Oct 12, 2011
Reactions: edimonoarfa

rc420head

Jan 14, 2013
New Lenox
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 6a
No that's a kernel issue

Its a HTC security measure which stops your ability to change the system example with s-on you can't update superSU binary, can't delete system apps and can't install busy box

Sent from my HTC One mini using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well being able to delete system apps is a kernel thing.
S-off will allow you to flash Rom from recovery without having to fastboot kernel also allows you to write to any blk so in the future when HTC updates your firmware you won't have to go back to stock and take the ota you can flash new firmware useing fastboot. This is a blessing from the android gods. You should do it before HTC closes the exploit

Sent from my HTC One S using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

edimonoarfa

Sep 18, 2009
Jakarta
Realme Narzo 30 5G
Its a HTC security measure which stops your ability to change the system example with s-on you can't update superSU binary, can't delete system apps and can't install busy box

Thank you
I've tried several times to s-off mine but always ended up to fail.
First, when it tried to update, it said "something stinky", i don't now if it was a success or not
Second, pouring til 8 times, ended with "wait 30 seconds, pray and boot"

Is something wrong? I think i fulfill everyting needs before

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7

That's incorrect, s-off, or security off, has nothing to do with system write protection, which is what you're referring to.

S-off gives you the ability to write low-level unsigned files to your device, such as bootloaders, splash images, etc.

The two are completely different things, and you can have one without having the other.

Ergo Proxy

Jul 16, 2012
London
I'm on hboot 2.21, stock odex stock rom 4.4.2 rooted but for some reason, renove or rumrunner doesn't work for me. Rumrunner gets stuck on 8 out of 40 or something after rebooting. Renove gives me -1 or -2 error and doesn't s-off, can anyone tell me what's wrong? I've followed the instructions perfectly, even flashed the recommended rom..

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

CONdemmedNORmal

Oct 12, 2011
That's incorrect, s-off, or security off, has nothing to do with system write protection, which is what you're referring to.

S-off gives you the ability to write low-level unsigned files to your device, such as bootloaders, splash images, etc.

The two are completely different things, and you can have one without having the other.

Not now there has been more development no, but this was the case with the m4 to start with, you couldnt do anything to the system without it, for example deleting a system app no matter what you done to delete it would just cause the phone to instantly reboot and the app still be there, i know this personally from experience with my own phone, thats why i said this.

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
Not now there has been more development no, but this was the case with the m4 to start with, you couldnt do anything to the system without it, for example deleting a system app no matter what you done to delete it would just cause the phone to instantly reboot and the app still be there, i know this personally from experience with my own phone, thats why i said this.
Regardless, you're still not talking about the right thing. That has nothing to do with being S-ON/S-OFF. That's system write protection which is totally different.

CONdemmedNORmal

Oct 12, 2011
Regardless, you're still not talking about the right thing. That has nothing to do with being S-ON/S-OFF. That's system write protection which is totally different.

yes i know its different things BUT you couldnt write or delete from the system properly without s-off when development for the m4 FIRST started look through a few other threads you'll see what im saying is true so stop going on about something you obviously havent looked into properly, just because thats not the case now or not the case for other phones DOESNT mean it wasnt before, like i said i know from personal experience, that comment was posted months ago trying to give someone else info and is now irrelevant so whats the point in even bringing it back up now?????

Edit: unless your just trying to be picky because i didnt word it to your satisfaction so ill rewrite it here for you......

to update superuser/superSU, delete system apps or do anything to modify the system s-off was required to achieve this otherwise the system would just reboot and the changes that was attempted to be made wouldnt be accepted by the system.

happy??

Last edited:

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
yes i know its different things BUT you couldnt write or delete from the system properly without s-off when development for the m4 FIRST started look through a few other threads you'll see what im saying is true so stop going on about something you obviously havent looked into properly, just because thats not the case now or not the case for other phones DOESNT mean it wasnt before, like i said i know from personal experience, that comment was posted months ago trying to give someone else info and is now irrelevant so whats the point in even bringing it back up now?????

Edit: unless your just trying to be picky because i didnt word it to your satisfaction so ill rewrite it here for you......

to update superuser/superSU, delete system apps or do anything to modify the system s-off was required to achieve this otherwise the system would just reboot and the changes that was attempted to be made wouldnt be accepted by the system.

happy??
Obviously yesterday was "months ago"
And I've looked into this to know what I'm talking about. System write protection is in the kernel and has absolutely nothing to do with S-OFF, no matter the device and the M4 is/was no different.

CONdemmedNORmal

Oct 12, 2011
Obviously yesterday was "months ago"
And I've looked into this to know what I'm talking about. System write protection is in the kernel and has absolutely nothing to do with S-OFF, no matter the device and the M4 is/was no different.

so me and everyone else that couldn't do anything to do with system writing, no matter what kernel without s'ing-off are liers??

and by months ago i mean the comment of mine you first commented on

Edit: besides i never said s-off and s-w-p was the same thing, i mearly said that at the time s-off was required for the ability to have the ability of writing to the system as at the time there wasnt any custom kernels which could achieve this, well stock kernels anyways due to lack of the release of the source code, but i cant be bothered to respond to you anymore all its doing is spamming the thread needlessly, i know what im on about due to like i said dealing with it myself.

Last edited:

nitrox1

May 24, 2010
I'm on hboot 2.21, stock odex stock rom 4.4.2 rooted but for some reason, renove or rumrunner doesn't work for me. Rumrunner gets stuck on 8 out of 40 or something after rebooting. Renove gives me -1 or -2 error and doesn't s-off, can anyone tell me what's wrong? I've followed the instructions perfectly, even flashed the recommended rom..

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

bump

Top Liked Posts