Samsung Galaxy Phone Rapid Charger Mod

Search This thread

stenky87

Jan 7, 2012
Bolzano
thank you for the giude, I have also 2 extra battery, and i i charge the battery and the phone together the charger reach its "fusion Temp" (), not funny..

K.AuthoR

Nov 30, 2008
This thread is amazing and I'm doing this to all of my non-Samsung chargers ASAP. I do have a question though, and I'm hoping someone here could answer it. In my experience, I've noticed that some Samsung phones, when connected to a PC, will only do charging mode, and won't show that it's connected to a PC (ie, usb storage and debugging never show up), with different computers, and with different Samsung phones. I have narrowed it down to only being a possibility of the cable I'm using not being Samsung branded because the phones show up with PC options when I switch to a Samsung cable. Is there a physical difference in the cable itself, or am I just crazy?

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Some cheap USB cables that you get with other devices only have two wires and will only charge. For example the USB cable that came with my Bluetooth headset to charge it, and it will not allow data to my phone.

Stylezor

Jan 13, 2012
U gave me the idea, and i asked a friend yesterday and we used another charger, and it works fine... i hope my battery dont get destroyed by doing that. Im testing with an older phone.

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
you battery will be fine. it makes the phone thinks its an official charger. nothing else.

samotronta05

Jun 5, 2010
NRW
This mod seems to worked fine,
but can anybody confirm that it is really necessary to connect D+ and D- rather than just having a defined potential at the datalines.
I can remember i modified a charger years ago by simply soldering the D+ line to GND in order to make the device entering the charging mode.

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Been up an official Samsung charger this is how it is done.
Also if you want to read up on AdamOutlers UART work there's 100 different resistance values you can put between the two data pins to cause the phone to do a 100 different actions..... A pure short between the two pins without resistance causes AC charging mode, and a resistance of 301K Ohm will cause the phone to go into download mode (you know, a Download mode jig....)

Last edited:
Reactions: kmbd

roboMr.Burns

May 29, 2011
Hannover
Hey, very inspiring. I quickly measured my HTC charger for my Desire HD.
I found out that the resistance between pin 2 and 3 is 0 Ohms so now ill open up my cheap hama Usb charger and add an MEGAcharche butten! Thanks a lot!

mbush78

Dec 30, 2009
Seabrook, TX
MatrixInc.me
Where is it?

I know this thread is a few months old but...

Where is this screen at?

AFTER:
500ma.jpg

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
This mod seems to worked fine,
but can anybody confirm that it is really necessary to connect D+ and D- rather than just having a defined potential at the datalines.
I can remember i modified a charger years ago by simply soldering the D+ line to GND in order to make the device entering the charging mode.

Shorting D+ to D- is the official way to signal a "dumb" charger per the USB battery charging standard.

That's why HTC MicroUSB chargers will usually get recognized properly by Samsung devices - because they both follow the MicroUSB charging standard.

Prior to MicroUSB, things were more complex - many devices used a normally unconnected pin on the MiniUSB port to signal a dumb charger. HTCs grounded it I think, Garmins and TomToms connected a resistor between it and ground.

iDevices use nonstandard methods (D+ and D- held at two separate voltages) which is why many Samsungs think they are a PC USB port.

Samsung tablets are a bit nonstandard - they expect D+ and D- to be held at 1.2 volts instead of merely shorted together.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Saw this from the front page. I used to do this for my Dell Streak since it wouldn't charge from generic car usb chargers.

Anyway, here's a good site to get more info about USB pin outs http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
A simple USB charger should short the 2 data lines together. The device will then not attempt to transmit or receive data, but can draw up to 1.8A, if the supply can provide it.

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
how is your screen messed up?
does it only happen when charging? what type of charger did you modify?

did you solder the connection?
are you sure you didnt cross 6v+ power to the data line(s)? < that would do it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post will show you how to MOD an un-official Samsung USB wall charger into one that will enable full speed charging on Samsung Galaxy S phones.

8 $ ebay cheap wall battery charger power output specs:

350 mA battery charging speed - doesnt matter...
    800 mA USB port.. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!! more the better. nice if the phone would use all of it... Need AC Mode... (thats what this post is for!)
    Samsung wall USB charger is only 750mA! AND it will set AC mode.

