Headphones Too Loud

Search This thread

mitchgyke

Oct 23, 2010
Not sure if I'm just getting old, but dang the volume seems way too loud when I try and use headphones on my GT 10.1 Wifi. Even on the lowest level. Any way to lower the default volume level for headphones?

5thElement

Jun 29, 2011
Yes, this is a volume level software defect stupid Samsung engineers screwed up. Its mind boggling how they tested this and thought to themselves "Yes, this is good".

Going from mute to the lowest volume level is ridiculously loud in a quiet room when using either the speakers or head phones. The funny thing is going to the next 2 or 3 steps up barely increases the volume. Its all screwed up.

It really does suck and Im not sure Samsung has any plans on fixing this.

PhantomHacker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2010
Yes, this is a volume level software defect stupid Samsung engineers screwed up. Its mind boggling how they tested this and thought to themselves "Yes, this is good".

Going from mute to the lowest volume level is ridiculously loud in a quiet room when using either the speakers or head phones. The funny thing is going to the next 2 or 3 steps up barely increases the volume. Its all screwed up.

It really does suck and Im not sure Samsung has any plans on fixing this.

If you rooted flash a kernel that supports voodoo sound, then download voodoo control or voodoo control plus and lower the headphone amplifier.

5thElement

Jun 29, 2011
That does not work. Voodoo control does not work to lower the volume. Yes there is an option to lower the gain on the amplifier but it does not work and its very buggy when you map the hardware volume buttons to the voodoo gain control. I tried it.

devadvance

Aug 3, 2010
That does not work. Voodoo control does not work to lower the volume. Yes there is an option to lower the gain on the amplifier but it does not work and its very buggy when you map the hardware volume buttons to the voodoo gain control. I tried it.

Voodoo control works for me. Rooted with Starbust UEKME and pershoot's kernel. I have custom IEMs with an input sensitivity of 119dB at 1mW. I have to set it to -55 dB on Voodoo.

Last edited:

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
For some reason I don't have this problem. I have never used lower volume then about 25%, usually it's at about 50%. BTW my hearing is just fine. I use a-JAYS Three headphones.
I think the impedance of the headphones plays a role in this. Headphones with lower impedance are louder.

5thElement

Jun 29, 2011
Yes impedance definitely plays a role but the problem is with standard headphone impedance the volume is WAY too loud.

This is a big problem with the tab 10. Speakers play way too loud at the lowest volume setting....you hear me Samsung!! You hear me!!!!!:mad:

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
I just tried the built in speakers, one step up from muted and i can hear that it's playing very quietly if i hold the tablet normally. I need to put my ear next to the speaker to really hear enough to understand what song is playing.
So clearly my tablet doesn't have this problem.

5thElement

Jun 29, 2011
On a standard UK rom here and my speakers appear to be fine, not too loud. Odd.

There is nothing odd about it. Your unit is exactly the same as ours. Different people have different hearing sensitivity. My hearing is excellent and above average so I can hear the music play too loud even on the lowest setting. Others will figure it is fine as hearing sensitivity varies.

The volume levels are simply all screwed up. You can see for yourself as turning the volume from 1 to the next 2 levels and the volume barely increases. Going from 1 to 2 almost does not even increase the volume at all. Going to 3 only increases it slightly then 4 and up increase at too high of levels to make up for the lack of volume increase going from 1 - 2 and 2 - 3. The levels are all screwed up. Horrible job by samsung.

5thElement

Jun 29, 2011
You can buy headphones with a volume control or a in-line volume control adapter for headphones but that still does not resolve the issue for the output to the speakers.