[MOD][ROOT] VZW GN2 GSM Unlock - Add APN Data - Remove Non-Verizon SIM Message

Search This thread

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
Thanks. Yes, I did check out the OP. Global APN keeps crashing/freezing on my device. No luck with that.

Method 2: I'm not good at ADB. Can I just change the APN from with Root Explorer as a text file by adding the Bell APNs?

Easiest bet is to copy that file in root explorer to your sdcard and edit it on a computer when you get a chance. You could do it on root explorer, but it will take a little while.

Be sure to copy the original as well and save it as a .bak or something in the same folder before you replace with a modified version.

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
Could I use this to unlock the other verizon apns cuz ive only have to apn my network type is lte 14 n im on 4g n only getting 115 to 105dbm n 34 asu so im wondering if I change to the other apns id get better signal n data speeds n I know I get better signal cuz wit my bolt on 4g I was getting 85 to 90dbm n 4 asu

I believe it has all the Verizon APNs in the file already, unless you know something we dont.

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
I was able to see the H sign pop up using Red Pocket. Couldn't test the actual speed because I had terrible coverage when I was testing.

I did flash this one on my Beans V2 ROM. However, two possible issues:

1. (may or may not be related to this) I lost the "Custom Settings" in the Settings. This is where I'd change settings related to Beans' ROM.

2. APN was able to be added after flashing which is great. I went ahead and added the APN settings for Red Pocket. Turned off the phone, replaced the sim card and turned it back on. Poof! All APN's (including all the ones for Verizon) were gone! Went ahead and added Red Pocket. Then it worked and I had data. After putting the Verizon sim back in I noticed all the APN settings were back including the Red Pocket one I had entered prior to putting my Red Pocket sim in (the one I had entered after pitting Red Pocket in was gone)! So is this normal? Are the APN settings stored on the sim card and not the phone?

1. Is a good point. I know Adrynalyne mentioned a few posts back that he will gladly help devs incorperate this into their roms. It may also be possible to create a flash that injects the code instead of a whole new APK but I will have to talk with him about that.

Quick clarification on your 2nd post - when I went through it I added the AT&T APNs in when I was using the VZW SIM (I didn't see it listed even after adding it). Then when I switched to the AT&T SIM the AT&T entries showed up and I was able to pick between (no VZW entries showed up). Sounds like what happened to you except you had that extra Red Pocket entry when you went back to the VZW sim. Were the two entries identical? All the APN settings as far as we know are stored on the phone.

Reactions: XooLoo

jayhammy

Aug 20, 2010
Schenectady, NY
unlocked (finally!) but Bell Mobility Canada doesn't register

I flashed the APK via TWRP and was able to add the APN for Bell Mobility. However, data never appears. No "H" no 3G, no anything. Just 4 or 5 bars but no data.

Please advise! Thanks.

dms76

Sep 28, 2009
Akron, OH
Works like a charm, all I did was install APN_Editor 1.1 and never seen the non-verizon sim card message.
The only thing I noticed is my phone now seems to take longer to obtain signal after a boot up.

Last edited:

jellydroid13

Oct 15, 2011
So for using this on T-mobile I am only getting EDGE which is expected but if I am in an area of T-mobile's Reframed network with HSPA+ running on the 1900mhz band I will get 4g?

spiderbolt

May 2, 2012
I believe it has all the Verizon APNs in the file already, unless you know something we dont.

I dont know anything about this lol all I know is I have really crapy 4g signal n I can only select two outta how every many vzw apns n I just wanna know if this would unlock/allow me to select one of the other vzw apns

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
I flashed the APK via TWRP and was able to add the APN for Bell Mobility. However, data never appears. No "H" no 3G, no anything. Just 4 or 5 bars but no data.

Please advise! Thanks.

Do you see the APN that you added under the APN list when you have your Bell Mobility card in?

You usually have to manually select it.

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
Would love to know this too. OP?

I actually want to know the same thing?

I assume you both have Verizon? I also assume the VZW SGS3 does not have the menu option to add an APN either?

It shouldn't be too hard to make it work on the SGS3, however, I haven't looked into it nor has Adrynalyne to my knowledge.

At the moment you should be able to use imnuts' APN config file, Method #2 in the OP, or by adding custom APN entries or by using APN Global.

Last edited:

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
So for using this on T-mobile I am only getting EDGE which is expected but if I am in an area of T-mobile's Reframed network with HSPA+ running on the 1900mhz band I will get 4g?

Good question - from what I can gather from the FCC reports it wont happen.

Even though they run on the same frequency for faster than edge data, Tmobile is using WCDMA/HSPA 1900 while VZW is UMTS 1900.

I know UMTS uses W-CDMA, however, that doesn't make it work with HSPA.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in this matter can correct me or add on to this if I am wrong or lacking details.

Reactions: jellydroid13

jayhammy

Aug 20, 2010
Schenectady, NY
I managed to unlock the bootloader and flash Beans v2 ROM. After that, I was able to add the APN information for Bell Mobility. Thus, I can confirm that this hack works and I get H+ speeds over 10Mbps down and 5 up. THANKS!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

pschatz12

Jul 1, 2012
Central NJ
I managed to unlock the bootloader and flash Beans v2 ROM. After that, I was able to add the APN information for Bell Mobility. Thus, I can confirm that this hack works and I get H+ speeds over 10Mbps down and 5 up. THANKS!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

This should be the same for tmobile then?