The theory behind it is with samsung galaxy phones and "official chargers":
    if the middle 2 data pins on the usb, while getting 5v to the outer 2 pins it tells the phone that it is an *official samsung* charger and enables full speed charging.

without the middle 2 pins connected (with or without data flow) will not charge at full speed. even if you supply 800mA it will only charge around 350mA

well there have been posts of cable hacks to do this or adapters... ha! tape and tinfoil... or hack the cable apart! And you cant use the cable with the PC anymore!
    heres my mod... bend 2 pins.. DONE! solder if you know how for better connection!

***only use this charger for samsung phones, not all USB devices will like this, -may dammage some- as the samsung phone is PROGRAMMED to know what to do if the 2 data pins are shorted out***

Phone confirms AC charging NOT USB NOW!!
    Now i can leave my Samsung Charger upstairs, and this one downstairs.

Rapid%20Charger.JPG

You know how long it takes to charge an extended battery on USB mode? almost 5 hours! or at 350 mah in the battery charger? almost 7 hours!
    I was able to charge my extended battery (says 2500mah) from 8% to 100% in about 2 hours 45 min over USB cable (AC mode) with the screen off. In the official samsung charger it was a little over 3 hours. just in the battery cradle it takes around 5-6 hours. Very much improved!
    Good guide. I did the same modification to my Verizon car charging cable. I don't have Verizon, but I swapped an iPhone car charger with a verizon user who got rid of his Motorola Android.

This mod works on any charger. The device will always display "Charging(AC)" and this enables full charging capability.

I modded my cable by taking apart the microUSB connector and dropping a bit of solder between pins 2 and 3 on the back side of the connector. It works great.

Do not do this on a cable which may be connected to a PC. If the PC is older and does not have overcurrent protection, it may fry the USB Power Supply.
    Do you mean to build a kernel that has different settings for the USB resistor input? What/where was the specific change you made?

Voltage regulator and the charging current part: max8998-private.h, a file that contains charging values in mA:

Code:
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_90		0
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_380	1
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_475	2
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_550	3
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_570	4
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_600	5
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_700	6
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_800	7

Battery driver part: s5pc110_battery.c and defined AC and USB charging rates (modified by me to 800mA when on AC and 550mA on USB):

Code:
                          if (chg->cable_status == CABLE_TYPE_AC)
    				max8998_write_reg(i2c, MAX8998_REG_CHGR1,
    					(MAX8998_TOPOFF_10	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_TOPOFF) |
    					(MAX8998_RSTR_DISABLE	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_RSTR) |
    					(MAX8998_ICHG_800	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_ICHG));
    			else if (chg->cable_status == CABLE_TYPE_USB)
    				max8998_write_reg(i2c, MAX8998_REG_CHGR1,
    					(MAX8998_TOPOFF_25	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_TOPOFF) |
    					(MAX8998_RSTR_DISABLE	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_RSTR) |
    					(MAX8998_ICHG_550	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_ICHG));

One more thing in i9000 kernel sources: drivers/usb/gadget/android.c

Code:
    #ifdef CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SAMSUNG_COMPOSITE
    /* soonyong.cho : This value of max power is referred from S1 */
    	[COLOR="Red"].bMaxPower	= 0x30, /* 96ma */[/COLOR]
    #else /* original */
    	[COLOR="YellowGreen"].bMaxPower	= 0xFA, /* 500ma */[/COLOR]
    #endif /* CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SAMSUNG_COMPOSITE

from where I removed the condition to make it look like that:
    Code:
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"].bMaxPower	= 0xFA, /* 500ma */[/COLOR]

BEFORE:
    96ma.jpg

AFTER:
    500ma.jpg
    usbcable.jpg

Here is a picture of the pinouts in a usb cable..

Now obviously you have the 5V, Ground, and data, but then where would you add in more power?
    Wow i'm so lost, so does this apply to the vibrant...

You know maybe I have had my foot up my ass for sometime then..

I ALWAYS charge my phone with the USB charger connected to the computer and it seems to take forever...

You must forgive me but I always leave my phone charging on my PC everynight and have actually lost the AC power wall plug portion...

Will connecting this through the USB of the computer also only supply the 350mA instead of the full 800mA like your saying, or will the computer always deliver the sexy amount?

Thank you sir, you are a genius?

if the 2 data pins arent joined the phone WILL NOT receive anymore than 350. this tells the phone "im an official charger, take more!"
    if you are going to mod a cable to have the 2 data pins joined, make sure the 2 pins shorted on the phone end and NOT THE PC END of the cable, and NOT BOTH EITHER. shorting the data pins on the computer side can blow your usb port.... or more.