresh install and even after a hard reset. In the current test build everything except Q mode and BT work.

Are you talking about the one I used in my tutorial?

In dual boot does it have external AMP support?

So it does not prompt you for authorizing ADB once you try to? all 4.2.2 roms include that unless someone deved around that.

Yes I can adb in recovery on the rom I am using but not once booted into the rom it comes up unauthorized.

My Q's must have internal amp support. That is the whole point of the Q, if it doesn't why wouldn't I just go get a Denon Receiver and plug in a chrome cast??

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Are you talking about the one I used in my tutorial?

In dual boot does it have external AMP support?

So it does not prompt you for authorizing ADB once you try to? all 4.2.2 roms include that unless someone deved around that.

Yes I can adb in recovery on the rom I am using but not once booted into the rom it comes up unauthorized.

My Q's must have internal amp support. That is the whole point of the Q, if it doesn't why wouldn't I just go get a Denon Receiver and plug in a chrome cast??

Which tutorial, what ROM?

The ROM I'm talking about supports every function that the stock Q does. BT never worked correctly without a workaround on the Q initially. The needed support was missing in the stock firmware when they released it.

It does not require ADB auth to connect.

Again, it supports every function that the stock Q does as well as having Nova as a "desktop".

(hint- check my sig)

Last edited:

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
Which tutorial, what ROM?

The ROM I'm talking about supports every function that the stock Q does. BT never worked correctly without a workaround on the Q initially. The needed support was missing in the stock firmware when they released it.

It does not require ADB auth to connect.

Again, it supports every function that the stock Q does as well as having Nova as a "desktop".

(hint- check my sig)

So how do you log in to it without the nexus q apk not working now since its stock based?

darb

Apr 5, 2010
I'm game to try this on my one rooted q running cm10.1 is it possible to and chromecast support or cheapcast to it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
So how do you log in to it without the nexus q apk not working now since its stock based?

Are you talking ADB or initial setup? If you are talking ADB, then there is no login. Simply connect the Q to your computer and start ADB. If you are talking inital setup then you connect a KB and hit the "HOME" key and it skips setup and takes you to Nova launcher.

I'm game to try this on my one rooted q running cm10.1 is it possible to and chromecast support or cheapcast to it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Your best option is to use BubbleUPnP and AirCast or similar app to fill in the gaps. Depending on how things go I may have an update in the next week or so.

Last edited:

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
Are you talking ADB or initial setup? If you are talking ADB, then there is no login. Simply connect the Q to your computer and start ADB. If you are talking inital setup then you connect a KB and hit the "HOME" key and it skips setup and takes you to Nova launcher.

Your best option is to use BubbleUPnP and AirCast or similar app to fill in the gaps. Depending on how things go I may have an update in the next week or so.
how is that updated rom coming for the q?

nimmzwei

May 3, 2010
Upnpcast...

For everyone still looking for Chromecast support: You may try upnpcast by bubbleguum. It runs as a service on your phone / tablet and enables you to cast to any dlna renderer on your network.
The cool thing about it is, that it works right out of the gmusic app on your phone. As soon as a dlna device is detected on your network,the chromecast button will appear in the gmusic app. Just select the renderer you want to play to and you are good to go.
To play to the Q, install cm10.1 and a dlna renderer (I use bubbleupnp). Running for hours now without a prob. Note though, that the app is 1.99 for unlimited use.

Last edited:

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Due to the oppressive heat in my home I purchased some portable A/C units. It cost me going to and speaking at the Big Android BBQ this year which kind of bites as it was to one my last one for a while (baby on the way). Good news is that it is cool enough to run my box and now have a ton of time to dev.

How would you guys fell about xbmc/yatse vs bubble? I'll post more details as they become available.

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
Due to the oppressive heat in my home I purchased some portable A/C units. It cost me going to and speaking at the Big Android BBQ this year which kind of bites as it was to one my last one for a while (baby on the way). Good news is that it is cool enough to run my box and now have a ton of time to dev.

How would you guys fell about xbmc/yatse vs bubble? I'll post more details as they become available.

I installed your ROM last night working well. Is there a way to default it to boot to the launcher without it being attached to a keyboard or display seems some of the other streaming options don't load till it hits the launcher screen other then that cheapcast is always working for me. Wish we could also get the q to sleep when unused and turn off the ring.

mannberg

Nov 20, 2011
Can we build a chromecast rom without using cheapcast? I.e lunch the same software as the chromecast device on our Q's?

If we build chromium content shell for android and feed it the app.conf from the chromecast firmware OTA (I cant post links so I cant post the full app.conf)? Or do we need something more? Any linux/android experts have a clue? We can build the content_shell using the build instructions on the chromium wiki @ goggle code. (I cant post outside links). I cant find any web-server or something like that in the chromecast OTA 12940 firmware dump I found on the internet. Does the content_shell include a web-server?

app.conf
Code:
[
  {
    "url": "${POST_DATA}", 
    "local_only": true, 
    "app_name": "Fling", 
    "use_channel": true
  }, 
  {
    "url": "XXX/tv?${POST_DATA}", 
    "app_name": "YouTube", 
  }, 
  {
    "url": "XXX/tv/i/mixed?${POST_DATA}", 
    "allow_empty_post_data": true, 
    "app_name": "IMAX", 
  }, 
  {
    "dial_info": "<port>9080</port><capabilities>websocket</capabilities>", 
    "command_line": "/bin/logwrapper /netflix/bin/netflix_init --data-dir /data/netflix/data -I /data/netflix/AACS -D QWS_DISPLAY=directfb -D LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/system/lib:/netflix/qt/lib -D NF_PLAYREADY_DIR=/data/netflix/playready -D KEYSTORE=/data/netflix/AACS -D KEYBOARD_PORT=7000 -D ENABLE_SECURITY_PATH=1 -D DISABLE_SECURITY_PATH_VIDEO=0 -D DISABLE_SECURITY_PATH_AUDIO=1 --dpi-friendlyname ${FRIENDLY_NAME} -Q source_type=12&dial=${URL_ENCODED_POST_DATA}", 
    "app_name": "Netflix", 
    "external": true
  }, 
  {
    "url": "XXX/cv/receiver.html?${POST_DATA}", 
    "app_name": "ChromeCast", 
  }, 
  {
    "url": "XXX/video/avi/eureka?${URL_ENCODED_POST_DATA}", 
    "app_name": "PlayMovies", 
  }, 
  {
    "url": "XXX/eureka/sample/tictactoe/tictactoe.html?${POST_DATA}", 
    "app_name": "TicTacToe", 
  }
]

it seems like the content_shell is launched with this script

Code:
#!/bin/sh

exec /bin/logwrapper /chrome/content_shell --webcore-log-channels=Media --app-config-path=/app.conf --vmodule=*third_party/libjingle/*=3,rendezvous_connection=2,*=0 --js-flags="--trace_gc"