Sent from my Unlocked & Loaded Beast!

dms76

Sep 28, 2009
Akron, OH
T-Mobile, EDGE connection here too. So slow, haha. And MMS doesn't work neither, but call and SMS does.

Your data probably isn't setup correctly, try downloading the apn configuration at beginning of thread or download apn global and make it a system app.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

leond

Jul 15, 2008
Boston
Hi guys, sorry for a bit of off topic here, I am trying to achieve GSM with local carriers on Sprint Galaxy Note 2 and would like to request a CWM/TWM (or worst case ODIN) flashable Verizon Galaxy Note 2 modem/radio, because the stock Sprint radio is programmed to ignore US GSM carriers. Thank you in advance!

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
Hi guys, sorry for a bit of off topic here, I am trying to achieve GSM with local carriers on Sprint Galaxy Note 2 and would like to request a CWM/TWM (or worst case ODIN) flashable Verizon Galaxy Note 2 modem/radio, because the stock Sprint radio is programmed to ignore US GSM carriers. Thank you in advance!

Can you even access your SIM card on the Sprint GN2?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Overview:
    There are a number of threads out there discussing if the VZW GN2 is carrier unlocked and what methods work, etc and I am creating this thread to pull it all together.

First and foremost, the VZW GN2 comes SIM unlocked out of the box. It is global ready and you can technically put in any SIM (assuming it is active) and not need an unlock code or the unlock method you have seen in other posts (AT&T or T-Mobile variants). This includes domestic carriers such as AT&T and T-mobile. Also voice should work without any changes, however, data will not work unless you add APN data.

Verizon chose to only put their APN data on the phone and block the ability to add APN data via settings. Most likely so you use their global services to make more $$$.

How to add APN data:
    In order to get data working you have to add carrier specific data to the apns-conf.xml file. While you may have been able to do this is in the past on other devices under settings, VZW has blocked this.

Method 1:
    See Adrynalyne's post below (Post #2) for a flashable mod (via custom recovery) that will enable the Add APN menu by removing Verizon's block. (For deodexed roms only)

Method 2:
    1. Ensure your phone is rooted
    2. adb pull /system/etc/apns-conf.xml
    3. Add the carrier data to apns-conf.xml with your favorite text/xml editor and save
    4. adb push your modified apn-conf.xml file back to /sdcard/
    5. Copy this file back to /system/etc/ and change permissions (I use root explorer)
    6. Power down and change your SIM card (AT&T, T-mobile, whatever) if you hadn't already done so
    7. Power back on and go to Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names (if done properly you should see the APN data you entered for your respective carrier).
    8. Select one of the APN listings and then you should have working data
    9. Profit

VZW & AT&T APN Settings:
    A working example so you can see how I added additional lines at the beginning for AT&T 3G/HSDPA+/Tether/MMS
    http://pastebin.com/ms7a07sE

Removing the Non-Verizon SIM message :
    This will occur on roms that include Samsung's Setup Wizard (including stock) - all others can ignore

Method 1:
    - Freeze "Setup wizard 1.0" in Titanium Backup

Method 2:
    See imnuts' post below (Post #4) regarding replacing a file (for deodexed roms only)​

Credits:
    Adrynalyne: Removing VZW's lame Add APN block
    GermanGuy: AT&T APN data
    GitNick: Helping me tinker around and finding the secret menus
    imnuts: Removing non-VZW SIM nag and APN list from international GN2
    thevsg: Testing SinTel sim to confirm unlock with foreign carrier

NOTE: I am not responsible for any issues caused by tinkering around with this due to the nature of root and messing with /system. Use this at your own risk and ask someone if you have any question before doing something that may mess up your device.
    Ok, I have confirmed this to work, and works well with imnut's mod to remove the sim warning.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wqmad2ypgsyd75z

This enables the apn editor under settings.

Go to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names, menu button.

This is a flashable mod! :D

Screenshot_2012-12-11-22-51-29.png

Note to rom devs: Feel free to use this, but give credit where due. Trust me, I will know if you kang it ;)
    If anyone is interested, I combined the International Note 2 (N7100), AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon apns-conf.xml file to create what is hopefully a fairly complete APNs list. Not saying it will work for your carrier, or that it works at all (remember, I don't have a device yet ;)), but people can use it if they wish. I put it on Pastebin for everyone's viewing pleasure and you can get it here.
    I hate double posting, but if people also want to get rid of the annoying ongoing notification when using a non-VZW SIM card, I've found the culprit and fixed it. Download this apk for a deodexed ROM and replace the original in /system/app/, then reboot. Make sure that /system is mounted as read/write before copy/pasting, and also that you're on a deodexed ROM. After copying it over, reboot and you shouldn't have the ongoing notification anymore.
    Thanks for your work. I flashed it in recovery. However, under Mobile Network when I hit menu, my only option is reset to default just like before. I'm on Beans V2 ROM. Any help will be appreciated.

Total derpage on my part.

Here you go. I also updated original post.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wqmad2ypgsyd75z